Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mmo w/ housing, crafting, exploration and a community

XivikXivik Member Posts: 10
Hey there, I've done some thinking over the last few days concerning what I'm really looking for. And I think I'm going a completely different route then my last post hence a new thread.

What I'm looking for us listed in the title, I want a open world that's alive and that's community driven. So I think I'm leaving mite towards a sandbox. I'm looking for a thrill again and a "virtual"piece of world.

I'll give a discription to my old memories which I fondly ponder over from time to time.

My first real mmo was tibia, a topdown 2d, more of a graphical mud as it described itself back in the day.
I had my own little house there which was my little piece if the world, I spent hours decorating it with loot and other stuff just to redo it all the next day. further I would go fishing/wolf hunting for meat and then just stand by my house crafting stuff to sell to higher levels.
while chatting with the guild and having friends come visit me.

Other days I would go out exploring going down dungeons not knowing what would be there and if I would need to hightail it out asap.

Last time I had that sort of fun was in minecraft but alas that's no mmo and it's focused more on creating structures then to "live" and progress your character by training/gaining levels or skills.

Are there any games out now like that? If not any ones I need to keep my eye out for?
Don't mind f2p/b2p or p2p aslong as there is no p2win cash shop involved.

I'd prefer a "new" style version of a game like tibia/uo if there is any.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

Although a bit rough around the edges, Vanguard Saga of Heroes best fits your description. Housing, non-instanced open world, and an awesome community are the strong points of it. 

Other than that, I don't think there is much else that fits your description. Many of us are waiting for a game like you described.

Best of luck to you :)

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by aWRAY

Other than that, I don't think there is much else that fits your description. Many of us are waiting for a game like you described.

Ha, yes, I think you are describing what half of the people on these forums are waiting for.  It's shocking how few games exist with the above-mentioned features.  You would think, as many people as are seeking and asking for a game fitting that description, that they would make some more of them.

• BluequoiseBluequoise Member Posts: 23

I'm sure if ever Bethseda were to make an MMO in there best selling Elder Scrolls searise then it would be much like what you are looking for. Only issue it that those kinds of games rely very heavily on the players to kepp them alive and frankly speaking there are too few players with the time and dedication to put into that.

Right now the two games that come closest to what you're asking for would probably be Darkfall and Vangaurd: Saga of Heros.

Darkfall I know is in the process of converting to free-to-play and myself and the internet guild I'm a part of are awaiting the chance to make a little place of our own where we can live out alternitive lives as an interdependant little comunity.

Vangaurd I watched closely when it was first announced, belive it or not I've been waiting since 2000 for a game like what you're asking for above, and more, and vangaurd looked like it might be close to home for my ideals. Unfortunatly I missed out on the beta testing and last I checked it's still pay-to-play (but that was early last year so it might be different now). Still though from all of my reasearch those are the two games I would reccomend to you.

Inversely, you could always learn to program and make your own game. It might only be a little 2D sandbox with lines for walls, but if it's fun and makes the player have to interact and shape the world around them I'd still play it. I myself am learning how to program because the games that I've been waiting for aren't getting made...so as the old addage says, if you want something done right...you do it yourself. (P.S. learning to dev games gives me alot more respect for the stuff that's out there, lots of work goes into a well made game, and that doesn't just mean the graphics)

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Lokero

Ha, yes, I think you are describing what half of the people on these forums are waiting for.  It's shocking how few games exist with the above-mentioned features.  You would think, as many people as are seeking and asking for a game fitting that description, that they would make some more of them.

First issue, is its not really that many people. Those of us who post on forums are an extreme minority of the mmo population, or even potential population. The second, is you need to convince a fairly substantial number of investors to actually give you money, which is rather hard to do when they can spend that money elsewhere for generally larger returns. Even games like WoW are a pretty poor bet against all of the other areas that such money can be invested.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• BluequoiseBluequoise Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

First issue, is its not really that many people. Those of us who post on forums are an extreme minority of the mmo population, or even potential population. The second, is you need to convince a fairly substantial number of investors to actually give you money, which is rather hard to do when they can spend that money elsewhere for generally larger returns. Even games like WoW are a pretty poor bet against all of the other areas that such money can be invested.

