Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Big Shoes to Fill

13»

Comments

• korvockorvoc Member Posts: 2

hey , what part of amia did you play? were you in the underdark playing a drow?

• korvockorvoc Member Posts: 2
    I too share your thoughts suzie and was one lost in nwn back in that same time period for diffrent reasons though, i played vampiric minotaurs that brought the vamp clans together and kept them in check to a drow assassin named Velve De'Elghinn that had matrons turning and running when they saw the shadows move in their own houses to helping bring a Varharun house to 1st house right under the noses of lolths followers lol. I have waited this games launch since it was first rummored with the hopes it will have atleast some true rp servers and not become the mindless hack and slash that is the common drift of mmo's that are rigged out for rp with all their emotes / personal guild houses..ect. the foundry has potential to bring the rp quality to the game which in the end is what any Dungeons and Dragons title was meant to be. i wish them luck in the success of this game and will be there on opening hopefully to find many of those that played the old games and make it what it should be a true world of the forgotten realms with all its friendships, theiveries, manipulations, plots and schemes and all out war on occasion lol
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Getting excited about the foundry feature is a bit of a jump.  The foundry is really quite limited in what you can do with it, and you have to pay for it's use after a few uses of it.  Compared to the prior NWNs it is not that good.  My opinion of course, but I have yet to see a decent game from Cryptic and I do not expect this one will be one either.
  • troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

In STO the foundary was basically 100 really terrible Star Trek stories and one really good one.

If they worked with content creators to develop some real tools it'd be amazing.  Basically you should be able to build bosses and creatures like how you can in the open soure CryEngine.  Either that or have access to an insanely high number of mobs and be able to program in behaviors.

Generally speaking the games that have great user created content (Starcraft 2, Skyrim, GTA4) work with content creators to make great mods.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by troublmaker

In STO the foundary was basically 100 really terrible Star Trek stories and one really good one.If they worked with content creators to develop some real tools it'd be amazing.  Basically you should be able to build bosses and creatures like how you can in the open soure CryEngine.  Either that or have access to an insanely high number of mobs and be able to program in behaviors.Generally speaking the games that have great user created content (Starcraft 2, Skyrim, GTA4) work with content creators to make great mods.

The other half of the problem being Cryptic/PWE (Pay to Win Entertainment) ignores almost everything but making new items for their C-store and RL cash gambling chests.

Cryptic does not really spend much time/energy on anything that does not directly turn into a micro transaction.

And I do not expect to see anything different with this game.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by troublmaker

In STO the foundary was basically 100 really terrible Star Trek stories and one really good one.

If they worked with content creators to develop some real tools it'd be amazing.  Basically you should be able to build bosses and creatures like how you can in the open soure CryEngine.  Either that or have access to an insanely high number of mobs and be able to program in behaviors.

Generally speaking the games that have great user created content (Starcraft 2, Skyrim, GTA4) work with content creators to make great mods.

Foundry in MMO is a new experience and ofcourse there are problems - however they are coping up well. Most of the problems are caused by exploiters.

For example, many missions in STO were exploit missions as doing 3 foundry missions a day gave you reward - they made 1 second trash missions.

Cryptic finally found the solution by tagging missions with certain length of time to be giving that benefit only.

Similarly now exploiters have found another way - neauter the mobs by using half-walls so their attacks can't reach you but you kill mobs and get XP. Cryptic might come up with a solution to it eventually.

However the fact that foundry has survived till now even with the best of efforts from exploiters is a great achievement. It also shows that developers are learning and constantly improving this new experiment in MMOs. Its working despite the best efforts of exploiters and thats all it matters.

For lack of content, cryptic also has removed barriers to foundry and are basically making it completely free - as they have realized only a small fraction of players make content - just for appreciation and not monetary benefits. So they are even laying out red carpet for foundry authors.

All this involvement and taking foundry seriously instead of giving up halfway due to few problems - is what excites us players about the foundry.