Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

AMD drivers and Windows 8

AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

So maybe someone else can help me with this.

AMD crashes quite a bit in windows 8 pro atleast for me. Windows 8 will seek out the latest AMD drivers on its own however I get your driver stopped responded and restarted nonsense quite frequently. Windows 7 I have no issues, windows 8 is a problem child.

I'm assuming the issue lies with win8 always trying to load its on amd drivers.. I can't remove them the system goes bonkers and I can't write over it as the issues persist.

Using 5830xtreme

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    Do you already have the latest drivers from AMD, I hope?
  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon
    win8 pulls the latest drivers on its own, it doesn't grab CCC though. I've installed 12.10 aswell but the issue was the same. Removing gpu drivers with win8 seems a bit more troublesome atleast on my end than it was in win7.
  • meredienmeredien NorrköpingPosts: 18Member

I run 12.11 drivers (latest betadrivers) working fine for me atleast, 0 crashes so far since I began using windows 8 in august.

More problematic reinstalling new drivers on windows 8? I never let windows install my drivers, I allways install them from scratch with the downloaded installer from AMD's site, then when I remove em from the control panel and after that use driversweeper 2.1 (to make sure u get all the files removed from the system)

Not saying there arent problems with ATI/AMD's drivers but I havent come across any problems with 12.11 in windows 8 so far, and ive had plenty of drivercrashes on windows 7, so dont start painting windows 8 out to be a problem child just because ur computer are having problems ;D

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,178Member Uncommon

I'm running 12.10 on Windows 8 - no problems at all. Windows will get some version of a WHQL driver (whatever that happens to be at the time), but the drivers from AMD include the CCC and tend to be more up to date. Windows Update can lag by months sometimes.

Is your video card overclocked at all? It looks more like an overclocking problem, and the driver is resetting when something glitches (that was new in Windows 7, to prevent a BSOD and total computer reboot).

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I'm running 12.10 on Windows 8

If you havent tried them already i highly suggest giving the 12.11 betas a bash. Got them on 2 machines, one win8 (modded driver from guru3d) and the other win7 (from the amd site) and haven't had any problems, the performance increase (as you probably already know) is quite significant for the 12.11's if you have a 7 series card.

People should also always remember to install the latest CAP as well as the main driver, they used to just be for crossfire but nowadays they cover bug fixes and optimisations for single cards too.

Nope, I'm still running a 6970 here, so haven't really seen any pressing need to jump to beta drivers.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Win 8 has lots of driver and plug and play problems.

Got a bunch of machines at work that apparently dont have a dvd drive, even though we installed the bloody thing from dvd.
  • KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon

That's fair enough. I suppose that's one difference between these latest AMD drivers and Nvidia's, Nvidia tend to give similar increases on at least the last gen of cards (often 2) even though they only specify the latest.

You might even get away with skipping even the 8*** series by the look of things with that 6970.

Originally posted by Kabaal
    That's fair enough. I suppose that's one difference between these latest AMD drivers and Nvidia's, Nvidia tend to give similar increases on at least the last gen of cards (often 2) even though they only specify the latest.You might even get away with skipping even the 8*** series by the look of things with that 6970.

I'm hoping so, although I usually get the itch to upgrade before I really need to. This 6970 has been a really nice card all in all, and the i7 920 with it a nice combo - I've had the itch to upgrade since Ivy came out but have resisted so far, since there hasn't really been any need.

There are a few things I can't MAX MAX out at 1920x1200 and all stock clocks, but nothing where I've actually had to turn down sufficient detail to where the game still doesn't look fantastic.

• VoreDockVoreDock port richey, FLPosts: 129Member
    Originally posted by Aori
    win8 pulls the latest drivers on its own, it doesn't grab CCC though. I've installed 12.10 aswell but the issue was the same. Removing gpu drivers with win8 seems a bit more troublesome atleast on my end than it was in win7.

don't let windows 8 or 7 pull drivers for your gpu  MS "optimizes" them to work best for most windows users but problem is most users are not gamers  use the beta drivers when windows update screws up your system for gaming  the beta drivers will have a fix within 48 hours subcribe to the gpu newsletter you will hear of such things their sooner  or even check  the forms after each windows update 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILPosts: 1,710Member Uncommon
    12.10 seems to be working for me.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I'm running 12.10 on Windows 8 - no problems at all. Windows will get some version of a WHQL driver (whatever that happens to be at the time), but the drivers from AMD include the CCC and tend to be more up to date. Windows Update can lag by months sometimes.

Is your video card overclocked at all? It looks more like an overclocking problem, and the driver is resetting when something glitches (that was new in Windows 7, to prevent a BSOD and total computer reboot).

My issues were with 12.10, same driver win8 installs. I've used both CCC/Win8 drivers. The card is still stock, it is obviously older as i originally thought it was dying on me. However it runs flawlessly on windows 7 still.