Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is great but why am I not having fun ?

zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

I wasn't hyping about it... I didn't really play GW1 (i owned it but WoW took most of my time)

I bought it on an impulse... Everything is techincally great in my POV, I cannot point and blame WHY I am *not* having fun in this game...

I admit the PVE portion is pretty good and relaxed but I am thinking it feels like playing a single player RPG but with other people running around.. Granted I am only level 10 I am thinking I didn't get into the massive group stuff yet...

But the WvWvW feels pointless to me right now...even if it's fun I can't really say it's worth my time..Perhaps I'm missing something here..

sPvP sounds great on paper for me too but playing a bit these past few days it just feels messy and I'm not sure what I'm doing and if I'm doing something it doesn't feel like it "registers"... Hits don't seem to "hit" other players etc.

Maybe it's because I'm a guardian ?

I don't want to give up since it's the last MMORPG i'll probably buy for a while (I gave up on all the rest out there) and I refuse to go back to monthly fees so... Any ideas? Suggestions?

I'm thinking I'm missing something since this game doesn't follow the usual MMO guidelines like quest hubs etc. so...help out a fellow gamer? :)

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    First ten levels was the most fun I had.  Game felt alive in the starter zone,  then dead.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by zspawn

I wasn't hyping about it... I didn't really play GW1 (i owned it but WoW took most of my time)

I bought it on an impulse... Everything is techincally great in my POV, I cannot point and blame WHY I am *not* having fun in this game...

I admit the PVE portion is pretty good and relaxed but I am thinking it feels like playing a single player RPG but with other people running around.. Granted I am only level 10 I am thinking I didn't get into the massive group stuff yet...

But the WvWvW feels pointless to me right now...even if it's fun I can't really say it's worth my time..Perhaps I'm missing something here..

sPvP sounds great on paper for me too but playing a bit these past few days it just feels messy and I'm not sure what I'm doing and if I'm doing something it doesn't feel like it "registers"... Hits don't seem to "hit" other players etc.

I don't want to give up since it's the last MMORPG i'll probably buy for a while (I gave up on all the rest out there) and I refuse to go back to monthly fees so... Any ideas? Suggestions?

I'm thinking I'm missing something since this game doesn't follow the usual MMO guidelines like quest hubs etc. so...help out a fellow gamer? :)

People feel they need to be forced to group in order for it to be considered by them an MMO - I think that defeats the purpose. It may not be the game for you - honestly.

1. Do you belong to a guild? That helps in social activity.

2. Do you do DE's? That also helps - as people need to work together - it doesn't mean in the same group though.

3. Chatting - do you chat or just blow through maps?

4. There is no quest hubs per se - but when you get near hearts - you get the quest and it shows up in a list on the right side of your screen.

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by botrytis

People feel they need to be forced to group in order for it to be considered by them an MMO - I think that defeats the purpose. It may not be the game for you - honestly.

1. Do you belong to a guild? That helps in social activity.

2. Do you do DE's? That also helps - as people need to work together - it doesn't mean in the same group though.

3. Chatting - do you chat or just blow through maps?

4. There is no quest hubs per se - but when you get near hearts - you get the quest and it shows up in a list on the right side of your screen.

So.. 

1) Yes I do, albeit not a very active one... They're really friendly and involving and tightly-knit but there's not always someone online to chat with...

2) DE? I am assuming the Dynamic Events (hearts??) - If you mean this, then yes I just run around trying to get all the skill points/vistas and hearts - However I rarely find someone around 

3) I don't really chat since I don't really find anyone around that's willing to do so...Even If I do stop to smell the roses, the others aren't.

4) Yeah I figured that out so I go to POIs and hearts and when I'm done with an area I move to the next

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I didn't have fun until I got to the later zones which were more of a solo challenge and gave you more of a sense of accomplishment. With the limiting of skills and character progression being pretty weak, I resorted to making too many alts which helped with my need for more skills and character progression.  I'm now finally hooked working towards 100% world completion with my lvl 80.

