Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by elitero
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by Noxxumari

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

I guess all the cathedral events were 1 man'd by you right? hell even the fire elemental event in asura 1-15 zone was just 1 man'd by you right? Oh wait you wouldn't know any of this because you don't even play the game lol. quickly now google what I am talking about and tell me how easy it is. =)

Wait wut? Those are group events, whether they are "hard" or not depends on how "hard" they are for a group to do. And when you have a group, well they don't take much, if any skill to bring down.

Outside of dungeons (perhaps) and high level PvP, most of it is a cake walk requiring very, very little skill. But then, it is similar for most other mmos.

I am simply replying to him saying nothing is hard in the game, which is not true i mean there is a god damn thread on the main forums to find a server where the Preist of balthazar is downed so people can pick up Obsidian shards. there are many aspects that require skill and teamwork to simply say there is nothing hard then you (well not you) have not played the game very long or have not played it at all.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    There is so much shit in this game that you can't do solo. Don't talk about the game not being hard. This game has some very very difficult bosses and events that sometimes even random PUG's can't do together.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

Hearts are quests, anyone who denies that is delusional. Also yes the mobs stand around for you to kill them and the heart(quest) tells you how many to kill. But instead of a number you get a bar, which obviously represents a number you just don't know which one.

"Dem spiders here ruinin my trees, squish them so my trees are no more scare for me when pick apple", then you have to "fill your bar" by killing spiders, which is essentially just killing 10 of 10 spiders.

You know what's funny?

Hearts wasent even in the game back in beta because people felt lost and didn't know what to do.

Kinda funny now when they are in same people complain GW2 is same ol same ol.

You see heart quest were never intended from the beginning.

Like your example there, Queensdale lvl 8-9 heart quest range, you ever played past that?

You prolly say yes and you have a main who is 80 done everything so i spare a respons...I don't believe you.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by zastroph
    So, what do you do when there are no other players in the area that your playing and your trying to play an unbalanced class like thief or engineer. Fighting one thing at a time is not always possible and death is frequent!

The Theif and Engineer can take on multiple mobs and still come out just fine even as glass cannon. I have 2 level 80 theives and an engineer and i have no problem taking on anything. Maybe your just bad.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TCTC
    So, what do you do when there are no other players in the area that your playing and your trying to play an unbalanced class like thief or engineer. Fighting one thing at a time is not always possible and death is frequent!

The Theif and Engineer can take on multiple mobs and still come out just fine even as glass cannon. I have 2 level 80 theives and an engineer and i have no problem taking on anything. Maybe your just bad.

for thief once you are high enough to get ambush it's a ton easier.. until then i had issues with multiple mobs.. i don't play an engineer but seen them easily take out groups of enemies if built for it. Build really is huge(especially 40+) in this game no matter what people think..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by TCTC

for thief once you are high enough to get ambush it's a ton easier.. until then i had issues with multiple mobs.. i don't play an engineer but seen them easily take out groups of enemies if built for it. Build really is huge(especially 40+) in this game no matter what people think..

Yeah ambush makes things a little easier but going condi for leveling as a theif is so much easier.  Super Elixer for engineer makes multiple mobs pretty easy when combined with elixer H and B. And  adding turrets just make it better!

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

You again? It has already been proved you never got deep into the game and didnt even know the basics of healing, tanking or playing one of the deeper classes.

I would love for you to hop back into the game, transfer to my server and have a little contest to see who can kill the MOST, the fastest, see if you can survive taking on a vet and 4 other mobs at the same time in Orr...see your underwater combat skills lol.

you are mistaking me for someone else. If not, link to the thread that all that was "proved".

Also, dodging and using 10 (lol) skills is considered "skill" now? Are you comparing this to LoL and dota or something?

First of all, you have much more than 10 skills, because you can equip more than one weapon, also there are skills who replace your weapon skills with other ones and finally there are skills who are 2 or even 3 in one, for instance as a necromancer there is a skill who lets you summon 2 bone minions, if you press the skill again they explode for some nice AoE damage. In most MMOs these would be 2 skills on your skillbar. So it appears at first that you only have 10 skills, but if you dig deeper into the combat system you see that you have a lot more skills available and to be able to get the most out of it you need to use them synergistically.

Then there are the combo fields, which can give you all kinds of boons, shield and other effects depending on what combo field it is and what finisher you use in them. You can use your own combo fields as well as combo fields other players put down.

The trait system is one of the deepest I have seen in any MMO, you really have to make hard choices here, in other words: you have to match the traits with your prefered playstyle. Also, you have to keep in mind the effects that they have on certain skills and the synergy between the traits. And there is also a reason certain traitlines give certain stat bonuses. These are all things you have to consider if you want to make a succeful build in GW2.

And then there's the whole 'cakewalk' thing: if you pay attention to what you are doing and you don't aggro too many mobs your leveling up isn't all too  difficult. However I wouldn't call it a 'cakewalk'. You will still die now and then. Solo'ing champions will be very hard if not impossible when you're the same lvl as the area the champ is in, same if you want to take on more than one veteran and some normal mobs, only as a lvl 80 guardian with full exotic gear I could take on champions single handedly in lower lvl areas and even then I had to pay attention to what I was doing.

