It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
so, i've been getting on with this game called Dwarf Fortress, well taking out that it uses ASCII graphics (i use a tileset substitute). the game looks promising, and all my new games while being a failure in one way or another, it's a good fun.
so i've been thinking, how would be an MMORPG with the mechanics of Dwarf Fortress. no, this is not about making Dwarf Fortress an MMO. but what how interesting could be a game with similar mechanics.
1. you can craft things from almost anything in the world
2. almost (or over) 2000 types of rock and ores avaliable for crafting
3. water and lava for obsidian
4. biomes with weather and seasons, with several types of flora and fauna, including many types of trees for wood
5. unique humanoids and fantasy races like kobolds, goblins, elves, etc
6. several monsters in the world, from the common dragon, to even "forgotten beasts" which try to get some Lovecraftian horror inside the game.
7. gorey combat (you dont actually see it, but it happens, you just have to read the combat logs).
8. characters and NPCs with basic needs, moods and even their own personalities
9. buildable structures
10. landscape modification (cutting trees, mining tunnels, changing water and lava currents)
11. all is randomly generated
well this thinking in both the Fortress Mode and the Adventure Mode, to be honest it would be cool to have both (being able to manage a group of NPCs and your own character).