Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Suzie's Best of 2012

Comments

• SuntasticSuntastic Member Posts: 9

I'm confused. You're comparing RPG to MMORPGs on a MMORPG website. Based on what you wrote, it's clear the MMORPG genre no longer appeals to you. Why even list MMORPGs?

Are you trying to imply all games are included in your best? Then why not include console, FPS, RTS or facebook games if this article is purely "Suzie's Best of 2012."

If you only play a game because "it's your job" obviously you're not going to like it as much as the types of games you like. So don't muddy the waters and only list the games you like...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dishonoured
    1 its not a rpg, its a first person stealther / shooter
    2 its developed by arkane, but they are part of zenimax group along with bethseda and Id.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Suntastic

I'm confused. You're comparing RPG to MMORPGs on a MMORPG website. Based on what you wrote, it's clear the MMORPG genre no longer appeals to you. Why even list MMORPGs?

Are you trying to imply all games are included in your best? Then why not include console, FPS, RTS or facebook games if this article is purely "Suzie's Best of 2012."

If you only play a game because "it's your job" obviously you're not going to like it as much as the types of games you like. So don't muddy the waters and only list the games you like...

I love MMOs, lots of them. In fact, my list included 4 that I initially started playing as a function of my job but grew to love enough to play when I had time. 

The whole purpose of this list (and the other 4) was to write what our favorites, hence the ones we "like", for the year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    THIS IS AN OUTRAGE
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Suntastic

So don't muddy the waters and only list the games you like...

But that IS what these lists are about. MMORPG.com is following the format pushed by many websites such as GiantBomb where each staffs lists their favorite games of the year. It's a purely subjective lists of 'my bests games of the year" like any member of this forum could post.

So, I really don't see the issue with the staffs writing about the games they liked when that's the whole purpose of the column...

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Glad to see RIFT in there. I don't play it because it's not exactly my type of game (although I did beta test it and recently tried their free lv 1-20 trial), Trion is a company that, without a doubt, deserve a lot of praise for the insane pace at which they develop content. They're the only company so far to make the $15 a month seem worth it because they're delivering new content on a nearly monthly basis, unlike certain other games...

Surprised they didn't get more mention than that this year however. (Although Storm Legion did get them an award)

With this in mind, I don't understand why people are so negative, and/or apathetic about Trion's next MMO Defiance?  Is it because people hate Syfy? (Although I don't understand that either). Seriously, I am looking forward to this game/show more than anything else next year due largely to the involvement of Trion and the writer of Farscape. The lack of love for this title baffles me.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I guess the problem with D3 for me was that I was so looking forward to it as a long time D2 player.  Blizzard did about everything wrong they could do with it.  Horrible itemization.  300 hours in the game and no legendary drops at all.  Now that is pathetic.  Even the yellow drops were horrible.  I just detest having to buy equipment, but the stuff I find is rarely of any use and I am not that picky.  I just finally stopped playing it, games are supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

As to SWTOR, SWG in any form was far superior.  Played it for a month and regretted the decision to buy it.  The game was all fluff and no substance.

The rest of your list are good choices, all decent games.

About the only games I find myself playing these days are Eve and occassionally Lotro.  I have not found any of these current games to hold my interest very long at all.

Because of Trion's rep though, I am looking forward to giving Defiance a try.  

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Senadina
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Glad to see RIFT in there. I don't play it because it's not exactly my type of game (although I did beta test it and recently tried their free lv 1-20 trial), Trion is a company that, without a doubt, deserve a lot of praise for the insane pace at which they develop content. They're the only company so far to make the $15 a month seem worth it because they're delivering new content on a nearly monthly basis, unlike certain other games...

Surprised they didn't get more mention than that this year however. (Although Storm Legion did get them an award)

With this in mind, I don't understand why people are so negative, and/or apathetic about Trion's next MMO Defiance?  Is it because people hate Syfy? (Although I don't understand that either). Seriously, I am looking forward to this game/show more than anything else next year due largely to the involvement of Trion and the writer of Farscape. The lack of love for this title baffles me.

