Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we really need races?

Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Seems it great fashion for latest game design to bring several races, more or less pretty or ugly.

To be honest, I would prefer to have better designed factions for PvP or correct class balance.

Even more classes will bring more fun then 5-6 races.

Not sure what you guys thinking about, but I don't even know how to get hypo about small shhhh like gnome, dwarf etc to be your avatar. =XD

May be we should have only 2 races: pretty and ugly? or even just one?

I don't talk about NPC, I don't care what race they are.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

And just which race should all avatars be? How restrictive should that race's individual appearance be? Should they all be one gender? One color?  One height? One age? One weight?

How boring do you want avatars to be?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I like having a lot of races. And when a game doesn't have them, or has too few of them, it's usually a problem for me.

See The Secret World. It's takes place in the modern world, so you only have humans. I do like the game, but the mere fact that I am limited to humans (as opposed to, ehm), just keeps bugging me.

Even in a game like GW2, I don't feel I have enough options. I guess I'm not comfortable with less than eight. That's probably why I loved Vanguard - a lot of races.

I like both the lore behind the races and the visual options they bring in. And I usually try each of them. It makes the game feel richer to me.

Now that I think of it, I care much more about races and lore than I do about class balance. :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    I like having many races, and not just cross copies like Rift does.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I like having many races, and not just cross copies like Rift does.

...and SWTOR

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    How do you figure you'd get better pvp or classes if you took out the races ?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If a creator like in CO and CoX was put into a fantasy MMO we'd be able to create our own races.. that'd be interesting.

But, yes, we need races. Races are a requirement of lore and story in fantasy. The storylines of almost all fantasy stories, games or otherwise, is almost always largely centered around racial conflicts. Monsters themselves are races.

How good would the film Alien have been if the alien looked and acted just like a human? Would LotR have been half as interesting if it was just humans vs humans while a fellowship of humans had to take a ring to mordor where there were more humans? There's a reason why people that havn't read the books know little about the Easterlings (the Men who fought in the armies of Morgoth and Sauron, especially the Battle of the Pelennor).. because it's just not as interesting.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Seems it great fashion for latest game design to bring several races, more or less pretty or ugly.

To be honest, I would prefer to have better designed factions for PvP or correct class balance.

Not sure what you guys thinking about, but I don't even know how to get hypo about small shhhh like gnome, dwarf etc to be your avatar. =XD

If you're going to throw out races, then you might as well throw out classes and factions. If devs focused more on gameplay rather than made up factions, races and classes wouldn't it be even better?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22

In most cases I wish there were more races. It still would be a pretty stale environment seeing just one or even just

two player races.  So yeah, we really do need races. Considering that if it were severely restricted, someone would be

making the choice of what that one race would be. How could a majority of people agree on that?

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I personally like a lot of races to choose from also.
  • Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Races help add diversity to the game for those who enjoy the aesthetics of games. Some MMOs do it, some don't. It's not required and it certainly isn't forbidden.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

It depends on the game if races are needed or not.

If you look at APB having only human characters is fine for the setting and the variety from the custom clothes designer is unrivaled in pretty much any other MMO. So no, races are not an absolute must.

However, you can't make a fantasy game and not have a few races like elves and dwarves. Not having races in LoTRO would ruin the setting.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

OP more races are better simply put. It adds variety. style andeven depth of gameplay if the races have varying attributes.

Would games like EQ, skyrim or many others be even half as decent if they all forced you to be the same boring human race

Character, or even if you had a ugly and pretty race?

Sure some people like things "simpler" we all have our opinions. personally I think enough MMo's already suffer from dumbing down for casual/simplicity sake. yes it makes things easier for the Developers to limite players choices but it doesn't bring anything to the game. Don't think for a instant you will ever get "correct class balance" as long as you have 20 devs/playtestersprogramers testing classes for balance vs 200k+ players testing for ways to get the most out of their class, and in the end why should all classes be percfectly balanced doesn't that in it self add a dull layer of sameness to the game?

taking away races does not mean your gonna get more or better factions. if a Developer is gonna do a good job they will do it irregardless, otherwise its just removing things for the sake of making the game eaiser to make.

If games like DAoC put out over 10 years ago could handle multiple factions, and races why with the increase in technology should we expect so much less from developers today? Mihtas well argue do we really need classes since they will never be balanced might as well just remove them so you can have more and better factions right? Then of course the factions will be unbalanced and you have to remove them as well. eventually you can have fun playing a 1 race, 1 class 1 faction game thats super easy to balance and develope. Yay that!

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

No we dont, or classes or a variety of spells, or complex crafting.  We just need hit boxes and PvP. Is this a serious post?  You actually dont even need to get out of bed in the morning if you dont want to.  Things tend to get really complicated when you do.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    So long as it suits the lore it doesnt matter to me really.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I think TSW may be the only game (that I am aware of ) that has only one race to play:  present-day human.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I like lot's of varied races. Not my #1 deciding factor for a game, but still fairly important..
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    My idea is to have an art program as the char creation and we da people truly create our chars from scratch.  

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think one driving factor of races is character customization in terms of stats.  This works well in games where character balance isn't a big deal.  My guess is that in PVP games where everyone is supposed to be equally effective in combat, it would be a big negative.

When they get into classes are locked into a specific race, then that blows the diversity for me.  If I have to play an Orc in order to be a warrior, that's not much of a choice.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Different races should definitely limit your choices for classes to some degree.
  • LuckshmiLuckshmi Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

If you're going to throw out races, then you might as well throw out classes and factions. If devs focused more on gameplay rather than made up factions, races and classes wouldn't it be even better?

i have to agree with this one, I would like to see something *limitless*

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

No we don't need races.  There is an MMO after all where you aren't a race, you are a machine - Perpetuum.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I would argue no - many very good fantasy and scifi stories have only human 'player' characters.

The extra effort that goes into resizing and refitting gear for the various races in a normal game could instead go into creating more variety of gear - cultural etc. variance which would enrich the game just as much.

Just my two-pence on the subject, and a very subjective subject it is...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I would argue no - many very good fantasy and scifi stories have only human 'player' characters.

The extra effort that goes into resizing and refitting gear for the various races in a normal game could instead go into creating more variety of gear - cultural etc. variance which would enrich the game just as much.

Just my two-pence on the subject, and a very subjective subject it is...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Yes.. i like as many races as one can get, and they should have racial bonuses too similar to EQ...  I hate homogenized classes, and equally hate homogenized races too..  I want my Elf to see in the dark and dammit.. I want that feature back in the game too.. If you are in the middle of a cave as a human with no light sourse, guess what?  Exactly!!!

Yes, Ogre's should be bigger and carry more weight.. And what happen to the days that strength actually meant something besides warrior combat bonus?  Games today have become so carebear arcade I can just scream..