Of course jim, game companies are businesses still, so if they can't make a profit then they can't make games at all. And yes, as well, those of us who post to gaming forums about the games that we have played, like to play, or would like to play are all minorities. You can place the blame where ever you want as to why the games that the voices ask for aren't being made, but never has placing blame fixed anything, nor does passive complaint like the other threads of players crying that the games they play aren't intresting enough.

Players need to decide as indeviduals what games they want to play and what games they would like to invision. Games that are either too ambitious to be profitable or too nitch market be major money makers will likely have small but feircely loyal fan basis. Games that appeal to masses but have no creativity in their design will have large market, but will be replaced when the next new trend of game emerges. It's about human nature here, not the money.

From the perspective of sociology the more a socioty "evolves" the more obvious it is that some traits are humanity and will not disapear but will only chose new manifistations from one age to the next. Things like peubecent boys playing scantily clad women are a part of being human, not social programing. That means that games targeting this ever present facit of the market will conteune to post those intenionally misleading adds that show a sexy gal in clothes any man would burn if he saw his daughter in.

To understand what drives a market trend means needing to understand the moving peices, a market isn't just a product, there must also be both a supplier and a consumer. So while Money is a factor in the games that get made, to limit the market analysis to only accounting for the money factor is an injustice and a very small world view.

I'm not trying to stand on a soap box here, I'm just wanting to make sure anyone else who reads this sees a bigger picture to the issue of "there's this ideal game I'm dreaming of" Ideals are for individuals, collectives influance what becomes reality, and it's people who become leaders who take an ideal, sell it to other's and then make a reality close enough to the ideal that people are...more or less satisfied.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Salem

100% meets what you want and expands on it..

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

I'm not trying to stand on a soap box here, I'm just wanting to make sure anyone else who reads this sees a bigger picture to the issue of "there's this ideal game I'm dreaming of" Ideals are for individuals, collectives influance what becomes reality, and it's people who become leaders who take an ideal, sell it to other's and then make a reality close enough to the ideal that people are...more or less satisfied.

I agree with the majority of what you are saying. My point though is that we are lucky to get any games at all, much less what we have gotten. Every single one has managed to convince smart people that this game will fill such a niche that they will see a rather massive return. the swtor investors were expecting somewhere around a $1b return on that $300m investment, and honestly thats rather small when you consider all of the different areas in the tech sector you can spend that cash and get many many times higher returns based on patent royalties. The people on this forum, and others, claiming that "WE need/want this" and speaking as a collective are foolish.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Wurm Online. Check out some gameplay videos. 
  • Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

Runescape has the features you are looking for, although at a more..limited scale.

There is a member trial I believe, but you can only do housing as a member..anywho.

-Construction of a house is a bit simplistic and uses phasing which means it's not in the open world (Though clans have their own hubs.)

-Crafting is mainly done as a grind to max level. The crafting is somewhat interesting but the interest dies out when you get into the community.

-The community is nearing destruction. There are some good samples out there but F2P isn't always the brightest of the bunch, and most others have been antisocial ever since the Grand Exchange (Think auction house) has been released effectively making it so you barely have to talk to anyone to get through (Besides for some quests and bosses.) However, joining a clan will probably take care of most of the problems.

-I'll give the game a plus on it's questing, which is a huge relaxation breath from other MMOs. While you don't really get too many choices of being good or evil and it's straightfoward, the quests actually feel like..well..a damn quest. The exploration you could have in them is massive and then there are just those that make the game worth it as a whole..Of course, some do take several hours of grinding skills in order to get.

