Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not miss out on this game.

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

HAHA i love you guys! Enjoy the game! One thing to note: this game gets better the higher you level. You will become oh so powerful and feel oh so special :D

Im not a fanboi. IM A SUPER FANBOI ROAR!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

HAHA i love you guys! Enjoy the game! One thing to note: this game gets better the higher you level. You will become oh so powerful and feel oh so special :D

That's not fair.  Everyone knows that making fun of someone who admits to that very thing before he can be made fun of just ins't...fun.  Hope the game grabs me by the short and curlies like it has you.  Might be done downloading by Friday - see you then...

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i hate you guys lol.. I think i have officially outgrown arpgs

It's all good :) We all have different taste's,for me I never really got into the arpg's until the last few year's.I started with plain rpg's and rts,then moved to mostly mmo's the last 10 or so year's.All of a sudden the last few year's the twitch,twitch,click,click has kinda got my attention.

I'm getting older...maybe it's my nerve's lol!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i hate you guys lol.. I think i have officially outgrown arpgs

It's all good :) We all have different taste's,for me I never really got into the arpg's until the last few year's.I started with plain rpg's and rts,then moved to mostly mmo's the last 10 or so year's.All of a sudden the last few year's the twitch,twitch,click,click has kinda got my attention.

I'm getting older...maybe it's my nerve's lol!

yea i played them for years when i was younger.. countless hours into the first two diablos,  dungeon seige,  and titans quest but now just lost all the flavor i guess.. oh well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

That's not fair.  Everyone knows that making fun of someone who admits to that very thing before he can be made fun of just ins't...fun.  Hope the game grabs me by the short and curlies like it has you.  Might be done downloading by Friday - see you then...

See you then!

Feel free to add KittyEvermore to your friends list everyone! Peace and Love!

Hero Evermore

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142

I'm not sure why this or Diablo/Torchlight are called Action RPG. Point and click movement is for point and click adventure games, not for action games. This is made for people who have trouble moving with the keyboard while aiming and chaining skills (TERA, RaiderZ), not your most skilled crowd. An action game is supposed to require skills. Spiral Knights is a better example of an action game with a top down view.

It is however, strangely addictive, but I wonder how long will it last.

So addictive..I quit crack before i ever smoked crack. Thats how addictive PoE is!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/72094

Hero Evermore

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by patlefort

I'm not sure why this or Diablo/Torchlight are called Action RPG. Point and click movement is for point and click adventure games, not for action games. This is made for people who have trouble moving with the keyboard while aiming and chaining skills (TERA, RaiderZ), not your most skilled crowd. An action game is supposed to require skills. Spiral Knights is a better example of an action game with a top down view.

They're called Action RPGs because they eschew a lot of typical RPG parts (such as intricate dialogue or a lot of story), and focus on the more action-oriented parts such as combat. Point&Click is not necessarily a sign of an ARPG (see Baldur's Gate), but can be. Hell, a lot of people call Mass Effect an ARPG because player skill does play a major role (even though it does have a lot of dialogue and story).

I think of games like Path Of Exile as Iso-ARPGs. And I like them precisely because of their way to play, it's strangely relaxing and taxing at the same time. Easier than, say, Quake-likes to watch a film to.

Though the OB really hasn't made PoE any easier. I'm playing a HC staff witch (melee), and my health goes up and down at times like a ship in a brutal storm. In Act I Normal.

Haha yeah witcher is rough in HC for sure! Especially cause i refuse to pick defensive skills even though i should in the early stages lol! Im playing a dual wand firestorm/fireball build. Even used my 10$ from CB to get the skill effects for them both! which was exactly the price yay! Nothing like shooting dragons instead of normal fireballs lol! the firestorm graphic is meh but i figured id get it anyway cause its my main attack in the game. I have been farming the very early stage with the nests the entire time in HC so far. Level 9 from that area. I have got 2 oranges so far just farming that 1 boss on repeat. SO FUN even when im not progressing! Loot is so cool again! It's like the first purple i got in WoW. It made me so happy. Now i have that feeling all over again and im only lvl 9 so far in OB lol!!!! /obsessed

Hero Evermore

• stori11stori11 Member Posts: 26
    Someone please tell me that this is in fact the diablo 3 we never got. Like you know, diablo 3, not that shitty boring candy game that blizz calls diablo 3. I mean diablo 3 is just inferior to every arpg ever made.
    Originally posted by stori11
    Someone please tell me that this is in fact the diablo 3 we never got. Like you know, diablo 3, not that shitty boring candy game that blizz calls diablo 3. I mean diablo 3 is just inferior to every arpg ever made.

This is the one :D

Personally I have put more hours into this game then I did d1 or d2 combined already lol. (didnt buy d3, i r smart)

Hero Evermore

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Action games are all the platform games, that's how they were always called. Aiming games are called fps or tps. That's the way it is, whatever it make sense or not to you, it is due to historical development of gaming and it made sense if you know a bit of it. Platform games are made to develop reflex and brain hand coordination, that's why they are called "action" games. Tps games aren't action games. Tera was called action games because of the combo action games developed as a feature, not because it was fps/tps hybrid like many people think.

Originally posted by Mueslinator

They're called Action RPGs because they eschew a lot of typical RPG parts (such as intricate dialogue or a lot of story), and focus on the more action-oriented parts such as combat. Point&Click is not necessarily a sign of an ARPG (see Baldur's Gate), but can be. Hell, a lot of people call Mass Effect an ARPG because player skill does play a major role (even though it does have a lot of dialogue and story).

I think of games like Path Of Exile as Iso-ARPGs. And I like them precisely because of their way to play, it's strangely relaxing and taxing at the same time. Easier than, say, Quake-likes to watch a film to.