You may also try playing duo if available or joining a guild.  Both should help with the boredom and ease of the first 50ish levels.

Edit: Another good thing about the later zones, very limited boring heart "quests".

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

I actually got the same exact feeling as you do.

the game look gorgeous, the atmosphere is well made, even animation is fluid and fast paced. On paper the game do look very nice, of course the heart race can get a bit boring, but no game is ever perfect and overall this game should be one of the best ever made for my taste.

But ...

For some odd reason i got bored of it extremly fast, not to a point of things getting tedious but it was like looking at a beautifull something and be like : "meeeeh" and i am not alone on this, a lot of friend stoped and can't really put a finger on why, it kinda feel for me as if u are disconnected when playing and something is missing, maybe a little bit of soul. Overall its not feeling much epic.

I pretty much feel like i am in a big theme park with npc suddently poping on me and offering quests, a big feeling of something do look very fake in this game and there is nothing to hide it

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I didn't have fun until I got to the later zones which were more of a solo challenge and gave you more of a sense of accomplishment. With the limiting of skills and character progression being pretty weak, I resorted to making too many alts which helped with my need for more skills and character progression.  I'm now finally hooked working towards 100% world completion with my lvl 80.

You may also try playing duo if available or joining a guild.  Both should help with the boredom and ease of the first 50ish levels.

I didn't have fun because this game has no soul.  It's just another solo game with easy content and progression, boring combat, useless crafting, etc.  There's no challenge to it, nor is there anything remotely player-driven.  .

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

Hi, I totally agree with OP.  I bought into the hype and could not wait to play GW2.

After a few months I am struggling with some of the mechanics of the game and dont 

know why.  I just dont enjoy my time in the game.

I recently got the unlimited free trial of TERA and I really think I am enjoying it more than GW2.

Shame.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367
    If you were a heavy WOW player...it is going to be rough. Blizzard did psychological studies and tweaked their game based on Pavlovian principles. Meaning, they tried to connect directly with our subconscious...ring the bell, the dog starts to salivate.

Other games that aren't designed to specifically target that, always feel like they are missing something. The part you are missing is the subconscious salivating.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

"The game is great but why am I not having fun?"

I have been trying to figure it out since I started playing at launch. I think for me it is the fact that every class feels the same for some reason. And, I really don't care for the lackluster crafting system.

I am sure that it will eventually "click" for me, but I hope it happens soon.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

From a WvW perspective, if you just go there and run around haphazardly it'll feel meaningless. However, if you get into whatever chat system is set up (on Jade Quarry there's a server-wide TS for example) and run with some of the commanders it really falls into place... the strategies and tactics can really suck you in and you'll burn lots of hours in there having a blast.

For the PvE side... you've played WoW, so you understand a PvE system that's actually designed to be solo. Hell, WoW you have to actually compete for mobs instead of being able to share in the kill like in GW2. When you see people in GW2, go with them instead of instinctively going away from them as you do in WoW. It'll make a big difference.

sPvP... haven't actually stepped foot in that arena yet, so there's a whole section of the game I've yet to experience.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by bansan
    If you were a heavy WOW player...it is going to be rough. Blizzard did psychological studies and tweaked their game based on Pavlovian principles. Meaning, they tried to connect directly with our subconscious...ring the bell, the dog starts to salivate. Other games that aren't designed to specifically target that, always feel like they are missing something. The part you are missing is the subconscious salivating.

As scary as this sounds, it feels like you hit the nail on the head.

It rewards you but it doesn't feel as rewarding!

I think a lot of us feel the same as I see here so this can't be random... Probably the others played WoW as well..

I think I have this feeling with other games as well but I quit for other reasons (e.g. too old like EQ2 or had some flaw I couldn't accept) but i could point my finger to that (e.g. I hated Tera's art style so I had no reason to play it)

But with GW2 it feels like EVERYTHING is great...yet the enjoyment is missing..