-As a negative..The new combat system may be make-or-break depending if you would like it's past-inactive one which some preferred. Also, the company is starting to feel more cash cow-like ever since the introduction of a few ways to buy "spins" on a wheel of fortune ripoff and offering cosmetic rewards to people who buy membership with game cards cheating those who use credit cards out. It's not pay to win though..hopefully forever.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Everquest 2 or Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

My vote: EQ2

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Only one I can add to the other suggestions is Ryzom.  From what I understand, open world, player driven gameplay, lots of economy.  I heard it starts off a little questy, I guess as mostly a tutorial.  From there it opens up.  I don't know if there's player housing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

outside the box

try Istaria, it has unlimited free trial if you play as a human race, has the best crafting of any game, and a great community, although small

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

Currently im just playing console games waiting for something similar to what you described.  Keep in mind f2p often turn into p2w with cash shops seeing as how like someone posted above, you need some way to generate revenue to the devs which is why i tend to stay away from them.

FFXIV: ARR has some of the features you've listed and after watching my step-brother play in alpha is currently the game i am most excited for.

You will need a decent rig to run it but its graphics engine far surpasses that of anything i've personally seen and the crafting in that game seems to be robust, with 1 character being capable of mastering them all (Beware of extreme grind hours).

Not to mention it has an excellent community that has been actively involved in the rebuilding of this project since the players poll several years ago.

Also a few of my friends are interested in Archeage or w/e, which i believe would fit more of the sandbox description your looking for, however my personal tastes lead me away from sandbox types i would prefer a well-paid professional dev team creating challenging content but thats just my tastes...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Although a bit rough around the edges, Vanguard Saga of Heroes best fits your description. Housing, non-instanced open world, and an awesome community are the strong points of it. 

Vanguard would be a solid choice if it wasn't such a technological piece of garbage......Like you said though, alot of us are still waiting for the game the OP describes.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

outside the box

try Istaria, it has unlimited free trial if you play as a human race, has the best crafting of any game, and a great community, although small

I loved Istaria until about level 20....At that point the game just seemed to grind to a halt.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

The only one thats going to truly fit what you are looking for is Ultima Online, oddly enough this is the second thread tonight that has asked for a game with requirements that only Ultima Online could fill lol. 

But yeah, completely customizable housing, crafting with logical loot, exploration and community in UO is very strong. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    EVE has crafting, exploration, housing and a really strong community.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Vanguard is what matches your description best, but they're currently revamping it to make it up to par with modern standards so in all honesty I would wait a little bit and see what they come up with in way of updates. I'm waiting on ArcheAge, and to find out what EQnext is, but that game will be a long ways off, and SOE hasn't updated us on the progress of Dragon's Prophet.

Games currently released or playable to check out at some point:

1) Vanguard

2) EVE

3) Salem

So upcoming games for you to look forward to would be

1) ArcheAge

2) Dragon's Prophet

3) EQnext

4) Wildstar

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

you might be surprised how 'few' that population actually is.  the sad truth is that the majority of consumers in this market now play games on their phones more than they do PC or console, which has a great effect on funding from inverstors. 

do i want a game with those features? idk. i would have to play the game first. a company could easily make a game with all those features and still fail to attract me (just make a sci-fi). and they could also make a game with none of those features, yet still deliver many OTHER features that I enjoy in video games. I am not that one-sided about anything, escecially my entertainment.

would i love a well-made game with those features set in a premise that I would enjoy? hell yes, I would.

i did notice, you did not list great graphics in your list though, so many old games still exist with those features. good luck finding one you like. i would list them, but I'm sure you heard of them... and have so for years.... just fire up that old client and begone with you....

• XivikXivik Member Posts: 10

Thanks for the tips. Still unsure though. Community is the main priority for me, however I'd really love open world housing (don't mind if the houses are prebuild) imo open world housing just adds to the world, giving players a "home" where they can stall their stuff or start their own shop.  Also I'd love if the world was interactable, for example if someone tossed a parcel on the ground, it would be there instead of magicaly vanish. I want a world thats alive, that's tangible not a simple decor that never changes, always looking the same.

I'm almost leaning towards minecraft, too bad server sizes are so limited there and the few bigger servers are the most extreme case of p2w (donate and get the ability to fly for example) Guess I'm out of luck until archeage/pathfinder online or something comes along 0.o