Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Jay Wilson Steps Away from Diablo 3, Moves to New Project

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by expresso
    The game space has changed - 12 years ago a game like Diablo was fresh, it was new like MMO's 10 years ago, but these games are now just common so we don't stick around as long, If SWTOR or D3 was released 10 years ago we all be signing their praises, bottom line eat to much chocolate and you're no longer impressed by chocolate no matter how you dress it up, the games are fine we're the problem.

most things look good in isolation of its competition

i could say the same thing about many poor mmos

imagine the reception for Runes of Magic if it was released 10 years ago

Runes of Magic released 10 years ago would have the same reaction it gets now. Meh at best. Standards have not gotten higher, games are dumbed down. There is no way you can tell me D3 has the level of complexity of D2 through skill trees etc.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

The game space has changed - 12 years ago a game like Diablo was fresh, it was new like MMO's 10 years ago, but these games are now just common so we don't stick around as long, If SWTOR or D3 was released 10 years ago we all be signing their praises, bottom line eat to much chocolate and you're no longer impressed by chocolate no matter how you dress it up, the games are fine we're the problem.

Runes of Magic released 10 years ago would have the same reaction it gets now. Meh at best. Standards have not gotten higher, games are dumbed down. There is no way you can tell me D3 has the level of complexity of D2 through skill trees etc.

I'd have to disagree. Runes of magic would of been praised quite a lot, even if it does borrow a lot from WoW (one of the few games where I can accept 'wow clone' as being mildly acceptable). Success back then was vastly easier as there was not as much saturation in the MMO market as there is today. Games like Rift would of done vastly better if it had been released years ago do to that fact.

D3 just feels like they created a very simplistic dungeon crawler and tried tacking on the more advanced features which only helps to further disappoint. It really lacks that feel of 'completion' as you don't really have the ability to make your character your own and develop them, something that was huge in D2. I thing Jay Wilson didn't have the slightest clue what made ARPG so addictive which only helped to further promote poor decision making.

Don't get me wrong, D3 is amazing if your looking at it solely from a Polish standpoint, but if you look beyond that its 'eh' at best. It speaks volumes when I can spend so much more time playing a game like Torchlight 2 on one character then I can running nearly every class and not being able to 'feel' involved like I desperately wanted from the game.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Actually, I can tell you exactly that. Know what you did in D2? Leveled up 2, maybe 3 active skills to spam during the entirety of your character's career. Most builds were in fact NAMED AFTER THE SKILL YOU'D SPAM (WW Barb, Frozen Orb Sorcie, etc). You put the rest of your skill points into 'filler' skills to move down the tree to what you wanted, and passives. To do otherwise was to completely gimp your character.

D3 has great looking, great playing skills with a TON of options. Many runes completely change how a skill looks and works. Furthermore pretty much any build you can think of is completely viable. Optimal? No, but definitely viable.

D3's skill system is incredibly deep and fun. You don't have to worry about investing too many points into a crappy skill and forcing a reroll, either.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    But...but...I only played D3 for 400 hours...it's trash! /sarcasm
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Actually, I can tell you exactly that. Know what you did in D2? Leveled up 2, maybe 3 active skills to spam during the entirety of your character's career. Most builds were in fact NAMED AFTER THE SKILL YOU'D SPAM (WW Barb, Frozen Orb Sorcie, etc). You put the rest of your skill points into 'filler' skills to move down the tree to what you wanted, and passives. To do otherwise was to completely gimp your character. D3 has great looking, great playing skills with a TON of options. Many runes completely change how a skill looks and works. Furthermore pretty much any build you can think of is completely viable. Optimal? No, but definitely viable. D3's skill system is incredibly deep and fun. You don't have to worry about investing too many points into a crappy skill and forcing a reroll, either.

Everyone has their own opinions on what went wrong with D3. I love your forum name by the way, gave me a good laugh sir :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Aw man, I wrote this:

"Jay Wilson leaving is the best news ever. I just wish it would have happened much sooner than this. I also wish he was just outright leaving Blizzard.Jay, you don't deserve to work on another project at Blizzard after D3.  I can only hope you're not in charge of whatever mystery project you're going to be involved in. The people in charge are making a terrible mistake by moving you to another project and not just booting your !@# out the door."

Guess what I got forum banned for a week for?

----

Origination:
                                            Forums / Comments

Ban Type:

Obscene Language

Expires:

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:47:25 PM PST (in 6 days, 9 hours)

Ban Reason:
                                            Suspended from the Diablo III forums for one week for posting / masking obscene, vulgar or inappropriate language on the forums.

