Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is my top pick for a MMORPG in 2013.

Comments

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    as a PC gamer i have no real hope of a cross platform game being exciting. So far any game I have played that from concept was meant to go cross platform has felt childish on a PC.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Its going to be good. Probably better than GW2 even. People will be surprised. Cant wait

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

I have tried most MMOTPS/FPS in the market. So far Defiance seems to be the most complete of them all. It has taken the good aspects of several other games (Rift, Borderlands, Planetside, even Tabula Rasa) and blends them together. So far it feels like the first real MMORPG with Shooter combat.

The only other MMO shooter that comes even close is PlanetSide 2, but then PlanetSide 2 has zero PvE, so two completely different markets.

I think Defiance will do well if Trion manages to deliver a complete/polished product like they did with Rift.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Rocket spamming on PvP killed defiance for me as an option

The PvE is fun, but meh, I dont really play a game solely for its PvE

Well, now onwards to Wildstar I guess

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by dinams

Are you really judging a game by its PvP balance when closed beta just barely got started?

Originally posted by Krytycal

Are you really judging a game by its PvP balance when closed beta just barely got started?

It would need a major overhaul on the rockets to function otherwise

plus, I added stuff on my post

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

I'd expect that there will be major overhauls before the game is released. It's obvious to anyone who has PvPed that rocket launchers and other explosive weapons in general are a joke in PvP. I would be surprised if they don't get significant adjustments over the next few patches.

It seems Defiance is first and foremost a PvE game, sort of like Borderlands. If you don't like PvE then I recommend Planetside 2. 

I'd expect that there will be major overhauls before the game is released. It's obvious to anyone who has PvP that that rocket launchers and other explosive weapons in general are a joke in PvP. I would be surprised if they don't get significant adjustments over the next few patches.

It seems Defiance is first and foremost a PvE game, sort of like Borderlands. If you don't like PvE then I recommend Planetside 2. 

Its not that I dont like PvE, but I believe that both should coexist equally

Besides, if they make the overhaul on the rockets I might check back

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Can't break NDA... but I think Defiance is utter crap. Doesn't help that it runs & looks like shit either. Played 20 minutes and couldn't stand another second of 25 FPS generic action.

I'd expect that there will be major overhauls before the game is released. It's obvious to anyone who has PvP that that rocket launchers and other explosive weapons in general are a joke in PvP. I would be surprised if they don't get significant adjustments over the next few patches.

Its not that I dont like PvE, but I believe that both should coexist equally

Besides, if they make the overhaul on the rockets I might check back

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the PvP turns out in the game. From my experience so far, it seems they're taking the direction of Rift/WoW/SWTOR with most of the PvP being phased/instanced with hotspots in the open world.

I'm mostly a PvPer and I'm okay with that. I've always though the biggest reason why MMO shooters aren't widely successful is because they are too PvP oriented (i.e. APB, Planetside). With PvE back to the forefront my bet is Defiance will pull in more traditional MMORPG players than any other shooter MMO before.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

LOL its a mmorpg and who ever told you about the gear is dead wrong sorry. I can't say much because of the NDA but I love the game and its got some real cool stuff  and some great ideas from a game that people love so much. 

This game is far from fail.

Its a pretty mediocre 3rd person shooter with some people around, sometimes. It feels much like Gw2 honestly, you may be playing around others, but you are not playing WITH others. On top of that Trion starts off the story in one of the worst ways possible, telling you that you are a badass instead of making you feel like you are a badass. On top of the squishy gunplay (it feels like its designed for a gamepad, not a mouse and keyboard) and itemization that does not make sense they have a lot of the "little things" to fix that are super important if they truly want the game to be successful.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Can't break NDA... but I think Defiance is utter crap. Doesn't help that it runs & looks like shit either. Played 20 minutes and couldn't stand another second of 25 FPS generic action.

The game ran smooth for me, and while it's no Farcry or Battlefield in terms of visuals, it looks better than most other MMOs in the market.

Also, what were you expecting the action to be like? It played like every shooter game out there. That was the point. A game for people who are sick of the MMORPG tab combat.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Just a shooter with mmo elements..not bad, but nothing special.

