Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So this is some awful joke right?

124»

Comments

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

It is a free to play MMO, so you expect that there will be cash shop transactions for them to make money from.  They have already spent a ton of money on it, and they need some way to recupe it. That is far from unreasonable, especially since you don't NEED to buy anything from the store to play the game.

That said, I think they are being a little short-sighted, with limiting you to only those 5 starting characters, even more importantly, that you can't restart with a different character (at least I couldn't).  That is something that they really need to rethink. Their main focus should be getting people to play and have fun. Once that happens, the money will come. The longer people enjoy the game, the more likely they are to spend cash on virtual things. However, if their initial experience is bad, it is far more likely that they will leave and never return.

I personally disliked the character that I selected when I started. I didn't realize that it was the character, at the time. I just knew that I was bored and was not having fun. I tried to restart to try one of the other characters, but my only option was to continue with the same character.  I was not having fun, and the idea of forcing myself to play, in hopes that another character would drop, was just not appealing. There was no telling when one would drop, and whether I would like the one that did....or even if any character would make a difference. Maybe the game was boring with all characters. I eventually quiting the game, without any thought of returning. 

Since I had the beta forum up at the time, i decided to do a quick search to see how and when I might get a new character drop. I didn't find that out, but I did find out that we were given some store cash to play with in beta, that we could use to buy different characters. I went back in and bought a different character, that I thought i would like, and it was a lot more fun to play.  It was not one of the elite ones either.

I think that forcing people to chose from one of only 5 characters at the start is a bad idea. People like different characters for different reasons, and they may not find one in that 5 that they like. What is even worse is that they do not allow people to start over with new characters if they do not like the one they initially selected (even if they have to delete the first one to do so).It is not just bad for the players, but bad for the devs, as well. I was ready to walk away from the game, without a thought.   It was not fun for me.  However, I had the option of going in and playing a different character by spending the fake store credits. At release, people would have to spend real money to do that, and why would anyone spend real money on a game that is boring to them?

It seems that their idea is that if people don't like their starting character, they will buy a different one...and some may, but others will just leave and never come back.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Yamota
    It's sad to see all these great IPs who I grew up with turn into these trash MMOs. Lord of the Rings, DC, Conan, Warhammer and now Marvel. What a waste of such awesome IPs...

Its not really a mmo...

Its Marvel Ultimate Alliance with a few large scale (optional) co-op zones.

People in this thread crying about the price of founders packs are silly... we can play through the game and find every hero and costumes as drops.

this, i played marvel ultimate alliance and i agree with him. this so called mmo is just a rip off.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    It's sad to see all these great IPs who I grew up with turn into these trash MMOs. Lord of the Rings, DC, Conan, Warhammer and now Marvel. What a waste of such awesome IPs...

idd, i call it purely rape.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Comaf

I am convinced the reasoning behind these doomed exploits is because of the lack of vision on the part of the people who actually get to create these games combined with sickening narcissim.  Giving LOTRO or Age of Conan to the people with the $$$ was the absolutely wrong reason.  Whoever held the rights to these IPs should have waited until someone who truly loved the lore created this stuff.

In a point of irony, I recall spamming the forums about how the opening Age of Conan video showed King Conan banging his fist on a map table, spilling his wine goblet in the process.  He vowed that the invading nations (let's call them realms) would be pushed back, and yet in game, every race and class just ran around together in pve pvp and none of the lore mattered.  Demonologists and Necromancers could run through Cimmeria without fear of being killed on sight.  Priests of Mitra could group with Priests of Set, and slay each other.  It was just nonsense.

In LOTRO, Bob the Dwarf could log in his Monster Player toon - and after the "pvp" he could log Bob back in and go right back to the Ettenmoors.  Total nonsense.  LOTRO couldn't even pull of two obvious factions, built out of arguably the greatest fantasy tale ever devised.

Point is, the authors of the above books have rolled in their graves over the mediocrity that has claimed their works.  And it's a gosh darn shame.  Look at the movie industry hero reboots we keep getting.  There's an obvious ego and denial of one's lack of creative talent issue going on and we as the fans pay the price. 

You are preaching to the choir mate. But this is the reason why I have no doubt what so ever that this game will be complete and utter trash, even though I grew up reading Marvel Comics and still to this day love a lot of them.

