Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Jay Wilson Steps Away from Diablo 3, Moves to New Project

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Wighty

As much of a disappointment this game was in my eyes as well as many players... the sad truth was in the eyes of corporate it was a HUGE SUCCESS selling millions of copies... The game companies really don't care that you didn't like the gameplay or skill system or that they completely dodged PvP. The Diablo "brand" continues to be a success...

As far as Blizzard is concerned this guy is a friggin hero! They will give him a new project to "use his Midas touch" and probably give him a huge bucket of money.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have almost completely redisigned the game (for the better) since launch. 

When the CEO of the company writes a blog basically stating that "Ya, we f**ked up with endgame, but we have listened to the playerbase, and will be fixing it"...then they do just that, they know this dude did something wrong.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

People that blame Jay Wilson completely for how d3 turned out, really don't know how actiblizz currently works.  You see you have execs that are only about the profit... and you have designers that are trying to make the games, but they have to follow certain protocols... Jay tried to do the best he could in a game that was understaffed and hyped beyond belief... He did not have 100% creative control over everything in the game, he had the ugly job of taking the flak for the game's downfalls, while having to cater to businessmen making games for money, as opposed to gamers making games while knowing what other gamers want. 

You know how you can tell the real Jay Wilson understands how to make a good game?  Because he loves permadeath pvp in hardcore... nuff said. 

And btw you can argue and disagree with me all you want, but unless you work at blizzard you don't know what I know. 
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by doodphace

As much of a disappointment this game was in my eyes as well as many players... the sad truth was in the eyes of corporate it was a HUGE SUCCESS selling millions of copies... The game companies really don't care that you didn't like the gameplay or skill system or that they completely dodged PvP. The Diablo "brand" continues to be a success...

As far as Blizzard is concerned this guy is a friggin hero! They will give him a new project to "use his Midas touch" and probably give him a huge bucket of money.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have almost completely redisigned the game (for the better) since launch. 

When the CEO of the company writes a blog basically stating that "Ya, we f**ked up with endgame, but we have listened to the playerbase, and will be fixing it"...then they do just that, they know this dude did something wrong.

Simple... it's called damage control...

Ok so they sell millons of copies of the game... the fanbase pays, then rages.

The figure head comes on to say "Sorry" meanwhile they are laughing all the way to the bank...

Blizzard is basically reduced to a fast food franchise in terms of game development... they will always sell millions of products even if they know what they are selling is poison. People will still buy it because it tastes good, even though it will eventually kill them.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by caetftl

People that blame Jay Wilson completely for how d3 turned out, really don't know how actiblizz currently works.  You see you have execs that are only about the profit... and you have designers that are trying to make the games, but they have to follow certain protocols... Jay tried to do the best he could in a game that was understaffed and hyped beyond belief... He did not have 100% creative control over everything in the game, he had the ugly job of taking the flak for the game's downfalls, while having to cater to businessmen making games for money, as opposed to gamers making games while knowing what other gamers want. 

You know how you can tell the real Jay Wilson understands how to make a good game?  Because he loves permadeath pvp in hardcore... nuff said. 

And btw you can argue and disagree with me all you want, but unless you work at blizzard you don't know what I know. 

permadeath from pvp is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by doodphace

Simple... it's called damage control...

Ok so they sell millons of copies of the game... the fanbase pays, then rages.

The figure head comes on to say "Sorry" meanwhile they are laughing all the way to the bank...

Blizzard is basically reduced to a fast food franchise in terms of game development... they will always sell millions of products even if they know what they are selling is poison. People will still buy it because it tastes good, even though it will eventually kill them.

Damage control = CEO coming to say "Sorry".....

Pretty much redesigning/fixing the game in content patches after said "sorry = Actually knowing Wilson f'd up.

My point is even though the game sold millions, I am faily sure they know Wilson did not deliver properly.

Context/actually understanding the point..does a body good.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

personally, I'm glad to see him off D3

i have no idea how influential he was for D3 design decisions - i only remember his arrogance

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Jay-Wilson-Tells-Diablo-2-Designer-Fans-F-ck-Off-45895.html

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Hopefully Jay can take some of the things he first learned on Diablo 3 to his next project, namely -

- Don't release a game that is not ready

- Do design a game with features people want

- Don't design a game with features people hate

Best of luck, Jay!

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

This actually makes a lot of sense. An informer has stated that titan will be a spin-off of diablo. It will be set in a similar universe with something different so they can claim the new IP thing. So it only makes sense that they pick up the guy that has been working on diablo and putting him on the team for titan.

If anyone doesn't think diablo 3 is a train wreck, please refer to the current state of PvP then read the following line, "Nuff said." That is all.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I hope this marks a change in the direction Blizzard wants to take D3 from now on, there is still hope if they put in alot of effort to change the game. Any change for D3 is a good one since it doesn't interest me at all in its current state.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Foncl
    I hope this marks a change in the direction Blizzard wants to take D3 from now on, there is still hope if they put in alot of effort to change the game. Any change for D3 is a good one since it doesn't interest me at all in it's current state.

If it doesn't interest you now, it never will.

• ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Psychow

I wonder how maybe people actually played D2 for a decade. I'll bet at least 90% of the players beat the single player game and never touched it again.

I didn't play D2. That may be why I am capable of enjoying D3 for what it is instead of what it isn't.

