Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space combat- a failure?

12346»

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

Why can't people just enoy something for what it is not what they think it should be?

Lemme summarize this last line of yours for you ....

I don't really care about this topic so let me dismiss the gripes

Considering that the vast majority of the gripes are that its not something else, yes, they should be dismissed.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

Why can't people just enoy something for what it is not what they think it should be?

Considering that the vast majority of the gripes are that its not something else, yes, they should be dismissed.

SWTOR is an odd topic where a critic can complain that the space combat game is too limited in scope and there isn't enough new content; and a defender's reply is that the space combat game was never intended to be more then what it is, so stop complaining, and as for not enough new content, Bioware is working on a super secret space project.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I do care about topics like this. As stated in other areas, space is one aspect they are looking to improve. I'm comfortable that it is a mini-game. However as I was trying to point out in my post people are complaining about something else

"Hey I've had this great trukey sandwich once, now I have this ham sandwhich. The ham sandwhich is kinda dry without so much on the toppings department. Why can't it be just like my turkey sandwhich?"

Answer simple, it isn't a turkey sandwhich,if  you want a great turkey sandwhich, buy a turkey  sandwhich, don't buy a ham sandwhich and expect it to be exactly the same.

sto has a different spaceexperience, it has both ground andspace combat and missions. yet people come here and bash SWTOR because it isn't SWG which "had all this great stuff, why can't it be more like SWG" well from as I understand it STO is more like the SWG experience than SWTOR is. if people are looking for a space experience, go there. Complain it isn't the same? well as I've already stated each game will be different. Heck Sequals are never the same.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

"Hey I've had this great trukey sandwich once, now I have this ham sandwhich. The ham sandwhich is kinda dry without so much on the toppings department. Why can't it be just like my turkey sandwhich?"

Answer simple, it isn't a turkey sandwhich,if  you want a great turkey sandwhich, buy a turkey  sandwhich, don't buy a ham sandwhich and expect it to be exactly the same.

sto has a different spaceexperience, it has both ground andspace combat and missions. yet people come here and bash SWTOR because it isn't SWG which "had all this great stuff, why can't it be more like SWG" well from as I understand it STO is more like the SWG experience than SWTOR is. if people are looking for a space experience, go there. Complain it isn't the same? well as I've already stated each game will be different. Heck Sequals are never the same.

Ah...but then they play STO and gripe because the space experience is more like Starfleet Command than jump to lightspeed. Plus you get to hear the whole laundry list of things that STO doesn't have such as SWG style crafting, SWG style housing, player run economy , mounts etc etc.etc. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yes the swg guys prolly hurt this game more than any other interest group

imitating a corpse is not the way to success

theyre even divided,,pre CU, or CU version

technically,,this is the famous third strike(no im not a baseball fan)

ill just play other games, until the saga continues,,whenever that will be

at least we  get a new movie in 2015

(scarlett johannson in slave costume, with lots of high kicks ,,i think it will be great)

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by NeoCroX997

I would like to hear what you think about swtor space combat as it is now. When I played star wars galaxies it was one of the greatest combat system in a mmo. Now they swtor´s slight different, but they still keep some parts like upgrading the ship.

Question is why have they not kept the SWG space battle system. It would be the greatest! With pvp and spaceship controll. As it is now, I find it dull to play space missions and rather avoid it. Even for the good xp. For now the ship moves by it self and you only have to aim. Well some say it is relaxing to do something else and take a break from the mmo, but common. That idea from SWG was brilliant and worked well. I spent days only playing space combat in that game the old days and have to say even with the older graphic, it still was the best gameplay. A bit shame they brought this instead and make it look like a "mario" game instead. Could have been so much better and with their experience, almost a dissappointment. Looked really forward to it. But the good thingd about it, is the mini game is actionpaced and fast. Nothing more.

So how do you think about it. How would the perfect space game for star wars look like for you ?

Welcome to what people were saying two years ago in closed beta? Its a dead horse than is beyond being beaten, only dust is what remains of the poor beast, and the game as a whole aswell.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Not so much a failure but more of a gimick. That type of combat has been done before. 
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I actually like the space combat. It's a refreshing throwback to the old school Star Wars games.
  • NeoCroX997NeoCroX997 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Alright thank you participating and also for the comments! :)

If we go a little bit off topic about the space combat, but still stick to the space theme.

Instead of talking about space combat what with something else that I saw someone talking about. But let's stay within the subject "space".

Right now it has the function to go around to other planets and invite other players into the ship. Some cases there are missions available. And you also have access to storage.

That ship you get to ride around in space to other planets were supposed to act as a "house". Do you think it is successful as it is now? Do you have any ideas how to do better so it feels more alive. Or perhaps you think it is good and needs no change.

I had an idea to have your house on another planet and that you could do different activities on the planet along with other players, activities that would stick out from the other planets.  Would that work good?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I actually like the space combat. It's a refreshing throwback to the old school Star Wars games.

It is only good for about 5 mins, and it could have been a whole lot better by making the missions more differnt.

I first played on the Republic side, and then when I got an Imperial character to the space missions, I was looking forward to more missions, but they were exactly the same as the Republic missions, then I was completely disappointed.

