Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not miss out on this game.

Comments

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

If this is the case its pretty much a singleplayer ARPG with coop and chat.  

This is basically my feeling after playing for the past couple dyas. A good game but not for me.

Haven't noticed any serious issues overall other than a few D/Cs yesterday. The artwork is decent (for a top down style game) but there isn't a lot of meat, imo. Barter vs gold system is refreshing.

For F2P it's quite good at what it does though.I am sure it will hold a solid niche for folks who like the Diablo style of games.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Digna
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

If this is the case its pretty much a singleplayer ARPG with coop and chat.  

This is basically my feeling after playing for the past couple dyas. A good game but not for me.

Haven't noticed any serious issues overall other than a few D/Cs yesterday. The artwork is decent (for a top down style game) but there isn't a lot of meat, imo. Barter vs gold system is refreshing.

For F2P it's quite good at what it does though.I am sure it will hold a solid niche for folks who like the Diablo style of games.

Agree with you fully. It's actually a very decent F2P game I mean the atmosphere and dungeons and audio have been - from what little I've played through - top notch. 

Again I believe this may change with the introduction of cutthroat. When you throw open world full loot PvP into the equation it actually widens as an MMO whereas you begin to have interactions with players mostly.

Furthermore the progression between players does not become static anymore. You have people looting uniques, and legendary gems off of people so it becomes much more of a witch hunt for treasure amongst players. Thankfully I will roll witch so I will be prepared.

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27

This one gets the award for overhyped game of the month. After a couple of days in open beta, I keep asking myself what the big deal is?  This is nowhere near as fun as ARPG classics like Baldur's gate. More than that, this is just plain boring, and I am not that picky. The combat was boring and repetitive after 24 hours, max. There is a redundant drab color scheme which makes it difficult to see what you're doing or where you're walking, an awfully inaccurate eyesore minimap, and everything in the game just kind of looks blurred together to me.  

The best thing this game seems to have going for it in the eyes of the community is that its NOT Diablo 3. That's all anyone talks about. It's not Diablo 3. It seems to me that people were so burned by Diablo 3, that the first ARPG that came along afterwards was going to be screamed from the rooftops, just to relieve a little of the pain caused by Diablo 3. I would honestly prefer Diablo 3 over this game, not that I want to play either of them.

Not bad for a F2P game, but for me it was just plain boring.

Moo

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by raww

This one gets the award for overhyped game of the month. After a couple of days in open beta, I keep asking myself what the big deal is?  This is nowhere near as fun as ARPG classics like Baldur's gate. More than that, this is just plain boring, and I am not that picky. The combat was boring and repetitive after 24 hours, max. There is a redundant drab color scheme which makes it difficult to see what you're doing or where you're walking, an awfully inaccurate eyesore minimap, and everything in the game just kind of looks blurred together to me.  

The best thing this game seems to have going for it in the eyes of the community is that its NOT Diablo 3. That's all anyone talks about. It's not Diablo 3. It seems to me that people were so burned by Diablo 3, that the first ARPG that came along afterwards was going to be screamed from the rooftops, just to relieve a little of the pain caused by Diablo 3. I would honestly prefer Diablo 3 over this game, not that I want to play either of them.

came to same conclusion.. but i think im just done with these types of games they all feel and play the exact same to me.. i dunno guess i have outgrown them...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

This game is so much better than D3 and one can tell that the studio wasn't out to make a game in disguise, with the main purpose to make money for a multibilliondollar company. To me it feels like it was made by people who put their heart and soul in to make an actual game -and not by code monkeys slaving for suits who's only interest is numbers.

GGG is putting Blizzard to shame and beyond.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

I did purchase an access pack before open beta, enjoyed it for a while. Did try a melee and ranger, boy did it bore me to tears, went back to my witch, am going to create a build centered around summoning adds lol. Fps wise, it gave me way better fps than diablo(microstuttering issue) and latency too(12ms in Poe compared to 180ms in d3).

One thing i dislike, my inventory gets filled in so easily, i wish their pet system was like in tl2 lol. Would be great if  they had a hot join feature which is one thing im spoiled by in diablo3. I love playing with people than you know solo-ing lol. Another thing which i really wish for them to improve is teh camera zoom, it seems kinda too zoomed in whereas in tl2, the camera is just perfect.

Overall, i dont really find the skill system complex, i loved it, i guess different stuffs for different people lol.

Anyways OP, imma add u, hope we can pt up.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

came to same conclusion.. but i think im just done with these types of games they all feel and play the exact same to me.. i dunno guess i have outgrown them...

Ironic that the next two posts after ours were about how PoE is better than D3 :)

Moo

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by sadWinds

Would be great if  they had a hot join feature which is one thing im spoiled by in diablo3. I love playing with people than you know solo-ing lol.

There are noticeboards in all the hubs that show all the open groups.. that you can instantly join and then play with those people.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I did purchase an access pack before open beta, enjoyed it for a while. Did try a melee and ranger, boy did it bore me to tears, went back to my witch, am going to create a build centered around summoning adds lol. Fps wise, it gave me way better fps than diablo(microstuttering issue) and latency too(12ms in Poe compared to 180ms in d3).

One thing i dislike, my inventory gets filled in so easily, i wish their pet system was like in tl2 lol. Would be great if  they had a hot join feature which is one thing im spoiled by in diablo3. I love playing with people than you know solo-ing lol. Another thing which i really wish for them to improve is teh camera zoom, it seems kinda too zoomed in whereas in tl2, the camera is just perfect.

