Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Setting up 7.1 sound through Turtle Beach X41.

SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

So, I have been using my X41 headset for about 6 months now.  In my current config, it's Xbox/PS3/PC > HDMI Cables (Edit: to TV) > Digital Cable(Edit:  From TV) > Headphones.

With the PS3 and the Xbox 360, I get 7.1 surround in this set.  Yet, with the PC, it is stereo.  I have tried updating my Nvidia drivers, updating my utilities, and replacing the .ini file for the monitor with a more specific one that is tailored to my monitor.

What I am thinking is that I need to get a sound setup where it's PC > Digitial Out > Headphones and PC> HDMI > TV separately.  Since I rarely use my consoles anymore, I am OK with this.  The problem is, I am not sure how to best go about it.

At the end of the month, I will be rebuilding my system in a big way, and going with an Asus mobo for their UEFI BIOS (eyeballing Sabertooth hard), and sticking with Nvidia because I intend to use 3D vision when all is said and done, Edit:  and Intel because of AMD's power inefficiency for this generation.

So, here are the questions:

#1 Shoud I simply get a 7.1 motherboard with a digital output? 

#2 If I get a soundcard with a digital output that does 7.1, which is the best non-defective cheap one?  (sound quality important but not to audiophile levels)

#3 Why did they kill JFK?

#4 What are your other recommendations?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon

What is the "digital cable" from TV? The Toslink optical cable?

What I would do is try plugging your headset directly into the computer. See if you get surround sound there.

Also, make sure your sound card on your computer is set up to process surround. There should be some 3D sound test apps in your driver control panel, at the very least to let you test left/right/front/rear/etc. The standard Microsoft generic sound drivers do not support surround - just stereo.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

What is the "digital cable" from TV? The Toslink optical cable?

What I would do is try plugging your headset directly into the computer. See if you get surround sound there.

Also, make sure your sound card on your computer is set up to process surround. There should be some 3D sound test apps in your driver control panel, at the very least to let you test left/right/front/rear/etc. The standard Microsoft generic sound drivers do not support surround - just stereo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203040&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA&gclid=CO-robLu1LQCFQ-f4AodazAAYg

TOSlink does make them, yes.  The problem is that I'm dealing with an outdated config.  My old tower has some bad internal wires (~7 years old), my mobo doesn't have any digital audio connectors, and the required USB slots to otherwise connect the headphones are all taken up by other things  (it has a grand total of 4 working USB slots.)  Edit:  I also don't have a dedicated sound card, but this surround sound issue has me looking at them.

Since I basically have to rebuild anyway, and I'm getting some extra cash to help from a family member, I am finally going to rebuild, but I want to answer some of the questions I have now.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111005

Something like this is cheap, and would work in the interim - giving you a digital Toslink on your existing computer.

I used to have a similar M-Audio one and it worked fine (until it became obsolete due to lack of drivers, this was a few years back).

When you get your new motherboard, odds are it will have an equivalent or better sound card built in.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111005

Something like this is cheap, and would work in the interim - giving you a digital Toslink on your existing computer.

I used to have a similar M-Audio one and it worked fine (until it became obsolete due to lack of drivers, this was a few years back).

When you get your new motherboard, odds are it will have an equivalent or better sound card built in.

Thanks for the great suggestion!  I might go a notch up and spring for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829270009&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

It has better reviews and a couple of reviewers said it works great with my X41 headset.  Now, I just need a USB hub to go with it, lol.