Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishing coming to GW2?

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
Interesting thread on the official forums about a chat with an NPC... second post down. Makes you think fishing may indeed be on the way, no?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Seems like its possible. Wooh fishing! /fake excitement.

Never really was into fishing much. Honestly, it would maybe give people still playing the game something to do outside grinding mobs or zerging WvW but its never anything really noteworthy. You never see fishing really bring very many people back to a game.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Never really was into fishing much. Honestly, it would maybe give people still playing the game something to do outside grinding mobs or zerging WvW but its never anything really noteworthy. You never see fishing really bring very many people back to a game.

We don't need to "bring people back to the game"  that is a problem other games suffer from.  Adding another feature to this game is a pleasant thought for the people that still play. As for the people that don't play, we're not overly concerned on what they think.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Purutzil

We don't need to "bring people back to the game"  that is a problem other games suffer from.  Adding another feature to this game is a pleasant thought for the people that still play. As for the people that don't play, we're not overly concerned on what they think.

+1 for hitting the nail on the head

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Careful. There'll probably be a certain method when it's introduced that'll let you get large amounts of a particularly valuable fish. Even though GMs can't tell you if it's an exploit or not, you'll probably get permabanned for doing it.

But hey, it'll give the thousands of bots / hackers something to do.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    I would not be upset if they added this to the game. I believe ALL MMORPGs should offere as many different things to do as possible as it increases not only the longevity of a game but provies something for as many gamer types as possible increase the chance of a higher gamer population.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Features, features, features. IMO, screw content, keep adding features. A move inthe right direction IMO.

Except when it comes to PvP. More game types please.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

It makes you wonder if it's going to be a part of the resource gathering mechanics for the current crafting skills or be a new stand alone feature all its own.  Since they already have net guns I wonder if you will be able to fish with nets while diving deep underwater as well as using a pole from the surface. I could see my elementalist using his explosive fire magic spells to dynamte a pond per say... lol.

I am trying to think outside the box with the idea to see what kind of game fun fishing could bring.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    fishing... like... with a fishing pole?? why when i can just jump into the water and kill some monster fishes.

To get the little fast ones you need for new cookind recipes? Using new craftable fishing poles that change your skill bar and give you fishing associated skills? Which maybe has a chance of triggering random dynamic events when you accidentally hook into a Champion Krait or the like?

Fishing done right in a GW2 setting would be more than, say, WoW where all you do is toss a line and pull out fish. There should be, as mentioned, pole-specific skills (Cast, which channels for distance, Depth controlled by a bobber or bottom fishing for specific types of fish, Jiggle to ... well, keep you busy I guess, jiggle the bait, Set the Hook, Reel In... things like that), Dynamic Events triggered by fishing perhaps (You hook a champion something which begins to ravage the land, and NPC needs more fish for his stand and offers you maybe a recipe, cooked fish for sale or even information on how to catch a specific fish (depth, bait, etc.))... there's a lot you could do with it that goes well beyond casting and hoping for a lobster.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Volkon, you base this on chat bubble from one NPC...in a town next to the sea...where they eat fish?
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Careful. There'll probably be a certain method when it's introduced that'll let you get large amounts of a particularly valuable fish. Even though GMs can't tell you if it's an exploit or not, you'll probably get permabanned for doing it.

That made me LOL =)

And unfortunatly is probably an accurate statement.=(

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Anet did say before GW2 was released that fishing would not be included on release, but may be added at a later date.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

That made me LOL =)

And unfortunatly is probably an accurate statement.=(

I doubt it's accurate. Thousands of bots? The number of bots in the game has been greatly reduced, so much that I haven't seen anything that indicates a bot in the game for weeks.

But on the particularly valuable fish that might be considered an exploit, yeah, funny.

imageimage
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Volkon, you base this on chat bubble from one NPC...in a town next to the sea...where they eat fish?

Well, people did piece together that new content was coming based in Lion's Arch based purely on flyers that appeared on a few walls, so...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I like games where fishing can get you items.. like torchlight. If it's just fishing for fish though (crafting or food consumables), I pretty much ignore it... I'd rather just buy it from other players and save myself the time. It's pretty much standard in MMOs that adventuring can net you more overall coin value than fishing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.