Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well it's begun.....

13»

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Sounds like htis forum has a ton of butt hurt people that can't stand the fact Guild Wars 2 is the best game out in the market right now and has suprassed their precious WoW.

First off I dislike WOW, second, GW2 sold 3 mil. How has it surpased the success of WOW?

gw2 has pretty much killed off the subscription model. I don't even play gw 2 but there is no denying it has had an impact on the genre similar to wow had back in 2004. im sure gw2 will grow even bigger this year .

Yeah about that... uhmm... no. The sub model was dying off long before GW2.

Yep I think we can thank the rise of f2p and DDO for the reasons the sub model is dying not GW2 by a long shot.

Not to mention the forever reeapting of the WOW formula, which I think has had the most impact on many of those P2P failures.

Thats part of it I suppose but the fact that we went through a period, 2006 to 2009 when nearly every MMO released unfinished and half arsed, DDO, Vanguard, AOC, Warhammer, Darkfall etc.. it wasn't until Aion released that we had a polished product at release though that had a year to gestate in Asia, but since then at least games have released in better condition ie playable.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    pre-guild wars 2 games were still releasing with a sub fee post guild wars 2 no game will release with a sub fee..so in a way gw2 is the catalyst for change
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    this game is junk in general! Hell i even dare say the devs are worst that the warz devs

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    pre-guild wars 2 games were still releasing with a sub fee post guild wars 2 no game will release with a sub fee..so in a way gw2 is the catalyst for change

Didn't you just accuse someone of having their head in the sand? Many of those same games converted to Freemium before GW2 was released or had started the process. Look I like GW2 I play it and think its a great game but this putting it on a pedestal as a game changer has got top stop, its not its another MMO in a sea oF MMO's. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Sounds like htis forum has a ton of butt hurt people that can't stand the fact Guild Wars 2 is the best game out in the market right now and has suprassed their precious WoW.

First off I dislike WOW, second, GW2 sold 3 mil. How has it surpased the success of WOW?

gw2 has pretty much killed off the subscription model. I don't even play gw 2 but there is no denying it has had an impact on the genre similar to wow had back in 2004. im sure gw2 will grow even bigger this year .

Yeah but B2P and F2P weren't, and aren't, the reason the sub model is dieing.

The whole point of a sub was supposed to be monthly content updates and bug fixing, since the $15/month you're paying, is essentially 1/4 of the price of a new retail game. Yet it turned into bi-monthly, then a few months, then "we'll get to it eventually, just keep paying that subscription". 

In todays technology market where the hardware costs are a fraction of what they once were, whats the excuse for not using a couple hundred thousand subscriptions to create more content for your game? Especially if the box sales paid for the intial development.

GW1, & now 2 (which by the way I don't play either, and never have) proved that just the intial box sales can recoup development costs, and still leave time and money to develop new content (content being a subjective term I suppose).

What a studio needs to do is aim for a realistic level of subscriptions required to maintain, and improve on a base game, and design/build it based on this. Stop trying to be the "WoW killer" and just be a decent product that gamers are willing to pay to play.

EVE (which I am also not playing) has managed this for many years now. 

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    l2p op, you can solo everything and its mother on an engineer.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Didn't you just accuse someone of having their head in the sand? Many of those same games converted to Freemium before GW2 was released or had started the process. Look I like GW2 I play it and think its a great game but this putting it on a pedestal as a game changer has got top stop, its not its another MMO in a sea oF MMO's. 

He was wrong about the list of games that went F2P but he is right in saying that no game from here on out will launch with a sub fee now that GW2 is out. The truth is, if any MMO was to launch with a sub fee, people would compare it to GW2 and ask themselves what it offers them that is greater than GW2 and some people will just say to themselves, "why should I play that when I can play GW2 for just the box price or even other F2P games?"

I believe that GW2 is the cherry topping on the cake that is the end of sub games. Any game going P2P right now has a high chance of failing.

This is not a game.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

He was wrong about the list of games that went F2P but he is right in saying that no game from here on out will launch with a sub fee now that GW2 is out. The truth is, if any MMO was to launch with a sub fee, people would compare it to GW2 and ask themselves what it offers them that is greater than GW2 and some people will just say to themselves, "why should I play that when I can play GW2 for just the box price or even other F2P games?"

I believe that GW2 is the cherry topping on the cake that is the end of sub games. Any game going P2P right now has a high chance of failing.

See, that's just not true. There's still sub games in development.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Not true. AA is launching in Korea with a Sub and if AA has a sub in korea the land of F2P games we will probably get a sub aa aswell. The Sub model is not dead. Generic wow clones are dying. If GW2 was truly amazing and had a sub you would see wow like numbers on it. The model isnt the problem its game design. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've offered a fair mix of criticism for things I don't like within the game on the official forums. I received one non-infraction warning once that I was "pushing the limits" with some of my wording. That was a fair observation, I had gotten a little to hyperbolic. I haven't had a warning/infraction/deletion other than that.

Now, I know there are a few moderators on those forums, every person is different and anyone can "have a bad day", even moderators. Some examples of over moderation, if accurately represented, probably went a little overboard, but it is not like you can't offer polite criticism on the official forums, you can and I do.

Someone said that positive posts get moderator priase, but criticisms get deleted. That's not accurate either. I've seen mods/devs thank players for their critical views many times since the launch of the game.

The moderators do try to weed out trolling and if a thread has become troll bait, some legitimate criticisms might get falsely caught up in the same net.

IMO, Arenanet has achieved a pretty good balance with moderation. More signal, less noise, but users still have the ability to express criticisms.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    i got a temp ban for saying "lol"

Seriously? That's rediculous.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by dimnikar

See, that's just not true. There's still sub games in development.

Which games are in developement that still plan to have a sub?  I'm not saying you are wrong, however most MMOs in developement usually don't post their payment model in advance unless it's a F2P Asian MMO or Anet.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Yep I think we can thank the rise of f2p and DDO for the reasons the sub model is dying not GW2 by a long shot.

DDO has had zero impact on the genre, most mmo players don't even know it exists.

Who said anything about players? The people making the games and trying to make the money are the ones that noticed DDO's revival. Look at it this way:

If WoW showed devs that the sub based model was a good place to start a new mmo, then DDO showed them it's wise to have a backup plan.

GW2 started as a B2P mmo and showed no one anything other than TSW that you shouldn't give away your software client after the conversion to F2P.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

This discussion has been closed.