Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy and play TERA now, or wait for F2P?

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Hello! Pretty much as the title says....

My thoughts goes to leveling. Will I have a good experience playing TERA now on the EU servers, as if I wait for the F2P? I know there will be a huge increase in player numbers, but is it still healthy and populare today? Right now it feels like this is the perfect moment, so I get Founder title, mount and so on. But again, maybe it's a bad decision?

So yeah, speak out if you know much about the EU servers and their population!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Comments

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    I can't speak for the EU since I play on the US servers, but the population seems fine to me since they merged down to just 3 US servers. I suggest giving the unlimited trial (up to level 28) a shot to checkout the population on the EU servers.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Amazon has the game for 5 dollars!

It has 30 days play and you get to keep all the goodies of founders account, go buy it :)

PS: The amazon deal is for USA, dont even try playing in the EU. I am EU but playing in the USA and the ping is around 80-120ms and really good as they keep the game updated, EU are done by gameforge and as we all know they suck!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

It has 30 days play and you get to keep all the goodies of founders account, go buy it :)

^^ this would probably be you're best option^^

The biggest restriction I see in the f2p model is the 2 character limit and the bank limit,  if you expand it via the cash shop it will cost you way more than the 5$ box price from amazon.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

PS: The amazon deal is for USA, dont even try playing in the EU. I am EU but playing in the USA and the ping is around 80-120ms and really good as they keep the game updated, EU are done by gameforge and as we all know they suck!

They removed the 5$ price and it's back on 20$ again! But is Frogster that bad? Seems like I shoot myself if I roll on the US servers? Because both companies pretty much offer the same things?

Anyway, I am going for the unlimited trial before I buy the game! 

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    When you want 8 character slots i presume you can just create four FTP accounts.
  • davexenodavexeno Member Posts: 11

Don't go for the EU version, I tried to take advantage of the half price deal (it still works out at £20) and I had to create a new account. I was given a 'temporary' account to fulfill the transaction, then I went to activate my account...

Login with your email and temporary password and then it prompts you to change your password then verify it. Theres a box to put your password into, but no box appears to verify it so it is impossible to complete the account creation process. 

I contacted Gameforge support about this, discovering there is no livechat, no phone support (for account problems) only their ticket system. That now after 24hours I have had no reply from, which for a sub game (currently) is terrible. Research also suggests that it could take 5-7 working days before I get any sort of reply so I decided to cancel the transaction.

It took a whole two minutes for them to ban my account 'pending investigation' - I assume automated, or I hope automated or else you can see where their priorities are. 

I have however, been spoilt by good CS over the last two years with Trion/Rift and more recently with SOE/Planetside2. As well as my ISP who replies within minutes to tickets. 

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120

I'm looking forward to Tera going free 2 play. I was considering buying the game cheap right now to take advantage of Founders when it does go over to f2p. The $5 Amazon deal would have been perfect but the price is back up to $20.

I will keep my eye out for any other good deals & keep you posted.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

You should definately buy the game before the F2P.

What you basically get from Tera with 19,99€ is the full unlimited content as in a B2P game.

The subscription is basically for endgame if you decide to invest a lot of time into Tera. As it makes your instance cooldowns twice as fast and doubles the amount of dailies you can do.

Tera will have the best F2P (for a MMORPG) system out there, only comparable to Aion NA.

And I suggest buying the version that gives you the best ping. It's extremely important in PvP and makes your PvE a lot smoother. Even if it's EU & Gameforge.

I bought the game and registered account on gameforge few days ago without any issues as did my friend.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I was going to mock yo and say, ofcourse wait for f2p - but if, like other posters said, you can get it for 5 bucks... hell yeah!  do it!
  • evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

Was trying to buy the game at tera europe's website because my country is in the enmasse ip block list. Registered an account and when i click buy, i encountered a webpage that says `error`, tried it on two different com(one on mine and another on a friend), saw the same exact error. I was wondering whether does this have to do anything with the website?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Muppetier
    When you want 8 character slots i presume you can just create four FTP accounts.

Bingo. Only reason to buy it now is a) early access and b) if you want the mount.

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    I think is worth buying the game, get extra cool mounts and other extras for F2P.
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Id get it now, the game has huge potential and is quite fun.  However, the longevity of the game is just no there.  2-3 months is all it takes to get bored because outside of the linear questing system and bland storyloine theres really not much here.  The combat is truly innovative but theres a reason its going f2p, outside of the combat its not really that great of a game.  Add some difficulty and take away the ability to solo to max level and this game could be epic.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I was going to buy it, but...

do what I did, try the trial first to see if you can even log in...

it's been 2 hours and the armor code still hasn't been sent so I can log in.

Not a stellar sign of things to come.