Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They botched their revenue model, ie 200 dollars for the full release game.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
Its pretty messed up that you can spend 60 bucks on this game, before you have even tried it or read a review on it, and you only get access to 20% of the release chars. 40% possibly if you spend all your in game currency on heroes. It would have been better to offer 6chars for 20 and 16 for 50 bucks. They could have held off on 8 less popular characters and offered those as post release dlc. But the way they are going now is going to make people feel stupid for spending the money.

Im going to pay the 60, because I understand what the game is about and that the in game currency can by me a few more heroes, but they really shot themselves in the foot with the gaming playerbase in general i would wager.

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Ps, blame my phone for lack of proper formatting.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    And just when you thought that companies can not get any more idiotic with their payment models.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Shot themselves in the foot ?? how they got your money ,lol
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Meh. I'll be playing the free version anyway.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Ps, blame my phone for lack of proper formatting.

Ill blame you for using a phone instead of a PC  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Ironically im more interested in hawkeye than the premium chars.

Oh and im at work,  so phone it has to be.

Oh and the 200 package feature list sounds like a kickstarter campaign to me.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    You trash their revenue model yet you still fork over $60 for a game that is F2P. Sounds like they got you good. 
  • omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    no sympathy from me.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jpnole
    You trash their revenue model yet you still fork over $60 for a game that is F2P. Sounds like they got you good. 

Agreed.

And while i am in general pretty excited about this game, i don't understand why someone would folk over $200 without even seeing the final product. This game is F2P, you know.

I will play the free heroes a while, and if i think the combat mechanics is fun, and i may enjoy it more by playing some of the non-free heroes, only i would consider shelving out money then.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Having played the game, it's quality is something I'm comfortable with. What I doubt however, is that it will appeal to everyone. It's very D2 but with Marvel characters, and as much as people claim D2 was king, I doubt they'd 'settle' for that kind of gameplay in droves these days. Anyway, original point is some small niche of people, most likely CB testers, like the game enough to drop that kind of money because they know they'll be playing it for a long time.

Personally, I feel it defeats the purpose; if I start the game with all the characters and costumes I'm not really going to have a desire to do anything else, since getting those things is why I'll play in the first place. I popped a $20 on Jean, and Storm comes for free and the $20 from buying Jean comes with ingame cash to buy Scarlet Witch. I'm pretty much good to go at this point.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Agreed.

And while i am in general pretty excited about this game, i don't understand why someone would folk over $200 without even seeing the final product. This game is F2P, you know.

I will play the free heroes a while, and if i think the combat mechanics is fun, and i may enjoy it more by playing some of the non-free heroes, only i would consider shelving out money then.

Agreed?  Agreed?  Really?  Yet you then say you don't know why someone would fork over 200 bucks?  The person you agree with is me. 

Just read comments all over the web, reddit, their facebook page, here at this site.  It's all the same, they screwed this up and alienated a lot of people with this model, when there's no way to try it beforehand.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Agreed.

Agreed?  Agreed?  Really?  Yet you then say you don't know why someone would fork over 200 bucks?  The person you agree with is me. 

Just read comments all over the web, reddit, their facebook page, here at this site.  It's all the same, they screwed this up and alienated a lot of people with this model, when there's no way to try it beforehand.

i am pretty sure i am agreeing with jpnole instead.

What is the problem with the model? Don't pay $200. Wait till the game is out before you decide on what to buy. Isn't that so hard?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Between Steam and Cheapassgamers.com, no game is ever worth $60, let alone $200.  Sure, someone will pay it, possibly even 1 in 50 players will, but they would have made much more profit from a $20 price tag.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Between Steam and Cheapassgamers.com, no game is ever worth $60, let alone $200.  Sure, someone will pay it, possibly even 1 in 50 players will, but they would have made much more profit from a $20 price tag.

And you know this because you've seen their number of "copies" sold or because while you were typing, it seemed like a good idea ?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by DamonVile

And you know this because you've seen their number of "copies" sold or because while you were typing, it seemed like a good idea ?

What kind of crack pot response is this?  I can't name one game with a $200 price tag that sold well.  I can name at least three that offered $200 price points and failed.  Hellgate:  London, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Steel Battalion special edition, for starters.  There are many more.  Charging that kind of money for one game is always a death knell.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    Disappointed the game won't be available for console and most of the heroes available are not of my liking.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i didnt view the $200.00 any different than mmos that offered lifetime subs (but you stil had to buy expansions)

like LOTRO

its not the same thing but it is similar

• The developers of this game seem adamant on testing the boundaries of human greed.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DamonVile

What kind of crack pot response is this?  I can't name one game with a $200 price tag that sold well.  I can name at least three that offered $200 price points and failed.  Hellgate:  London, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Steel Battalion special edition, for starters.  There are many more.  Charging that kind of money for one game is always a death knell.

How many games offered collector editions in the $175 price range that did well ? It's not a $200 price tag to play the game it's a $200 price tag to buy everything the game has now + enough money in game to buy everything they offer for quite a while.

It's still free to play if you don't want to spend that. And since you're soooo good at math. How much is a years sub + box price of most sub mmos ?

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Its pretty messed up that you can spend 60 bucks on this game, before you have even tried it or read a review on it, and you only get access to 20% of the release chars. 40% possibly if you spend all your in game currency on heroes. It would have been better to offer 6chars for 20 and 16 for 50 bucks. They could have held off on 8 less popular characters and offered those as post release dlc. But the way they are going now is going to make people feel stupid for spending the money. Im going to pay the 60, because I understand what the game is about and that the in game currency can by me a few more heroes, but they really shot themselves in the foot with the gaming playerbase in general i would wager.

This is why F2P in MMORPGs is a major fucking fallacy. Having read this, I'm not so sure which is worse anymore. SWTOR's F2P, or Marvel Heroes'..?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

200 bucks to access all the content! LMAO. "F2P" at it's finest.

You guys lapping this crapola up are only making things worse. It's on par with rewarding a dog for pissing all over your house.

I'll be laughing about this gem all day.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I feel like they're pushing the founder packs a little too hard, it seems a little fishy to me.  It's one thing to offer a premium package so the die hards can support the company, but I think I've been reminded to buy a founder pack almost every other day between email, twitter, and facebook.  It's almost as if they have a feeling that if they don't get your money before you play the game that they won't get it at all.  That's a little worrisome.
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    I feel like they're pushing the founder packs a little too hard, it seems a little fishy to me.  It's one thing to offer a premium package so the die hards can support the company, but I think I've been reminded to buy a founder pack almost every other day between email, twitter, and facebook.  It's almost as if they have a feeling that if they don't get your money before you play the game that they won't get it at all.  That's a little worrisome.

Correct. Also, are they offering more beta invites? It seems like they've had a blockade of new users for a long time now and are just relying on people to get a strong itch to pay for Founders so they can start playing the game even during beta. Again, very fishy. But in all fairness, I see this as an alarming trend in many F2P games nowadays. And don't even get me started on, lol, "Kickstarter"...

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    As I've stated in another thread, the worst thing you can do in an F2P MMO, is play for free.