Though the OB really hasn't made PoE any easier. I'm playing a HC staff witch (melee), and my health goes up and down at times like a ship in a brutal storm. In Act I Normal.

Well for me an action rpg is more like the games I mentioned. Point and click movement just makes things harder in trying to make it easy for the casuals, why can't they just let me move with keyboard keys while I can aim my skills, just like spiral knights? It's just more tedious mouse clicking. It look easy but not when you need to dodge stuff or kite stuff. Difficulty due to controls is always bad, the same way of bad camera.

Like I said it's fun and addictive for a while but I'm sure I'll get tired soon because of the click click click that I did in Diablo 1 and quitted half way in Diablo 2. Same thing goes for most moba games, except for SMITE.

This game cannot be mentioned as a mere ARPG or RPG or point and click or whatever you want to call it.

The truth is:

This is PATH OF EXILE!

It is beyond the simple lingo of mere mortals! Do not make me shoot dragon fireballs out my arse! Cause I can and I will! ;)

Hero Evermore

Originally posted by Requiamer

Action games are all the platform games, that's how they were always called. Aiming games are called fps or tps. That's the way it is, whatever it make sense or not to you, it is due to historical development of gaming and it made sense if you know a bit of it. Platform games are made to develop reflex and brain hand coordination, that's why they are called "action" games. Tps games aren't action games. Tera was called action games because of the combo action games developed as a feature, not because it was fps/tps hybrid like many people think.

That post didn't made much sense. I'm not arguing that platform games aren't action games. Action is a very generic term that can be applied to any game that require the player to have coordination and reflexes. I don't really care how games were marketed or called historically. I'm just saying that this game as well as all the diablo like games require little of both, at least compared to many other games and calling it action is stretching it a bit.

I see it as more of a tactical type gameplay. Character placement and avoidance is very key in this game. Though i guess that makes it action also. I just posted that cause im a goofball and i enjoy my own twacked sense of humor. Peace and Love.

Hero Evermore

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Yeah its a great game.

I totally feel back to my beloved Amiga, i had great times with Diabolo on that.

Now, PoE feels like a modern version of that.

Over that, it runs excellent on Linux ^^

Originally posted by rawfox

Yeah its a great game.

I totally feel back to my beloved Amiga, i had great times with Diabolo on that.

Now, PoE feels like a modern version of that.

Over that, it runs excellent on Linux ^^

Glad it runs on your OS!!!! That is probably going to make a lot of people happy! Maybe you should make a post stating that this game runs on linux. Im sure people who run linux only will be very very pleased!

Hero Evermore

Whoa 3k views! Thanks for taking a look at the topic peeps! Hope many people found true love for a game again like I have. I know its rare to find it but man its great when its there for the taking!!!!

Hero Evermore

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Mueslinator

Well for me an action rpg is more like the games I mentioned. Point and click movement just makes things harder in trying to make it easy for the casuals, why can't they just let me move with keyboard keys while I can aim my skills, just like spiral knights? It's just more tedious mouse clicking. It look easy but not when you need to dodge stuff or kite stuff. Difficulty due to controls is always bad, the same way of bad camera.

Like I said it's fun and addictive for a while but I'm sure I'll get tired soon because of the click click click that I did in Diablo 1 and quitted half way in Diablo 2. Same thing goes for most moba games, except for SMITE.

RTS's often use point and click

MMORPG's can often use point and click

Point and click in itself is not reserved for any particular genre and to try indicate that it should be is asinine. The method of movement in Path of Exile and similar titles is perfectly fine, It's more akin to an analogue movement system like the ps3/xbox controllers and allows for many fine adjustments in movement to be performed extremely quickly in comparison to using keystrokes (using keystrokes for skills makes this a bigger issue as well).

The term 'action' in this case simply implies that the pace of the game is going to be quite fast and that you aren't going for a nice leisurely stroll in a park, i don't see the issue with that.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    The game is decent, yes, just decent.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Zezda
    The method of movement in Path of Exile and similar titles is perfectly fine, It's more akin to an analogue movement system like the ps3/xbox controllers and allows for many fine adjustments in movement to be performed extremely quickly in comparison to using keystrokes (using keystrokes for skills makes this a bigger issue as well).

Well that's totally wrong, because you can't aim your skills while moving and I have no trouble moving around with the keyboard. I have no trouble using a dozen skills while doing that either.

RTS and mmorpg can use point and click because they aren't always action games.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96

Honestly this game seems pretty pointless after finishing Act 1 and trying out PvP I got bored quickly. The thing is PvP currently offers no risk and reward so apart from pointless battles it gives me no sense of accomplishment or anything really. Until they introduce cutthroat I don't really see the point of the game. You pretty much just farm loot for non-player related things, like killing more powerful monsters. 

If this is the case its pretty much a singleplayer ARPG with coop and chat. While that is also fine I believe Dark Souls did it so much better. The 3rd person cinematic experience it way more fluid plus its basically the same thing with bigger monsters. 

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by stori11

Yes, this game is pretty much what D3 should have been. 

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

Honestly this game seems pretty pointless after finishing Act 1 and trying out PvP I got bored quickly. The thing is PvP currently offers no risk and reward so apart from pointless battles it gives me no sense of accomplishment or anything really. Until they introduce cutthroat I don't really see the point of the game. You pretty much just farm loot for non-player related things, like killing more powerful monsters. 

If this is the case its pretty much a singleplayer ARPG with coop and chat. While that is also fine I believe Dark Souls did it so much better. The 3rd person cinematic experience it way more fluid plus its basically the same thing with bigger monsters. 

they run regular leagues in which you can participate, yeah and later on cuthroat.

Just saw it, PvP is available when you reach act 2