Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valuable information about Greed Monger.

PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

All wrapped up into one delicous thread.

MMORPG staff have confirmed that the threads were locked to preserve any valuable discussion or information, and avoid further personal attacks.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374557/Why-do-you-close-all-Appleton-threads.html

So we can link them.

The links below are full of useful information for deciding if you want to back the project.

(Credit goes to the OPs)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374343/This-looks-like-a-scam-Read-and-decide-for-yourself.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374550/Threats-against-my-person-by-Jason-Appleton-Owner-of-Greed-Monger-.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/370820/Appleton-Threatens-Lawsuit-vs-Forum-Posters-Using-Kickstarter-Money.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374558/Looks-like-the-CEO-is-done-with-this-board-and-all-our-lies.html

When / if the other threads get drowned because of the locks, I'll pull this up again.

You can discuss the Greed Monger Project / Kickstarter.

Don't post any personal attacks, and if personal attacks are posted, I ask the mods to remove the individual posts, and not the thread.

Thank you.

Comments

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    The behaviour of Greed Monger's staff does not give me great confidence in the future of the game.

Hi

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Jayaris
    The behaviour of Greed Monger's staff does not give me great confidence in the future of the game.

-Agreed. This information is very valid and should be considered before giving any (more) money to this project. Thanks for this OP.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

Good idea, keep the news alive! This is a smart way to avoid the issue I hope that people keep it clean. There is also a reddit about it and my personal post on the subject I would like to add.

http://www.ladyeuphei.com/greed-monger-the-appleton-factor/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16nfzg/greedmonger_owner_jason_appleton_threatens_mmorpg/

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

Good idea, keep the news alive! This is a smart way to avoid the issue I hope that people keep it clean. There is also a reddit about it and my personal post on the subject I would like to add.

http://www.ladyeuphei.com/greed-monger-the-appleton-factor/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16nfzg/greedmonger_owner_jason_appleton_threatens_mmorpg/

Thanks for the links :)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I hope this one doesn't get locked. I was glad for the information in one of the previous threads. The threats that came were just icing on the cake. Definitely have no interest in this game lol. Thanks to all those that posted links and are attempting to keep them up. People interested need to know the full story if they are to make an informed decision when it comes to supporting this game with time or money. 

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Thanks for sharing! I think there is a lot of people that would like to know about this information, before they invest time and money in this project, as GrayGhost said!
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Well aint that guy a peach.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    And people say this forum does no good.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'm starting to regret I backed Greed Monger. Not because of the project itself but the extremely unprofessional approach to the public by the project lead.

Ahwell. I've spent money on worse stuff than this.

Originally posted by tom_gore

I'm starting to regret I backed Greed Monger. Not because of the project itself but the extremely unprofessional approach to the public by the project lead.

Ahwell. I've spent money on worse stuff than this.

I'm not saying you should pull your backing, that is obviously your own decision to make :)

But I'm interested in knowing if it's even possible to pull out of a project before the end date is reached, do you know?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Stay focused on discussing the game, guys. This personal spat between another user and one of the developers is not going to continue to play out on our forums. Take it somewhere else.
  • Harper420Harper420 Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Stay focused on discussing the game, guys. This personal spat between another user and one of the developers is not going to continue to play out on our forums. Take it somewhere else.

Seriously? This is for kickstarter, We should beable to post how crazy the developer truly is. He has threatened someone on the forum twice now. Please stop deleting our legitimate concerns.

Its shit like this censor ship that really is going to destroy kickstarter. When bullshit like this happens, you cant just throw it under the carpet. The lead designer has already ran to his forum where he bans/edits any posts that point out any lie at all. Even with direct evidence. We should at least beable to post here at the original mmorpg website to make sure that he doesnt succeed on a new kickstarter. If you keep on deleting these opinions and evidence hes going to succeed in sensoring everything and people like him will realize they can get away with just censoring people after scamming them on kickstarter. Please dont let that happen.
    Originally posted by Harper420

Seriously? This is for kickstarter, We should beable to post how crazy the developer truly is. He has threatened someone on the forum twice now. Please stop deleting our legitimate concerns.

Please don't take that convo in here, just do as he say, we're trying to keep this thread open to have easy access to all the info, and to inform everyone who wish to know about it.

Getting it locked like all the linked threads will make it drown as well, when more posts pop up on the Greed Monger subforum.

Stick to discussing the Greed Monger project in general, or their kickstarter in here, if people want to know the full story, they can get it here without anyone attacking eachother.

• Harper420Harper420 Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by PieRad
    Originally posted by Harper420

Please don't take that convo in here, just do as he say, we're trying to keep this thread open to have easy access to all the info, and to inform everyone who wish to know about it.

Getting it locked like all the linked threads will make it drown as well, when more posts pop up on the Greed Monger subforum.

Stick to discussing the Greed Monger project in general, or their kickstarter in here, if people want to know the full story, they can get it here without anyone attacking eachother.

I totally understand I thought he deleted this whole thread. This seriously needs to be known so people can make an educated decision regaurding kickstarter.

Im glad the community finally knows this. Thanks for being an awesome community and pointing out things that need to be.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

So, I finally got my response back from kickstarter on what will happen if greed monger changes sub type. You will be suprised how powerless it will make you feel when you read it. Btw, as always I posted a to long; didnt read section at the bottom for those of you looking to save a minute or two. I posted on my page image

http://www.ladyeuphei.com/greed-monger-changing-their-subtype-is-it-legal/

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So, I finally got my response back from kickstarter on what will happen if greed monger changes sub type. You will be suprised how powerless it will make you feel when you read it. Btw, as always I posted a to long; didnt read section at the bottom for those of you looking to save a minute or two. I posted on my page http://www.ladyeuphei.com/greed-monger-changing-their-subtype-is-it-legal/

Charge Back.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

So really this is about them deciding to go P2P rather than F2P?

Are people this upset that a developer is going to charge them a flat rate per month, rather than gouging you tit for tat in a cash shop that will end up costing devoted player more than a flat rate in the long run?

In a game like this i would say a fair playfield would be above and beyond the need to play it for free.

With that said, i didnt bother to read all those threads, but the jist i gatherd was that based on a small vote they are planning to go P2P after telling everyone it would be free with a cash shop...yeah and im sure it wasnt handled professionally as can be expected from a small indy team.

Its really a sad time we live in where $15 a month gets so many people so upset, considering how worthless that amount of money is over the course of a month these days... The ironic thing is people wanting to charge back their kickstart support...like all of a sudden you hate the game because of the payment model...its pathetic and show what people are really interested in, not to mention ironic.

People here want a quality sandbox so deperately yet are not even willing to pay a monthly fee for it..this community never ceases to astonish me.

If the game is good ill support it with my monthly fee, could care less if the developer is a dick, so long as he makes a good product he can have that right imo.  Personally i prefer the P2P method, when it works out, it provides the best gaming experience granted they continue to develop the game.

Edit: just read more of the links

It does seem like the poster has a bit of a grudge against how the developer is choosing to create his game.  He wants to buy premade assets...which honestly, im not sure why more small developers dont do this (perhaps they do?)

The issue with the game engine is a bit..interesting...yeah im guessing they are going to need a specific game engine that will allow for the world interaction, and if he purchased assets for the old engine this might cause an issue.  However, if actually chopping trees down is a dealbreaker for you playing this...thats a bit crazy.  I seem to have more tolerance for this guy given what hes trying to do, and that hes being pretty open about what he is doing.  I think to let him make the decisions on how he gets the game made as thats his job not mine, i could care less if he buys assets rather than hiring in house artists and taking 10 years to bring the game to market.

Quite interesting what the guy is doing though, if he can actually bring a game to market buying most of the game assets premade...and the game is decent and playable...this might open a whole new window of oppertunity for a lot of the basement developers who have been struggling and failing to make sandboxes now and in the past...that is if this isnt a common practice and the guy is just the only one being honest about asset purchases.

Yeah i think this poster being quoted is being a bit over the top now that ive read more, i take back calling the developer a dick.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Are people this upset that a developer is going to charge them a flat rate per month, rather than gouging you tit for tat in a cash shop that will end up costing devoted player more than a flat rate in the long run?

In a game like this i would say a fair playfield would be above and beyond the need to play it for free.

With that said, i didnt bother to read all those threads, but the jist i gatherd was that based on a small vote they are planning to go P2P after telling everyone it would be free with a cash shop...yeah and im sure it wasnt handled professionally as can be expected from a small indy team.

Its really a sad time we live in where $15 a month gets so many people so upset, considering how worthless that amount of money is over the course of a month these days... The ironic thing is people wanting to charge back their kickstart support...like all of a sudden you hate the game because of the payment model...its pathetic and show what people are really interested in, not to mention ironic.

People here want a quality sandbox so deperately yet are not even willing to pay a monthly fee for it..this community never ceases to astonish me.

If the game is good ill support it with my monthly fee, could care less if the developer is a dick, so long as he makes a good product he can have that right imo.  Personally i prefer the P2P method, when it works out, it provides the best gaming experience granted they continue to develop the game.