I think it's because of how different it is from the rest of the MMO genre. There still isn't that much love for MMOFPS (or TPS) on this forum (with PS2 as more or less of an exception) and despite what the more vocal part of this community says, I'd say most members are pretty content with the more traditionnal MMORPG gameplay and Defiance would conflict with their interest.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Not sure why people feel the need to point out D3 On the list, some people do enjoy it. In particular, casual gamers might find D3 to be an actual 'good' game as it does an amazing job with polish. Sure, I feel it to be a major disapointment and of the three aRPGs that came out in the year (torchlight 2 and PoE being vastly better, particularly if your an old D2 player) far inferior, it doesn't mean others can't enjoy D3 as well. As for the top pick(s) being an MMO... well, no one ever said the list did have t obe all MMOs. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Add TERA and remove SWTOR, then  I'd be good with the list.

Unless it deserves honorable mention for most money spent...  on what I'm not sure.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Pretty surprised you chose D3 as one of your games it has to be said, think I played it for 3 hours and I've not touched it since and probably never will.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Putting something as awesome and addicting as Torchlight II in the same sentence as two biggest trainwrecks of the year (Gears of Mass War Effect III:The Nonsense edition and Diablocraft 3) seems really really incomprehensible to me. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

2012 was an interesting year in gaming.  It was, without a doubt, one of the most hyped up years.  SWTOR (okay late 2011, early 2012), GW2, Tera, D3, TSW - lots of stuff to look forward to.

I'm not sure what people were expecting on D3 but there are still millions of people playing it so i'm assuming it delivered on the funfactor - and thats really what counts the most.

Anyways, cheers to 2013! 

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    I agree completely on the views of both Rift and TSW.  Rift has done so well I became a 1 year subscriber with their Storm Legion expansion.  Thank you for a very informative article.  It goes to show that a quality article doesn't require a contrived "pen" name and over done eye make up.   
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by mymmo
    i've played TSW off and on ultimately giving it up. everyone keeps saying how it's new and fresh, but i never saw how. mind explaining that? hopefully you're all not just talking about the setting.

The setting, the detective quests, the lore and the horizontel grinding :)

New stuff in other words :) 

the quests while not all new were my most obvious thing that was implemented somewhat  differently. the "grinding" is completely linear and standard. the zone progression is the same. you can only go where you gear permits really, and the gear determines your level. the character level is more "omitted" than non-existent. this aspect of TSW functions exactly the same as world of warcraft.

Missions that require you to use your head to figure out how to complete, without all the obvious pointers that are in most games.  (Yes you can google a spoiler site, but the innovation is that you are challenged to complete it without cheating).  Clues built throughout the game -- in the lore, in the cut scenes.  You need to pay attention in TSW.

Speaking of Google, actually integrating modern setting tools into the game -- actual websites that are woven into the storyline and clues of the game.  Needing to look up hieroglyphs or ciphers in order to solve a puzzle, but then actually and audaciously including a browser as part of the game.  And cell phones to turn in missions.

The pattern of missions is subtly different and follow more of breadcrumb rather than a hub/return pattern, leading you more serepitously through the map. 

Sabotage missions that don't have a stealth mode but that require you to sneak and remain out of sight and NOT engage in combat to complete.  Even the action missions require you to use your head.

The ability wheel, which allows a single character to play any role, equip any weapon and gather any ability.  You can play a tank, healer, dps and everything in-between.  The "horizontal proogression" is the ability to create multiple unique decks and find crazy synergies and combos, and make your character stand out as different.

Separating clothes from gear, giving players the freedom to create any look they like, independent of combat.  Complete freedom there.

No levels or classes.  See the ability wheel above.  Gear does play a role, but it is only part of the picture, and your deck plays a big part in how effective your character is.  You can be geared for a particular area in the game, but if your deck sucks, you will get your ass handed to you, even so.  Again, the more effort you put into an effective deck, the more effective you will be.

A move away from ez-mode.  The game challenges you, and the learning game is a bit more steep than many games.  It rewards thought and persistence, and respects your intelligence.  Combat and puzzles can be hard, but that's usually because you haven't thought things through.