In STO they have a foundry system where players can create their own missions, and even the worst of them that take a few mins to do, is better and more fulfilling than what SWTOR does.

It also could have been better if they used the mechanics as in Lego Star Wars, it is similar to SWTOR space combat but you can have more freedom, as you can fly all about the map and slow down or speed up your ship.

SWTORs space combat is really cheap and nasty, even if accepting it as a mini-game, and not like EVE/SWG/STO.

Originally posted by NeoCroX997

Alright thank you participating and also for the comments! :)

If we go a little bit off topic about the space combat, but still stick to the space theme.

Instead of talking about space combat what with something else that I saw someone talking about. But let's stay within the subject "space".

Right now it has the function to go around to other planets and invite other players into the ship. Some cases there are missions available. And you also have access to storage.

That ship you get to ride around in space to other planets were supposed to act as a "house". Do you think it is successful as it is now? Do you have any ideas how to do better so it feels more alive. Or perhaps you think it is good and needs no change.

I had an idea to have your house on another planet and that you could do different activities on the planet along with other players, activities that would stick out from the other planets.  Would that work good?

It seems like it could be possible to do housing on another planet. Instead of creating a planet with more missions like Makeb, they could create a planet with housing instead.

Originally posted by superniceguy 

It seems like it could be possible to do housing on another planet. Instead of creating a planet with more missions like Makeb, they could create a planet with housing instead.

I highly doubt the game will ever have a planet of player housing, too much work and optimization issues with the engine.

If they do explore custumizable housing, it will be via the player's ships.

In fact they have stated previously that they would like to make interioe items available for custumizing the ship, (and would be a money maker on the cartel market) but have also stated that they never intend to make the exteriors of player's ships custumizable. (They said it would fubar game mechanics too much.) All exterior ship upgrades are "invisible".

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by simplius

(scarlett johannson in slave costume, with lots of high kicks ,,i think it will be great)

OMG!!! Johannson? EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLIAH!!!!!!

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         To be honest I've never found good space combat in any MMO.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

It is only good for about 5 mins, and it could have been a whole lot better by making the missions more differnt.

I first played on the Republic side, and then when I got an Imperial character to the space missions, I was looking forward to more missions, but they were exactly the same as the Republic missions, then I was completely disappointed.

In STO they have a foundry system where players can create their own missions, and even the worst of them that take a few mins to do, is better and more fulfilling than what SWTOR does.

It also could have been better if they used the mechanics as in Lego Star Wars, it is similar to SWTOR space combat but you can have more freedom, as you can fly all about the map and slow down or speed up your ship.

SWTORs space combat is really cheap and nasty, even if accepting it as a mini-game, and not like EVE/SWG/STO.

True, they could have verried it a lot more, but the underlining mechanics of it are pretty good in my opinion.

Originally posted by simplius

yes the swg guys prolly hurt this game more than any other interest group

imitating a corpse is not the way to success

Even STO did a better job with less devs, less funding, and less time

Also there was EVE

True, they could have verried it a lot more, but the underlining mechanics of it are pretty good in my opinion.

I just do not appreciate being yanked about, its gets frustrating when you want to go one way, but then the game takes you another way.

Also it gets really boring when you complete all your objectives, but then got to just stay the rest of the ride. Once you completed all your objectives, then it should either end, or a "hyperspace" button pops up to end the mission. If they did that then I would be have slightly more motivation to play them more.

One time I finished it with about 3 mins left, and then went to get something to eat while the ship ran its course by itself!

• NeoCroX997NeoCroX997 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Now, we talked about what we want to be better with the space part. And what is good and less good. And it's great to see many different answers to what you think.

Final phase:

Now, we talked about what we want to be better with the space part. And what is bad and what is less good. And if you think it's good as it is, it's totally fine with me. And it's great to see many different answers to what you think about space combat. Although the game does not suit everyone, but I still think there are good ideas too. This time, we try to stick to as it is and that we like.

If it is true that the "new" project will be published soon, hopefully.

Then comes the question:

What elements do you want to keep, into the new project?
    It can be anything you can imagine to carry over to the new project.

For what it's worth, the consensus opinion on the hints that Bioware has dropped is that the super secret scpace project is the same on-rail shooter with a co-op mode (of 2 people).

This does of the advantage of making co-op missions impossible to bot (a problem no one seems to want to talk about, especially Bioware) so the rewards could be significantly better.

With better rewards, and the novelty of co-op, the on-rails missions could see a bump in playtime.

Incidentally, the cartel shop has already been selling best-in game ship parts, so giving people a reason to play the space missions would be a benefit to Bioware.

If the consenensus opinion is right, the on-rail missions will be slightly better, but nothing terribly innovative.

Most people have already said they want free roam 3-D space, comparaple to SWG JTL, EVE, or even Rogue Squadron.

Bioware already knows this, and seems to have gone ahead with upgrading the on-rail space system.

I don't think any suggestions at this point is going to affact Bioware's course on this. They have already committed resources to the on-rails upgrade, and do not appear to have the resources to do anything else at this point.

Before I get flamed, this is opinion.