What I dont understand is that why are there movies, such as Batman, Spider Man and X-Men, which are great and a tribute to the IP they are based on, yet when it comes to games, we get half-assed, childish nonsense.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Its not really a mmo...

Its Marvel Ultimate Alliance with a few large scale (optional) co-op zones.

People in this thread crying about the price of founders packs are silly... we can play through the game and find every hero and costumes as drops.

this, i played marvel ultimate alliance and i agree with him. this so called mmo is just a rip off.

Wait .. how is this a rip-off? It is a MUA clone that is FREE with 1 hero, and the chance to earn more.

Last time i checked, MUA costs money.

What I dont understand is that why are there movies, such as Batman, Spider Man and X-Men, which are great and a tribute to the IP they are based on, yet when it comes to games, we get half-assed, childish nonsense.

What are you smoking? Marvel Ultimate Alliance, MUA2, X-men Legends 1 & 2 .. are great games.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

What are you smoking? Marvel Ultimate Alliance, MUA2, X-men Legends 1 & 2 .. are great games.

They are not fun for me and many others

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Sorry, should have made it clear, I was referring to MMOs.

But to be honest, those games are good action games, but they lack a certain depth to be anything more than that.

Originally posted by RefMinor

They are not fun for me and many others

That does not make them less great.

They are a) well reviewed, b) sold well, and c) many find fun. Not a single game can please everyone on earth. Using your criterion, there will be no good games.

Sorry, should have made it clear, I was referring to MMOs.

But to be honest, those games are good action games, but they lack a certain depth to be anything more than that.

They are action RPG ... and there is plenty of combat depth (for SP games). In MUA2, there are even combo attacks for specific pairs of heroes.

And they are also good comparison to MH, because MH is designed as such. MH is closer to these great games to traditional MMOs.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

Well quite frankly i rather liked this game, although it needs a lot more polish overall.

Gameplay is ARPG style which works rather well, Marvel theme is just great and like many here have said the game is similar to Marvel UA and X-Men Legends which is a good thing in my opinion as i really enjoyed those games.

What i didn't like was the enemy variety, things got repetitive very very quickly, and that is something they will need to improve a lot.

• protovoxprotovox Member UncommonPosts: 2

i found MH to be quite fun but i can understand how some people wont like it.

The ARPG genre is played out nothing really new. but using the marvel heroes skins brought the genre back for me.

game is repetative yes just like diablo is. u repeat the same old boss runs over n over.

as the beta is right now,  it caps out at lvl 35 . live is 60+

right now monsters are no challenge. cause they have no real affixes to challenge us. something like quick mobs. tough mobs.  they are pretty much gonna have 4-5 affixes in endgame on a strong mob so it becomes more challenging.

plus beta right now the skill trees suck. but the company has already announce the skill trees are changing for every character.

endgame content is being added for the big patch in may roughly  2 weeks b4 live.  so will see how this game will do after we see the new additions in beta.

Originally posted by Vlacke

Well quite frankly i rather liked this game, although it needs a lot more polish overall.

Gameplay is ARPG style which works rather well, Marvel theme is just great and like many here have said the game is similar to Marvel UA and X-Men Legends which is a good thing in my opinion as i really enjoyed those games.

What i didn't like was the enemy variety, things got repetitive very very quickly, and that is something they will need to improve a lot.

I agree. The game is good in the core design philosophy. It is great to make an continuously expanding MUA game.

The issue is in execution. More polish. More content. Better animation. Things like that.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

Have to agree with you there, so many of these games are just , I don't know, generic. DC almost was a great game but they kind of dropped the ball after launch. AOC just launched too early and was obviously incomplete.

Eventually I hope some developer creates a great game, just have to wait I guess.

Originally posted by Pest138

Have to agree with you there, so many of these games are just , I don't know, generic. DC almost was a great game but they kind of dropped the ball after launch. AOC just launched too early and was obviously incomplete.

Eventually I hope some developer creates a great game, just have to wait I guess.

Oh there are plenty of great games. Bioshock was great. Dishonored (and even the DLC) was great.

• xknyghtxknyght Member Posts: 6

You guys do understand this game was made by David Brevik the creator of Diablo 1 and 2? I played this game since closed beta and it's awesome! You still get random drops of heroes if you don't want to spend a dime, and if you decide to buy heroes it's no different than buying champions in League of Legends.

I don't know about you guys but I believe in this game and I think it will succeed. I had a blast playing it with my cousin and looking forward to the release.