Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve online population.

ch900712ch900712 Member Posts: 2

Are there many active people playing the game ?

Is the game social ? Can you chat and have fun with people? Or do they just mind their own business ? 

I hate playing mmos with dead chat and no social aspects I would stick to single palyer games if I wanted that.

Is the game going anywhere soon? Would hate to start playing learning everything and then suddenly realise that noone plays the game anymore. ..

Sorry for the many questions I just want some answers because I dont know anyone who plays the game.

Comments

• TwoPlyTwoPly Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Eve has a very healthy and stable population.  Best way to see if you like it is to do the 14-day trial and check it out.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

Eve is possibly the most social game, and it is definitely going nowhere soon.  Remember that it is a single shard server,right now there are 32,843 players online, and you can play with all of them (some are alts of course).  Earlier in the day there were 50,000+ online.  See here for more infos: http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility.

You can play with more people in eve than you can in any other game.

Edit:  Also note that the spikes to 0 are eve's daily 30 minute downtime, occassionally extended.  If you are still up and playing when the downtime comes... then it's time to take a 30 minute powernap.

• Eve is sort of like Ultima Online, in the sense that they are both great older games with healthy populations that will be around when all the new gen MMO's die out. I'd say give it a whirl!
  • BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

EVE's population has been booming over the past couple months and still steadily climbing. It's a great time to join.

There are many, many channels that you can join to chat depending on your ingame or out-of-game interests. I'd recommend the "rookie help" and "Help" channels to start with. And because it's a single shard, there is a *minimum* of 20-25k people on at any time of the day.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Chat is cool when you are in the Noob help channel. But

But

But

You have to initiate the conversation.

There are hundreds of people on the channel, if you stay quiet, no one is going to know you are there. But if you do initiate frendly converstion and ask reasonable questions. (Not: can somone give me sone isk) You will find the channel friendly.

Other than that, find a friendly corp

• ch900712ch900712 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the answers I have already made an account and started to download  the game :)
  • TwoPlyTwoPly Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Good luck!
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by ch900712

Are there many active people playing the game ?

Is the game social ? Can you chat and have fun with people? Or do they just mind their own business ? 

I hate playing mmos with dead chat and no social aspects I would stick to single palyer games if I wanted that.

Is the game going anywhere soon? Would hate to start playing learning everything and then suddenly realise that noone plays the game anymore. ..

Sorry for the many questions I just want some answers because I dont know anyone who plays the game.

Server population peaks at around 52-55,000 at the moment, well up from where it was a year ago. Not sure what you mean by "going anywhere", but CCP are still very actively developing EVE, and the server is as lively as it has ever been. The last time we had any subscription numbers for tranquility, there were about 360,000, and since then the last expansion (Retribution) has been very successful, so it's likely that there are quite a few more now. I think you can safely assume that EVE will be around for at least few more years yet.

The game is social and you can definitely chat to people. Being social is absolutely key to playing EVE. However, CCP do not regulate player interactions: scamming, spying, theft, blue-killing and so on are all part of the game as far as they're concerned. So the challenge is: you have to find a group of people you like and trust to work with, but you also have to protect yourself against being scammed or robbed or ganked.

When you start playing you'll be in an NPC corporation, and you'll be able to talk to the players in that group. You can also join the help channel, which is usually very active, and has around 600-900 people in it whenever I look in. There's a fairly strong culture of helping people with advice and information in EVE, but there's also a culture of contempt for people who busrt in and start complaining and demanding changes before they've tried to work out the problem and do their research. Don't be that guy!

The nearest thing that EVE has to a manual is the ISK Guide. You can download it here: www.isktheguide.com

There are also a large number of really good player run 3rd party applications and information sites. EVEmon will help you plan your skill training, EFT will help you design your ship loadouts, EVE Survival will give you information on PvE and so on.

Basically, download the client, start a trial account and take a look around.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Robokapp

57k online this afternoon.

their highest concurrent peak is in the 60s so population is (BY EVE STANDARDS) very high presently.

really, eve's playerbase has been growing for a decade. slowly but surely.

eve makes no sense in today's mmo status quo...it's growing when everyone else is falling. it's small and growing when everyone else peaks big then falls bigger :). It's a unique game in this sense. certainly one to try. might be for you, might not be. I thought i'd hate it when i tried it 4 years ago. I didnt hate it :D

Its because EvE is unique, and it prides itself on a very very steep but not depressing learning curve, You cant do it all in a month, but you can do something, and alot of somethings makes a big something.

J. B.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Don't worry about if EVE will be there. If you are in for the long haul, EVE will be the game for you. It's a game that takes time to learn and even more to "master".

To give you some perspective: EVE has been around for almost 10 years now, but no character in the game has yet trained all the skills to max level, as with even an optimal training plan it would take more than 18 years.

• AesperAesper Member UncommonPosts: 90
    You have to remember, too, that EVE is a game of commitment. Some people are extremely invested in it. I mean, in-ves-ted to the point they would probably have a panic attack at the thought of losing their hold.

EVE Online player since 2007.

"Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

- Oliver Goldsmith

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Aesper
    You have to remember, too, that EVE is a game of commitment. Some people are extremely invested in it. I mean, in-ves-ted to the point they would probably have a panic attack at the thought of losing their hold.

So true..  I noticed that during my free trial days.. The time alone invested in the game is insane, almost to the point of being unbalanced.. Only one character per account can skill up at a time..  I found that to be extremely greedy of Eve..  The game is extremely penal that you have to stay subscribed to keep up with the skill training system and loot or fall behind..  Don't get me wrong, it's s good game,, BUT it's formula is much like facebook games, which uses conditioniong similar to Pavlov's dog to keep subscribers active..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Rydeson

So true..  I noticed that during my free trial days.. The time alone invested in the game is insane, almost to the point of being unbalanced.. Only one character per account can skill up at a time..  I found that to be extremely greedy of Eve..  The game is extremely penal that you have to stay subscribed to keep up with the skill training system and loot or fall behind..  Don't get me wrong, it's s good game,, BUT it's formula is much like facebook games, which uses conditioniong similar to Pavlov's dog to keep subscribers active..

Of course you have to stay subbed to gain skills.. they are out to make money like any company. if they let unsubbed acconuts gain skill liek subbed accounts then they would just have thousands of alt acconuts sitting inactive..

Anyway it does not take long to spec to a point of being able to PVP.. sure you wont be able to go head to head with the vets but they are vets for a reason.. So yes if you want to get as good as them then you have to invest the time..

Why should more than one character skill at once. Most games only let you gain xp on one alt at a time, do they not? And most games don't let you do so whilst you're unsubbed. Why is EVE "extremely greedy" for doing the same as virtually every other game?

"I don't recommend this resteraunt, they don't give you  lunch and dinner as well when you buy breakfast which is extremely greedy of them, and if you don't pay they stop serving you!"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Rydeson   Only one character per account can skill up at a time..  I found that to be extremely greedy of Eve. 

Almost all MMOs are designed that way.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

No. Just no.

EVE is one of the few games I know where a sub actually makes sense. No matter if you play actively or not as long as you have something in your skill queue you will always get something for you money. There is not harsh penalty for not subscribing, that is just wrong. The skill tree in eve is very wide but not very deep, and to my experience the time it takes you to learn a skill pretty much equals the time it takes you to learn to (semi-)master a new gameplay aspect. So all in all it fits very nicely together.

EvE is one of the least greedy MMO's you will find out there. $5 for the "box" (if you subtract the value of one month free play time), free expansions and no ingame item shop (ok its technically there, but its not used). And you get actual value from your sub even if you hardly play for the period.

Yes EVE is quite inexpensive when it comes to MMOs.

However, their three last "expansions" have pretty much been patches that add very little new content and instead tweak and fix existing systems. Not saying they're not needed, but EVE has not seen really new content (such as the Incursions or Wormholes) in a long time.

Originally posted by tom_gore

However, their three last "expansions" have pretty much been patches that add very little new content and instead tweak and fix existing systems. Not saying they're not needed, but EVE has not seen really new content (such as the Incursions or Wormholes) in a long time.

On the other hand there's a vast amount of existing content. A player starting now won't need to worry about needing "new content" for a very long time.

Originally posted by Malcanis

On the other hand there's a vast amount of existing content. A player starting now won't need to worry about needing "new content" for a very long time.