Some of the dungeons are really hard, especially if you're not lvl 80, so if you don't know that you're doing you will die a lot and it will take a very long time do defeat the bosses. They also recently added a dungeon which scales in difficulty. The dozens of Jumping Puzzles that are in the game can also be challenging and require skill. So there's enough challenging content in the game. So all this talk about GW2 being too easy is just nonsense in my opinion.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

Hearts are quests, anyone who denies that is delusional. Also yes the mobs stand around for you to kill them and the heart(quest) tells you how many to kill. But instead of a number you get a bar, which obviously represents a number you just don't know which one.

"Dem spiders here ruinin my trees, squish them so my trees are no more scare for me when pick apple", then you have to "fill your bar" by killing spiders, which is essentially just killing 10 of 10 spiders.

You know what's funny?

Hearts wasent even in the game back in beta because people felt lost and didn't know what to do.

Kinda funny now when they are in same people complain GW2 is same ol same ol.

You see heart quest were never intended from the beginning.

Like your example there, Queensdale lvl 8-9 heart quest range, you ever played past that?

You prolly say yes and you have a main who is 80 done everything so i spare a respons...I don't believe you.

Yes I have an 80 and i've certainly played my fair share. I quit a bit more than 2 months ago, so I logged almost 500 hours in a month and a half.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

GW2 similar to Rift? Have you even played the game?

More misinformation spread on mmorpg.com, what a surprise...

Your right, no world pvp, raids, alternant advancement, or item progression in GW2. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Your right, no world pvp, raids, alternant advancement, or item progression in GW2. 

after all these months still can't stop talking about this game? wushu hasn't sucked you up? :) anyway not sure how you can say gw2 has no item progression.. maybe not the same as other MMOs but surely has item progression.. also levels, skill points, and traits are 3 differn't forms of advancement so game surely has alternate forms of advancement.. maybe just nothing to keep you or others hooked but doesn't mean it's not there.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

after all these months still can't stop talking about this game? wushu hasn't sucked you up? :) anyway not sure how you can say gw2 has no item progression.. maybe not the same as other MMOs but surely has item progression.. also levels, skill points, and traits are 3 differn't forms of advancement so game surely has alternate forms of advancement.. maybe just nothing to keep you or others hooked but doesn't mean it's not there.

WB! 

There you go with that redefining again ;) 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

So, it pretty much IS a normal MMO, just with less types of content because of some of the design choices made by the devs.  I think that's one major reason it has such poor longevity.

To me, the DEs weren't nearly as interesting as promised.  WvW is also an underwhelming, sterile zerg-fest.

Overall, it's just a very average game, and below average in several ways.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

WB! 

There you go with that redefining again ;) 

with new job i don't expect to be posting much anymore as I can't post at work anymore.. but still how am i redefining anything? does GW2 have multiple sets of gear that progressively get better as you level? yes it does.. is leveling your only source of character advancement? no it is not so there are alternate forms of advancement.. again obviously it's not something that interests everyone in how it's implemented but doesn't mean it's not there

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Boring game.  I made it to about level 38 but I was still doing the same things as I was at level 1.  Hearts are quests, and quests were always kill this number of mobs of interact with this number of things.  I suppose I could that level of monotony but the game lacked in other areas.

Crafting was tied to your level, just like every other themepark (exceot Vanguard and EQ2) and nothing you made was very usefl.  The game world was static.  Sure, the main human city looked awesome....but nothing was really happening in it.  Actually, that random laughing guy got on my nerves.....if you visited that city, you know what I am talking about.

I didn't make it to any group content, but from what I saw in the first 38 levels left me confident that there was nothing much to see after that.

It was never about being easy to play, or hard to play.  The game was just flat out boring.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

My Engineer is still fairly low level, but thief is one of the four professions that I've leveled to 80. If you have trouble soloing non-group content with a thief, you need to hone your game play skills, make sure your gear is fairly up to date and maybe choose a better build.

I've found this to be the case with every profession so far.  That's not to say I haven't had some rough spots, but when I have, rather than blame the game I've found the proper adjustments to my game play and my build to overcome those issues.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Boring game.  I made it to about level 38 but I was still doing the same things as I was at level 1.  Hearts are quests, and quests were always kill this number of mobs of interact with this number of things.  I suppose I could that level of monotony but the game lacked in other areas.

Crafting was tied to your level, just like every other themepark (exceot Vanguard and EQ2) and nothing you made was very usefl.  The game world was static.  Sure, the main human city looked awesome....but nothing was really happening in it.  Actually, that random laughing guy got on my nerves.....if you visited that city, you know what I am talking about.

I didn't make it to any group content, but from what I saw in the first 38 levels left me confident that there was nothing much to see after that.

It was never about being easy to play, or hard to play.  The game was just flat out boring.

