Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

Comments

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

The story is crap and you're forced to grind inbetween story missions because the level of the story quest jumps. Hearts, which they expect you to grind on are simply boring and repetitive. PvP is broken and unbalanced. The dungons.... Well, they just seem like they didn't playtest them.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by Betakodo

The story is crap and you're forced to grind inbetween story missions because the level of the story quest jumps. Hearts, which they expect you to grind on are simply boring and repetitive. PvP is broken and unbalanced. The dungons.... Well, they just seem like they didn't playtest them.

Story is crap for sure. Leveled an alt to 80 in 5 days so you are definitely not forced to grind. PvP is very well balanced. Dungeons are great just a little bit to easy with an organized group.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Boring game.  I made it to about level 38 but I was still doing the same things as I was at level 1.  Hearts are quests, and quests were always kill this number of mobs of interact with this number of things.  I suppose I could that level of monotony but the game lacked in other areas.

Just like the quests in every other MMORPG, including Vanguard and EQ2...

Crafting was tied to your level, just like every other themepark (exceot Vanguard and EQ2) and nothing you made was very usefl. 

Misinformation. You can craft the best gear possible for your level with materials available at your level, and you can do so even at max level. Maybe you should have tried crafting before dismissing it...

The game world was static. 

More misinformation. If the gameworld in GW2 is static, then the gameworld in other games (including Vanguard and EQ2) is frozen in ice.

I didn't make it to any group content, but from what I saw in the first 38 levels left me confident that there was nothing much to see after that.

You simple can't give an opinion on something you didn't try.

It was never about being easy to play, or hard to play.  The game was just flat out boring.

It's pretty obvious, from you saying that the "quests" aka "hearts" are all the same, and that the "game world was static", that you played GW2 like you played other theme parks, going from heart to heart instead of exploring the world and finding events which are all over the place. You bored yourself out of the game.

In his defense, going from event to event is really no different than going from quest to quest or heart to heart.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Noxxumari
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Since the Nexon take over this game especially the end game is not as advertised, posters here on this site know my history when it comes to this game and I can honestly say STAY AWAY and BEWARE once you reach end game because you will end up having to pay RL money eventually for something to do anything meaningful end game. 

As far as the rewards, there are none except for one single activity, fractals. Nothing else really gives you drops unless you have an extremely luck filled life.

I was the biggest fanboi of this title and for the first month everything was fine. Since Nov however i and others believe that Anet has been taken over by an extremely greedy monetization company and has since become all about the gold. We believe also that they've halted their bot search and destroy programming to allow some gold farmers to remain in the game so they can continue to bleed RL money for gold from the players for even the simplest end game gear or mats to make said gear.

I believe one of the writers of this site has the facts .... this isnt some cry baby response to a game design change, this affects every player and will soon affect Spvp and Tpvp players as soon as they find a way of making extra money off those players as well. It's coming.

Nexon is not your friend.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

Trying to pin the blame squarely on the shoulders of Nexon is pretty dishonest of you IMO. Nexon has a 15% claim in NCsoft holdings. That doesn't mean Nexon swooped in and made Anet change their philosophy on game design. Anet should be held, at least, partially accountable for their decisions.

Love the spin that somehow just because a company doesn't hold 51% doesn't mean they can't control the subsidiaries they possess stocks in. 51% is only required to sell a company not to control it.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Originally posted by emota
    Unfortunately the more you play the more you realise GW2 is a simple beast easy to tame, once tamed it offers little resistance!

Except for the fact that it has arguably the best PvP of any MMO to date and has a dungeon that scales to infinite difficulty.

Arguably a fact, interesting. I will agree I can argue, it s pvp is crap.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    well my friend you got your mmo and i got mine
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Originally posted by emota
    Unfortunately the more you play the more you realise GW2 is a simple beast easy to tame, once tamed it offers little resistance!

Except for the fact that it has arguably the best PvP of any MMO to date and has a dungeon that scales to infinite difficulty.

