Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Don't Wanna Win

13»

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Small scale wins are fine. I just don't want to a "Save the world" storyline.  I don't need the dragon and ORR in GW2. I would be happy doing a personal story about my inventions and maybe becoming the head of some org.

Smaller wars, like Centaur vs humans or plants vs undead are all well and good, but the overreaching Dragon War? Pointless.  Oh and I am so tried of having a game tell me I am the MOST important person in the whole world and only I can save it.

When you set up a Big Boss then by default you are creating an end to your game, but its an mmo so what happens?  The war ends, but it doesn't really. ORR is still there, still fighting, so what was the point?  You make a game where you want people to keep playing, so why do you make an endpoint? It makes no sense.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Ridan477
    I tend to agree with almost everything said above. To me the only content that can truelly be dynamic and "never end" is player driven PvP content. PvE comes straight from what the developers creat for us and there for has an end. GW2 for however dynamic those events are really only remains so for the first go around. PvP endgame remains in my opinion the only viable option for an mmo to have a living "endless" world. Dark fall UO has an amazing concept and if a bigger developer with more money could attempt something like that I think it could be special. Risky, but special.

When you say PvP do you mean just the combat side?

You see for me, the above statement is what is wrong with development. Games today see there being PvE and PvP as meaning fighting monsters or fighting players. I think that basic philosophy of game design is what is wrong. The PvE world and the PvP world are not seperate. Killing a wolf is considered PvE, but killing the wolf to skin it and sell the fur to another player is both.

I want a game that doesn't enable PvE/PvP flags. There is what you can do and what you cannot do.

Plus..

The old saying "give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him how to fish he eats for life" comes to mind. The problem is game developers seem to spend all their time crating the quests and buildings and backstory etc when they should be focused on giving players skills to make quests and buildings and backstory.

For example. Rather then make an NPC, stick them in the world, give them a name, give them a scripted conversation, give them a quest to give out at the end of the conversation to kill 10 wolves......have a system that lets players create quests like to create a quest to kill 10 wolves.

Dont spend months building loads of content that a player will only use for perhaps the first 8 hours of the game then is redundent for the rest of the game. Either don't spend time on it or fill it with stuff that gets used at all levels. Or don't build level/gated content.

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133

Is funny because Aion is being advertised as a PvPvE game, which supposed to mean that there is 3 opposite faction. Two controlled by players and the third is npc (balaur race).

It sounds cool, but in reality it means, you agro the entire map while you are chasing the opposite faction and die to mobs while you are trying to pvp.