Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Charity Pet Raises $2.3 Million for Hurricane Victims

13»

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Blizzard's new sloggan should be "damned if we do damned if we don't"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Cranktrain

I love this use of microtransactions. Everyone wins, people in need get resources, players get a cute kitten, and Blizzard gets loads of goodwill.

Fuzzy feelings all round. I'd love to do this kind of stuff for my game.

I like it too!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Karteli

"100% of the cost of the Cinder Kitten was donated to the ARC."

To Blizzards wording, 100% of the cost went to the victims.  Not 100% of the profits.

profits might be 10 million for all I know, but it cost Blizzard 2.3 million to hire / train / market / sell the pet.

Did Blizzard just make money again?

You're thinking about it too much. Also, the official wording was "100% of the adoption fee would be going to assist victims of this disaster" (link: http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/?d=2013-1#110215 )

You really reached there. Way out there.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Well if the players were truly that "charitable" they would have clicked on a donate $10 button without promise of a in-game pet.  

The reality is, without the pet, few would have done so... they were buying the pet to add to their collection for yet another pointless achievement... the fact that the money went to helpless victims or Blizzard really never entered into 90% of the purchasers minds.

Most charity raisers such as this have a "for every blah sold or earned, we'll add X to the pot of our own"... Blizzard doesn't do that.  And yet, they have more money than you or I to give.

I say kudos to the players that bought the pet... I don't see Blizzard as doing all that much in this situation.  Hell, the PR alone that they milk out of this more than enough pays for their time and effort promoting it... and they know it.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    Originally posted by Muppetier
    greedy money grabbing evil mega corporation bstds.

Haha excatly my thought, this is just one of those brand/name awareness projects, hoping people will love Blizzard and look at their products, aka a cheezy markerting technique to get more revenue. 

Yes of course it's great the got 2,3M (FROM PLAYERS) to help others out, but do remember Blizzard didn't do anything themselves, so why love them for the selflessness of their players? They make millions and millions of dollars monthly for christ sake they could've spent that right? but they would much prefer having a fancy car or a big house themselves. To bad Blizzard I'm still not buying your products. ;)

[mod edit] you realize it's not free to develope those assets right? And the players probably would not have donated that 2.3 million without the purchase. I don't see other MMO devs doing anything like this. SoE did it once with a Bear pet for Katrina I think or one of the disasters. Other than that, no one.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by pmiles

Well if the players were truly that "charitable" they would have clicked on a donate $10 button without promise of a in-game pet.  

The reality is, without the pet, few would have done so... they were buying the pet to add to their collection for yet another pointless achievement... the fact that the money went to helpless victims or Blizzard really never entered into 90% of the purchasers minds.

Most charity raisers such as this have a "for every blah sold or earned, we'll add X to the pot of our own"... Blizzard doesn't do that.  And yet, they have more money than you or I to give.

I say kudos to the players that bought the pet... I don't see Blizzard as doing all that much in this situation.  Hell, the PR alone that they milk out of this more than enough pays for their time and effort promoting it... and they know it.

Actually, most of them say "For ever item bought a PORTION of the proceeds will go to charity." Or we'll donate $1 for every $5 sandwich purcahsed in June.

Giving 100% of the cost, not even the profits after expense. But the cost is quite generous for a company. I know they can afford it. But as I pointed out before, what other MMO devs were doing this at all?

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Wow, some pretty disgusting comments here. Guess it should be expected on a site like this.

However I'd love to see even 1 donation from another gaming company this year(ever?) that exceeds this.

Sure, you can hate Blizz for whatever, but if you are actually not able to appreciate their donation, there's something really wrong with yourself. Look at what you've become?

Where's the donation from NCSoft, Arenanet, Sony, Funcom etc? It's not made. It will not ever be made either, yet, instead of having some nerdrage at these companies, some deranged people go after the only one that actually did anything.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Rawiz

Wow, some pretty disgusting comments here. Guess it should be expected on a site like this.

However I'd love to see even 1 donation from another gaming company this year(ever?) that exceeds this.

Sure, you can hate Blizz for whatever, but if you are actually not able to appreciate their donation, there's something really wrong with yourself. Look at what you've become?

Where's the donation from NCSoft, Arenanet, Sony, Funcom etc? It's not made. It will not ever be made either, yet, instead of having some nerdrage at these companies, some deranged people go after the only one that actually did anything.

Those saying anything negative about Blizzard doing this are either 12 year old's , or adults with the mentality of a 12 year old.

I rest assured those whining about Blizzard could have given more gave nothing themselves. Nothing.

The Blizzard haters , tax experts who are crowing about write-offs , and all around morons in this thread trying to put any kind of negative spin for Blizzard donating MILLIONS they didn't have to really , really , show just how juvenile and ignorant many of the posters are.

Props to any company donating anything to help.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

For the record, I don't even live in USA. I'd prefer they'd made this kind of charity program to Africa, but I still bought the pet to help.

If giving away my money to help those who are struck by a catastrophe, or just happen to be born in the "third world" is so horrible, we are on our way to a world with no empathy.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Either way, blizzard has done something here that every mega corporation should be doing. This shows the true nature of a company and its employees and customer base, whoever bought one of these pets, and to blizzard setting all this up, you people should pat yourself on the back! Well done!

Almost all mega corps donates huge amounts of money to charity.