Arguably a fact, interesting. I will agree I can argue, it s pvp is crap.

I have to somewhat agree with emota here.  The game has alot to offer initially, but once it has all been done it just becomes another grind.  I know most games are unable to avoid this, but GW2 seems to accentuate the grind with ridiculous drop rates, like for instance WvW badges.  They have a low drop rate, yet to get the equivilant gear through Karma vendors or dungeons is ridiculously way more easier. 

I really wanted a good realm vs realm type game here, and it appeared to offer that, but the culling (which I know they have been working on) and crappy RNG drop rates just does not encourage me log on and grind mobs/players ad nauseum.  I also am not a fan of the fractals, or any instanced content for that matter.  Ever since the fractal dungeons were introduced the open world aspect of the game died nearly completely outside of orr.

I am on a full server and yet most of the world outside fractal runs, lion's arch, orr, and WvW is a ghost town.  Im not complaining, just telling it like it is.

For its price it is a great game, it just is missing good social tools and reasons to not farm instances all day.  At least that is my two cents on the matter.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

GW2 similar to Rift? Have you even played the game?

More misinformation spread on mmorpg.com, what a surprise...

You're correct!  I'd rather play Rift, at least I didn't get bored playing it.

Rift? lol

Only noce thing about Rift were open beta weekends so you can find out how bland the game is. Only thing Rift has is instance progression for those who like that, but it seems not many at all do.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Play Gw2 for 200 hours after having played gw1 and got really excited..

then we talk again :P

(already totally quit gw2 after that and tbh dont regret it)

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by mikahr
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

Rift? lol

Only noce thing about Rift were open beta weekends so you can find out how bland the game is. Only thing Rift has is instance progression for those who like that, but it seems not many at all do.

I would also rather play Rift. At least in Rift the classes seem different and more fun to play because of it. In GW2, I have created 3 characters that interest me the most, then I have one character slot in that I use to try all of the other classes. I have now tried them all and they all feel really blah. It may just be me, but they all feel the same. The weapon swapping for new specials was cool in the beginning, but now it makes all of the classes too similar in mechanics.

I don't hate GW2, but something has to change to keep me interested in it.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Since the Nexon take over this game especially the end game is not as advertised, posters here on this site know my history when it comes to this game and I can honestly say STAY AWAY and BEWARE once you reach end game because you will end up having to pay RL money eventually for something to do anything meaningful end game. 

As far as the rewards, there are none except for one single activity, fractals. Nothing else really gives you drops unless you have an extremely luck filled life.

I was the biggest fanboi of this title and for the first month everything was fine. Since Nov however i and others believe that Anet has been taken over by an extremely greedy monetization company and has since become all about the gold. We believe also that they've halted their bot search and destroy programming to allow some gold farmers to remain in the game so they can continue to bleed RL money for gold from the players for even the simplest end game gear or mats to make said gear.

I believe one of the writers of this site has the facts .... this isnt some cry baby response to a game design change, this affects every player and will soon affect Spvp and Tpvp players as soon as they find a way of making extra money off those players as well. It's coming.

Nexon is not your friend.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

Trying to pin the blame squarely on the shoulders of Nexon is pretty dishonest of you IMO. Nexon has a 15% claim in NCsoft holdings. That doesn't mean Nexon swooped in and made Anet change their philosophy on game design. Anet should be held, at least, partially accountable for their decisions.

Love the spin that somehow just because a company doesn't hold 51% doesn't mean they can't control the subsidiaries they possess stocks in. 51% is only required to sell a company not to control it.

Spin? I'm just saying that Nexon isn't completely accountable as you're trying to suggest. Get a grip. 