--------------

'Cause I said ass.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Actually, I can tell you exactly that. Know what you did in D2? Leveled up 2, maybe 3 active skills to spam during the entirety of your character's career. Most builds were in fact NAMED AFTER THE SKILL YOU'D SPAM (WW Barb, Frozen Orb Sorcie, etc). You put the rest of your skill points into 'filler' skills to move down the tree to what you wanted, and passives. To do otherwise was to completely gimp your character. D3 has great looking, great playing skills with a TON of options. Many runes completely change how a skill looks and works. Furthermore pretty much any build you can think of is completely viable. Optimal? No, but definitely viable. D3's skill system is incredibly deep and fun. You don't have to worry about investing too many points into a crappy skill and forcing a reroll, either.

Everyone has their own opinions on what went wrong with D3. I love your forum name by the way, gave me a good laugh sir :)

Fair enough sir! And thank you :)

Hopefully you'll be willing to give the game another chance down the road. It's come a long way since release, and is definitely going in the right direction (IMO).

Edit: Aviggin, don't feel too bad. I got a ban from their forum a few months ago for the same thing... and I was defending the game! I think they just have a 'mod-bot' or something which autobans for certain violations.

That, or the mods are a bunch of prudes.

Fair enough sir! And thank you :)

Hopefully you'll be willing to give the game another chance down the road. It's come a long way since release, and is definitely going in the right direction (IMO).

Edit: Aviggin, don't feel too bad. I got a ban from their forum a few months ago for the same thing... and I was defending the game! I think they just have a 'mod-bot' or something which autobans for certain violations.

That, or the mods are a bunch of prudes.

It's either one of those, or the mod was offended by what I was saying, and was just looking for an excuse.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by Aviggin

Aw man, I wrote this:

"Jay Wilson leaving is the best news ever. I just wish it would have happened much sooner than this. I also wish he was just outright leaving Blizzard.Jay, you don't deserve to work on another project at Blizzard after D3.  I can only hope you're not in charge of whatever mystery project you're going to be involved in. The people in charge are making a terrible mistake by moving you to another project and not just booting your !@# out the door."

----

--------------

'Cause I said ass.

and I guess because you attacked one of there employees? I guess you should be happy your allowed back the forums in the first place. I never get that. That people feen entiteld to go to someone else there place and say whatever they like without reprocussion. 

You think they would not kick me out of a store if I said the same thing about an employee that got transfered? Why would it be any different?

Anyhow

Why do people think he will move to titan though? Just a random guess? He might as well move to starcraft 2? They working on an two expensions if I am correct and might be blizzard actually working on something else as well.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Good news for D3 players that managed to stick around, bad news for Titan if the second part is true.

Just officially renamed, "Titanic".

You realize that's going to stick now. Well played, sir... well played.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Coman

Why do people think he will move to titan though? Just a random guess? He might as well move to starcraft 2?

could be

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,5145/

Jay did work on SC2 in the past

Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by Aviggin

Aw man, I wrote this:

----

--------------

'Cause I said ass.

and I guess because you attacked one of there employees? I guess you should be happy your allowed back the forums in the first place. I never get that. That people feen entiteld to go to someone else there place and say whatever they like without reprocussion. 

You think they would not kick me out of a store if I said the same thing about an employee that got transfered? Why would it be any different?

Anyhow

Why do people think he will move to titan though? Just a random guess? He might as well move to starcraft 2? They working on an two expensions if I am correct and might be blizzard actually working on something else as well.

The point is that my entire post wasn't "obscene/vulgar language", so I was wrongfully banned in terms of what they actually chose to ban me for. "Ass" is not an obscene word. :p

I wasn't really defending myself in terms of getting banned, more just that I found it amusing that they used obscene language as the excuse.

• ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63

Thank You Jay Wilson finally you step away from our bellowed Diablo franchise!!! It wasn’t your project in the first place because you kicked all the original creators of Diablo. Thank You, now maybe D3 will have some future. Jay if I can ask you nicely, after you ruined D3 with your cheap Asian programmers (I’m not racist I love Asians) DON’T TOUCH TITAN please. Titan is my last hope to play a good MMO

Please Jay I don't want a Titan to have Error 1 to Error 9000 and I don’t want to have RMAH and 10 000 Chinese bots and boring repetitive gameplay. I don't want Titan to be just a copy game. Please Jay I don't want another Hello Kitty Diablo game with rainbow colors just go and make some game on Xbox for kids.

