Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space combat- a failure?

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by lizardbones

If all three hundred thousand SWG fans each put $175 together, they could have SWG developed at the same level as Rift was developed. If they each put $85 in the pot, they could have an Asian developer write it at the same production level as ArcheAge.

So how much would it take for fans of the NGE since their fanbase is even smaller?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tor is a cut down more linear wow (congratulations eaware I thought that was imposible)

With more cutscenes
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ktanner
    Other than more cutscenes, more corridory world design and the space fantasy rather than high fantasy setting.

How does swtor differ from wow?
    What major thing does it do different apart from cutscenes?
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's Star Wars space on rails, of course it's fail.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ktanner
    Other than more cutscenes, more corridory world design and the space fantasy rather than high fantasy setting.

You say that like as if it's a little thing. That makes the game VASTLY different. Instead of clicking on a NPc and being confronted with loads of boring text, I get a conversation with the character along with choice to respond any way I which. I can make my character rude or cool, dark or light. It just makes the whole leveling experience more fun. It also makes replayability more interesting as I can change the gender along with the attitude and get a different relationship with the character.  In WOW, the NPC just stands there. No emotion,  no nothing. You might get a brief "Hello and welcome" but thats it. Just a still NPC with  text over his head. BORING....

WOW's leveling is nothing like TOR, WOW's crafting is nothing like TOR,WOW's combat is nothing like TOR's and WOW's graphics are nothing like TOR's.  The only thing that the game's have similiar is they are both themeparks. 

TOR is a game with an emphasis on role playing. WOW is a game with an emphasis on grinding. Big difference. 

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by NeoCroX997
    I would like to hear what you think about swtor space combat as it is now. When I played star wars galaxies it was one of the greatest combat system in a mmo. Now they swtor´s slight different, but they still keep some parts like upgrading the ship.Question is why have they not kept the SWG space battle system. It would be the greatest! With pvp and spaceship controll. As it is now, I find it dull to play space missions and rather avoid it. Even for the good xp. For now the ship moves by it self and you only have to aim. Well some say it is relaxing to do something else and take a break from the mmo, but common. That idea from SWG was brilliant and worked well. I spent days only playing space combat in that game the old days and have to say even with the older graphic, it still was the best gameplay. A bit shame they brought this instead and make it look like a "mario" game instead. Could have been so much better and with their experience, almost a dissappointment. Looked really forward to it. But the good thingd about it, is the mini game is actionpaced and fast. Nothing more.So how do you think about it. How would the perfect space game for star wars look like for you ?  

If you have played the space combat you already know the answer, not even bacon and fries can make that shit taste good.

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ktanner

You say that like as if it's a little thing. That makes the game VASTLY different. Instead of clicking on a NPc and being confronted with loads of boring text, I get a conversation with the character along with choice to respond any way I which. I can make my character rude or cool, dark or light. It just makes the whole leveling experience more fun. It also makes replayability more interesting as I can change the gender along with the attitude and get a different relationship with the character.  In WOW, the NPC just stands there. No emotion,  no nothing. You might get a brief "Hello and welcome" but thats it. Just a still NPC with  text over his head. BORING....

WOW's leveling is nothing like TOR, WOW's crafting is nothing like TOR,WOW's combat is nothing like TOR's and WOW's graphics are nothing like TOR's.  The only thing that the games have similiar is they are both themeparks. 

TOR is a game with an emphasis on role playing. WOW is a game with an emphasis on grinding. Big difference. 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    X-Wing for Mac was great. I'd imagine a good Star Wars spaceflight game would have similar mechanics to be true to the films, if not physics.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117
    I highly doubt you will ever see anything good regarding space combat. After all how good could they make it considering the called adding animal mounts to swtor a technical achievment lol.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Sorry, but you lose me the moment you start saying that TOR is WOW2. TOR is nothing like WOW. 

It's funny. Some people like saying that TOR is WOW2 while others say it sucks because it doesn't have enough WOW features. Got to love the internet . :)

I said that I wish they had said repeatedly "This is not going to be WoW2".

SWTOR mimicked WoW's core features such as; raid focus, gear grind, battlegrounds... you can see it's imprint in many aspects of the game.  They used WoW as a blueprint to make their MMO - they outright told us this during development.  Just because Luke isn't in it doesn't mean it's not a Star Wars game.
    Originally posted by sapphen

Sorry, but you lose me the moment you start saying that TOR is WOW2. TOR is nothing like WOW. 

