Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pathfinder Online: A Sense of Pride

Comments

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Paizo is considered to be the number one selling Table Top publisher with Pathfinder RPG, Even out selling D&D RPG...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

To those complaining about the graphics and the tech demo (the pictures put on mmorpg.com).. here's the official statement by the pathfinder team.

Creator Goblinworks Inc. on November 27

@Helgi Freyr Rúnarsson - No, what you see in the Tech Demo video is simulated combat. It has no relation to what will be in the actual game. The main objective of the Tech Demo from an engineering standpoint was to enable us to demonstrate things like taking a 2D sketch all the way to an animated 3D character and to get a sense for how the various tools interact. It's mostly eye-candy, not game mechanics. :)

To those worried about FFA pvp.. being ganked and such. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo)

5. More Than A Gankfest- Unlike other Open World PVP MMO's currently on the market, Pathfinder Online actively discourages meaningless PVP. A meaningful alignment system that actually offers mechanical advantages to lawful and good aligned organizations, and a functional bounty system that allows the player to choose which players and organizations can collect the bounties they set discourages random and meaningless killing. Beyond this, the admins are taking a hard stance against 'griefing', in which players specifically seek to ruin the experience of other players, often through using game mechanics in ways that weren't intended. Griefing in PFO can be a bannable offence.

There will be meaningful objectives for both pvpers (territory aquisition) and pver's (meaningful crafting and their stated dynamic content.)  I keep on seeing repeats of the same statements.  To everyone their own but please don't spread disinformation.. of course this is the internets... :P 

We always say we want a AAA open world mmo but rarely have the abilitly to put our money towards something that will actually give us more than a tiny inexperienced team that brings out a game looking 10 years old at launch.  If you look at the dev bios there is some good experience here... it is a fair bet but a far better one than most we've seen the last ten years. So I put my money where my mouth is.  Will you?  Just my little challenge.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Are people still going on about graphics in video games? Who cares about graphics. Since when was graphics a defining role that made a MMORPG any good? It's about competant developers that know what they are doing, gameplay, mechanics, and content, among many other much more important things other than graphics. As far as the pledging money to the project, I think anyone pledging money to something they havin't even played yet is borderline stupid, but hey if you have the money and like throwing your money away go ahead, but please dont come back here posting a wall of text the size of china complaining that you got ripped off.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by trash656
    Are people still going on about graphics in video games? Who cares about graphics. Since when was graphics a defining role that made a MMORPG any good? It's about competant developers that know what they are doing, gameplay, mechanics, and content, among many other much more important things other than graphics. As far as the pledging money to the project, I think anyone pledging money to something they havin't even played yet is borderline stupid, but hey if you have the money and like throwing your money away go ahead, but please dont come back here posting a wall of text the size of china complaining that you got ripped off.

your the reason america games are the ugliest in the industry,

This game looks like another shitty ugly american game with crappy ass combat...  a 5 year old game out of korea looks 100x better.. western devs still haven't made anything like tera..

they are WAY behind, every mmo dies in the west

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by ricefarmer
    Originally posted by trash656

your the reason america games are the ugliest in the industry,

This game looks like another shitty ugly american game with crappy ass combat...  a 5 year old game out of korea looks 100x better.. western devs still haven't made anything like tera..

they are WAY behind, every mmo dies in the west

Your a Bigot, and your basing your opinions just on what you like, but not on facts. So here is some facts for you. Tera Online is going free to play in feburary because they want to bring more people to the game, it is also not a sandbox game it's a themepark action game. EvE online, Starwars Galaxies PRE NGE are sandbox Games. No Sandbox MMO in the history of gaming was made to be a great MMO based off graphics. Sandbox MMO's are not created for you Anime kids that like to go prancing around in pink Tu-Tu's in Hellokitty online in a instanced world were you are set on a treadmill of choices. Were you pick a class and level up.

Archeage is a Korean Sandbox MMO which is a descent looking game. I've beta tested it, and no one is playing it because of how nice the graphics are but because the amount of things you can do in it, Grow crops, build houses, build ships .ect .ect Next time do some reading and maybe base things on facts instead of what you think something should be, because your just going to look like a jackass in front of everyone here, as I know most people here are sandbox gamers. I even find your name slitly offensive considering ricefarmer is directed at a chinese person.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Anyone who bashes Unity has no clue about any Engine, I have seen people bash Unreal, when 80% of the industry uses, it, and Unity 4 isis gonna be one of the widely used Game engines to date, I use it for games in the industry and it has come along ways, is it the best?? Depends what your doing... But it is one of the ones you will see more and more people use it.

I have seen bash Hero because of SWTOR, people think a game shows what a Game Engine can do, they are mistaken, its what the company wants to do, when it comes to this, and what support Dx 10, 11 GFX etc, so people/gamers need to educate them selfs on what makes graphics better and such, also when a game is in early beta, they are not final renders of what they will look like nor will they show you this because guess what needs to work first?? CODE/SCRIPTING,  all devs use place holders for things then add in the higher detail graphics later, because it is easier, why spent months years on something that you may not get working right??

Gamers need to understand this I see this with every game, and it annoys me, people need to understand how a development of a game works, most THINK they know, I used to think the same, before I had my degree  in Game Production, I played games for 30 years and thought I knew it all, when you go to develop a game after being a gamer with limited knowledge in the end you realize you do not know jack....So people educate your selfs a little atleast before you make your self look silly, this gets old every time I read a post in a new game, I wanna cry....

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

How can people not understand that this is the tech demo footage and does not represent ANY WHERE close to what the graphics will look like at release?

Did they not read/listen to a word that was said in the video/conversation/blogs?

Anyway, this is my frist kickstart, so good luck!

Read my post above and this is a common gamer mistake, people see certain words and flip out and make them selfs look foolish...This has annoyed me and they do it with every new game, funny how that is, and this is another reason alot of newer devs or vet devs will NOT make MMO's, I do alot of research and talk to alot of newer Devs, myself included, I went and got a degree because I wanted to make better Mmo's but listening to other devs and gamers, I no longer want to, because the way people act, there are smaller scale games that devs can make faster, make more money and less whining, and still have there passion.

I had written in the last 15 years 3 games, and they all where MMo scale, and I even did alot of work, worked with smaller teams, and I make them all smaller scale because after getting my education and the older I get, I see people really give devs no respect do why should we make you people games??? I will not kill myself to make a great game for people who give no respect, and when I say people , I mean the bad bunch because I know there are some great people that are gamers, but its sad how alot spoil it, and people complain we hardly see games made by gamers anymore, well this is why, according to alot of people that I have talked to that are becoming DEVS and have been, I been researching this for the past 10 years in school and out...They used to call me at school Mr. MMo because I knew alot and I was one of few that wanted to make them.

Now not so much because of what I see on these forums, why should I bother, i'm a part of a team that is making an MMo, can't say who because I get 100k emails, but I can tell you think you never know who is a dev and who reads what and why we do not see the games we all want... Alot of gamers try and make there own games and fail because realize WOW this is hard work and it is, when I see posts that say the devs such this is easy and that I laugh, and say well make it your self and try, because nothing is easy in Game Design/Production its hard work and a Real Career....

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

How can people not understand that this is the tech demo footage and does not represent ANY WHERE close to what the graphics will look like at release?

Did they not read/listen to a word that was said in the video/conversation/blogs?

Read my post above and this is a common gamer mistake, people see certain words and flip out and make them selfs look foolish...This has annoyed me and they do it with every new game, funny how that is, and this is another reason alot of newer devs or vet devs will NOT make MMO's, I do alot of research and talk to alot of newer Devs, myself included, I went and got a degree because I wanted to make better Mmo's but listening to other devs and gamers, I no longer want to, because the way people act, there are smaller scale games that devs can make faster, make more money and less whining, and still have there passion.

I had written in the last 15 years 3 games, and they all where MMo scale, and I even did alot of work, worked with smaller teams, and I make them all smaller scale because after getting my education and the older I get, I see people really give devs no respect do why should we make you people games??? I will not kill myself to make a great game for people who give no respect, and when I say people , I mean the bad bunch because I know there are some great people that are gamers, but its sad how alot spoil it, and people complain we hardly see games made by gamers anymore, well this is why, according to alot of people that I have talked to that are becoming DEVS and have been, I been researching this for the past 10 years in school and out...They used to call me at school Mr. MMo because I knew alot and I was one of few that wanted to make them.

Now not so much because of what I see on these forums, why should I bother, i'm a part of a team that is making an MMo, can't say who because I get 100k emails, but I can tell you think you never know who is a dev and who reads what and why we do not see the games we all want... Alot of gamers try and make there own games and fail because realize WOW this is hard work and it is, when I see posts that say the devs such this is easy and that I laugh, and say well make it your self and try, because nothing is easy in Game Design/Production its hard work and a Real Career....

That is why we need to see the gameplay instead of write up.

They should atleast complete 50 - 70% of the game and show us their gameplay then do a kickstarter.

Not asking for money when they are not even 10% completed.

FFS every salesman can do an awesome write up but you wonder whether they can do the stuff they talk about.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Release Date 2015-2016 I think there we much better things to play by that time.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781
    Originally posted by Nhoj1983

To those complaining about the graphics and the tech demo (the pictures put on mmorpg.com).. here's the official statement by the pathfinder team.

Creator Goblinworks Inc. on November 27

@Helgi Freyr Rúnarsson - No, what you see in the Tech Demo video is simulated combat. It has no relation to what will be in the actual game. The main objective of the Tech Demo from an engineering standpoint was to enable us to demonstrate things like taking a 2D sketch all the way to an animated 3D character and to get a sense for how the various tools interact. It's mostly eye-candy, not game mechanics. :)

To those worried about FFA pvp.. being ganked and such. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo)

5. More Than A Gankfest- Unlike other Open World PVP MMO's currently on the market, Pathfinder Online actively discourages meaningless PVP. A meaningful alignment system that actually offers mechanical advantages to lawful and good aligned organizations, and a functional bounty system that allows the player to choose which players and organizations can collect the bounties they set discourages random and meaningless killing. Beyond this, the admins are taking a hard stance against 'griefing', in which players specifically seek to ruin the experience of other players, often through using game mechanics in ways that weren't intended. Griefing in PFO can be a bannable offence.

There will be meaningful objectives for both pvpers (territory aquisition) and pver's (meaningful crafting and their stated dynamic content.)  I keep on seeing repeats of the same statements.  To everyone their own but please don't spread disinformation.. of course this is the internets... :P 

We always say we want a AAA open world mmo but rarely have the abilitly to put our money towards something that will actually give us more than a tiny inexperienced team that brings out a game looking 10 years old at launch.  If you look at the dev bios there is some good experience here... it is a fair bet but a far better one than most we've seen the last ten years. So I put my money where my mouth is.  Will you?  Just my little challenge.

UO tried a bounty system. It failed. Players used it to collect the bounties themselves, because the game can't control who's who and using the system.

They also threatened bannings. That didn't work either, the PKers just overran the game. You can't hire enough GM support to handle it all and investigate each occurance so as to be fair. Especially when griefer types are drawing others into it and then paging on those others themselves. The griefers play dirty, and get a real kick out of tricking other players into getting banned.

This company is showing their inexperience in this and other ways.

Once upon a time....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Sounds like you're going to fit right in with the rest of the game devloper community. When do they listen to players? They ALL say they do, but they don't.

As far as showing bad graphics, they need to understand that every time they show anything, every time they talk, they are making a pitch for the gamer's business. If they are going to show bad graphics, they need to stress repeatedly that it's just placeholder art for the time being. They are dealing with the public. Think a little bit.

And I'll tell you something else. If when dealing with the public you get a bunch of negative feedback, maybe it's YOU. Maybe it's YOUR PRODUCT and IDEAS that are failing, rather than that public you disdain so much. When in the hell are game developers and companies going to realize they are on the wrong track? Game after game with bad feedback, and equally bad player retention. Wake the hell up!

Once upon a time....

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

This is one company (Goblin Works) with the right roots and right approach: Churning out tons of info on the goblin works blogs: Very impressed. I like how they are taking inspirations in key areas from EVE, Runescape and World of Tanks for eg and various other innovations. A quick summary:

• Player-Player Contracts - replace quests
    • Player formed factions - all/any eg as per EVE
    • Skill-Training Progression -> 2.5yrs to max level earliest in x1 role only; horizontal progress
    • Player created settlements -> Each Hex (256) can be conquered and controlled
    • Player formed Armies -> Real formations
    • Virtual Economy -> full-blown autonomous economy (not simulated)
    • Player Crafting item production and PvE Resource Cycle (maj. item creation by players)
    • Career Skills as well as Combat Skills (bounty-hunter, bandit, diplomat, tavern owner, soldier, trader...)
    • Alignment, Reputation, Politics & Open-World PvP (EVE style again)
    • NPC Alliances (changes which mobs are friend/foe)
    • Single-server World map - all emergent game story is shared by all players

That sounds all very intresting.  However the contracts, settlements and armies sound like one of those ambitious features that many MMOs with big developement teams (which the worst companies like Funcom are likey leaps and bounds better that kickstarter ones like this) promised also but then never delivered.

