Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

At what point do we actually own a game?

allendale5allendale5 kansas city, MOPosts: 124Member

With all the developments in MMO's over the last ten years, including increased security, item malls, Steam and similar products, I am wondering at what point do we, as gamers, actually own a game or IF we ever own it.   Many games that you purchase require addtional purchases or subscriptions in order to play or to play effectively. Most require on-line registrations, keys, etc.  

New pushes in the industry are attempting to restrict what you can do with the game after your freely purchase it, such as preventions against after market sales, or preventions against just giving it to a friend or family member, or from altering it in any way.  While many of the efforts of the manufacturers are understandable or reactionary to certain property rights violations, other actions seem to be infringing on our rights as paying consumers.  I am wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.  

Comments

  • Moe4871Moe4871 Woodbridge, VAPosts: 36Member
    Wrong forum?
  • dimnikardimnikar ZanistanvillePosts: 271Member

    Simply put - never, you only lease it, or rather, subscribe to it (even if it's B2P or F2P).

     

    It feels like this practice should be illegal, really, but then you remember bus passes arent' transferrable either. And you just stop thinking about it.

     

    Right?

  • hfztthfztt GlostrupPosts: 839Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by allendale5

    With all the developments in MMO's over the last ten years, including increased security, item malls, Steam and similar products, I am wondering at what point do we, as gamers, actually own a game or IF we ever own it.   Many games that you purchase require addtional purchases or subscriptions in order to play or to play effectively. Most require on-line registrations, keys, etc.  

    New pushes in the industry are attempting to restrict what you can do with the game after your freely purchase it, such as preventions against after market sales, or preventions against just giving it to a friend or family member, or from altering it in any way.  While many of the efforts of the manufacturers are understandable or reactionary to certain property rights violations, other actions seem to be infringing on our rights as paying consumers.  I am wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.  

    They are not preventing you from reselling it. They just want a cut of the profit that GameStop and others are making for said after market sales. If you think it over that is actually quite fair...

  • dimnikardimnikar ZanistanvillePosts: 271Member
    Originally posted by hfztt
    .  

    They are not preventing you from reselling it. They just want a cut of the profit that GameStop and others are making for said after market sales. If you think it over that is actually quite fair...

    Well that's just not true, is it, most companies specifically ban you from selling or otherwise trading your MMO account. Giving it away is a no-no as well.

     

    Let's at least start this discussion with facts.

     

    Maybe you mistook this thread to be about games in general? OP specifies MMOs.

  • ketzerei84ketzerei84 Boston, MAPosts: 67Member Common
    Never. Hell, we can't even own games that have been shut down. As evidenced my Lord British and his team of asshat lawyers destroying the only real project working on a tabula rasa emulator.

    image

  • RaysheRayshe London, ONPosts: 1,284Member

    Depends, MMORPG - Never, we never own the MMORPG simply because we share it with so many people. its more like renting the useage of it.

     

    Console - My opinion, as soon as i remove the plastic wrapper from the game. its mine, This is actually why i will not be purchasing any of the Next Gen Consoles. The CD key idea not allowing me to trade in my games after they have gone though their entire usefullness is Idiotic and Greedy. Specially when the companies responsible for requesting this are getting record Profits (EA and Capcom)

    Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,643Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by allendale5

    With all the developments in MMO's over the last ten years, including increased security, item malls, Steam and similar products, I am wondering at what point do we, as gamers, actually own a game or IF we ever own it.   Many games that you purchase require addtional purchases or subscriptions in order to play or to play effectively. Most require on-line registrations, keys, etc.  

    New pushes in the industry are attempting to restrict what you can do with the game after your freely purchase it, such as preventions against after market sales, or preventions against just giving it to a friend or family member, or from altering it in any way.  While many of the efforts of the manufacturers are understandable or reactionary to certain property rights violations, other actions seem to be infringing on our rights as paying consumers.  I am wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.  

     

    You have never owned a game, just as you have never owned a movie or a song (unless it was original material you yourself created).

    You own a physical medium (a disk for example) and a limited license to play or listen to it's contents.

    You effectively agree to a contract when you buy (either as a one off payment or an ongoing rental) that license, as set by the seller.

    If you don't like that contract enough to stomach it in order to consume the media, then don't get into it. It's that simple. These are non essential leisure products... you are not forced into entering into anything through coercion or fraud. If you don't like the terms offered, walk away.

     

    In short, you have very few actual 'rights' beyond what the seller chooses to extend you and your ability to choose on information available before purchase.

    They have a right to monetise or protect their investment as they see fit.  You have the right to say no thanks and give your money to someone else.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,643Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rayshe

    Console - My opinion, as soon as i remove the plastic wrapper from the game. its mine

     

    The physical disk may be, but the actual game is not, and never will be. It has nothing to do with opinions.

  • OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Soon as you make your own game, its yours ;)
  • IchmenIchmen Winnipeg, MBPosts: 1,228Member

    you never own the game unless you are part of the core developement team that made it. 

    as the end user is only paying for a licence to access the data (the game) they do not legally own anything related to the game or the account. 

    so unless you develop your own game and make the code and art and sound ur self or pay to have it made for u.. you will never ever own the game. 

    i do not own my AOE1 game even though i bought and paid for the game disk and played it until i out grew it. even today i do not own it while i phiscally can hold the disk lol.

     

    its all in the EULA and TOS that you get when you install the game 

    CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
    Evga GeForce 670 FTW
    Evga P55 SLI

    <image

Sign In or Register to comment.