Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has there been any MMO with unique skills to unique users

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by greenreen

Have you ever heard of a game that tried this?

MMOs can't afford to give players 1:1 attention, no.

What you're looking for is a MUD. And it was really rare in MUDs, too.

"Unique" and "Massive" are natural enemies.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    It was a short lived experience but, SWG had a onesie like this. In the earlier days of SWG when they added force Rank System, there could only be one Jedi Overlord and one Dark Jedi Overlord per server. I was the one and only Dark Jedi Overlord on Kettemoor and it was essentially god mode. I could cut through 50 players with ease.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    It doesn't fit exactly with the concept you're talking about, but in EverQuest, there was only one Crystal Claw of Veeshan. It was given out once on each server in a GM event; the person who received it also got a unique title added to their name. But it was NoDrop, so they didn't have the option to sell it or give it away. I believe there were other items like this associated with large events that advanced the game's storyline.

• Orthus.AkuOrthus.Aku Member Posts: 12
    Like icewhite has stated it just would be practical due to the amount of content that would need to be created for each character to have something unique would be just mod boggling. 
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    wurm has relics on pvp servers, which are server unique
  • DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Asheron's Call had a couple of events where the first person to complete the month's new main quest would receive a version of the reward that had better stats than the one everyone else could get.  I don't know of any other MMO's that did anything similar, although there may be.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Disdena
    It doesn't fit exactly with the concept you're talking about, but in EverQuest, there was only one Crystal Claw of Veeshan. It was given out once on each server in a GM event; the person who received it also got a unique title added to their name. But it was NoDrop, so they didn't have the option to sell it or give it away. I believe there were other items like this associated with large events that advanced the game's storyline.

i remember that - thanks for the memory

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

From what I remember, WoW Vanilla had ultra-ultra rares that may have been planned as server unique* (paralleling EQ).

They never made it into the game, and official references to this grade of item were removed.

reference

* = Not something I can document, but I remember reading speculation about them at the time.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

WoW had a unique one-per-server title and mount for the opening of AQ.

Blizz also did a personal storyline kind of thing with characters who had completed the Onyxia quest chain; when the character first went to the Wrathgate, there was an additional whisper from the NPC leader reminiscing about it. Though it would probably be fairly simple to code, it definitely felt unique at the time and most players never noticed it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.