Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW vs Guild Wars 2

Spartan3088Spartan3088 Member Posts: 35
Just wanted to see what people had to say about these 2 games. I havent played WoW for awhile and i been hearing some good things about mist of pandaria. Dont know much about GW2 however i like the fact that its free to play once u buy the game. Plz tell me that doesnt mean its half the game. idk WoW vs GW2 which way should i go 1st?

Comments

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    both perfectly good enjoyable games to play.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow has better pve
    Gw2 has better pvp
    Gw2 is substantially cheaper to play
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Threads like this never turn out well. And its been asked a million times already.
  • velluccivellucci Member Posts: 23
    Gonna get some popcorn. Anyone want some?
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    In before the lock,,,
  • Spicy_NoodleSpicy_Noodle Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wow has better pve
    Gw2 has better pvp

wrong about PvP until they start implementing new things. WoW surpasses.

right now, GW2 is pretty umpolished compared to WoW.  Not much to do, but leveling and all the achievements/mission and what-not are better on GW2.

End game is also better on WoW, but i'm pretty sure GW2 will become better overtime since it just came out.

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65

None of the above.

I cant stand MMOS like that anymore :/

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wow has better pve
    Gw2 has better pvp

that about sums it up

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Spicy

Wow has shit afterthought pvp. It's a raiding game where they tacked on pvp at the last minute. Wow also spawned a bunch of games with equally shite pvp like swtor and rift.

Gw2 has above average pvp. There are better mmos for pvp like eve though.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

They're very different games. WoW is more about progression and has a raid-based endgame, while GW2 doesn't have much of that, focusing on open world content and small groups, instead. WoW has more content, of course, but GW2 has enough content, too. GW2 definitely has better PvP.

Anyway, if you want a WoW-like game, you should skip GW2. WoW and Rift are still the best WoW-like MMOs. GW2 is for people who got tired of that formula or never liked it in the first place.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I used to love WoW, but the last class and talent changes before MoP really did it in for me. GW2 was fun for a bit and the great thing with it is I can drop it for a while and come back to it.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

What I have found to be true is almost everyone lies in these. They NEVER went and got popcorn! NEVER! 

Anyway I think people start these to just get people upset. Really you played WOW and GW2 and just wonder what some people think? No clue..

One has tons of people one doesnt. One is free one is not.  I don't know of anyone playing Gw2 anymore. Not that its not fun but the others are playing wow so they want to be with them. Like both games ..both are a blast. I wish I saw more people in Gw2 like it was when it started.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

The only thing i miss from WoW is the fishing and my motorcycle mount.

The only thing i miss from GW2 is the ability to easily farm mats for gearing my alts that lasted all of 1 month.

• I played wow for YEARS and quit recently to start playing GW2. Does WOW suck? No, it's a great game, as can be seen by it's consistent record breaking number expansions, and high sub base. I simply got burnt out, and needed something new. Will I go back to WOW at some point? It's almost a guarantee. However I am enjoying my time in GW2, especially the pvp (which is something I never got into in WOW).

I think it boils down to what you want, and what you think you would enjoy playing more. People here can't make that decision for you, as everyone is different and may enjoy things that others may not. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Zeblade

What I have found to be true is almost everyone lies in these. They NEVER went and got popcorn! NEVER! 

Anyway I think people start these to just get people upset. Really you played WOW and GW2 and just wonder what some people think? No clue..

One has tons of people one doesnt. One is free one is not.  I don't know of anyone playing Gw2 anymore. Not that its not fun but the others are playing wow so they want to be with them. Like both games ..both are a blast. I wish I saw more people in Gw2 like it was when it started.

While population has definitely fallen on a lot of servers for GW2, I think you might be surprised how many people actually still play the game. Basically, join any T3 + server and you will see pleanty of players. There are still ques & overflows on all of these servers, depending on where you go.

It's not like how it was @ launch, but it's still very popular, and growing. Furthermore, people have until the 28th to try and find a server they like. That's a big part of GW2, along with finding a guild you actually like. Makes a huge difference.

That said, the biggest difference between the two games, is that WoW is centered around the skinner-box, progression oriented, raider mentallity. It's built for people who want to forever chase that new carrot. Furthermore, it has ~8 years of that built up for you to chase & acquire. GW2 does have some carrots, but it's far from based on that. Most of the people who take issue w/ the game, do so because they feel there is 'no progression'. GW2 has progression, but it's not in chasing the next best pair of magical underpants. It's a game much more focused around skill, strategy, and knowing the classes. This isn't to say that GW2 doesn't have it's own share of problems, but I notice that many people on these forums focus on minor details and treat them like the core distinguishing factor when separating GW2 from other MMOs.