Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Beta Key Give Away!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has partnered with Paradox Interactive and Seatribe to give away keys to the Salem beta test. If you're a huge fan of sandbox MMOs with an emphasis on crafting, you'll definitely want to check this one out!

Grab a key here!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    I'll try it, thx.
  • C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    hook me up
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Anyone know if they made this game a little faster paced? Took forever to do the simpliest things...
  • blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    it's not friendly to pioneers...took foreve to make a boat, with thieves running rampant, time sinks that take real life days+. then it decayed away within the day losing all items inside it.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    This game is pretty horrible, at least when I played a month ago it was..it's basically just a rampant free for all PvP game.
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by crysent
    This game is pretty horrible, at least when I played a month ago it was..it's basically just a rampant free for all PvP game.

I have to agree, this game is terrible IMO. 

I wanted to like it too because I miss having a good sandbox game to play.  Honestly I don't really have the words to describe it.  Try it yourself and you'll see.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

This game is not designed with you in mind, move along, nothing to see here.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

You are right there, it certainly wasn't designed with me in mind.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I've been playing this game for 3 weeks and have not once been engaged in PVP. Some raiders did hit my little settlement and attempt to wall us in while I was offline, but we just moved closer to an allied settlement and started rebuilidng. Worked out great, have a much better spot now.

So for potential players don't listen to this - it actually takes a decent amount of effort to even get the skill required to kill other players and to really be able to do it you will probably need to band together with others and start a settlement to at least harvest food and crap to increase your humours. Unless you just want to grief noobies outside of Boston.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by svandy
    ... it actually takes a decent amount of effort to even get the skill required to kill other players and to really be able to do it you will probably need to band together with others and start a settlement to at least harvest food and crap to increase your humours. ...

It takes a decent amount of effort only because you're still a new player (in a new village). Once you have a base with farms and mines it's trivial to make a new character with murder skill. Just park a brand-new alt at your cupboards and let him eat food and iron lockets all day.

It's completely boring gameplay - but it's very effective - thus people do it. Once your first character has learned all the skills you have no need for inspirationals any more - but your farms and mines produce them each day, so what else to do with it than to feed them to alts?

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

rofl MMORPG is giving away yet more keys??? yet the 5k they had before was only 50% claimed.... i guess all the noobs being $@#$@ by that wannabe native tribe of pricks on the plymoth server has driven the game pop to the toilet they need to draw more noobs....

pro tip DO NOT roll a new account on plymoth. you will be killed within 24hrs or sooner if you walk off the "boston" town claim lolol safer on Roanoko or Jamestown. though both have their Aholes too.. its typically not as bad as plymoth (in that you are killed the minute you actually spawn in town..)

game really is not for everyone.. it takes niche to the insame levels of lowest possible population for a game...

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22

Still sorta interested in this. However, when installing I am getting a security warning of "unlimited access" to things like

personal information and my webcam of all things. I have never seen such an issue but then again, I haven't installed a

game with a java type install like this.  Anyone else have this issue?   AVG AV software.

Originally posted by Oldbugss

Still sorta interested in this. However, when installing I am getting a security warning of "unlimited access" to things like

personal information and my webcam of all things. I have never seen such an issue but then again, I haven't installed a

game with a java type install like this.  Anyone else have this issue?   AVG AV software.

thats weird, i use the ender mod client but neither it, bd client (which is dead i think) or the default have ever had that for me. and iv played this game/haven and minecraft. 

i know comodo firewall will block javaw.exe from working right so you would have to auth that in comodo.. but avg never gave me any issues. are you sure the client is really a java file off their site? 

the ender client uses a updater.jpl or something like that (its a java web based file to download updates) the default should be something similar but salem.jpl or something (same file extention that ender uses)

~edit~

salem default is: salem.JNPL (will make an EXE file on desktop called "Salem")

ender modified client (one of the suggest ones u use) is Updater.JNPL (it will make a salem updated client.exe type file on your desktop called "Custom Salem Updater")

if they arent either of those, then i would assume its not the file u want

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    been in beta for a few months now and once u get to "end game" it stopps dea in the water....when u are forced to wait 45 RL mins for iron to smelt or 4 RL days for caol to produce this game get very very boring and DULL fast

Originally posted by Dantae87
    been in beta for a few months now and once u get to "end game" it stopps dea in the water....when u are forced to wait 45 RL mins for iron to smelt or 4 RL days for caol to produce this game get very very boring and DULL fast

lolol you clearly havent reached the farming stage :P id rather wait the 40minutes for the 3 smelters i run 24/7 to finish then wait on the stupid pumpkins that take 9days to reach aspin stage. 

the main reason the game is boring later is the lack of actual content :/ but then again making iron/coal/farming all become a chore anyway with or without mass content. game is designed to make you wait for stuff while forcing you to try and speed it up lol or roll millions of alts

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

I really think that kinda speaks for itself .

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Well these comments pretty much tell me not to play this game... geesh
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is always humorous to see the fan boys of these games defend them.  This game is basically MMO trash.  You cannot implement perma death in a game that has ffa-pvp and not expect the ganking crowd  to rejoice.  The silly rules they implemented to make killing hard are easily bypassed by anyone with any kind of intelligence.

Good intentions by developers to make a working sandbox, problem is that no sandbox needs ffa-pvp and perma death.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

I'm not really surprised theres so many negative comments, the game is very unforgiving for beginners and is one of those games that only caters to a small crowd of gamers; if you don't want a game where you can potentially lose everything then Salem probably isn't for you.

Though, If you ever wanted a serious crafting MMO, you owe it to yourself to atleast try Salem out.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543
    I tried it,  held me for a couple weeks  but got bored, definately a sandbox game, niche game for sure,  for the 40 or 50 haven and earth players who moved over

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

This probably could have been a good game but once they decided to make it FFA PVP with permadeath that just kills any chance it has of being a serious contender for most of us....I had an interest in it at one time though I know players like me are just fodder for the ubers.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550
    not even if they pay me!
  • ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

It is always humorous to see the fan boys of these games defend them.  This game is basically MMO trash.  You cannot implement perma death in a game that has ffa-pvp and not expect the ganking crowd  to rejoice.  The silly rules they implemented to make killing hard are easily bypassed by anyone with any kind of intelligence.

Good intentions by developers to make a working sandbox, problem is that no sandbox needs ffa-pvp and perma death.

The sandbox aimed at the small niche crowd that wants FFA and permadeath needs FFA and permadeath.

The developers know they are limiting wideness of their appeal by doing this, they also know there is a section of players who are not at all catered for by other developers.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs