Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like the combining of EVE and Dust 514?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Simple pole to see if you think this is going to be a good idea for either fans of EVE and or Dust.

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I think it's a really interesting idea. You can say what you like about CCP, but they're doing the one thing that everyone says they want, and trying something original and new.

Will Dust work out? I don't know. If it fails, it won't take EVE down with it, so it's a no-lose experiment from my point of view. If it succeeds, then we'll have a genuinely new type of gaming experience available to us, and I'll bet that other game publishers will hasten to copy it.

As such Dust represents a potential answer to the question of how to combine different playstyles into a single game. "Hardcore" and "casual" have differing priorities, and it's tough to accomodate one without compromising the other. Seperating out the "casuals" into a console game that still links in to the original game means that you can keep EVE as hardcore and long-term and meta-gamey as ever, but you can still get your buddy who just wants to fire up a game and have some quick, accessible action involved with your game experience.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I don't care much for Dust nor the features that brings to EVE, but it's original nontheless. It ads a new dimension to the game and I bet quite some people will be happy enought with it.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's a good idea, but on totally wrong platform. It should be on PC. CCP is nuts for thinking the net effect on a PC version would be less money for them. People who love EVE would still play EVE. People who love FPS games would play DUST. People who love both (like me) would probably play both.

Frankly, the guy at CCP who figured that there are a lot of people who play EVE because of the lore, but would rather play an FPS, should be fired.

Originally posted by tom_gore

It's a good idea, but on totally wrong platform. It should be on PC. CCP is nuts for thinking the net effect on a PC version would be less money for them. People who love EVE would still play EVE. People who love FPS games would play DUST. People who love both (like me) would probably play both.

Frankly, the guy at CCP who figured that there are a lot of people who play EVE because of the lore, but would rather play an FPS, should be fired.

You're aware that Dust was substantially paid for by development money from Sony, right? That money buys them a PS3 exclusive launch, which means it's only available on the PS3 when it launches, and then for 12 months after. On the 366th day, CCP are free to launch it on other platforms, and I'm betting that they will release it on the PC.

Originally posted by Malcanis

You're aware that Dust was substantially paid for by development money from Sony, right? That money buys them a PS3 exclusive launch, which means it's only available on the PS3 when it launches, and then for 12 months after. On the 366th day, CCP are free to launch it on other platforms, and I'm betting that they will release it on the PC.

Yes I'm aware of that and it's still effectively taking a piss on your most important customerbase. CCP are good at that, though.

In 12 months most of the players on PS3 have long forgotten about DUST. Very few shooters on consoles have a long lifespan.

double post, MMORPG playing tricks with me

Yes I'm aware of that and it's still effectively taking a piss on your most important customerbase. CCP are good at that, though.

In 12 months most of the players on PS3 have long forgotten about DUST. Very few shooters on consoles have a long lifespan.

CCP have every right to diversify their product range and expand their customer base. It would be criminally irresponsible of them not to do so.

You're making assumptions about PS3 players, but until now, what choice have they had but to play short lifespan shooters? There haven't been any shooters that supported a long-lifespan model. Dust has long term character advancement, long term persistence, long term metagaming, and a long term development plan. Maybe there's no call for such a thing, or maybe there's untapped demand. Since Dust is F2P, there's no cost overhead of maintaining an account, continuing to accumulate SP at the background rate, and coming back to it whenever you fancy doing so.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I'm betting that dust will have failed so bad by that time it will be all but forgotten. there are better shooters out there. Most eve players are not exactly the shooter crowd, and most of the shooter crowd could care less about having a limited interaction with Eve.

I'm not au fait with the "shooter crowd", but plenty of EVE players seem to be quite interested in Dust.

Interested enough to put lots of energy into ceaselessly whining that it's not on the PC, anyway ;)

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Only thing tha worries me is now Sony will have its greedy little hands in the EVE universe and for some reason SWTOR keeps coming to mind. I hope not.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Only thing tha worries me is now Sony will have its greedy little hands in the EVE universe and for some reason SWTOR keeps coming to mind. I hope not.

EA made SWTOR, Sony did SWG.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Its ana amzing concept and I hope it does amazingly aswell.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    It's a good idea.  Too bad I couldn't care less about shooters.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I really like their vision, and it opens up the universe of New Eden even more.

For the PS3-debate...

The PS3 unifies the hardware and it drastically reduces hackin and cheating. That's exactly what's needed in a competitive MMO-FPS. Additionally Dust514 has native USB-keyboard and mouse-support :hint:

With the current retail-price of $200 it's actually a nobrainer to buy yourself a PS3 as a HTPC. It has all the streaming-services like Hulu available, comes with a BluRay-player and you can aswell play alot of funny games with it. That's a dirt-cheap offer imho.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Yalexy

I really like their vision, and it opens up the universe of New Eden even more.

