Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Find the Perfect MMORPG

2»

Comments

• NariannaNarianna Member Posts: 11

First, I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone that's responded on here! You guys have been such a big help!

I've downloaded the free trials from every game that would allow it so far, Secret World and GW2 being the only exceptions. I haven't played LOTR yet as it is still installing but I really enjoy SWTOR, especially since the hubby wants to play it. I also really enjoy EQ2. I'm going to watch a few movies where Secret World and GW2 are concerned and see how I feel about them.

I know there is no such thing as a perfect game but I was just wanting to find something close enough. Thanks to everyone that has helped. I let y'all know what I finally pick.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

I really hope you give AoC a shot! ITs a qaulity product with mature folk

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Narianna

Hi everyone! So awhile back I was sucked into MMOs. I tried Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. WoW ended up eating my soul. I lost days playing that game. Well, a man and his children entered my life and I had to stop WoW cold turkey or I'd shirk my ever increasing list of responsibilities.  However, it seems that I've now found a fairly responsible medium of gameplay and I need answers! I have maybe an hour on week nights and a few hours on the weekends to play at most so I want to make sure I pick the perfect game to invest my time and money in. Which would you recommend? Below are some of the things I'd like to find in my perfect MMORPG:

1. I'm big on the Role Playing aspect.

2. I want to be able to solo.

3. Great character customization is a big plus. Both looks and game play.

4. Hotkeys

5. Guilds

6. Mature people. I don't want to play with a bunch of idiots.

7. Good graphics. Nothing 2d flash animation.

8. Creative quests. Not the same find stuff/kill stuff quests over and over again.

9. Professions/crafts. I really like the idea of being able to mindlessly level up a skill.

I've been thinking of going back to Everquest 2 or WOrld of Warcraft again. I've also been toying with the idea of Rift. Can anyone compare/contrast those 3 games? Or give me new options? The hubby has suggested Star Wars Old Republic as well.

Yeah, I have the MMO that meets those 9 requirements and is exceptional.

It's EVE Online.

1.  You want role playing.  In EVE there are entire alliances made up of corporations (corps are like guilds) dedicated to roleplay.  Further, the game is such that your reputation and your past actions and the way you act can and do have a significant effect on how others perceive you, /emotes or not.  It nails Role Playing.

2. Many people do solo.  There are considerable benifits to group play and such, but solo play is both viable and rewarding.

3. EVE has a significantly upgraded character creator, as well as one of the best looking ones, with a load of customization.  Cheekbones a little too high for you?  drag them to where you'd prefer them.  Want to change the corners of the lower lip?  feel free.  After character creation the customization is massive when it comes to gameplay.  Considering it is a classless system, and that you pick areas to focus on to specialize or broaden your skill set, your character is uniquely yours.

4.  There are tons of hotkeys, and many are customizable.  The UI itself can be customized, colored, repositioned, hidden, or scaled.

5. Guilds exist in EVE as corporations.  However, unlike in WoW they have dramaticly improved function and capability.  Instead of just promoting someone to officer, or giving someone invite capability, with EVE you can customize and edit things such as who can view or take from different corp storage, who can edit standings towards other characters/groups, and many more functions.  There is also a ton of corporation (again, guild) related features such as declaring war on other ones to pvp them, and shares that can be used to raise money for the corp and later used to pay dividends.

6. In most MMOs there are idiots.  EVE is no exception.  However, with advanced corporation search and recruitment tools, you can much more easily find one that suits your personal preferences.  Looking for only corporations that like to do activities you enjoy are new player friendly speak english and play in the same hours you do?  You can do a search for recruiting corporations with those terms and more, and find their advertisement and their recruiters.

7. The graphics in EVE have won numerous awards.  They also have undergone significant upgrades over the years, including a massive update in an expansion.  While the game is older than WoW, it also has ridiculously better looking characters, textures, environments.

8. EVE has its fair share of quests, or missions given by NPCs.  They have the usual go here kill these, the couriers.  They also have some geared towards crafting and such.  However the real quests in the game come from emergent player interaction that is far more interesting than a scripted set of objectives ever could be.

9. EVE probably has the best crafting system in an MMO that is active today.  Not only is it an extensive, intricate, impressive system to make items, but it also is neccessary.  In other MMOs crafting 100 daggers that nobody wants and is vendor trash is a way to increase your skill to upgrade to swords that are the same thing.  In EVE, even the most simple things that can be produced easily are things players not only use, but would buy from you.  In EVE, crafting is an integral part of the experience.  Not everyone does it, and those that do can sometimes profit immenseley using that as their sole source of income.  The market to sell items on has advanced features such as graphs displaying trends in prices and history of units sold for things that are sold on the market.

From the MMOs you've played and considered, I realize this one may be a bit different than those.  That is because EVE IS different.  It is not more of the same.  EVE is about a decade old, and has grown in subscribers every single year since its release.  So there are more people playing it now than ever.  Also, it's a game where your actions can truly have an impact.  It's not about gearscore, or what talents you've picked that day.  It's about a massively multiplayer experience that you can not only be a part of, but change through your actions.

It also has a free trial which does not require a credit card I believe.  Those that do subscribe from their trials pay only the 15 dollar subscription fee.  No cost to buy a box, or additional expansion costs.  The tons of expansions for EVE are included, and don't cost extra or separate the community based on who bought or didn't.  It also has no sharding, so when you log in and play, you wouldn't have to worry about switching servers later because your friends play on other ones.

Anyways, good luck in the search!

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Path of Exile is exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Open beta starts this Wed Jan 23rd (Effective launch since its the last character wipe)

I was a beta tester for EVE and kinda miss it. I may take it into consideration...

So I DLed Age of Conan and waiting 8 hours for it to install and whatnot. I finally get ready to play it and it says my graphics card isn't good enough. I've never had a prob with my graphics card. Could someone please take a look at this and see if my card is good enough? (I just copied and pasted from the diagnostics screen.) Maybe the game I DLed is corrupted and I hafta uninstall and reinstall...

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
           Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
              Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)
               DAC type: Internal
             Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_2A9A103C&REV_18
         Display Memory: 1696 MB
       Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
          Shared Memory: 1632 MB
           Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (66Hz)
           Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
          Monitor Model: HP TouchSmart

So I gave up on Age of Conan. I think it has something to do with the fact that their Direct X isn't as high as mine or summin.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Narianna

Hi everyone! So awhile back I was sucked into MMOs. I tried Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. WoW ended up eating my soul. I lost days playing that game. Well, a man and his children entered my life and I had to stop WoW cold turkey or I'd shirk my ever increasing list of responsibilities.  However, it seems that I've now found a fairly responsible medium of gameplay and I need answers! I have maybe an hour on week nights and a few hours on the weekends to play at most so I want to make sure I pick the perfect game to invest my time and money in. Which would you recommend? Below are some of the things I'd like to find in my perfect MMORPG:

1. I'm big on the Role Playing aspect.

2. I want to be able to solo.

3. Great character customization is a big plus. Both looks and game play.

4. Hotkeys

5. Guilds

6. Mature people. I don't want to play with a bunch of idiots.

7. Good graphics. Nothing 2d flash animation.

8. Creative quests. Not the same find stuff/kill stuff quests over and over again.

9. Professions/crafts. I really like the idea of being able to mindlessly level up a skill.

I've been thinking of going back to Everquest 2 or WOrld of Warcraft again. I've also been toying with the idea of Rift. Can anyone compare/contrast those 3 games? Or give me new options? The hubby has suggested Star Wars Old Republic as well.

So I have to +1 on TSW, although I think LOTRO and Vanguard may also be doable -- TSW definitely wins out in the graphics category though.

1. Good RP community and features (the Albion theater and pubs are hotspots)/.  Roll on Arcadia or Leviathan

2. Solo friendly, and I think you'll love the investigations

3. Not as many body and face types but tons of clothes options, which are separate from gear

4. Yep

5. Yes, though they are called cabals -- here's the forum: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

6. Big yes on this -- one of the freindliest communities around, and players tend to be older (30+)

7. Uses DX11, and great on a high end card

8. Many quests require thought -- very little in the way of handholding unless you ask

9. Everyone can craft anything, and more like a Minecraft model.  Probably not the best crafting, but it has some interesting aspects.

Good article on Massively:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/