If you don't kill something or interact with something, what exactly would you propose doing? I'm almost to 800 hours played and still am not feeling any monotony, so not really sure what you are talking about. It's possible you reached level 38, but what did you do and where did you go? There are so many places to go and things to do in this game it can be overwhelming. By level 38 you'd have access to maybe 40% of the game world. I doubt you saw more than a sliver of what was available.

Crafting is in no way tied to level. If you have the resources, you can pick up a craft at level 2 and max it it one sitting. Youir character levels via crafting, so you'd be level 12, but your level doesn't limit your ability to progress crafting.

Game play is subjective. Maybe you did find some way to become bored with the game, but it's not a boring game.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• NoxxumariNoxxumari Member Posts: 16
    hey thanks for the heavy response, I surely wasnt expecting all this. I am level 20 currently, and found out the hard way (multiple deaths and overly squishy) that proper gear and spec are paramount for survival. I can take on several mobs at once as a thief depending on how I engage and if im jumped or not. This is not like any mmo out currently that I have played, which has been just about all the main MMOs from EQ 1 and 2, swg so and and so on. if anything it reminds me of SWG before they made doctor buffs overly amazing. I will be playing this until they shutter.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift. Well the only thing unique I'll say is that casting spells don't root you. You can run & gun on the fly basically. Other than that it's Themepark 101 and nothing new to see.

Pretty much.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

GW2 similar to Rift? Have you even played the game?

More misinformation spread on mmorpg.com, what a surprise...

You're correct!  I'd rather play Rift, at least I didn't get bored playing it.

Because spamming one button is better than using ten right?

Only if you choose to. I am an anti-macro kinda' guy.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    hey thanks for the heavy response, I surely wasnt expecting all this. I am level 20 currently, and found out the hard way (multiple deaths and overly squishy) that proper gear and spec are paramount for survival. I can take on several mobs at once as a thief depending on how I engage and if im jumped or not. This is not like any mmo out currently that I have played, which has been just about all the main MMOs from EQ 1 and 2, swg so and and so on. if anything it reminds me of SWG before they made doctor buffs overly amazing. I will be playing this until they shutter.

That's good and all and I'm happy for you, just be warned that there are posters here on this forum that will continue to tell you that you actually shouldn't like the game becuase they don't.  You have obviously played other MMOs so you know what GW2 has to offer over the others (que in snide remark from a usual suspect).  Enjoy the ride and I recomend trying some WvW if you havn't already which is a great alternative way to earn Exp and Karma. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Since the Nexon take over this game especially the end game is not as advertised, posters here on this site know my history when it comes to this game and I can honestly say STAY AWAY and BEWARE once you reach end game because you will end up having to pay RL money eventually for something to do anything meaningful end game. 

As far as the rewards, there are none except for one single activity, fractals. Nothing else really gives you drops unless you have an extremely luck filled life.

I was the biggest fanboi of this title and for the first month everything was fine. Since Nov however i and others believe that Anet has been taken over by an extremely greedy monetization company and has since become all about the gold. We believe also that they've halted their bot search and destroy programming to allow some gold farmers to remain in the game so they can continue to bleed RL money for gold from the players for even the simplest end game gear or mats to make said gear.

I believe one of the writers of this site has the facts .... this isnt some cry baby response to a game design change, this affects every player and will soon affect Spvp and Tpvp players as soon as they find a way of making extra money off those players as well. It's coming.

Nexon is not your friend.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Since the Nexon take over this game especially the end game is not as advertised, posters here on this site know my history when it comes to this game and I can honestly say STAY AWAY and BEWARE once you reach end game because you will end up having to pay RL money eventually for something to do anything meaningful end game. 

As far as the rewards, there are none except for one single activity, fractals. Nothing else really gives you drops unless you have an extremely luck filled life.

I was the biggest fanboi of this title and for the first month everything was fine. Since Nov however i and others believe that Anet has been taken over by an extremely greedy monetization company and has since become all about the gold. We believe also that they've halted their bot search and destroy programming to allow some gold farmers to remain in the game so they can continue to bleed RL money for gold from the players for even the simplest end game gear or mats to make said gear.

I believe one of the writers of this site has the facts .... this isnt some cry baby response to a game design change, this affects every player and will soon affect Spvp and Tpvp players as soon as they find a way of making extra money off those players as well. It's coming.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

Trying to pin the blame squarely on the shoulders of Nexon is pretty dishonest of you IMO. Nexon has a 15% claim in NCsoft holdings. That doesn't mean Nexon swooped in and made Anet change their philosophy on game design. Anet should be held, at least, partially accountable for their decisions.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Read that far then scratched my head and laughed at you. What a derp. Please explain what is "meaninful" that you gotta pay "RL money" for? LMFAO

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Unfortunately the more you play the more you realise GW2 is a simple beast easy to tame, once tamed it offers little resistance!
    Originally posted by emota
    Unfortunately the more you play the more you realise GW2 is a simple beast easy to tame, once tamed it offers little resistance!

Except for the fact that it has arguably the best PvP of any MMO to date and has a dungeon that scales to infinite difficulty.