It's funny. Some people like saying that TOR is WOW2 while others say it sucks because it doesn't have enough WOW features. Got to love the internet . :)

SWTOR mimicked WoW's core features such as; raid focus, gear grind, battlegrounds... you can see it's imprint in many aspects of the game.  They used WoW as a blueprint to make their MMO - they outright told us this during development.  

Raids have been a common feature of MMOs since Anarchy Online. I realize that WOW might have been your first MMO but Blizzard merely used what had already been in MMOs and perfected it. 

Just because Luke isn't in it doesn't mean it's not a Star Wars game.

Who said it wasn't a Star Wars game?

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I'm not going to pull the direct quote, someone else can if they are so inclined, because I'm lazy; but one of the chief Bioware muckity mucks prior to launch stated that they used WoW as a touchstone for game design because to not do so would be folly.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by lizardbones They didn't keep the SWG space combat system because SWToR isn't SWG2. It's a completely different game. The space combat in SWToR was one of the better elements of the game. It fit into the game's other "theme park" elements of the game just fine.
    SWTOR is meant to be a MMO, not a single player game, which SWTORs space combat system is.

STO is not the same as SWG, but it managed to provide a better MULTIPLAYER space game in a MMO than SWTOR. The game also did not take so long to make, or cost as much.

SWG was just too awesome, you could have more than yourself piloting the ship, and have other players manning your guns. SWGs JTL was the ultimate online space game, and no other game or MMO does this at all, not even STO or EVE

I suppose SWTOR space game is better than there being none, and just cutscenes instead, although that could have been pretty awesome actually, considering the gameplay is on rails and you do not have full control.

The space game in SWTOR would have been better if they added in more DIFFERENT missions, instead of Republic AND Empire having the same missions, and then as you get further, you get the same missions AGAIN, but harder, when they should have done DIFFERENT AND HARDER missions. It was just lazy what was done, and players get tired of it a lot lot quicker.

SWToR was meant to be exactly what it was. The rest of the game allowed for a single player focus, so there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same with the space game. It was a mini-game that fit the rest of the game. Of all the things they could put a ton of time and resources into, space missions isn't one of the things that's going to get them any mileage because the entire rest of the game would still be there.

Ugly and just staring at you with one bloodshot, baleful eye. It would have an awesome hat, known as "Character Story Lines", and maybe a really nice briefcase, known as "Space Missions", but otherwise it would be dressed in trailer park chic. Turning the briefcase into a nice cane or monocle wouldn't make the rest of it any less ugly.

SWTOR was meant to be a MMO, not a single player game like ME3 with multiplayer. If it was like ME3 then single player space would have been what it was meant to be.

They should have incorporated space into the story, and made the space and space combat as cut scenes like the rest of the game.

What they have done has all backfired as now they have less SUBBED players than SWG had (although has way more FREE players though)

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by lizardbones They didn't keep the SWG space combat system because SWToR isn't SWG2. It's a completely different game. The space combat in SWToR was one of the better elements of the game. It fit into the game's other "theme park" elements of the game just fine.
    SWTOR is meant to be a MMO, not a single player game, which SWTORs space combat system is.

STO is not the same as SWG, but it managed to provide a better MULTIPLAYER space game in a MMO than SWTOR. The game also did not take so long to make, or cost as much.

SWG was just too awesome, you could have more than yourself piloting the ship, and have other players manning your guns. SWGs JTL was the ultimate online space game, and no other game or MMO does this at all, not even STO or EVE

I suppose SWTOR space game is better than there being none, and just cutscenes instead, although that could have been pretty awesome actually, considering the gameplay is on rails and you do not have full control.

The space game in SWTOR would have been better if they added in more DIFFERENT missions, instead of Republic AND Empire having the same missions, and then as you get further, you get the same missions AGAIN, but harder, when they should have done DIFFERENT AND HARDER missions. It was just lazy what was done, and players get tired of it a lot lot quicker.

SWToR was meant to be exactly what it was. The rest of the game allowed for a single player focus, so there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same with the space game. It was a mini-game that fit the rest of the game. Of all the things they could put a ton of time and resources into, space missions isn't one of the things that's going to get them any mileage because the entire rest of the game would still be there.

Ugly and just staring at you with one bloodshot, baleful eye. It would have an awesome hat, known as "Character Story Lines", and maybe a really nice briefcase, known as "Space Missions", but otherwise it would be dressed in trailer park chic. Turning the briefcase into a nice cane or monocle wouldn't make the rest of it any less ugly.

