Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do "some" people enjoy an MMO being shut down or doing badly?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

It doesn't make sense. And it is a growing problem...or the problem is just more noticeable with more people playing MMOs. The person may not like said MMO. But, there are developers that have to get paid and they probably (hopefully) even enjoy what they do. Working on an MMO for years, only to get "everyone" cheering that it the game is dead (population wise) or having to be closed down. Not seeming to care at all that there are still people that actually enjoyed that MMO.

You don't see me going around cheering Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) died, just because I didn't like it. If I did, I would be flamed to death...but it is no different than someone cheering about another MMO that died. 

Is there a reason people seem to find gratification about seeing an MMO closed, even though it had the players that actually ENJOYED that MMO? Is there a reason people cheer that a MMO died? It makes no sense. When it was developed for years, enjoyed by at least some? That is like going to an art gallery and saying "yup I can do better, that painting sucks"...well...you most likely didn't do better, because you don't have any painting in an art gallery. (incoming real world artist :P)

Analogies aside...since really it was just a rather sideways example. More MMOs are better for everyone. But it isn't just MMOs that run into this...people find enjoyment in other games doing bad too or failing to meet expectations. But again going back to SWG...it was my least favorite MMO I played. I tried at release and a few times after. And I don't go around cheering and saying "good riddance, less filth in the MMO genre". Because I know there was people that actually liked it.

I would be banned for trolling in most forums if I did that to SWG, but that doesn't happen with other MMOs people cheer for that are dead in population or closed down. 

So again...why do "some" people find enjoyment in a MMO being closed or doing badly?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Misery loves company.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Because you have to tear down the old building and haul off the garbage before you can build something people will actually enjoy. The more MMO's that fail, the more likely we are to end up getting good games.

I personally don't enjoy watching games fail, but I would guess that would be the reason.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    If a game is highly successful, then there are likely to be many efforts at copying it.  You want that to happen to games you like, not games you hate.
  • bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

i see that many trolls target swtor for some reason. its a pretty good game. but once they have a target they wont let go it seems.

just becouse strippers doesnt jump out of the box or that life somehow doesnt improves just by playing doesnt mean thats ok to destroy a game.

dunno i allmost allways just play or try to be optimistic about the game. after all its just a game.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Its a negative part of human nature and enjoyed for the same reason people enjoy seeing those they dislike suffer or have hard times. Vicariously, it makes them feel better about themselves and their choices. The germans even have a word for it: Schadenfreude.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    I don't enjoy watching the companies die as much as I enjoy the type of billing method or gameplay focus they chose (even tho they knew it was antiquated and would most likely fail) die. The gameplay focus will make or break and game and the last thing this genre of gaming needs is yet another subscription only lobby style dungeon/instance gear treadmill where everyone's standing around in the cities waiting to be teleported to the dungeon. When those fail that gives me hope that the next one will have better management, one where gamers are in charge, particularly gamers that know mmo history.
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    If a game is plain bad (which many are) it needs to die, hard, before other developers get duped into thinking it is good and make a copy of it. It seems these days 80% or more of MMOs released are carbon copies of some piece of shit, or they do try to innovate and it just doesn't work. The games plain suck, and they need to die before they pollute the market any further.

Where's the any key?

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    People have a certain affinity for one mmo, much like a football team, and they see others as competition.  It's standard 'group behaviour'- nothing abnormal about it.  
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I want to see a ton of mmos shut down, for a good reason,  the market is way over crowded, meaning the good companies have less $$$ to produce good quality games, so we keep getting stuck with subpar games since the money is spread around too much.

like gpotato for example , would love to see them tank and have no one ever give them another penny.

maybe if the market only had 20-30 mmos instead of a 1000 them 20 or so would be amazing games

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

SWG is a special case.

There, you had much a beloved, if not overwhelmingly popular game (but had strong numbers for the time), ruined by the most ill-advised revamp of a released game in MMO history, with the NGE. It was also done, with the developers/publishers knowing and acknowleding that most or all of their existing players would likely quit (see the infamous Rubenfeld "om-nom-nom" blog for that one).

And additionally, it was done after SOE President John Smedley stated that the "Combat Upgrade (CU)" version of a the game, which was a previously done and not very popular major revamp of the game from the original version, was "there to stay".

Such an intentional alienation of a long paying (and suffering, in the case of SWG) playerbase is not something easily forgotten.

So while in general I agree that it is probably not a good thing to wish failure on anyone, in the case of SWG in particular, there is more than a little justification to harbor ill feelings toward SOE and to welcome the closure of a much beloved and then intentionally ruined game.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I dont know OP.  I think this may be a symptom that arised from game companies successfully creating "game loyalty."   Look at the rivalry between COD and Battlefield.  Individual gamers display unwaivering loyalty to one side or the other.  This is one of those behaviors people have that actually hurts thier interests in the long run.

Also, there has always been a percentage of folks who fail to navigate puberty successfully.  You used to never hear from these people, but now they can openly share thier opinions on boards like these. 

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Some people just want games to fail and go f2p so they have games they can play without paying. Some games just arent worth a sub but would play for a lesser sub or free overall.

But for the most part, its not about us the gamers. Its about the crap being released at an alarming rate from the developers that dont live up to being a mmorpg. And has some to do with the game syles of our community now. They want easy and fast with a story driven game. Which allows them to slide thru the game in a matter of days/weeks. And then have no longevity or reason for keep coming back. People dont want to be creative, dont want to spend 5 minutes traveling, and dont want to level on random mobs. Its easier to have your hand held, told what to do, where to go, and have all the goodie provided for you. Its not working, need changes. To many IP's and decent games are being ruined by lack of depth and creativity both by gamers and developers. My opinion of course, but if you read even half the posts on these forums, many seem to agree with that as well.

Who's to blame? Personaly i just think the games are bad to begin with.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Because you have to tear down the old building and haul off the garbage before you can build something people will actually enjoy. The more MMO's that fail, the more likely we are to end up getting good games.

I personally don't enjoy watching games fail, but I would guess that would be the reason.

People tear down the old building, not because the building is bad or even because it look ugly, but because it would be more profitable to put a building there that is bigger, but with less space per apartment. So the building is more accessable for more poeple.

A MMO does not need to be shut down for a developer to build a MMO. Especially not when it a completly different company. There is not like a limitation to how many MMO there can be really.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Because they are douchebags.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - Alfred Pennyworth

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Personally I think it has to do with the 'ME generation' - it is all about me - them thinking - I am important - What I want is what everyone wants, etc. Also, everyone is a critic but there are NO EXPERTS.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's simple really, the industry is market-driven. If a style of game that someone doesn't like succeeds, the odds are there will be more of those in the future. So, if someone doesn't like a certain style of game, they certainly don't want to see more of them and therefore root against their success.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

It's nothing personal.  Simple fact is I want new MMORPG's to be built that incorporate some of the features and designs that I prefer, and currently the main focus of most titles is decidedly different from that.

Way I see it, the only way I'll ever have a chance of seeing a bit more variation in the feature sets of new games is for the current crop being delivered to fail, and fail miserably. 

Yeah, I know my view is selfish, I'm just like that what can I say. 

Unfortunately game design more or less follows the herd in terms of design so I need to see the herd run right off the cliff in order for there to be a chance of something more to my liking being delivered.

Good news for most other folks is that my campaign so far has only been partially successful.  Plenty of titles keep crashing against the rocks, but developers keep sending us the same thing again and again. (with some subtle variations I'll grant)

Or maybe like that other guy said, I'm just a douche. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    because they hope developer stop making "those type of game" and start making the type of game they like.  If you follow the forum closely I think many sandboxer felt that way. 
  • casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32
    Haters gona Hate. image
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well for me, it seems like the industry follows the money. Something sells well, make clones, until they fail. I like to speak up from the start, hoping not to see the industry go down the boring clone road. 

I don't think I want to see games fai;, but I don't want to see what I see as a bad game do well. I'm afraid we'll see 2-5 years of more of the same.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by botrytis

Personally I think it has to do with the 'ME generation' - it is all about me - them thinking - I am important - What I want is what everyone wants, etc. Also, everyone is a critic but there are NO EXPERTS.

This is actually probably more accurate than my post, well said.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kyleran

It's nothing personal.  Simple fact is I want new MMORPG's to be built that incorporate some of the features and designs that I prefer, and currently the main focus of most titles is decidedly different from that.

Way I see it, the only way I'll ever have a chance of seeing a bit more variation in the feature sets of new games is for the current crop being delivered to fail, and fail miserably. 

Yeah, I know my view is selfish, I'm just like that what can I say. 

Unfortunately game design more or less follows the herd in terms of design so I need to see the herd run right off the cliff in order for there to be a chance of something more to my liking being delivered.

Good news for most other folks is that my campaign so far has only been partially successful.  Plenty of titles keep crashing against the rocks, but developers keep sending us the same thing again and again. (with some subtle variations I'll grant)

Or maybe like that other guy said, I'm just a douche. image

The problem is - it is personal - when you are selfish it is personal.

People think they know what goes into game design but they really don't because they haven't done it. Just because they know what what they want in a game doesn't mean it is possible. I said this before, all games, cars, etc anything designed is a compromise. We have had no-compromise cars, take the Bugatti Veryon, at 1.5 million dollars a car - it is a statement but that is it. Same can be said with games. One could make a no-compromise game but would people be able to afford the price of it or let alone the PC to play it? Probably not. To make things the costs more realistic, they have to compromise. Unfortunately, people with opinions do not have to compromise - they assume everything they want can be done, even if the actual game developer says it can't. An example of this was a recent thread here, about GW2, where people kept saying they want open world PvP and there were actual quotes, from A.Net developers, saying that Open world PvP cannot be put in the game because the game wasn't designed for it.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

It is true that some people want to see certain things fail since they don't want games going in that direction, but I also believe that many people simply want MMO's to fail because they watching the drama unfold.  They get some kind of pleasure out of it.  I think a lot of this stems from past failures like Dark and Light, Mourning, and several other spectacularily hyped failures like Rapid Reality Studios.

Essentially, they're entertained by MMO failure.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    If a game is highly successful, then there are likely to be many efforts at copying it.  You want that to happen to games you like, not games you hate.

bingo.