Something to keep on the radar but certainly am not going to inverst especially since they are charging a sub for friggin beta access.  If they are going to charge a sub then it better be close to a finished product and not some freebie testers for em that they can make testers pay.

Still intrested what the virtual economy is all about.  Not gonna go reading up on it at their site so if anyone would give me a down n dirty be much obliged.

1. Some people will be happy with a smaller mmorpg that is specifically designed not designed for the common average preference. :)

2. For more on BETA =/= Early Enrollment: What To Expect From Early Access Beta

3. For more on Virtual Economy: Money Changes Everything

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

Alpha footage looks terrible. Okay, so does anyone have videos (or at least screenshots) of the new build of the game with the Unity Engine being used? Because so far I'm really not impressed...

Mind you, I hear devs always boasting that they're using some awesome game engine when in reality the game itself doesn't do the engine any justice. Aion using CryEngine? Lol, sure, whatever. ArcheAge looks somewhat okay, but still nothing like Crysis. Speaking of which, I'm still upset that MechWarrior Online does NOT look like Crysis considering it's using the latest CryEngine. In fact, I'd have to say only TERA Online got it right, as in giving the Unreal Engine any justice, and even then some areas of the game could still be polished even further...

Maybe there's just no way to please me, but I feel like game devs are skimping out because they still keep trying to cater to people with older machines. I'm sorry, but if you're a PC gamer running an older computer (or God forbid, a laptop), you really shouldn't be. Stick to web browser games, let the rest of us who actually forked out money on real gaming rigs to appreciate the full potential of these game engines...

Or developers could actually work on game mechanics and features that are interesting enough to play the game longer then a month.

Screw the graphics I want depth in my mmo's, I want the RPG back. Anyone that concerned with how a game looks over depth of gameplay should stick to console games!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Check out the new high poly count npc's images that will be ported into Unitys 3d imaging tools. You can find the character models on the front page of the Kickstarter!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy

Alpha footage looks terrible. Okay, so does anyone have videos (or at least screenshots) of the new build of the game with the Unity Engine being used? Because so far I'm really not impressed...

Just go to their Kickstarter Page and you can DL and run around in an environmental demo...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo Member Posts: 106
    daily rewards in the kickstarter is retarded. why should a backer pledging 35$ a month ago get  rewarded with 30 more ingame items than a backer that pledges 125$ today. Its still the ks goal that counts and there is a set time for the ks. Money as money, every penny counts. I have backed many ks projects but this is the first ks to punish me for being "late" to the party with my wallet willing to donate. Why the rush for the money in the first days? And for only a 1000$ fine I can get all ingame goddies I missed while deciding on the project by reading up all the features. Well I vote no with my wallet this time as it seems you dont want my money..

It would have made more sense rewarding the daily rewards by pledge tier(i.e. at 35$ 5 items and at 50$ 10 items and so on and at 150$ all items) and still have one item unlock a day so people want to up their pledge to get more goddies.

I still dont understand why the need to create a rush at the ks start, because the dailys become less and less usefull to collect as time goes by. The deal gets worse and worse...lol

The ks is a set time to grab as much money as possible.With the system I mention above the dailys remain usefull as a cash grab from start to end in the ks and still remain a rare -ks only- item.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I find it hard to get hyped about this, considering EQ: NEXT will probably launch before Pathfinder does.
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I find it hard to get hyped about this, considering EQ: NEXT will probably launch before Pathfinder does.

You are probably right. I will keep my eyes on this one as I really like the features.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

I know 3 things about EQ:N -

1) Smedley called it: "Sandbox-Style"

2) It will use the same engine as PS2

3) It will most likely be F2P

-

It gets a lot of interest even with scant info. But I've seen the goblinworks design blogs and really like the approach to the game design. SOE just makes me a little wary being a large corporate monster: Can they afford to take risks with EQ:N.

So I'm taking a risk with PFO. image

@vortex

You complaint has been heard! You can now get all the daily deals even if you pledge now.

It's called shield mate! Go to the home page of the Kickstarter for more info.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

"Star Wars: The Old Republic cost more than $300 million. "

When will people stop throwing that number around?  Even the Pathfinder CEO is spouting this crap.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Jesus!  Why must every new "sandbox" MMO be full loot pvp?  I think I'm going to start refering to these games as Ultima Online clones.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

It's not full loot... Not even close.