Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not miss out on this game.

Comments

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Niburu
    Originally posted by raww

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath were some of the most polished single player ARPGs I ever played. Loved all of the various sequels. They fit the definition of the genre perfectly. Instead of just commenting about how you are right and everyone else is not, why not take a moment and explain to us what genre you feel they belong in.

Nice try but you said Baldurs Gate and this is a RPG for PC released on 21. December 1998.

You and others are mistaking Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance for Baldurs Gate. 

Dark Alliance was a gauntlet style APRG released for the PS2 in 2001. Its not like the Baldurs Gate RPG's, its a different style of game all together. 

I'am well aware of those games but the guy i was quoting said Baldur Gate and nothing else. He made a mistake thats lead to my response. Simple, you should read more carefully

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    I'm still waiting in-line. but when someone is popping a tent this early and only a beta i'm dying to get in and give it a go.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath were some of the most polished single player ARPGs I ever played. Loved all of the various sequels. They fit the definition of the genre perfectly. Instead of just commenting about how you are right and everyone else is not, why not take a moment and explain to us what genre you feel they belong in.

Nice try but you said Baldurs Gate and this is a RPG for PC released on 21. December 1998.

You and others are mistaking Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance for Baldurs Gate. 

Dark Alliance was a gauntlet style APRG released for the PS2 in 2001. Its not like the Baldurs Gate RPG's, its a different style of game all together. 

I'am well aware of those games but the guy i was quoting said Baldur Gate and nothing else. He made a mistake thats lead to my response. Simple, you should read more carefully

A poster shortly after said Baulders Gate Dark Alliance and you simply continued on, not only that if you really did know about those games the assumption would have been that those were the games he was reffering to and not the RPG games. Unless of course you were attempting to troll him, then you would have ignored knowing about those games and keep on going as if he were reffering to the RPG without ever asking or correcting. 

I did read carefully :) 

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Still loving the heck out of this game. Ive put in 1 day and 12 hours and i feel like ive barely scratched the surface. Sure enjoying the shiny loots!!!!! ROAR!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Originally posted by n00bit

This one gets the award for overhyped game of the month. After a couple of days in open beta, I keep asking myself what the big deal is?  This is nowhere near as fun as ARPG classics like Baldur's gate. More than that, this is just plain boring, and I am not that picky. The combat was boring and repetitive after 24 hours, max. There is a redundant drab color scheme which makes it difficult to see what you're doing or where you're walking, an awfully inaccurate eyesore minimap, and everything in the game just kind of looks blurred together to me.  

The best thing this game seems to have going for it in the eyes of the community is that its NOT Diablo 3. That's all anyone talks about. It's not Diablo 3. It seems to me that people were so burned by Diablo 3, that the first ARPG that came along afterwards was going to be screamed from the rooftops, just to relieve a little of the pain caused by Diablo 3. I would honestly prefer Diablo 3 over this game, not that I want to play either of them.

Not bad for a F2P game, but for me it was just plain boring.

stopped reading when you said Baldurs Gate is an ARPG, wtf.

Read abit about game genres before you comment anything.

You might want to take your own advice. If you checked Wikipedia for "Action RPG" you would have seen:

"Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPGaction/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games."

Baldur's Gate is even listed on the page. :) Guess I can keep posting, huh!

Not that I approve of his rudeness, but Baldur's Gate and its ilk are pretty much turn-based RPG's with a bit more freedom of movement. Yes, you can move your characters in real-time, but combat still comes down to turns. I did greatly enjoy them, but as far as people referring to ARPG's nowadays, I would not include those in the general definition. I'd consider the genre to be cRPG (as listed on the game's website).

Thanks for the civil response!  I do realize now that I should have specified that I was referring to the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath variants, which are a series of (at least) four ARPGs from the 2000s for ps2.

May have to load up my emulator and check them out then; wasn't aware something like that existed. I do love the Baldur's Gate world.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    Still loving the heck out of this game. Ive put in 1 day and 12 hours and i feel like ive barely scratched the surface. Sure enjoying the shiny loots!!!!! ROAR!

I just got started in PoE. I have been enjoying the game quite a bit so far. I am hoping the game remains as much fun at higher levels.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Love this game. Hope they keep up the good work.
  • StacksguardStacksguard Member UncommonPosts: 4
    i agree the game is amazing.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

This one gets the award for overhyped game of the month. After a couple of days in open beta, I keep asking myself what the big deal is?  This is nowhere near as fun as ARPG classics like Baldur's gate. More than that, this is just plain boring, and I am not that picky. The combat was boring and repetitive after 24 hours, max. There is a redundant drab color scheme which makes it difficult to see what you're doing or where you're walking, an awfully inaccurate eyesore minimap, and everything in the game just kind of looks blurred together to me.  

The best thing this game seems to have going for it in the eyes of the community is that its NOT Diablo 3. That's all anyone talks about. It's not Diablo 3. It seems to me that people were so burned by Diablo 3, that the first ARPG that came along afterwards was going to be screamed from the rooftops, just to relieve a little of the pain caused by Diablo 3. I would honestly prefer Diablo 3 over this game, not that I want to play either of them.

Not bad for a F2P game, but for me it was just plain boring.

stopped reading when you said Baldurs Gate is an ARPG, wtf.

Read abit about game genres before you comment anything.

You might want to take your own advice. If you checked Wikipedia for "Action RPG" you would have seen:

"Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPGaction/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games."

Baldur's Gate is even listed on the page. :) Guess I can keep posting, huh!

Obviously they refer to Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, that shity action / hack&slash rpg released, thankfully, only on consoles some years back. The real Baldurs Gate games (1 and 2) are pc exclusive with the second being considered as the pinnacle of party based RPG's and rightfully so. And of course they both are light years away from their console cousin and furthermore from hack and slash or shooter games.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Wonder why all votes for PoE are gone? It had really high rating if Im not mistaken and now is 0 !?
    Originally posted by catlana

I just got started in PoE. I have been enjoying the game quite a bit so far. I am hoping the game remains as much fun at higher levels.

Only gets more fun. I die all the time now. It is very challenging and exciting! lol!

Hero Evermore

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I only just started with the game going into open beta, and I'm having a lot more fun than I expected.  IMHO, much better than any other recent ARPG.  Probably even more addictive than D2.   I'm not a huge fan of ARPGs though, I always think about how much better it'd be, if it had the same exact gameplay, but in a more over-the-shoulder perspective.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

This game is still enthralling me on a minutely basis. Do not get me wrong im only lvl 50 but when I have the time. goodness gracious. Its just a joy.

No hype.

No hooplah.

Pure love.

Gaming is good.

Hero Evermore

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    I hate how there doesn't seem to be any WASD movement for this game. I read the answer presented in an interview and realize that they don't believe it is possible without sacrificing other aspects, but for me it is a deal breaker. I dont want to click a lot constantly in a game that is very much based on action, I prefer having the strain spread out among different parts of the hands .
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    I hate how there doesn't seem to be any WASD movement for this game. I read the answer presented in an interview and realize that they don't believe it is possible without sacrificing other aspects, but for me it is a deal breaker. I dont want to click a lot constantly in a game that is very much based on action, I prefer having the strain spread out among different parts of the hands .

This is usually a deal breaker for me also but ive played plenty of games with this play style and its so worth it. I like the controls on this game 100000000x better then any MOBA, so thats good for me at least :D

Hero Evermore

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Hello, I'm currently interested in trying out this game because it's free. Since this is not an mmo, what's its business model? I presume some kind of cash shop? What they offer in it?
    They offer glowy hats and weapon glows and some pets. Also extra character slots (you already start with plenty, 24). It truly is 100% free to play with no pay to win what-so-ever. Hope you enjoy it like the other 250k of us playing daily lol

Hero Evermore

They offer glowy hats and weapon glows and some pets. Also extra character slots (you already start with plenty, 24). It truly is 100% free to play with no pay to win what-so-ever. Hope you enjoy it like the other 250k of us playing daily lol

That's an awesome deal. I'll download this today! :)

Have fun building a unique character! Thats what its all about! Love the skill tree. I truly have just free styled it and I am loving the outcome!

Hero Evermore

Have fun building a unique character! Thats what its all about! Love the skill tree. I truly have just free styled it and I am loving the outcome!

Yeah! I saw it in some preview video on youtube and I was blown away of how many posibilities there are.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

As a big fan of ARPGs, I will most likely give this a shot. Only problem is, I am not sure I *need* another addictive game at the moment image

Currently playing WoW, ToR, TL2 and a bit of GW2 here and there.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Gender locked classes

No character customisation

Server crashes that cause an entire dungeon to respawn just as you are about to get to the last boss. No offline mode to get round this.

Grouping mechanics that have not advanced in ten years

But enjoyable and challenging gameplay with good looking,dark and atmospheric dungeons. Interesting itemisation and skill tree.

Well worth trying.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Muppetier

Gender locked classes

A lot of people are complaining about the gender locks and it's purely because they they don't understand the skill system properly. If you fully understood the skill system you would know that you can make any class and any gender be or do whatever you want. There are no classes in this game, just starting points on the passive skill tree. Every class can do everything another class can with the right passive build and I mean 'everything'.

As for no charcter customisation.. I guess you mean appearance choices. Which is correct.. not that it matters though since you'll be fully kited in armor from head to toe eventually and wouldn't see those choices anyway.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Vannor

Gender locked classes

A lot of people are complaining about the gender locks and it's purely because they they don't understand the skill system properly. If you fully understood the skill system you would know that you can make any class and any gender be or do whatever you want. There are no classes in this game, just starting points on the passive skill tree. Every class can do everything another class can with the right passive build and I mean 'everything'.

As for no charcter customisation.. I guess you mean appearance choices. Which is correct.. not that it matters though since you'll be fully kited in armor from head to toe eventually and wouldn't see those choices anyway.

Start a Witch and turn her into a marauder you will forever be saddled with  useless intellect and lacking some strength. Probably not a major hinderence at the top level but not the best build.

Did not particularly bother me because I always wish to play male warriors, female archers and female sorcerers which is  what the game gives you.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor

Gender locked classes

Start a Witch and turn her into a marauder you will forever be saddled with  useless intellect and lacking some strength. Probably not a major hinderence at the top level but not the best build.

Did not particularly bother me because I always wish to play male warriors, female archers and female sorcerers which is  what the game gives you.

Depends, unless you go blood magic then mana is useful to every class.. INT gives that. The extra INT can also allow you to use some decent INT gems.. like added lighting damage or increased critical damage support gems or all the elemental debuff skills. It'd probably work out better than going full strength, more utility. Not to mention being able to wear some decent energy shield armor if you wanted. Single stat builds tend to worse overall anyway.

The biggest problem with class choice is the quest rewards. But you can still get all the things you need in no time, especially if you trade for them.

Here's an example of 2H Axe witch I quickly put together.. link

There is nothing wrong with that build. Short on strength? not with 400+, wouldn't have mana issues either.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.