Wondering how to "reprogram" myself now :P

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I didn't have fun because this game has no soul.  It's just another solo game with easy content and progression, boring combat, useless crafting, etc.  There's no challenge to it, nor is there anything remotely player-driven.  .

I think that is an excellent way of putting it for me as well. Not that the game is bad, it just feels blah to me for some reason.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

I have been trying to figure it out since I started playing at launch. I think for me it is the fact that every class feels the same for some reason. And, I really don't care for the lackluster crafting system.

I'm just going on a wild-assed guess here, but have you actually taken the time to learn the skills beyond the "spam on CD" phase? If you look, most skills have multiple things they do, from damage to controlling enemies to buffing allies. There's a lot of situational use to them, and when you have down how to use each one for maximum impact as opposed to simply pushing numbers you'll see a real difference in how it all flows. Some skills feed off each other as well... on my baby necro I noticed one skill that does additional damage based on conditions on the enemy. So when I started to focus on stacking conditions prior to using it I noticed it was a much better skill kept in the pocket until the right time as opposed to a mediocre-when-spammed type skill. I think a lot of people that are having some issues with the combat may not be grasping the situationalness of many of the skills which would definitely interrupt the flow as intended.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    if you look for the big Orange Circle event there are a change you meet other players doing so. it's not like Wow or any other MMORPG out there. but don't look for group like you ask some other players to join you, they mostly fight beside you to get taske and stuff done. believe me on the right server you bump into a lot of players .. and then follow them around doing stuff.
  • XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Volkon

For the PvE side... you've played WoW, so you understand a PvE system that's actually designed to be solo. Hell, WoW you have to actually compete for mobs instead of being able to share in the kill like in GW2. When you see people in GW2, go with them instead of instinctively going away from them as you do in WoW. It'll make a big difference.

I agree with this statement, At first I was quick to get away from people, but now I am always seeing what others are doing and running to them. Makes a big difference.

Also what server are you on? Is the population high? I transfered from a High server to a Very High server and it made a bit of difference, people are always calling out events and linking waypoints. 

I am more than willing to game with people, I am on Stormbluff Isle, Xithryl.2807 Server transfers are free every 7 days for now. If you don't want to Xfer we can always do dungeons once you get up to 30 :)

That goes for anyone, add me and lets adventure! I'm loving this game all of a sudden always willing to adventure with friends!

I spent the past 2 days reading my skills/traits and trying different builds... However I'm not feeling I'm getting feedback... sPvP feels a lot zergish... As If it doesn't matter what I'm doing... 

Probably I should try to "re-learn" the whole combat/skill thing but I am not sure I have patience...It does feel like WoW did a trick on me(or us if you prefer) - I feel very lazy to get educated about the game and so on :P

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    I hear ya OP. It was a game I was looking forward to alot. I didn t get big time into the hype, as I thought GW2 would be a great second MMO. It couldn t even do that for me. It, IMO, is the most souless MMO, I ve played in years. The biggest gripe I had, was even though I talked to people etc. 90% of them didn t even care if you existed. Oh well, maybe one day, if they add some stuff to my liking, I will reinstall, but nothing they ve mentioned, has me jumping for joy at all.

If you think about it I'm not sure it's the game to blame..

The market is oversaturated with MMOs. we're all eager to try something new... After 10 different games played...Can you really be suprised or excited? 

I am thinking that maybe you can't... No matter how good a game can be or how perfect it does things, it will still feel unsatisfying.. I mean, hell, we used to play old NES/SNES games that were actually BAD and broken and we still enjoyed them and remember them fondly...

The times have changed I guess...

Also maybe I should change my class in GW2 :P

I am on Aurora Glade btw, I'm in EU it's a very high pop server

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    If you're not having fun, then maybe the game really isn't that great (for you)?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

I'm just going on a wild-assed guess here, but have you actually taken the time to learn the skills beyond the "spam on CD" phase?