Maybe you should read the whole thing before commenting next time as you have completley missed the point.

Personally the points you make I fully agree with (I think sub games are the way to go-) but that is not what this is about.

-The "payment" system is only one small thing and even with that you missed the point- They took donations saying the game will be F2P with no cash shop and the game would be funded through a "land tax" on sales- Now that they have money in hand (as in three times the money they originally asked for) they are saying there will be a sub and possibly cash shop.

-Again, that is only one part of the shadiness... There is more. Read the whole thing because its damn informative and honestly pathetic -

EDIT: This has nothing to do with F2P vs P2P- This has to do with the devolpers promising a "new way to fund the game" that would allow players to play free with no cash gouging cash shops. People donated for something they were promised and only after the devs had the money, they began changing everything. The "poll" you mentioned was closed very quickly after only 70 votes- Anyhow...

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

It's not just about whether or not this game will go f2p or p2p. It's about whether or not the developers are competent enough to even complete the game at all and whether or not the money they got from their first kickstarter campaign was wasted since they now decided to switch their game engine from Unity to Hero Engine, which will require them to buy liscences for Hero Engine. However, this appears to only be a minor issue because most of their original art assets are able to be carried over into Hero Engine and the liscences for Hero Engine are actually much cheaper than for Unity, about $500 for 25 developers rather than $1500 per.

They have also been accused of buying thousands of dollars worth servers with the first kickstarts campaign's money and are now switching to cloud servers, meaning, if true, all that money was wasted. But, this claim has been refuted by the developers and they say they had the servers before there even was a first kickstarter campaign.

Hero Engine is also why they are considering a sub, because the company that made Hero Engine will get 30% (I think) of all Greed Monger's revenue. Greed Monger's intial concept for generating revenue was to sell land to players and to take a % of the transactions from players selling land to other players, but with the fees incurred from using Hero Engine, they feel this may not generate enough income to be viable as their only source of revenue. 

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Nitth

So, I finally got my response back from kickstarter on what will happen if greed monger changes sub type. You will be suprised how powerless it will make you feel when you read it. Btw, as always I posted a to long; didnt read section at the bottom for those of you looking to save a minute or two. I posted on my page 

http://www.ladyeuphei.com/greed-monger-changing-their-subtype-is-it-legal/

Charge Back.

Considering it's Amazon Payments that you would be charging back, I'd rather keep my ability to use Amazon in the future, thanks.

Also, it's the nature of Kickstarter. You are not promised _anything_. You are basically making a risk investment with a possibility to get 0% of your investment back. That's how investing works.

There is absolutely zero chance for you to get your money back or win a lawsuit against the company you gave your money to. Chalk it up and be more careful next time. I've accepted this fact on every Kickstarter I've backed and looks like this one was money down the drain.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

1000 dramaqueens here....

why such a drama? as i understood, they didnt change anything yet, just considering it. they also did a poll about the topic. dont forget, they are an indie company and this is their first game. they have just few experience and they didnt know that they MAYBE have to change their original plans. i dont think that it is to scam anybody. they still are working on their game and lets see what the final product is. i am very neutral about that, i was just reading. i am not going to play this game. but fmo a lot of people here are exxagerating a lot, and it seems to be a crusade against that company/game/leader which is out of control.

why not just wait and let them show us a working game and if not, THEN you can call them whatever, sue them or wrhatever.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Thanks for all the links, this guy is a crook and has no idea how to handle the general public/gamers. Back this at your own risk, who knows this loose cannon will do next.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by mistmaker

why not just wait and let them show us a working game and if not, THEN you can call them whatever, sue them or wrhatever.

Because by then it will be too late for those that coughed up their dough if it fails.

If MMORPG.com isn't going to be a place where information can be freely dispersed so that we, as gaming inudustry consumers, can make informed judgements about whether we want to support a project or not, then what's the point?

Personally, I highly value the information posted here, pro and con, about titles that I consider possible future purchases. I've saved a lot of money by reading information here. Censor and take that valuable information away and I go with.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• boobitsboobits Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by mistmaker

1000 dramaqueens here....

as i understood, they didnt change anything yet, just considering it. they also did a poll about the topic

A poll that was closed afer 2 days. If they've done anything correct out of this, it's a good case study on how NOT to interect with the public.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

I don't know if i could  trust a person who sells over the counter sex enhancement pills.

Seriously! could they have not picked a more suitable name than greedy monger? perhaps greed monger is quite apt for this kickstarter project.