Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pathfinder Online: A Sense of Pride

124»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Jesus!  Why must every new "sandbox" MMO be full loot pvp?  I think I'm going to start refering to these games as Ultima Online clones.

More like "limited looting"...

And IMHO and many other sandbox players... calling a game a UO clone would be considered a compliment!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I find it hard to get hyped about this, considering EQ: NEXT will probably launch before Pathfinder does.

I know 3 things about EQ:N -

1) Smedley called it: "Sandbox-Style"

2) It will use the same engine as PS2

3) It will most likely be F2P

-

It gets a lot of interest even with scant info. But I've seen the goblinworks design blogs and really like the approach to the game design. SOE just makes me a little wary being a large corporate monster: Can they afford to take risks with EQ:N.

So I'm taking a risk with PFO. image

Not only does the PS2 engine look good, but it's made for MMO's, unlike most of the others out there which are merely super modified single player engines.  Good luck getting this game out the door without them adding a F2P element before release.  It's a bandwagon that every developer appears to want on or can't avoid.  I'm one of those gamers that would love a good 'AAA' Sandpark, rather than a dyed in the wool sandbox.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i have yet to see a aaa title that delivers...most are simply to restricted by the need to appeal to everyone which basically makes them neither fish nor meat... i think every mmo player that has 35 bucks to spare should support this project as they are  bringing up a lot of good ideas that i think deserve a chance to be realised...and graphics can always be improved... but if the core gameplay is fun it is fun. look at darkfall - crappy graphics, loved by a lot of people and pathfinder does indeed have a loot of good ideas and solutions to common issues with mmos - i think the direction they are heading to does sound really great
  • JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

How can people not understand that this is the tech demo footage and does not represent ANY WHERE close to what the graphics will look like at release?

Did they not read/listen to a word that was said in the video/conversation/blogs?

Anyway, this is my frist kickstart, so good luck!

Read my post above and this is a common gamer mistake, people see certain words and flip out and make them selfs look foolish...This has annoyed me and they do it with every new game, funny how that is, and this is another reason alot of newer devs or vet devs will NOT make MMO's, I do alot of research and talk to alot of newer Devs, myself included, I went and got a degree because I wanted to make better Mmo's but listening to other devs and gamers, I no longer want to, because the way people act, there are smaller scale games that devs can make faster, make more money and less whining, and still have there passion.

I had written in the last 15 years 3 games, and they all where MMo scale, and I even did alot of work, worked with smaller teams, and I make them all smaller scale because after getting my education and the older I get, I see people really give devs no respect do why should we make you people games??? I will not kill myself to make a great game for people who give no respect, and when I say people , I mean the bad bunch because I know there are some great people that are gamers, but its sad how alot spoil it, and people complain we hardly see games made by gamers anymore, well this is why, according to alot of people that I have talked to that are becoming DEVS and have been, I been researching this for the past 10 years in school and out...They used to call me at school Mr. MMo because I knew alot and I was one of few that wanted to make them.

Now not so much because of what I see on these forums, why should I bother, i'm a part of a team that is making an MMo, can't say who because I get 100k emails, but I can tell you think you never know who is a dev and who reads what and why we do not see the games we all want... Alot of gamers try and make there own games and fail because realize WOW this is hard work and it is, when I see posts that say the devs such this is easy and that I laugh, and say well make it your self and try, because nothing is easy in Game Design/Production its hard work and a Real Career....

@Darkcrystal - I don't normally come into these convos other than voicing my own solo opinion about something because I don't like to pick people out, but I had to ask you. Why do you care in the first place? What your doing isn't like making a burger and serving it to someone. Nobody requested a game from you with extra cheese. You chose this field of work. You chose it because you enjoyed it, or maybe you thought you'd make big bucks off it. If you choose to go into a field of study that you enjoy you should enjoy it. People are always going to be assholes no matter the subject.

In all truth if I am working on a game I'm not giving a fark wether it's an MMO, single player, FPS, RTS, or whatever. The real question is. Are you enjoying the work? If not change styles or fields or whatever. Otherwise enjoy yourself and ignore the bitches. Making games is a dream field for some a job for others. If it's a job for you your in the wrong dream field. If your making something you can't enjoy playing why are you still making it thinking other people should be grateful. That's like someone making a really nice painting and thinking because they enjoyed making it and thinks it looks really good that everyone else should agree. If you want developer sympathy then you need to find a developer forum. Otherwise your throwing your understanding at people who will not understand your issues. 

I enjoy working where I work and that's why I stay with it. I get dumbasses stepping through the door every day talking noise and acting like I don't exist. It gets me down, but I love working with who I work with. Otherwise I'd be looking for another job quick.

Your not in service bud your in entertainment. Some people won't be entertained others will no matter the subject. The question is are you enjoying what your doing? If not then get the fark out.

I am grateful that people make games. I grew up playing games. I'd love to make games myself, but I wouldn't be making them because I think Joe Somebody will enjoy it or give me praise. I would make it because I enjoy them and seeing the people who do enjoy them play them. Otherwise it's like any other field. You have people who will not give a rats ass about something and those few who love it to death. Focus on the few and ignore the rest. The other option is to drive yourself nuts by reading what assholes write. Even if I didn't come off as an asshole I know I can be. 

I didn't want to start any argument and didn't put anything here to ignite your wrath. I simply don't understand why a person who is doing what many of us would love to do is bitching that other people aren't satisfied with stuff. Who gives a fuck your doing what you love or your not. If you want a pat on the back for your effort then find the few who will and ignore the rest. 

*pats on the back* That's not to be sarcastic either. That's an honest thing I would do, but you gotta lighten up or change it up. 

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• xeraxxerax Member UncommonPosts: 74

"Skill-Training Progression -> 2.5yrs to max level earliest in x1 role only; horizontal progress" :-  I dont like the sounds of this, one huge timesink if you ask me.  2.5 years of subcriptions to max level.

I dont want to play a game that forces you keep paying subcriptions to keep up with your friends because development is in real time. If i want to grind xp to catch up then i should be able too.

If non consensual pvp  / looting is allowed this could heavily discourage anyone from joining the game late as you will be owned by people who started early and no way to catch up?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by xerax

"Skill-Training Progression -> 2.5yrs to max level earliest in x1 role only; horizontal progress" :-  I dont like the sounds of this, one huge timesink if you ask me.  2.5 years of subcriptions to max level.

I dont want to play a game that forces you keep paying subcriptions to keep up with your friends because development is in real time. If i want to grind xp to catch up then i should be able too.

If non consensual pvp  / looting is allowed this could heavily discourage anyone from joining the game late as you will be owned by people who started early and no way to catch up?

All depends how they do skill progression.  You don't have that problem with Eve, you can be very competitive in a month or so.  My concern is if they allow ffa pvp everywhere it will just relegate this game to niche status.  You need pve areas too because no matter how hard you try, controlling ganking is almost impossible at this stage of MMO's.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by xerax

All depends how they do skill progression.  You don't have that problem with Eve, you can be very competitive in a month or so.  My concern is if they allow ffa pvp everywhere it will just relegate this game to niche status.  You need pve areas too because no matter how hard you try, controlling ganking is almost impossible at this stage of MMO's.

Controlling ganking is easy. Game companies are just askeered of the gankers to do what would have to be done (heavy stat loss).

Once upon a time....