Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2, need some advice.

ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Cutting a long story short, I exchanged my ATI 5770 for a XfX 7770 dd version to gain some fps on PS2. And basicly it hasen't done alot.

Specs:

AMD 955 3.2 oc to 3.7

8gb corsair

Asrock 970 extreme 3

corsair 600w psu.

Should I, exchange card for a 7850, buy a bulldozer 6 core or wait for them to optimize the game. I'm not sure what to do tbh as I only upgraded the card for ps2.

What would you do?

Comments

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

You don't say what FPS you are getting or the conditions you get them in. Do you run the game at the lowest settings?

My rig is fine in small to medium battles but the really huge battles around some of the bases are pretty much unplayable atm for me. Rendering distance is laughable. I have actually stood a couple metres in front of a dozen people, reloading my gun, who didnt see me till i started to shoot at them.

I'd say wait for optimisations.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well don't buy a bulldozer anything
    Piledriver 6 core though yeah. You need a am3+ motherboard for either, normal am3 board wont work.

I was running ps2 on a 6850, which is roughly the same as a 7770. I got decent framerate by putting shadows on low and putting that render quality slider on around 80% your card can handle ps2 on mediumish settings.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Shari
    Cutting a long story short, I exchanged my ATI 5770 for a XfX 7770 dd version to gain some fps on PS2. And basicly it hasen't done alot.Specs:AMD 955 3.2 oc to 3.78gb corsairAsrock 970 extreme 3corsair 600w psu.Should I, exchange card for a 7850, buy a bulldozer 6 core or wait for them to optimize the game. I'm not sure what to do tbh as I only upgraded the card for ps2.What would you do?

Well, that video card upgrade was kinda like trading in your 2004 Ford Festiva for a 2009 Ford Festiva - sure it may be a little bit peppier and have better smelling seats, but it's still pretty much the same exact car under the hood.

Now this is using a Beta build, but here are some benchmark scores:
    http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/188-planetside-2-performance-test/

To take away from all those graphs:

GPU performance goes up fairly linearly with GPU power; however, the game looks playable even on older/lower performing GPUs. The 7770 is what I consider the entry-level GPU, and you can see on the graphs that it's near the bottom: to be playable on this title your going to need to turn the graphics nearly all the way down and possibly even lower the resolution. You can also see that it's barely an upgrade over your 5770. (this shows GPU tests will all graphics options on high/maxed, they just alter the resolution for the different tests).

AMD CPU's are going to struggle compared to Intel CPUs, and the game isn't very heavily multi-threaded in the first place. Going from a 4-core to a 6-core of what amounts to the same architecture wouldn't do you a whole lot of good. You can see on the benchmark page, it nets about 3 FPS performance... Jumping to a new Intel 1155 CPU, however, would more than double your FPS.

Which makes sense - the game uses CPU-based PhysX. And being a PhysX title, the game also performs better on nVidia hardware rather than AMD (even though PhysX is run on the CPU regardless): as witnessed by a 660 (a $220 video card) outperforming a 7970 (A $400 video card) in many of the benchmarks

So basically, with your current setup:
    No matter what video card you upgrade to, your going to be bottlenecked by your AMD CPU.
    And, no matter what CPU you upgrade to, your going to be bottlenecked by your 7770.

But, if I could only pick one of the 2 to upgrade immediately, I would go for the CPU (which would also mean a new motherboard). You can get the fastest GPU on the charts there, and your AMD X4 would choke it back and you wouldn't get good performance out of it, but at least with a new CPU, your current 7770 could at least get something acceptable out the door, and when you upgrade the video card later (to something nVidia - sorry AMD fanboys, this title is fairly specific) you won't be bottlenecked.

An Intel 1155 motherboard runs around $100-125 starting (you can go cheaper, but I probably wouldn't) and a Core i5 3570 CPU is pretty standard at around $215 - you would need both. You can reuse your RAM so long as it's DDR3 (some older AMD motherboards had DDR2, but I'm pretty sure yours is DDR3).

If you are waiting for Sony to optimize the game, I wouldn't hold my breath. They still need to optimize EQ2 and Vanguard, and those are like... 8 and 6 years old, respectively.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

PS2 is a viciously demanding game on anything less than good systems for what it is. As an aside, a lot of Sony games are like that. Ye oldie EQ2 even ran very sluggishly on a pretty ok 3 year old system (AMD 3ghz, GTX260 GC, 4 gigs RAM) on mid-high settings when a moderate amount of things were going on in my peripheries for example. Their game engines tend towards lovely but not that efficient imo. 