True.

And I also realize putting in new stuff to EVE is vastly more complicated than adding stuff to a themepark, as everything you add will connect with everything there already is and affect it in one way or another.

I still hope they will start adding content this year, instead of just revisiting old stuff. The latest dev blog gives me hope.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Hello,

i've just started to play EVE (after having a trial account and a buddy invite from a friend).

I tried to be a pirate just so see how that whole pvp works. YARR...no. Didn't work out to well for me personally.

As far as i can say, EVE chat is very active. You get auto added to a NPC Corp upon character creation. (roughly 750people in mine a few days ago and the chat just spins away like crazy), plus a few thousand people in the local chat.

It's active, many people are chatting. Almost all topics are even civilized.

Friendly?.............well most appear to write nice things, but beware in EVE griefing and backstabbing are allowed and considered an "art" by some. Just don't trust anyone, never say specifics in those channels, some people lurk there all day just to ruin one's day for kicks.

That's part of EVE, one has to embrace it. Everywhere you will find people in high-sec, and in low-sec a lot more, afaik all are enemies though. For a game having so much passive gameplay it's very active and feels crowded and MMO-ish as it should be.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    eve is still going strong...the social aspect is kinda like chat room based. lots of people to chat with...to play with its like one of those games where people wont group with u normally unless u in their corp...9/10 of eve players are friendly...most people just look for some fun action to get involved with...cant really recommend anything for u to do ingame besides joining a corp and doing tutorial... also the starting NPC corp u can proly make a few friends in there.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

And I also realize putting in new stuff to EVE is vastly more complicated than adding stuff to a themepark, as everything you add will connect with everything there already is and affect it in one way or another.

Word.  At one point when writing the stuff for the feature site, I sat back and looked at it all: revamping bounty hunting and kill rights, totally updating the crimewatch system, upgrading the UI, adding new ships, rebalancing frigs/cruisers/destroyers, and ripping out the old music system to replace it with situation-based atmospheric audio.

I thought, "Holy crap, what the hell did we just get ourselves into here?"

Adding any given one of those to the code behind a 10-year old MMO has a chance of doing something disasterous, let alone adding all of them at once.... followed by adding a complete other game onto the server with cross-platform communication and the first steps of gameplay (Tactical Strikes) between the two.

Whether it was sheer awesomeness on the part of the EVE dev team or the right number of virgins tossed into Eyjafjallajökull, something saved Retribution from itself. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by sea.shell
    I tried to be a pirate just so see how that whole pvp works. YARR...no. Didn't work out to well for me personally.

May i ask what went wrong?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Too few people around in low sec which are possible prey.
    Too many people for a lone rifter.
    Nullsec is full of groups.

Just wasn't my thing either. Now i'm in a lowsec corp, get my destroyers / cruisers / Battlecruisers and frigates ships supplied. The moment i undock i'm in a fleet chasing other blobs of our system or roam with them.

Personaly the logistic / EWAR role is much more fun than sitting alone in a safespot and DScan passing by strugglers.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Word.  At one point when writing the stuff for the feature site, I sat back and looked at it all: revamping bounty hunting and kill rights, totally updating the crimewatch system, upgrading the UI, adding new ships, rebalancing frigs/cruisers/destroyers, and ripping out the old music system to replace it with situation-based atmospheric audio.

I thought, "Holy crap, what the hell did we just get ourselves into here?"

Adding any given one of those to the code behind a 10-year old MMO has a chance of doing something disasterous, let alone adding all of them at once.... followed by adding a complete other game onto the server with cross-platform communication and the first steps of gameplay (Tactical Strikes) between the two.

Whether it was sheer awesomeness on the part of the EVE dev team or the right number of virgins tossed into Eyjafjallajökull, something saved Retribution from itself. :)

it helps if the dev team that were involved in the original coding is the one doing the improvements/changes, and the coding of Eve has been 'evolved' progressively over time, mostly in a reactionary way to player activity, they have after all, had to improve the coding to deal with large 'blobs' player fleets numbering sometimes in the 1000's which used to cause hideous amount of lag, particularly in the fights themselves.  Eve is probably virtually unique in this respect, but i do think its one of the reasons why the game has been so successful.image