For the PS3-debate...

The PS3 unifies the hardware and it drastically reduces hackin and cheating. That's exactly what's needed in a competitive MMO-FPS. Additionally Dust514 has native USB-keyboard and mouse-support :hint:

With the current retail-price of $200 it's actually a nobrainer to buy yourself a PS3 as a HTPC. It has all the streaming-services like Hulu available, comes with a BluRay-player and you can aswell play alot of funny games with it. That's a dirt-cheap offer imho.

Sony actually invested $$$ for CCP to make DUST 514.

It is a pure business transaction why DUST 514 is on PS3 (and most likely PS4) and I wouldn't expect a non-PS version anytime soon.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by winter

I'm betting that dust will have failed so bad by that time it will be all but forgotten. there are better shooters out there. Most eve players are not exactly the shooter crowd, and most of the shooter crowd could care less about having a limited interaction with Eve.

I am betting you are dead wrong.  I think they have a potential hit on thier hands here.

It plays very well even if you have zero EVE knowledge and just wanna pop heads. That there is a depth to discover too is just an added bonus. A free, good fps on the PS3? I think it will have a following, a potential large oe at that.

Lets meet here again in 365 days and see who was right. :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

think it is interesting but am curious how CCP think they are gonna get players -non-eve players-  (and keep them) to play this sci-fi shooter above the regular shooters that top the charts for years.

Should that game fail after a while, is it easy to detach that Dust thing from the space game...

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by winter

I am betting you are dead wrong.  I think they have a potential hit on thier hands here.

It plays very well even if you have zero EVE knowledge and just wanna pop heads. That there is a depth to discover too is just an added bonus. A free, good fps on the PS3? I think it will have a following, a potential large oe at that.

Lets meet here again in 365 days and see who was right. :)

As an Xbox 360 owner, I see your point.  If this were released on Microsoft's console instead of Sony's, then it could have been lost in a sea of shooters, instead of standing out with an especially tempting price tag.

Also, there were rumblings that Microsoft didn't want to allow the kind of network access and update frequency that CCP needed for this to function.  Sony allowed CCP's shooter to connect to the non-Sony EVE servers, a requirement for this title, that Microsoft was unwilling to provide.

Also, there is a bundle with goodies for DUST 514 with new PS3 consoles.

There are better shooters out there perhaps, but they are on PC and Xbox 360 mostly :)

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Muke

think it is interesting but am curious how CCP think they are gonna get players -non-eve players-  (and keep them) to play this sci-fi shooter above the regular shooters that top the charts for years.

Should that game fail after a while, is it easy to detach that Dust thing from the space game...

It has been clearly stated with CCP examples that both games can operate completely independant of each other.

Also, maybe the price tag of zero dollars and the inclusion of extras with new PS3 consoles could help.  Also, it's a shooter with incredible depth and customization.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I don't like EvE at all, but i think it's a very tough move and few studios have the balls to try something like this. Thinking about it, in fact no other studio comes to my mind.

I doubt though that the Ps3/shooter-kiddies do have the slightest idea about EvE or pay too much attention to how Dust relates to EvE, but will rather play it as your everday standard shooter.

I'm afraid both games are way too different to get their respective crowds to work together longterm.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Muke

I would think revenge will play a part in retention, lets face it some EvE faction will double cross a Dust corp and earn their undying enmity, people will stick around to screw their enemies in a big universe.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I vote no... normally I would think adding some other element to a game would be interesting/good, but to be blunt I don't think it will be helpful to eve, considering the type who typically play Eve. 
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

DUST should have been built into Eve to form 1 game - e.g. pod pilots should be controlling mechs on the battlefield.

It's better to make 1 outstanding (and newsworthy game - like WoW) than 2 OK ones that the mainstream press ignore.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

DUST should have been built into Eve to form 1 game - e.g. pod pilots should be controlling mechs on the battlefield.

It's better to make 1 outstanding (and newsworthy game - like WoW) than 2 OK ones that the mainstream press ignore.

so in other words, Eve should still be in alpha testing right now while they wait on Dust to be finished?

they should not have been growing a pool of subscribers for the past X years?

even if you thought something like that ......

it is extremely unlikely Sony would have ever given them money to make DUST,

without CCP  having had this track record of having a successful & growing MMO for the past X years.

also.... as many people have expressed, the fanbases between the 2 games may have very little overlap.  so tying their fates together (into "one game") seems........

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I don't play EvE and I would never play a FPS game on console. With that said though, it's different so I like it. If Dust was on PC I would give it a try if there was a demo/beta, since I really like PC FPS games.