Originally posted by jimdandy26

LOL its a mmorpg and who ever told you about the gear is dead wrong sorry. I can't say much because of the NDA but I love the game and its got some real cool stuff  and some great ideas from a game that people love so much. 

This game is far from fail.

Its a pretty mediocre 3rd person shooter with some people around, sometimes. It feels much like Gw2 honestly, you may be playing around others, but you are not playing WITH others. On top of that Trion starts off the story in one of the worst ways possible, telling you that you are a badass instead of making you feel like you are a badass. On top of the squishy gunplay (it feels like its designed for a gamepad, not a mouse and keyboard) and itemization that does not make sense they have a lot of the "little things" to fix that are super important if they truly want the game to be successful.

The game felt nothing like GW2 to me except maybe when it came to rifts/dynamic events. I think it resembles Borderlands the closest. A mix of Borderlands and Rift. The third person shooter combat is nothing to write home about, but I'd take it over tab combat any day.

I do agree with you that there are a lot of things that will need fixing so I guess we'll have to wait and see if they actually do.

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

Nothing more than a gimmick.

Those playing should be concerned about the shows ratings. When they go, so shall the game.

Count on it.

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

Originally posted by Maitrader
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

[mod edit]

It's almost as if they were intentionally using the beta to find bugs in an unfinished product.

Quite the travesty.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Im actually hoping the show fails honestly. It will open up alot more options for the game. As of right now, the game takes place in San Fransisco and the show will be in St. Louis. 

They are keeping them separate indefinately, so that they can show "cross-over" through dialogue, but thats the only influence you will see between them. It was never meant to be more than something written into the script at the last minute. The shows plots and direction are predetermined, so if you expect more influence like determining the direction of the show itself you are very naive. Its not even something they would be arrogant enough to claim.

So if the show succeeds, they have to make sure the show locations and the game locations never cross paths. Now if the show fails, they can expand the game, anywhere they want, without having to worry about the nerds raging if a building or landmark is/isnt the way it was in the show. 

I give them big props for trying something different, and Im sure its going to be a fun gimmick, but thats all it is, and it will soon wear thin on people. All new shiny toys get old, and lately thats been sooner rather than later.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Forget Miss Cleo im coming here to get my fortune read next time, heads must get heavy with all that knowledge trapped inside of them its a good thing you have a place to release those rays of brilliance.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

The game runs great for me, on my 2 year old gaming laptop. Much better than GW2, to be honest.

Without breaking NDA, all I can say is that this game will appeal to console/borderlands fans who would like to experience some MMO in a shooter game. I can't see it being interesting to tradional MMO fans, especially the fantasy genre fans, of course. 

However, due to market saturation with tab target fantasy MMO's, Defiance might fare better than expected. 

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

The defiance engine is OLD.. its apparent from the first moment you play the game this is a seriously old engine, however it is smooth and clean but theres nothing fancy or shiny about it.

Overall I would say the game is OK but thats it

I think the success of this game will depend on what serious FPS players (none come to this site) think of the game

The biggest factor is going to be the TV show, If the show is really really good the game will do well cause as I said its ok but nothing special.  It has some depth in skills growth and cool pve but if the show flops the game flops if the show is a hit then people will get into the game imo

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    This, The Repopulation, and AA are the three im looking forward to this year.
  • ZeT_kcZeT_kc Member UncommonPosts: 19
    the pc, ps3 and xbox will all have different servers, as microsoft doesn't want xbox players to play with players from other consoles. So, the game is no longer crossplatform.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    A lot of the user interface looks to be holdovers from the cross platform development.   Needs some serious work on the GUI for PC.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

you got a source for that? that was one of the questions i kept asking in their twitch stream last night. Then they look at each other and say "not talking about that right now"

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by aleos

you got a source for that? that was one of the questions i kept asking in their twitch stream last night. Then they look at each other and say "not talking about that right now"

only thing i heard about that was they mentioned top guild names could be mentioned or some top players names used in the show.. aside from that i wouldn't expect much as far as the game effecting the series.. now the direction of the series effecting the game is another story but still not sure about that as not much info has been revealed

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg