Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The Ground War Begins on January 10th

2»

Comments

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

EvE players, CCP don't want you playing, they want you flying Internet spaceships, bombing the FPSers. They want 2 groups of gamers, 2 streams of income.

Glad to see some here can understand that.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

EvE players, CCP don't want you playing, they want you flying Internet spaceships, bombing the FPSers. They want 2 groups of gamers, 2 streams of income.

Exactly.  Which is why the first closed beta invites for DUST went to the long time EVE subscribers.......

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by scritty

I can't even fathom the purpose of two such wildly different genres interactimg across 2 completely different platforms.

What next -  - WiiU Mario Karts interacts with Dwarf Fortress?

Why? I mean just Why? Is there any crossover in players. Am I paying my subs so that YET ANOTHER FPS gets developed?

How many more FPS's does this world need? Aren't there 35,000 of them released every year already?

I love EvE, been quad boxing it for the last 9 years without a single month off - but it's the antithesis of FPS - the last FPS I played was Quake 2 and I have zero interest in ever playing one again.

@ Jorl you need to qualify that with consoles are more popular than PC's for TWITCH gaming. Overall PC sales are not far behind PS3 or Xbox if you include online sales for all platforms (and now in 2013 you really should include online sales...why wouldn't you?) The other downside is (and I say this as someone who owns a PS3 and a 360) these consoles are now very very old and several generations behind the PC in terms of ability. Made for PC games [none ports] look so much better, play so much more smoothly and so much more content than these consoles whose technology is almost 8 years old..Man in tech terms that's ANCIENT..and it shows.

Yeah, I too am wondering why they didn't just make several kilometer long spaceships interacting on planet surfaces instead.  What's the point of having troops on planets interacting with the pilots above?  I mean besides having an impact on control of the planets and systems.  Besides giving both the EVE players and the DUST ground forces something to strive for above k/d.

It really sucks that these huge planetary bodies are being used in an impactful way rather than just scenery.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Exactly.  Which is why the first closed beta invites for DUST went to the long time EVE subscribers.......

There is no known IP and the game will interact with the EvE universe, makes sense for the beta rather than try to market the game to a target that hasn't heard of it. The end target for the game is not EvE players.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

As long as they forbid Dust'ers from playing Gallente....

Originally posted by BadSpock

It's not just us who drone on.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

*checks skill queue on Gallente FW toon*

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35

Putting it on PS3 was such a fail idea.....

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Rilman

Putting it on PS3 was such a fail idea.....

I don't see why. CCP clearly wanted to break into the console market, and chosing the PS3 means it doesn't have to compete with Halo.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

i c wot u did thar...

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

For starters...

Dust 514 was suppose to be on all consoles ('cept Wii, but no one cares about that thing). However, Microsoft apparently had a fuss over some of the stuff that Dust would need to be able to do for proper intergration with EVE. So, Sony got the exclusive.

Secondly, I can guarantee that Dust will be come to the PC. Hilmar specifically stated that making Dust for the PC "was not out of the question", further going on to say that Dust fully supports the PS3's KB&M, followed by "I wonder why that is. (chuckle)". [ya, paraphrased the quotes, sorry]

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/gdc-2012-ccp-talks-dust-eve-and-world-of-darkness/

"As the devs note, mouse and keyboard controls are already supported in the PS3 version of the title. "I wonder why we did that," Hilmar joked during the interview."

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.