Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swg..

StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79

I miss alot of things from SWG, it was probably my favrite MMO  I had played... havnt found a substitue yet...

1. I miss the Citys... The player citys, How you could find them on almost any planet, and go into almost any building.

2.I miss Space. Even thought i personally didnt do much space combat, i still miss it, just because i havnt seen anything like it yet. being free roam, yet beign able to hop outa youyr seat and decorate your ship( some of them anyway.) it was jsut perfect.

3. Agian, housing, i miss sitting for hours trying to make my multiple houses look perfect, then comign in a week later, and changing everything agian. It was probably whati enjoyed most in the game.

4. Also, I miss hopping on my speed, and just driving through the player citys, and stopping at every vendor i saw on my map, just to look and see what they had.

5. As the population wound down, I miss just sitting the whole day in mos eisley talking to people. Eventually you knew everyone that spent time there, and everyone was always there, chatting it up. I know, for some people that is boring, but i loved it.

6. I even miss hte crafting. Ever since i played SWG, i have tried crafting in every game i have gone to, and SWG by far had the best crafting/collection system that i have tried. in my opinion anyway, I loved it.

7. Classes. I miss the classes so much, i know, they wherent that amazing, but just being able to switch them whenever i watned for a small fee?( though i had gotten it pretty high over hte years) one week I would be a smuggler, the next,  Maybe i felt like hunting down some bountys, so i could switch, It was amazing.

Im sure there is more, it was my favrite game, and I miss it with every game that comes out. I know it wasnt the game for everyone, but for me,  it was perfect.

Comments

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    also defentally didnt mean to make a new thread....was trying to reply...heh..

• PermadudePermadude Member Posts: 16

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Never going to happen in another AAA MMO. The genre doesn't really exist any more anyways, all the new games aren't massive, they're all small scale and instanced. 

I just miss the game design of having lots of small mechanics that make an overall game. Like you'd have minor things such as 5 and 10 min waits for the shuttles and they would then become these social waiting points people would duel and have a laugh but also impact PVP. I miss decay that would give crafters constant work and I miss death pens that would tie into the profession system and make it even more social. 

There were just thousands of little things that made this virtual world come alive. Sadly these things got removed each patch as people moaned and moaned the game was hard. Everything looked like it was going down this dumbed down casual route after WoW and the current gen of consoles.

Thank Fuck Dayz happened to prove people still want a hard game and perma death.

• KerosienKerosien Member UncommonPosts: 56
    i know what you mean i miss everything about SWG Pre-NGE i had a master pikeman, Swordsman and a almost master teris kasi artis all on one toon and you cant do that in many games any more
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Never played SWG but i hear The Repopulation is very similar to it.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    It was a great game. May it rest in peace.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

never played it, feel very sad now....

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

never played it, feel very sad now....

You wouldn't have liked it. There were about 15 different races.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Kanester
    Never played SWG but i hear The Repopulation is very similar to it.

Pretty close certainly taken inspiration from the genre and one of the longest ongoing posts on the official forums is a SWG-pre CU refugee thread I suppose that says a lot really.  image

p>
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

(mod edited)

You have the Repopulation as a spiritual successor, but to be blunt it will likely fail because it needs to be popular so it won't be as free as SWG pre-CU.

If you want a sandbox go with EVE-Online, the crafting may not be SWG level but everything else is by what I can see and no glow bats anywhere in sight.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Dihoru

If you want a sandbox go with EVE-Online, the crafting may not be SWG level but everything else is by what I can see and no glow bats anywhere in sight.

I think the commerce (not in terms of scale or epicness, but in terms of vendor diversity) and resource gathering is not quite SWG levels either.

One of the best fun thing for a crafter/trader in SWG is actually running a series of vendors and mines and actually having a nice shopfront for the customers.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    This is like breaking up wih your girlfriend you once loved. You all have to let it go. Yeah it's hard, but thinking about it only makes the pain worst. Move on. Leave that in the past.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I think the commerce (not in terms of scale or epicness, but in terms of vendor diversity) and resource gathering is not quite SWG levels either.

One of the best fun thing for a crafter/trader in SWG is actually running a series of vendors and mines and actually having a nice shopfront for the customers.