• NoxxumariNoxxumari Member Posts: 16
    I think part of the problem is people tend to power through games and play it like other mmos, its a casual game not a hardcore game with raids etc, at least yet, from what Colin was saying in that live feed that they have a lot planned for the game in the near future and hopefully that means more to do or those that want to play it like a solo game until its "time to raid".
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I think part of the problem is people tend to power through games and play it like other mmos, its a casual game not a hardcore game with raids etc, at least yet, from what Colin was saying in that live feed that they have a lot planned for the game in the near future and hopefully that means more to do or those that want to play it like a solo game until its "time to raid".

i still do find it funny people who played this game for 500+ hours claim they just play casually... me and number of my friends play and with work and family we surely play casually and have around 350 hours since launch

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This game does a lot in PvE right, but difficulty isn't one of them. The game is waaaay too easy.

Joined - July 2004

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by mikahr

Rift? lol

Yes, I'd much rather play Rift than GW2.  GW2 looks good, but it takes more than that to keep me interested.  I lost interest in it in 3 weeks.  That's faster than WoW for crying out loud.  I even played DDO for longer.  GW2 is so easy it's pathetic.  I only died in PVE when I would purposely pull numerous mobs to try and create some some excitement, the "dungeons" were meh, and PVP was simply a Zerg fest to me.  These are my opinions and if you like GW2 then play and have a blast.  I'm personally waiting for something else to come out.  

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

Hahahahaha, you said Progression in relation to GW2!  ROFL!  Sorry, that's one major area where this game is NOT like other MMORPGs and therefore takes it out of that realm of labeling.  However, I have heard rumors of upcoming progression systems which could change this, but until then, this game is again, another glorified co-op online RPG with PVP just like the first game.  Only good thing about GW2 over its predecessor is this can grow into a living world with multiple progression paths that make one want to play it for years on end.  Potential is there.  But then, we've all heard that before...

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by remyburke
    This game does a lot in PvE right, but difficulty isn't one of them. The game is waaaay too easy.

Are you playing the same game, try an engineer or thief at mid levels!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by zastroph

most i know that found the game to "easy" played warrior.. there surely is a big gap in solo difficulty in some classes compared to others.. also many played at launch and just followed the huge zerg from place to place so never really got to see how hard some of the areas can be..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by zastroph

My main is an engineer and I have had very little problems leveling him. I won't say it is easy, but I also won't say that it has been difficult.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

Great to see someone is enjoying this game.

I enjoyed it for the time I played it for, I would of played more GW2 if I hadn't of been burnt out of themepark MMO's with traditional leveling at the time.

Have fun OP!

I have 3 lvl 80 chars, a lvl 75 engineer and a lvl 42 thief.

Dependant on the time of day, and where you live in the world, you may or may not be able to find others to help. If not, trying to solo some of these classes can be very hard when facing mobs.

I have not played a guardian, so for me, the game has not been easy at all!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I leveled an ele as my first 80 and boy was that hard.

Guardian to 80 was pretty okay.

Mesmer 20ish right now is just a PITA so I said 'screw this' and doing WvW only.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

I started with a necro, got to lvl 3 and decided to switch to something that did not die so often. Moved on to level a ranger to lvl 80, Then an ele to lvl 80. went back to my necro and now find it a very good pve char especially with bleed condition attacks. Tackle almost anything except some of the bigger champions whilst soloing. Engineer was a pitb to start, but gets better. Thief much the same as engineer!
  • DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Rift bored the heck out of me.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Dawnstar
    Rift bored the heck out of me.

The only people that can find Rift better want:

a) trinity

b) uber lewt

and thats OK, go play Rift then, but in all areas GW2 is superior game.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I would also rather play Rift. At least in Rift the classes seem different and more fun to play because of it. In GW2, I have created 3 characters that interest me the most, then I have one character slot in that I use to try all of the other classes. I have now tried them all and they all feel really blah. It may just be me, but they all feel the same. The weapon swapping for new specials was cool in the beginning, but now it makes all of the classes too similar in mechanics.

I don't hate GW2, but something has to change to keep me interested in it.

I played 3 classes more seriously so far (and yes i play them more than lvl2 "to try them out") and those play COMPLETELY different with COMPLETELY different mechanics.

Guardian-Necro-Thief

And ability to swap weapons does not "make them all similar in mechanics". Its like saying that souls make every class the same in Rift.