I am not talking about the skills themselves. I am talking about animations and mechanics. You have a "jump back" or "jump to" animation on all classes. I think the different weapon skills options forces the recycling of similar mechanics and it makes the animations generic.

/2cents

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by zspawn

It was a very lonely game when I played it.  No one talked to each other or groped up to do anything except speed runs though dungeons.  I joined a few guilds but never clicked with the people in them so got bored and left.  Of course one can say the same thing about most of the games released in the last 5 years.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Tastes great but not filling.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

As you said, GW2 is pretty much a single player game.  Sure, some fans will come by and tell you that you need to be social to make GW2 social, but the game just isn't designed as such.

It's pretty much a carebear game.  Nobody is permitted to have rivals, like in other MMO's.  No /who command, because that might lead to stalking.  Extremely limited emotes.  Guilds that only serve as an extra chatbox option.  No inspect, no achievement comparisons.  Nothing that might make someone feel competitive.  Just, 'blah'.

Zones might be interesting if they weren't always square shaped.  Exploration is silly, because the map is pretty much already laid out for you by it's square / rectangular design.  Points of interest / Vista's / anything interesting is clearly marked on the zone.

I guess a big selling point of GW2 is jumping puzzles, but even EverQuest had areas that required jumping.  It wasn't a game feature then, but now it suddenly is.

Great graphics engine with GW2 though .. just a very lonely & boring game inside.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

I have been playing it since it released. I have other games I am playing as well so it took me a long time to get to 80. I just hit 80 a couple weeks ago on my ranger. Once I got around 30+ I really started enjoying the game more, my ranger was moving up in power and was just a blast to play, at least till around 70ish. That is where the game has failed for me. One set of creatures in the game I have always hated is the undead/risen crap. They are vastly more powerful than their normal mob conterparts and unlike the normal mobs, they almost exclusively ignore your pets and go after you. They are faster, hit harder, have higher hitpoints and are just a huge pain in the ass.

Enter levels above 70+... The entire zone is all undead/risen crap. They put groups of mobs so close to each other that it is dang near impossible to fight only 1 small group. Running through the zones is absolute insanity due to how they have the mobs positioned. Dont even think about waypoints. 95% of them are ALWAYS contested so you can't spawn at them if you want to. I was/am extremely disappointed in Orr and how they set that entire zone up. Oh, and not only do you have to try and deal with the zone, your final story, you know the one you have been forced to solo the entire game? Yep, you guessed it, the final fight you are now forced to group for it. That simply does not make sense in any realm. it is supposed to be YOUR PERSONAL story yet the final fight you are forced to group? What were they smoking when they did that? Grouping is fine and all, but again, this is your own personal story that you have solo'd all the way up with. Oh well, hated/still hate Orr with a passion and frankly do not want to level another character up just to have to go back to freaking orr again.

Originally posted by Karteli

As you said, GW2 is pretty much a single player game.  Sure, some fans will come by and tell you that you need to be social to make GW2 social, but the game just isn't designed as such.

It's pretty much a carebear game.  Nobody is permitted to have rivals, like in other MMO's.  No /who command, because that might lead to stalking.  Extremely limited emotes.  Guilds that only serve as an extra chatbox option.  No inspect, no achievement comparisons.  Nothing that might make someone feel competitive.  Just, 'blah'.

Zones might be interesting if they weren't always square shaped.  Exploration is silly, because the map is pretty much already laid out for you by it's square / rectangular design.  Points of interest / Vista's / anything interesting is clearly marked on the zone.

I guess a big selling point of GW2 is jumping puzzles, but even EverQuest had areas that required jumping.  It wasn't a game feature then, but now it suddenly is.

Great graphics engine with GW2 though .. just a very lonely & boring game inside.

In the beginning, the art/graphics was my biggest complaint. Now, it is my favorite MMO for graphics/aesthetics.