Mines/harvesting creatures/foraging -> Planetary Interaction/asteroid mining/ice harvesting/gas cloud harvesting/salvaging/deep space exploration

Vendors -> Buy/Sell Orders

Having a nice shop front -> Having a dedicated alt through which to run your dealings and keep everything safe from war decs

The depth is there and in some cases it outstrips SWG because with EVE you have to be more hands on than SWG, in SWG your vendors could do everything for you after you found a good space to plonk em down with good quality/price items whereas in EVE if you want to make it as an indy you need to train skills, forge connections to get resources you cannot obtain otherwise yourself at lower than market prices to give you a competitive edge, setup a pos to ensure you can crank out ships and items at a good speed close to a market hub, decide which area of the market you can carve a nieche for yourself in and where and establish your own economic empire. Do note this can apply to high sec, low sec and even 0.0, hell if CVA and friends manage to hold onto their space their NRDS policy and anti-pirating rules would give you a good space to start out your empire in should you be looking to go 0.0 and give you access to good quality planets to churn out commodities in massive amounts.

Hint: EVE-Online manages to burn people out, few MMOs ever can claim that (sure people might go insane due to it but burning out from the stress and time expended in game from having to balance profits with expenditures, cursing Jita 4-4 pirates when you need to run expensive stuff out and lack a proper ship,never do this btw,etc is far far rarer).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Stimz

I miss alot of things from SWG, it was probably my favrite MMO  I had played... havnt found a substitue yet...

1. I miss the Citys... The player citys, How you could find them on almost any planet, and go into almost any building.

These were awesome. I remember running behind Bestine and stumbling upon a level 4 city with statues and everything. Then a big title came up on screen saying "CITY OF AZURE" and the mayor was there to welcome me in. Thanks to him I ended up joining a quild and understanding the professions more.  That family of Twiliks was the biggest thing I missed when the NGE destroyed the game. 

2.I miss Space. Even thought i personally didnt do much space combat, i still miss it, just because i havnt seen anything like it yet. being free roam, yet beign able to hop outa youyr seat and decorate your ship( some of them anyway.) it was jsut perfect.

I didn't do it much either, but it was a REAL expansion to the game and a lot of players liked it. 

3. Agian, housing, i miss sitting for hours trying to make my multiple houses look perfect, then comign in a week later, and changing everything agian. It was probably whati enjoyed most in the game.

I didn't mess with this much, but I did appreciate a well built city.  You could tell by the various cities who the real building designers of the game were. Not only outside by inside. I'd see things displayed that I hadn't seen before. 

5. As the population wound down, I miss just sitting the whole day in mos eisley talking to people. Eventually you knew everyone that spent time there, and everyone was always there, chatting it up. I know, for some people that is boring, but i loved it.

6. I even miss hte crafting. Ever since i played SWG, i have tried crafting in every game i have gone to, and SWG by far had the best crafting/collection system that i have tried. in my opinion anyway, I loved it.

7. Classes. I miss the classes so much, i know, they wherent that amazing, but just being able to switch them whenever i watned for a small fee?( though i had gotten it pretty high over hte years) one week I would be a smuggler, the next,  Maybe i felt like hunting down some bountys, so i could switch, It was amazing.

The classes would have been better had SOE spent the time needed to fix them. It was a good design concept that wasn't allowed to flourish. 

Im sure there is more, it was my favrite game, and I miss it with every game that comes out. I know it wasnt the game for everyone, but for me,  it was perfect.

I miss Kashyyk. A lot of the old schoolers didn't like it because it was the first planet in game with instances and not being allowed to go where you want.  But I thought the planet was gorgeous and since it was the first real infusion of questing for the game I ate it up. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I miss Kashyyk. A lot of the old schoolers didn't like it because it was the first planet in game with instances and not being allowed to go where you want.  But I thought the planet was gorgeous and since it was the first real infusion of questing for the game I ate it up. 

Here here, I thought Kashyyyyyk was awesome. It was small, but it had a 'vibe' to it that was magnetic. 

The Necrosis run was also my intro to MMO instances and I enjoyed it immensly.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Too bad SOE didnt realize all the stuff thay had i mind; there are two more planets that were never developed content for as well as an area on Kashyykk that were never populated.

• Buffy_bitesBuffy_bites Member Posts: 7

I miss everything about SWG. Gone from playing a game day in day out, to a new one, once a week. Although I do have EQ2, that is my main MMO, but not as good as SWG was. SWG was a like a second real life, but set in the galaxy far far away.

Ironic really, as I bet SWG would be raking it in now for SOE and LA, if had not been shut down, as people seem to be tired of theme park games, and have a huge appetite for sandbox. Even Smed has recognised this, and going to be making the biggest sandbox MMO ever been, and I am totally excited. SWG may not be coming back exactly, as SOE is moving on but its features may be back in EQ next. I like EQ and I lked SWG, and I am counting down the days to EQ next releases. I can't wait.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Here here, I thought Kashyyyyyk was awesome. It was small, but it had a 'vibe' to it that was magnetic. 

Not to mention players that were rolling jedi loved it because there was that exploit on one of the thick limbs that you could run to and Bounty Hunters couldn't get line of sight on them. Once word of that spread, you would see dozens of jedi killing spawns in that area and then quickly running to that spot so they couldn't be targeted. Even if I didn't have a mark I used to love  just running there shouting KILL KILL KILL  at random times just to watch all those players stop what theiy're doing and sprint like crazy to that spot. I figured if I can't bounty hunt because of an exploit then I'm going to at least have some fun while spoiling they'res. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

I've finished my TKM/MFencer/Pistolsxx4x toon and it was a blast.

Grinding up another toon as we speak.

You can too.

The real SWG pre cu is out there. ;-)

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Not to mention players that were rolling jedi loved it because there was that exploit on one of the thick limbs that you could run to and Bounty Hunters couldn't get line of sight on them. Once word of that spread, you would see dozens of jedi killing spawns in that area and then quickly running to that spot so they couldn't be targeted. Even if I didn't have a mark I used to love  just running there shouting KILL KILL KILL  at random times just to watch all those players stop what theiy're doing and sprint like crazy to that spot. I figured if I can't bounty hunt because of an exploit then I'm going to at least have some fun while spoiling they'res. ;)

Ha ha! Never heard of that one (nor did I see the afformentioned tree limb), but I guess I was one of the very few who had no interest in jedi. 

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Ahh SWG...

Man, I've been burned one too many times in this genre.  I agree with everyone here that the early SWG was the best game.  It had its troubles, but I liked the game ... everything about the game.

Truly, there was no profession in the early SWG that I didn't like.  I liked the ranged combat.  I liked the melee combat.  I liked the crafting.  I liked creature handling.  I liked the entertainment.  I liked scouting.

And there were no systems I didn't dislike either.  I liked PvP and the TEF.  I liked space combat.

It doesn't mean there weren't things that got on my nerves.  I didn't like the comp wars too much.  Or the doctor buffs.  Or the AFK entertainment.  But I'd overlook all those bad things for all the good things I got in there.

Life after SWG went on.  The game I settled on was CoH/CoV.  It wasn't as good as SWG, but it was enough like SWG that it could serve as a reasonable substitute.  The crafting wasn't as good, but it had some crafting.  The housing wasn't as good, but it had some housing.  The emotes, dancing and animations weren't as lifelike, but it was almost as lifelike.  And then, that game got taken away from me too.

Man, what is it with these guys who take away my fun at every turn?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Amen to you OP!

If The Repopulation is even close to what SWG was, I'll be one happy man.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Well .. everyone thought they hated SOE with all their soul ... and then they met EA.

SOE runs circles around EA.  nonstop.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Mines/harvesting creatures/foraging -> Planetary Interaction/asteroid mining/ice harvesting/gas cloud harvesting/salvaging/deep space exploration

Vendors -> Buy/Sell Orders

Having a nice shop front -> Having a dedicated alt through which to run your dealings and keep everything safe from war decs

I miss logging in to find a bunch of mandalorian wine and bespin port orders in the mail. I loved that you could slap the orders in a backpack and put it on the vendor for the buyer, and he/she could pick it up at their convenience. And, you didn't have to worry about anyone ninja buying it because people respected/honored the other players.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

Amen to you OP!

If The Repopulation is even close to what SWG was, I'll be one happy man.

Nothing seen so far indicates that it will be, it may end up being a good enough game eventually, but, its not a game i'm looking at any more, and i've been searching for a SWG replacement for a long long time. image