SWTOR was meant to be a MMO, not a single player game like ME3 with multiplayer. If it was like ME3 then single player space would have been what it was meant to be.

They should have incorporated space into the story, and made the space and space combat as cut scenes like the rest of the game.

What they have done has all backfired as now they have less SUBBED players than SWG had (although has way more FREE players though)

Hmm swtor is not an mmo? Really well I take it you have never played it. Just to educate you a little bit here I will name just a few aspects that make it a very good mmo. Alright here we go....a great story, heroic area *that require you to group with other players, guilds *you join with other players, crafting items that you *sell to other players on the gtn, world bosses *that you need other players to take down, flaspoints *that you run with other players, ops *that you run with other players, datacron hunting *some you need *other players to get, pvp where you group *with other player to fight *other players. Well hope you can now understand this is a mmo not a single player game.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

SWTOR mimicked WoW's core features such as; raid focus, gear grind, battlegrounds... you can see it's imprint in many aspects of the game.  They used WoW as a blueprint to make their MMO - they outright told us this during development.  

Raids have been a common feature of MMOs since Anarchy Online. I realize that WOW might have been your first MMO but Blizzard merely used what had already been in MMOs and perfected it. 

FFS do we have to go there?  Despite your childish remark it doesn't change the fact that WoW HAS raiding and SWTOR added a raiding system to be like WoW, not AO.

World of Warcraft pulled all the cool features from other MMOs and made the popular.  Since then no other developer has approached MMOs with a completely open mind.  We may get a few innovations but they keep trying to do the same thing over and over.  No one ever sat down and said, "Hey, what's some cool content we can design for a large group of players that will challenge them mentally, encourage team work and reward them for their efforts."

Oh, I was testing your ability for abstract thought with the Luke comment... that and teasing you for misquoting me.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by lizardbones They didn't keep the SWG space combat system because SWToR isn't SWG2. It's a completely different game. The space combat in SWToR was one of the better elements of the game. It fit into the game's other "theme park" elements of the game just fine.
    SWTOR is meant to be a MMO, not a single player game, which SWTORs space combat system is.   STO is not the same as SWG, but it managed to provide a better MULTIPLAYER space game in a MMO than SWTOR. The game also did not take so long to make, or cost as much. SWG was just too awesome, you could have more than yourself piloting the ship, and have other players manning your guns. SWGs JTL was the ultimate online space game, and no other game or MMO does this at all, not even STO or EVE I suppose SWTOR space game is better than there being none, and just cutscenes instead, although that could have been pretty awesome actually, considering the gameplay is on rails and you do not have full control. The space game in SWTOR would have been better if they added in more DIFFERENT missions, instead of Republic AND Empire having the same missions, and then as you get further, you get the same missions AGAIN, but harder, when they should have done DIFFERENT AND HARDER missions. It was just lazy what was done, and players get tired of it a lot lot quicker.  
    SWToR was meant to be exactly what it was. The rest of the game allowed for a single player focus, so there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same with the space game. It was a mini-game that fit the rest of the game. Of all the things they could put a ton of time and resources into, space missions isn't one of the things that's going to get them any mileage because the entire rest of the game would still be there. Ugly and just staring at you with one bloodshot, baleful eye. It would have an awesome hat, known as "Character Story Lines", and maybe a really nice briefcase, known as "Space Missions", but otherwise it would be dressed in trailer park chic. Turning the briefcase into a nice cane or monocle wouldn't make the rest of it any less ugly.  

SWToR was an MMO. Just not a good one.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWTOR is meant to be a MMO, not a single player game, which SWTORs space combat system is.   STO is not the same as SWG, but it managed to provide a better MULTIPLAYER space game in a MMO than SWTOR. The game also did not take so long to make, or cost as much. SWG was just too awesome, you could have more than yourself piloting the ship, and have other players manning your guns. SWGs JTL was the ultimate online space game, and no other game or MMO does this at all, not even STO or EVE I suppose SWTOR space game is better than there being none, and just cutscenes instead, although that could have been pretty awesome actually, considering the gameplay is on rails and you do not have full control. The space game in SWTOR would have been better if they added in more DIFFERENT missions, instead of Republic AND Empire having the same missions, and then as you get further, you get the same missions AGAIN, but harder, when they should have done DIFFERENT AND HARDER missions. It was just lazy what was done, and players get tired of it a lot lot quicker.  
    SWToR was meant to be exactly what it was. The rest of the game allowed for a single player focus, so there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same with the space game. It was a mini-game that fit the rest of the game. Of all the things they could put a ton of time and resources into, space missions isn't one of the things that's going to get them any mileage because the entire rest of the game would still be there. Ugly and just staring at you with one bloodshot, baleful eye. It would have an awesome hat, known as "Character Story Lines", and maybe a really nice briefcase, known as "Space Missions", but otherwise it would be dressed in trailer park chic. Turning the briefcase into a nice cane or monocle wouldn't make the rest of it any less ugly.  

SWToR was an MMO. Just not a good one.

Exactly, and that is why the space game is a failure, and SWTOR is not what it was meant to be, as a MMO is Massively Multiplayer focussed, not single player focussed which you claim it was.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Raids have been a common feature of MMOs since Anarchy Online.

Yeah but battlegrounds and gear grind through questing/badges via vendor isn't. AO was all about world/objective pvp. AO's best gear came from looted components combined through crafting. AO mostly uses randomly generated missions. AO have mixed level zones.

Swtor pretty much got all it's ideas from WoW (but then again so has a myriad of the current generation of MMOs).

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Yeah but battlegrounds and gear grind through questing/badges via vendor isn't. AO was all about world/objective pvp. AO's best gear came from looted components combined through crafting. AO mostly uses randomly generated missions. AO have mixed level zones. Swtor pretty much got all it's ideas from WoW (but then again so has a myriad of the current generation of MMOs).

wow wasn't the first game to include raids and battlegrounds in their game.

the badges change nothing as they are a mechanic to ensure you get the upgrades you want rather than mindlessly grinding the same dungeons and never getting the piece you need.

that said, yes SWTOR is a wow clone. it goes far beyond the fact that tor has raids and battlegrounds like wow.

take talents for example, not only does tor have them but they directly ripped off wow's talent trees and incorporated them into their game.

a lot of the same talents just with different names. i told people that were interested in playing this well before launch that if you have a problem with this game being a lot like wow then you better not buy it.

this game obviously offers content wow doesn't have but it is the very essence of what a wow clone is.

swtor is a wow clone, anyone stating otherwise is kidding themselves.

by the way, i am a current tor subscriber and haven't played wow in well over two years.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by lizardbones They didn't keep the SWG space combat system because SWToR isn't SWG2. It's a completely different game. The space combat in SWToR was one of the better elements of the game. It fit into the game's other "theme park" elements of the game just fine.

what you are suggesting would not have saved tor. making space a part of the game world and not a mini game would not have done much to keep players playing.

the issue IMO is the fact that the game is single player focused with its story content.

not only is that not healthy for an mmo community (because you are not working with other players) but its also impossible to keep turning out new story content at a rate that is necessary to keep people interested.

space story content and the fact you can fly around wouldn't do too much to change that.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by nate1980
    Originally posted by NeoCroX997

I would like to hear what you think about swtor space combat as it is now. When I played star wars galaxies it was one of the greatest combat system in a mmo. Now they swtor´s slight different, but they still keep some parts like upgrading the ship.

Question is why have they not kept the SWG space battle system. It would be the greatest! With pvp and spaceship controll. As it is now, I find it dull to play space missions and rather avoid it. Even for the good xp. For now the ship moves by it self and you only have to aim. Well some say it is relaxing to do something else and take a break from the mmo, but common. That idea from SWG was brilliant and worked well. I spent days only playing space combat in that game the old days and have to say even with the older graphic, it still was the best gameplay. A bit shame they brought this instead and make it look like a "mario" game instead. Could have been so much better and with their experience, almost a dissappointment. Looked really forward to it. But the good thingd about it, is the mini game is actionpaced and fast. Nothing more.

So how do you think about it. How would the perfect space game for star wars look like for you ?

Bioware can't keep anything it never had. This isn't SWG 2, nor should it be compared to SWG. Bioware is a totally different company with different strengths. Name one game Bioware has made that revolved around space combat? Bioware's strength is in storytelling, with dialogue options, and an alignment system. I don't know why anyone would expect a deep space combat system from Bioware judging by their previous game release.

While I liked SWG's Jump to Light Speed expansion, I could really care less about space combat in SWTOR. Not unless they released Republic and Empire Pilots as a class that revolved around that aspect of Star Wars. I'd rather see Bioware concentrate on their strengths and develop more class based stories, or stories of equivalent or better quality for the Empire and Republic as a whole. I want them to develop the story and move the game forward. The timeline for this game hasn't advanced one bit since release and that's sad. Screw space combat until they get a good development schedule for more story going.