PS2 played abslutely beautifully on a new system I bought from overclockers just before christmas (ivybridge i7 3.6 o/c to 4.7 with a 3 gig gC and 16 gigs of RAM)...but the gods were not smiling on my newfound PS2 enjoyment and I rapidly discovered after a few too many incidental BSOD memory crashes (oddly mostly occuring whilst watching you tube and not whilst playing PS2!) that they'd sent me a machine with bad RAM. This is, incidentally, the second time this happened with a pre-built system from overclockers curse their eyes, so I sent it back for a refund after a vicious argument, but that's not relevant to your problem. 

In short, I can only say with the above newer system, even with partially f***ed memory it ran like a bloomin dream even in mental zergs whereas it was larely unplayable on my old system...unless I was alone in the wilderness picking daisies. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Well, that video card upgrade was kinda like trading in your 2004 Ford Festiva for a 2009 Ford Festiva - sure it may be a little bit peppier and have better smelling seats, but it's still pretty much the same exact car under the hood.

Now this is using a Beta build, but here are some benchmark scores:
    http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/188-planetside-2-performance-test/

To take away from all those graphs:

GPU performance goes up fairly linearly with GPU power; however, the game looks playable even on older/lower performing GPUs. The 7770 is what I consider the entry-level GPU, and you can see on the graphs that it's near the bottom: to be playable on this title your going to need to turn the graphics nearly all the way down and possibly even lower the resolution. You can also see that it's barely an upgrade over your 5770. (this shows GPU tests will all graphics options on high/maxed, they just alter the resolution for the different tests).

AMD CPU's are going to struggle compared to Intel CPUs, and the game isn't very heavily multi-threaded in the first place. Going from a 4-core to a 6-core of what amounts to the same architecture wouldn't do you a whole lot of good. You can see on the benchmark page, it nets about 3 FPS performance... Jumping to a new Intel 1155 CPU, however, would more than double your FPS.

Which makes sense - the game uses CPU-based PhysX. And being a PhysX title, the game also performs better on nVidia hardware rather than AMD (even though PhysX is run on the CPU regardless): as witnessed by a 660 (a $220 video card) outperforming a 7970 (A $400 video card) in many of the benchmarks

That's an interesting link.

It sure looks to me like Planetside 2 suffers from an acute case of badly-coded syndrome.  There's no excuse for releasing a game in late 2012 and having an FX-8150 only be able to get you 40 frames per second because of a CPU bottleneck.  And it's not that they have a ton of stuff that the CPU needs to do, either; a Phenom II X2 550 gets you about 70% of that, and doesn't lose by that much to a higher clocked Phenom II X4.  That's terrible CPU core scaling and an awful game engine.  That sort of CPU core scaling is understandable in older games that were started before people realized that multi-core is the future, but not today.

On the GPU side, it doesn't look so much like it prefers Nvidia to AMD as that it just doesn't like GCN (Radeon HD 7000 series cards).  Look at the Radeon HD 5870 matching a 7870, or the 6870 beating out a 7850.  Those aren't typical results, and that's an all-AMD comparison.

CPU PhysX wouldn't explain any GPU brand preference, anyway.  Physics computations running on the CPU neither know nor care what GPU you've got unless Nvidia goes far out of its way to sabotage PhysX.  That would take something really malicious, like asking what GPU you've got in places where it doesn't matter, and then doing a bunch of useless garbage computations to bog things down if it's not Nvidia.  It's not the sort of thing that you could accidentally introduce into your code, regardless of whether you work at Nvidia or SOE.

Even so, GPU performance at max settings doesn't necessarily tell you much about how the game will run if you turn off a few things.  You certainly have a CPU problem, but you don't necessarily have a GPU problem unless you're the sort of person who has to max settings in everything.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would say to ignore those benchmarks purely because they are beta benchmarks.  I am running a 6 core AMD and an HD5870 using maximum settings and getting a higher fps then they report I should be getting purely because those were benchmarks taken before any possible fixes.

In fact the OPs original CPU and GPU should not have any issues with Planetside 2.  I think the best thing the OP can do is look on the Planetside 2 website for any possible optimizations to .ini and cleaning up the OS.  Chances are its something dumb in the .ini for the OPs setup.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

getting between 20 - 40 fps in high settings.

medium 30-55