Overall, i dont really find the skill system complex, i loved it, i guess different stuffs for different people lol.

Hey I saw you in game today! Happy hunting!!!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I've been hyping this game and it has no relation to D3 being sucky. I played D3 for like 4 hours I have no comment on it I just didnt buy it. Im not a typical ARPG fan as stated.

People are hyping this game because they are playing and enjoying it! This is nto some unreleased game. Many of us have been playing for 4+ months and are just interested in playing with more people. So many of us wander around looking for soemthing that makes our gaming life exciting. This is doing that for a lot of people from a new company that truly loves making this style of game.

Peace and Love.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Have you tried looking at the notice boards in PoE? It's kind of like the hot join feature. You can see all public groups from the notice boards and then just join up.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

stopped reading when you said Baldurs Gate is an ARPG, wtf.

Read abit about game genres before you comment anything.

Originally posted by Niburu

You might want to take your own advice. If you checked Wikipedia for "Action RPG" you would have seen:

"Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPGaction/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games."

Baldur's Gate is even listed on the page. :) Guess I can keep posting, huh!

Moo

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320

You might want to take your own advice. If you checked Wikipedia for "Action RPG" you would have seen:

"Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPGaction/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games."

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I passed on this game long ago... I see no point playing "ARPG" with poor visuals and PoA graphics is 15 years behind.

Originally posted by reploidx

i think i dont need to add anything about definition of genres

Originally posted by reploidx

i think i dont need to add anything about definition of genres

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath were some of the most polished single player ARPGs I ever played. Loved all of the various sequels. They fit the definition of the genre perfectly. Instead of just commenting about how you are right and everyone else is not, why not take a moment and explain to us what genre you feel they belong in.

Moo

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I passed on this game long ago... I see no point playing "ARPG" with poor visuals and PoA graphics is 15 years behind.

Lol.. Do you even know what graphics looked like 15 years ago?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Lol.. Do you even know what graphics looked like 15 years ago?

They were something like this right?

or -- since someone mentioned it -- something like this?

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath were some of the most polished single player ARPGs I ever played. Loved all of the various sequels. They fit the definition of the genre perfectly. Instead of just commenting about how you are right and everyone else is not, why not take a moment and explain to us what genre you feel they belong in.

Nice try but you said Baldurs Gate and this is a RPG for PC released on 21. December 1998.

Nice try but you said Baldurs Gate and this is a RPG for PC released on 21. December 1998.

Lol "nice try", as if I'm trying to trick someone or as if it's a total coincidence that the Baldur's Gate ARPGs exist. Those are the ones I own and meant from the beginning. Okay, I could have specified that. I am okay with it if you can't accept that.  Reminding myself not to feed the trolls & fanbois now.

My point remains, THIS game, Path of Exile, is an ARPG that is not executed very well.

Moo

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Not that I approve of his rudeness, but Baldur's Gate and its ilk are pretty much turn-based RPG's with a bit more freedom of movement. Yes, you can move your characters in real-time, but combat still comes down to turns. I did greatly enjoy them, but as far as people referring to ARPG's nowadays, I would not include those in the general definition. I'd consider the genre to be cRPG (as listed on the game's website).

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Lol "nice try", as if I'm trying to trick someone or as if it's a total coincidence that the Baldur's Gate ARPGs exist. Those are the ones I own and meant from the beginning. Okay, I could have specified that. I am okay with it if you can't accept that.  Reminding myself not to feed the trolls & fanbois now.

My point remains, THIS game, Path of Exile, is an ARPG that is not executed very well.

You are still comparing apples and oranges. It doesn't matter how you call the genre - ARPG, hack'n'slash or Diablo-like. We are talking about the type of games being produced after Diablo I such as Sacred 1 + 2, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege (Diablo II being the uncrowned king) that all scratch the same itch and have a loyal gamer following - but which are also totally different from games like BG or Planescape: Torment. 

PoE came from people who played and loved Diablo II to death and couldn't find a game that played similary, was equally or more complex and was built using modern tech. So they made their own. This is also the reason why many hardcore Diablo II vets are so raving about PoE - Diablo III just strayed too far from the Diablo-like formula for many of them.

You may not like the repetitive grinding gameplay of the Diablo-likes and thats fine, just understand that for some people a game like this after the Diablo III dissapointment is like mana from heaven.

(http://www.squidoo.com/games-like-diablo)

(http://www.alteredgamer.com/diablo/125780-best-clones-series/)

Originally posted by n00bit

Not that I approve of his rudeness, but Baldur's Gate and its ilk are pretty much turn-based RPG's with a bit more freedom of movement. Yes, you can move your characters in real-time, but combat still comes down to turns. I did greatly enjoy them, but as far as people referring to ARPG's nowadays, I would not include those in the general definition. I'd consider the genre to be cRPG (as listed on the game's website).

Thanks for the civil response!  I do realize now that I should have specified that I was referring to the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath variants, which are a series of (at least) four ARPGs from the 2000s for ps2.

Moo

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You and others are mistaking Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance for Baldurs Gate. 

Dark Alliance was a gauntlet style APRG released for the PS2 in 2001. Its not like the Baldurs Gate RPG's, its a different style of game all together.