Jay I can feel that you have some nice talent to create funny entertaining games for kids, you could reconsider that. Jay I understand that with your income you have a friendly colorful life please don’t reflect that on your games.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    MMORPG.com and its predictable mob of lemmings...
  • nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

So Jay Wilson has spent 7 years straining to pass the turd known as D3. Now that he has finally finished doing his business...Blizzard is gonna let him take a huge shit on Titan as well? I dunno but I would fully expect a RMAH in Titan and such a low drop rate on items that you have no choice but to use it if you want to progress. D3 will probably go down as the biggest dissapointment in my entire life as far as games go.

Sadly there are so many here that will sing D3 praises and attempt to suck farts out of Jay Wilsons ass...blizzbots never change.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

BS. Just as a few an examples, a HC Sorc, there were plenty of specs available, not like in D3 where you go one way or YOU DIE. There were pure Blizzard Sorcs, Fire Sorcs with Fireball spam, Fire sorcs with Meteor/Hydra, Hybrids like Orb/Meteor Sorc (best for HC, if you want to be versatile), Meteor/Firewall. Lightning/CL sorcs also had their day and are viable even today. I question the fact you even know what Nova Sorcs were back in the day, because you just seem like a casual deadweight.

Also the simple fact they removed the ability to TELEPORT as you wish, if you have skill or runeword for it, is simply downgrading from 10 year old game.

You can go for your OMG ELECTION MODE all you want, fact is, there were more choices to be made with simple talent tree. And those choices carried much more weight than D3.

However you will still be full of crap. Insanely much so. I'd like to see people who created this abomination hanged. There's choice that's perceivable in D3, but in reality if you want to play on HC or on the top, there's less choice than in D2.

Also couldn't care less if your entire experience of Diablo 2 involves some softcore PvP (which seems pretty reasonable.). Your kind is the exact reason why this entire franchise was ruined beyond repair. Your kind has no clue WTF happens behind the "numbers" of you moving your (probably terrible char) to loot a simple chest.

D2 is so much more than your simplistic and wrong assumptions of a softcore hero, really, learn to play, is all I can say. You link me a 90 lvl+ hardcore character, then I'll listen/read your patthetic drivel.

I understand, that some softie would go all out on this game, A true Diablo player doesn't, and wouldn't.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    This dude spent 7 years to make the most boring ARPG ever. Why would they let him touch anything else? Oh yeah beause of all the silly people who actually bought D3 and made it appear to be a success! Well done! Blame yourselves!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I enjoyed it thoroughly and still do today...so yeah, well done!
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Good news for D3 players that managed to stick around, bad news for Titan if the second part is true.

Just officially renamed, "Titanic".

And he's the Iceberg...<face palm>  But given that Ghostcrawler is still employed, this is hardly a surprise.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • clcostajrclcostajr Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by caetftl

People that blame Jay Wilson completely for how d3 turned out, really don't know how actiblizz currently works.  You see you have execs that are only about the profit... and you have designers that are trying to make the games, but they have to follow certain protocols... Jay tried to do the best he could in a game that was understaffed and hyped beyond belief... He did not have 100% creative control over everything in the game, he had the ugly job of taking the flak for the game's downfalls, while having to cater to businessmen making games for money, as opposed to gamers making games while knowing what other gamers want. 

You know how you can tell the real Jay Wilson understands how to make a good game?  Because he loves permadeath pvp in hardcore... nuff said. 

And btw you can argue and disagree with me all you want, but unless you work at blizzard you don't know what I know. 

i dont care for the real jay, i care for what he delivers: crap. if the game was a success, ppl would give him the credit, wouldnt we? since it sucks, we blame him... simple as that

• NicoustNicoust Member UncommonPosts: 17

Never bought D3.

I prefer to wait and see; then I didn't like what it was.

So while, Blizzard have sold many copies; they could have sold more if handled differently.

• Toxic2kToxic2k Member Posts: 16
    Best news i ever heard/read since the release of diablo3.
  • solari111solari111 Member Posts: 1
    If the devs had spent a moment of time with game theory, they'd have known their pay to win take on D3 would fail miserably.  Whether or not this was Jay Wilson's direct fault, he's still a massive jackhammer, and I truly hope he's not moving to another decision-making position.

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56

lol @ "Titanic", thats classic.

Diablo III was the worst game I ever had the misfourne of investing time or money in, and I don't claim to have played D2.

The odd thing is; I would have believed that the real fanatics were Ex- Diablo 2 players.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

rename titan to titanic cause that ship is going down asuming it ever gets released lol