This. I always felt they should have left the space fighting for an expansion so that it could be done right.Space is a whole other game in and of itself and Bioware would have been better leaving it out and using those resources in other parts of the game eg: Ilum. 

Shall we give them a chance at Space adventure?  I mean, they could try to fix Ilum, but EA already tried that and it flopped because of design incompetence / game archetecture flaws (engine).  If EA develops a new engine for something it may as well be for Space, just for fair-ups?  If space fails, I'll side with you that they should try to fix Ilum.

If Ilum fails again, then back to Space? /agreed

Don't you think Bioware should stick to their strengths? Bioware isn't known ever for creating space simulation type of games. They're know for crafting good stories with multiple endings. They're not known for PvP either, although I think their warzones are decently made. Their engine really is too bad to create an open world PvP planet though, so they should shelve that idea completely.

If they had any proof of talent to create such a thing akin to the Jump to Light Speed question, then I might sing a different tune. Until then, I think they should expand upon the story on a regular basis, quarterly for sure.

SWTOR definitely copies WoW's formula. Before WoW, the following formula didn't exist:

Solo questing with optional group quests until max level + instanced non-persistant battlegrounds + instant dungeons + instanced small sized raids + gear grind + dailies = WoW model.

When WoW came out with that formula, the formula was fresh and well received. The problem came when almost every developer made that formula a staple for the genre.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Don't you think Bioware should stick to their strengths? Bioware isn't known ever for creating space simulation type of games. They're know for crafting good stories with multiple endings. They're not known for PvP either, although I think their warzones are decently made. Their engine really is too bad to create an open world PvP planet though, so they should shelve that idea completely.

If they had any proof of talent to create such a thing akin to the Jump to Light Speed question, then I might sing a different tune. Until then, I think they should expand upon the story on a regular basis, quarterly for sure.

The only story they will expand comes  one and a half years after launch in paid content update, and not even class stories but bland generic MMO quests like other planets.

So dont hold your breath.

Though you can gamble with RL money for some recolored stuff in gambling packs.

Originally posted by mikahr

The only story they will expand comes  one and a half years after launch in paid content update, and not even class stories but bland generic MMO quests like other planets.

So dont hold your breath.

Though you can gamble with Rl for some recolored stuff in gambling packs.

We're in complete agreement there, and it doesn't make me happy. Because of this, I will unsubscribe after I complete all the class stories. Should take me no more than a couple more months. So around 6 months total sub, likely not looking back afterwards. It sickens me to see that they are spending most of my sub money to fuel the cartel market and that the first think you see on the patch notes always has to do with cartel market items.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Muke

Still, that space JTL thingy felt too limited.

it wasn't needed, you could always take the shuttle.

What i missed was open space, too few ships and not enough modifications......this goes especially for swtor.

+ I dont like instant travel, press a button and after 1s you are at destination to land on the planet again.....

I miss space mining, hauling passengers, doing cargo missions, things I like in EVE atm. It wasn't 'sandboxy' and 'starwarsy' enough.

My Star Wars dream game would be a combo of ToR, SWG, and EVE. I would add in the elements of the old table top SW game too in that for the actual game mechanics or use KoToR's D20 system. From SWG, I would take the sandbox nature of it and its crafting, social professions like politician and entertainer, community-building tools, and open planets, but keep ToR's storylines and legacy systems. From EVE I would use the ship ideas, mining, hauling and the like.

I would decouple bounty hunters and smugglers from the Republic and Empire sides and have them as neutrals who can pick their own side or none. Heck, maybe even troopers and agents could be neutral (why can't there be Republican agents ? and why aren't there Imperial troopers ?). I would let every character class have the possibility of becoming a pilot. I would include smuggler and bounty hunter missions. SWG and EVE have smugglers in them, and I do mean proper smugglers bringing in illicite trade. There should be a black market since in the movies it seems that Star Wars has them. So why not in ToR ?

To me the number 1 problem with ToR is that it is not open enough, whereas I feel that it should be more sandbox-like overall. They could do it by adding in game systems now and not putting in as much quest-stuff.

And yes to more space. I do find the current missions a bit of a lark, and something fun to do every now and then, but with the froob limitations of being able to only place three per week and not much desire to pay lots of money to have the weekly passes, they really are only a side thing. You could completely pass them by and not really miss anything, whereas in SWG once Jump to Lightspeed was added, I think people would have missed a lot by not going out in space. I thought it was the funner option to the game over land-based combat that was always so wonky in SWG.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.