Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do "some" people enjoy an MMO being shut down or doing badly?

123457»

Comments

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

people dont want other people to have fun in other games, because that would reduce the interest and fun in "their" "main" game :P

Everyone wants the game they play themselfs to reach the top, even if they have to mentally destroy all other games :P

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Scot
    Being glad something failed because you did not like it is immature, but then many players and posters are in their teens. This should be expected when you think of the age demographic.

It has nothing to do with the age demographic.   Do you ever read any political forums or comment sections?  Those people live for the "other guy" making a mistake or being involved in some type of scandel.  That demographics is much older then the gamers.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I am a MMO consumer In general who are interested in MMOs that should advance the genre not stagnate it.

As am I and goodness knows I have a critical side, but I'm just not convinced that constant negativity and tearing down what people have automatically leads to bigger and better things being built in its place.
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Its a negative part of human nature and enjoyed for the same reason people enjoy seeing those they dislike suffer or have hard times. Vicariously, it makes them feel better about themselves and their choices. The germans even have a word for it: Schadenfreude.

This

It's funny that so few people admit it, if you look at replies you see a lot of dodges, but the heart of it is that it seems to validate people.

"If I dont like it, then it must be bad" they want to be right, or they want their taste to be agreed with.

The thing is, the more choices we have, the better, the more niche groups get something that they enjoy. Titles dont have to be for everyone, and this isnt 1999, where mainstream gamers had EQ or UO, and not much else.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

I don't think we enjoy seeing games fail, but more like we've become jaded and disullsionized by so many low-quality games, or developers who backstab the customers with false or empty promises, that when we see a game not living up to our expectations and the hype, we just pass it off as something that will not succeed. I agree in that it's truly a negative way of seeing things, but at the same time you have to wonder where all these feelings stemmed from. It's a chicken or the egg conundrum.

The way I see it, if games were less produced but whatever is made is of actual merit (i.e. quality over quantity) then I don't think you'd see so much negativity. That's how it was back in the day when online gaming was just emerging. But now that we're in an age where we're just inundated with so many games (most of them redundant, mundane, and un-innovative) it's much easier to hop from one game to another and leaving behind messages of doom and gloom.

We can't stop the train of games from coming, but what we CAN do is make it known to developers out there that we're looking for quality titles. Sadly, it seems like developers themselves have forgotten the reasons why they're in the gaming industry in the first place and now are just money-hungry and not delivering titles truly worth their own time, money, effort, and skills.

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194
    Yep nothing to do with age and everything to do with the black/white world view of alot of people these days.  In other words if it doesn't completly conform to me it must be wrong and should therefore fail.  It's in everything these days not just games.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I am a MMO consumer In general who are interested in MMOs that should advance the genre not stagnate it.

but I'm just not convinced that constant negativity and tearing down what people have automatically leads to bigger and better things being built in its place.

Our world is built on it, If it weren't, we would still be living in caves.

Sure you can argue that living in caves is better than the world we live in today but you can't deny the progress mankind have done with constant negativity and tearing down everything they thought was crap ;)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Sugoi-chanSugoi-chan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Because they know a guy, who dated a girl who was best friends of a blogger that said the game was bad and we should all be happy that it failed.

Chuckle.

Is there a fat German word for "arrested adolescent still pining for how cool games felt during his misspent youth"?

If not, I'll go ahead and run for the office.

How about a first pass translation of the phrase you used?

Festgenommen Jugendlichen noch Sehnsucht nach wie coole Spiele spürte während seines vergeudeten Jugend.

When I originally studied German (back in the mid-60s) my instructor made one factor very clear to his students:

"Germans never use a single word when a sentence will do, a sentence when a paragraph will do, or a paragraph when a volume will do."

After learning that one fact, the rest of my 3 years of German studies was fun.  It made living there for 3-1/2 years a lot of fun!

But I have to admit "Schadenfreude" pretty much says it all, even if it is an exception to the Primary Law of learning German.  There are always exceptions. ;-)

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I was hoping this thread would be shut down or do badly.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

That's it man, game over man, game over!

Did we forget what's possibly the very simplest explanation?

Drama Llamas?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

The human condition craves excitement. There is more attention given to something exciting, than something normal.

