Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which game has the most complex and challenging Wizard type character?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
If we disregard sandbox, themepark, action combat, F2P and all that. Is there a game where playing a wizard is complex and challenging? And by that I dont mean in a FPS/twitch type of way but rather choice of spells, positioning etc.

Comments

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Yamota
    If we disregard sandbox, themepark, action combat, F2P and all that. Is there a game where playing a wizard is complex and challenging? And by that I dont mean in a FPS/twitch type of way but rather choice of spells, positioning etc.

I think DDO's Wizard should win that nomination.

Much like its PnP counterpart, you have to memorize spells, have spell components to cast them, and positioning matters.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by nate1980

Much like its PnP counterpart, you have to memorize spells, have spell components to cast them, and positioning matters.

Agreed, DDO came to my mind first also.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by nate1980

Hm interesting. I remember I tried it way back but found the gameplay a bit dull. Maybe I should try it again.

However, is it rewarding or is it hard and you are a weak character?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Asheron's Call, maybe?

In AC, you still have spell components so there's a certain amount of resource management beyond just mana, although much of the resource management has been reduced over time. Also, damage type actually means something in AC. Wheras in most MMOs you just spam your buttons as soon as the cooldown ends, AC mages set up their spell bars based on the role they are playing and the opponent they plan to fight. Buffs are on timers, so they also have to keep track of when to rebuff because when the buffs drop in the middle of battle some mobs can really bring the pain.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Asheron's Call, maybe?

In AC, you still have spell components so there's a certain amount of resource management beyond just mana, although much of the resource management has been reduced over time. Also, damage type actually means something in AC. Wheras in most MMOs you just spam your buttons as soon as the cooldown ends, AC mages set up their spell bars based on the role they are playing and the opponent they plan to fight. Buffs are on timers, so they also have to keep track of when to rebuff because when the buffs drop in the middle of battle some mobs can really bring the pain.

Yeah I played AC for years and years and as a caster type character. It had by far the best magic system in any game I have played. Unfourtunately any game, no matter how good it is, has it's life span.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Any of the magic based jobs in FFXI? The skillchain system in XI allows any job to be complex...
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Nope, I have never experienced a complex and deep spellcaster. There have been games with well designed skill systems, but that doesn't mean that a wizard plays as a wizard should.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Any of the magic based jobs in FFXI? The skillchain system in XI allows any job to be complex...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5495239/New-to-FF-XIV-Classes-question.html#5495239

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Loremaster from LoTRO?

Their most powerful spells even drain their health. Is positional to the extreme. And you must cast the right Spell in the right time on the right foe. Erm-yes! I think he gets my vote.

^^ This, or perhaps even the Elementalist from the original Guild Wars. Granted, you can only take 8 skills with you, the number of combinations of those 8 skills and how they play off each other and the group are endless.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Vanguard had the most complex and interesting wizards. I wouldnt use the word challenging, but then again I have never found a single class in any MMO ever challenging.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276

The wizard in EQ2 is prob best ive played if you dont mind a load of bars and about 50 spells :P

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    Originally posted by Alberel

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5495239/New-to-FF-XIV-Classes-question.html#5495239

Yeah I'm aware of the fact that XIV will have the same skillchain system after the re-release but it's not actually out yet so I'm not gonna vouch for it (or it's caster classes/jobs) until I've played it.