Yeah, you don't know what you are missing :)

Another nice thing about Diablo 2 was even after you'd played it for years and years, there were fan mods that could change the game in significant ways, from new skills, more levels, new monsters, tons of new areas, hundreds of new items, tons more crafting, utility items for storage, the list goes on and on and that was just from one mod I played.

This was my main draw in D2 aswell, the modding community was great! I also enjoyed low level duels on ladder, and the hackers league was quite fun figuring out good combinations and equations to beat the competitors.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

whatever that new project is i plan on not supporting it 

>:D to the burning depths with you jay wilson bawhahahahahah ok now that i got that out my system.  I hope they dident let him go because of his failure with diablo3, because they should have done that a long time ago.  To anyone thinking that i really hate him i dont, the truth is diablo 3 was a mess when it was released and despite selling well it torched blizzard rep. One thing that did piss me off is when they tried to take credit for the huge sales numbers. the game sold so well because of the diablo franchise and blizzards reputation neither which had to do with what they made. Had the sales sky rocketed after reviews for the game came out then yes that would have been because of the game they made, but that was not the case.

• pbernard1985pbernard1985 Member Posts: 20
    You all assume that he's going to be working on another game project for blizzard.  They are probably moving him to Director of Customer Service.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Well, Titan, you had a chance. Now you're doomed to failure if Jay Wilson is moved your way.
  • Infamus253Infamus253 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    With Jay Wison moved to blizzard next project. GOOD LUCK TITAN.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    RMAH for WoW? RMAH for Titan? I enjoyed D3 and good luck to him. I even enjoyed RMAH. I hope that trend continues. We need to make real money in this crap economy world and if game playing skillage can do that then more the merrier IMHO.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

As others have said.  Great news for Diablo 3, terrible news for Titan if he is put in any position that will affect the direction of the game.

The timeline until Titan's release?  Jay Wilson JUST DOUBLED IT!

Aren't you thankful?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I dunno. . I've gone back and tried out Diablo 2 again after D3... It's rubbish now. It was great back then but if I had the choice of playing D2 or D3 today, I'd pick D3 any day. Nostalgia is a powerful emotional tool and peoples epectations of any game these days just seems unrealistic.

I played Baldur's Gate again and was instantly horrified, my fond memories completely shattered. I'd play DA2 over that any day.

My own thoughts and personally and expectations were different back then. It's not that the games were better, it's just I was more tolerant to lesser products because, at the time, they were not lesser products.

I don't think Wilson did a bad job based on the above.. just that it took a long time to do. Some D2 vets will always love D2, I get that. But those that havn't played D2 for years.. boot it up and you'll see. It's not as good as you remember.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104
    He should'nt be allowed to put his filthy hands on any other Blizzard development of any sort.
  • ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

This actually makes a lot of sense. An informer has stated that titan will be a spin-off of diablo. It will be set in a similar universe with something different so they can claim the new IP thing. So it only makes sense that they pick up the guy that has been working on diablo and putting him on the team for titan.

If anyone doesn't think diablo 3 is a train wreck, please refer to the current state of PvP then read the following line, "Nuff said." That is all.

i think Titan is going to be a massive gaming lobby that connects into all blizzard games, and offer customization toolsets like they give in their RTS games. Subbing to Titan will just give you access to everything, the premium sub. this is how WoW will never die, as it will remain part of a bigger gaming community.

Blizzard is most likely working on several small games that will launch with Titan, rts and rpg, maybe even fps.

if they just make another MMO, it has the dangers of not surviving the future of games. nor will it even dream of being as big as WoW. a massive gaming hub has unlimited potential, especially if they offer toolsets for player made games/content.

all of this is just conjecture, of course.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by ezpz77

inb4, "Now Titan is doomed!"

edit: too late

Hahaha. Too late indeed!

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

It will be a nice change for him working on a new and FRESH project since he won't have to deal with the entrenched D2 fans who demand that D3 be D2.

D3 is a great game.

No one was demanding it be exactly like D2, but if they had started by looking at what made D2 a good game for a decade, well, maybe D3 wouldn't be a pay 2 win ghost town.

Also, as another poster said, Titan shall now be known as Titanic till this tool is cut loose.

I wonder how maybe people actually played D2 for a decade. I'll bet at least 90% of the players beat the single player game and never touched it again.

I didn't play D2. That may be why I am capable of enjoying D3 for what it is instead of what it isn't.

I never played D2 in my life, and I thought D3 was horrendous.

Became a total gold grind game instead of an addictive loot hunt, the gold auction house totally bacame the path of least resistance for gear. Completely ruins the variable ratio reward schedule that makes these games so addictive. Often you could save up gold and buy gear before you would randomly find it. 

No reason to re-roll and try new/interesting builds, no imporatant character decisions to make as you level. 

Items were just boring stat sticks, lack of awesome effects/procs. Set bonuses so bad that they don't even matter. Legendaries could drop fairly often with high MF, but 90% would be awful, which felt awful for a loot hunt game.

Inferno initially being released with double the difficulty recommended by professional internal game testers who play games for a living. 

Etc., etc.

I can't see Jay having any sort of important position on Titan's team, that just sounds like spin to me. I just think this is a way to remove him from D3, which needed to happen eventually.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

No one's said it, yet?

‘Fuck that loser.’

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

"Titan renamed to Titanic"

That's good one :D

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Never had anything against the guy. I wish him luck in his new position. He made a few missteps but D3 is coming along very nicely, despite what the die-hard D2 fanboys seem to think.

It's far from a 'train wreck', as someone put it earlier.