Would you rather watch an old lady cross the street safely with the help of someone, or a gross accident that escalates into a gun fight, a high speed chase and the murder of a few individuals?

If you could ONLY pick one, it will probably be the accident scene.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Scot
    Being glad something failed because you did not like it is immature, but then many players and posters are in their teens. This should be expected when you think of the age demographic.

It has nothing to do with the age demographic.   Do you ever read any political forums or comment sections?  Those people live for the "other guy" making a mistake or being involved in some type of scandel.  That demographics is much older then the gamers.

What you are seeing in a politics forum is political beliefs being challenged and upheld. These are very deep rooted and it is hardly surprising that challenging them causes a strong reaction and that failure on the other side is seen with glee.

When you see that sort of reaction about a game it is a sign of immaturity and shows that we do have a young demographic on gaming forums. Having a young demographic on gaming forums should not come as a surprise to anyone either.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

When Dragon Empires (sandbox) was cancelled I was upset.  I never wished poor upon a game at the time...  Then PS1 and SWG came out, and they were among my fav all time games.  Great!  Then WoW came out, and I played till max lvl but it wasnt that great so I stopped...  Then SOE destroyed SWG, and we all knew it was thanks to the developer culture shift towards WoW like games.  SWG was changed to a new game experience.  MEO (sandbox) was cancelled for LOTRO.  Wish was cancelled.  A lot of games were cancelled.

I think a lot of people on these forums have similar experience to me, where they saw games that were unique get cancelled, while games that were copy cats of other games continue on.  Obvious reasons...  Investors don't want to invest in the unique, they want to invest in what will make them money.  That doesnt satisify those looking for the unique.

So when LOTRO came I hoped it would crash and burn to show teach developers a lesson, they should have made MEO.

So when SWTOR came I hoped it would fail and everyone who played it would exclaim how inferior it was to SWG.

And when I read about games like warhammer I laughed that they weren't doing 3 factions but instead 2 like WoW did instead of like my beloved DAOC and PS1.

But even when games that I want to fail fail I do not really enjoy it; in the end this whole genre makes me sad and I don't really follow the mmo news anymore.  Just ocassionally check in with it every few months... Nothing new ever really seems to happen anyways. I feel silly wanting games to fail but I stand by my justifications.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

When Dragon Empires (sandbox) was cancelled I was upset.  I never wished poor upon a game at the time...  Then PS1 and SWG came out, and they were among my fav all time games.  Great!  Then WoW came out, and I played till max lvl but it wasnt that great so I stopped...  Then SOE destroyed SWG, and we all knew it was thanks to the developer culture shift towards WoW like games.  SWG was changed to a new game experience.  MEO (sandbox) was cancelled for LOTRO.  Wish was cancelled.  A lot of games were cancelled.

I think a lot of people on these forums have similar experience to me, where they saw games that were unique get cancelled, while games that were copy cats of other games continue on.  Obvious reasons...  Investors don't want to invest in the unique, they want to invest in what will make them money.  That doesnt satisify those looking for the unique.

So when LOTRO came I hoped it would crash and burn to show teach developers a lesson, they should have made MEO.

So when SWTOR came I hoped it would fail and everyone who played it would exclaim how inferior it was to SWG.

And when I read about games like warhammer I laughed that they weren't doing 3 factions but instead 2 like WoW did instead of like my beloved DAOC and PS1.

But even when games that I want to fail fail I do not really enjoy it; in the end this whole genre makes me sad and I don't really follow the mmo news anymore.  Just ocassionally check in with it every few months... Nothing new ever really seems to happen anyways. I feel silly wanting games to fail but I stand by my justifications.

Completely agreed and quoted for emphasis.

I'm hoping Kickstarter can change the cold economy aspect for MMORPG and we can see some true innovation in the genre.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    When a MMO shuts down, it is because it failed.  By shutting it down the resources/consumers being used on it will go to another better project thus a celebration is in order.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by wizyy
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

Completely agreed and quoted for emphasis.

I'm hoping Kickstarter can change the cold economy aspect for MMORPG and we can see some true innovation in the genre.

I definitely like kickstarter and I hope to see some cool mmorpgs on it :)

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.