Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAC Working out the skill based system

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've been working on the skill system for WAC.

There are four primary gear skills:  light armor, heavy armor (includes shields), light weapons (includes dual wield), and heavy weapons.

Additionally, there are 10 skills that can be mixed or matched as part of character customization (no classes).

That makes a total of 14 skills, each with a range of 1 to 60.  With skill training maxed at 300 points, the most a character could do is max a total of 5 skills.  Two of the 5 will be their weapons and armor (if they want them maxed), so that leaves 3 out of the 10 below.

I'm thinking about moving shields from heavy armor into "Fortitude" which would make shield use exclusive to characters with a tank build.  I had thought about moving offhand weapons to "Evasion" but that's not a good fit because non-Rogue builds would also want to have access to dual wielding.

Just throwing this up to see if there are ideas on these skills, or maybe other ones that would make a good addition to the game.  One that I see that is missing is some sort of dagger throw for non-casters to use for pulls.

Comments thoughts?

NOTES:

The ones marked "---" are abilities that I want to have and don't have written yet.

There are no pets (they screw up FPS combat), so henchmen, conjured companions and tamed pets are out.

There are no bows because the animations don't sync up properly.

Skill

Similar to Class

Description

Combat

Warrior Offensive

Melee Attack
   Slash
Melee Attack DOT
   Bleed
Offensive Self Buffs
   DPS Stance

Domination

Warrior Aggro/CC

AOE Fear
   Battle Fear
AOE Stun (short duration)
   Battle Stun
AOE Debuffs
   ---

Fortitude

Warrior Defensive

Self Heal and HOT
   Regen HP Self
Defensive Self Buffs
   Tank Stance

Destruction

Mage DPS

Projectile Damage (elemental)
   Fire Bolt
   Frost Bolt

AOE Damage (elemental)
   Fire Blast
   Frost Blast

AOE DOT (elemental)
   Smolder

Illusion

Mage Aggro/CC

AOE Fear
   Primal Fear
AOE Stun
   Primal Stun
Stealth
   Ghost

Transmutation

Mage ???

Regeneration
   Regen MP Self
Spell Armor
   Mage Armor
Offensive Self Buffs
   Caster Stance

Restoration

Priest Heals

Target Heals
   Mend Target
   Heal Target

Group Heals
   Mend Group
   Heal Group

Performance Self Buffs
   Healer Stance

Divination

Priest Blessings

Target Blessings
   Bless STR
   Bless BDY
   Bless AGI
   Bless MND
   Bless WIS
   Bless MYS

Invocation

Priest DPS

Projectile Damage (holy)
   Holy Bolt
AOE Damage (holy)
   Holy Blast
AOE DOT (holy)
   Damnation
Spell Armor
   Divine Armor
Stealth
   Divine Veil
Feign
   Intervention
AOE Fear
   Banish <--- remove

Evasion

Rogue CC Stealth

Sneak
   Sneak
AOE Stun (long duration)
   Stun
Feign
   Feign Death

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Why can't you make a arrow a spell type since the spells work?

Just wondering.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Why can't you make a arrow a spell type since the spells work?

Just wondering.

Yep, the arrow projectile would be tied into the spell system.

Issue is the bow shoot animation in the character art package.  It raises the bow from holding it at waist height,draws and then fires (made for tab target system).  If I sync  projectile with the fire part of the animation, it's impossible to hit a moving target with first person aiming because of the 2.5 second or so delay.

I'm thinking I can chop the animation down and let the engine's tweener transition quickly so there's much less delay.  Just not happening soon.  Too many things on fire at the moment.

BTW: great list of engines in dev corner.  Once WAC's been running for a while I want to try my hand at an MMO for Android.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

If it is a timing problem like I said make it entirely spell based. The casting time is the bow animation and if it is FPS then the player needs to learn to shoot a bow against a moving target. :)

BTW if you're going android then esenthel or Unity

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.