Finally, a return to community.  The game has included an in-game theater, pubs and a club for RP.  Many tools for grouping, and a move away from dungeon finder tools that group with an anonymous speed runners.  People are actually talking to each other in this game, and I think it's due to conscious design decisions to give people reason to do things together.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ort I sort of agree with you. If you're pure pveer tsw is probably the best modern mmo you can play (its hard for a start, but also has a very imersive world)

But pvp is my thing, followed by crafting.

Anyone that's really into dungeons or metagame building should check tsw out though
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    pretty much none of that post about TSW is new and fresh, and it's highly dressed up in rosiness and fanboyism...
    pretty much none of that post about TSW is new and fresh, and it's highly dressed up in rosiness and fanboyism...

Please name for me an MMO where you:

• Must use your head rather than just follow the arrows?
    • Have the concept of investigation missions?
    • Have access to every ability and weapon in the game with a single character?
    • Have an in-game theater with props, sound effects and lighting?
    • Have an in-game browser with websites that are part of the game?  (www.orochigroup.net)
    • Have no levels or classes
    • Have clothes completely separated from gear
    I'll take the fanboy tag, no problem, but examples of other games doing these things, please.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    D3 was a fun game in it's own right. I personally don't believe it lived up to it's predecessors, but by itself, it does ok. I've enjoyed TL2 more, but it needs better story elements.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

I read her post on TSW to verify if you are correct.  You're not, by the way. 

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Please name for me an MMO where you:

• Must use your head rather than just follow the arrows?
    • Have the concept of investigation missions?
    • Have access to every ability and weapon in the game with a single character?
    • Have an in-game theater with props, sound effects and lighting?
    • Have an in-game browser with websites that are part of the game?  (www.orochigroup.net)
    • Have no levels or classes
    • Have clothes completely separated from gear
    I'll take the fanboy tag, no problem, but examples of other games doing these things, please.

EQ2 has had an in game browser for years.  The skill wheel and QL(1-10) are essentially levels, but who cares?  TSW is one of the best mmos I've ever played.  It was also one of the best deals at $30.

I haven't got to run instances yet, but I hear they're fun.  I love that I can eventually master every skill on the wheel and how passive synergies work with on damage and attack type rather than just weapons.  I love the setting and environment and I dig the community and general chat.

Oh you forgot the ARG on your list.  I know other games have mini-games outside the game or some sort of external interaction, but is there any game that has something like TSW's ARG and how it fits in with the game?  The last one was pretty awesome.  There are some things I don't like and some standard mmo trope they've veneered over, but I'm definitely a fanboy of this game now.  I'm heading to Arcadia now.

D-oh!  ARGs are a great thing, as well -- the last one was amazing.  Instances are low trash, but very fun.  

I'll disagree somewhat about gear being the sole determiner of levels, though.  It's really gear+deck that really determines your "level".  Pure gear with a sucky deck can render your character ineffective and...dead.

Interesting about EQ2 -- I'm guessing it wasn't so integrated into the lore, though?

By the way, stuff that still needs work:

• PvP balance and queues for the minigames
    • More PvP options
    • Animations
    • Character face and body options
    • More content 
    • More sandboxy elements
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I agree with your list, of all the games you listed Diablo 3 would be number one on my list and Rift in close 2nd.  The game not listed was WoW, but saying you like Diablo 3 will garner you enough hate from people.  Saying you like WoW might make them riot lol.  Good read!

Edit: and I'll admit it, when Cain died "I got something in my eye" too.  I was totally suprised and caught off-guard when it happened, and so soon into the story too!  I was like Darth Vader at the end of Episode 3 "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" lol
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

"Of all the games I played this year, The Secret World was one that I truly felt brought something new and different into a pretty stale market."

Check Age of Wushu. You will be surprised

• cideouscideous Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if I just got used to the theme park mmo, but I find myself missing the dedicated classes in these new mmo's. As far as diablo 3 goes they could of at least changed the content the 2nd time through I had lots of fun the first time through but the same content got really old really quick.
  • diceman82diceman82 Member Posts: 8
    post reeks of nerd baiting with obvious choices everyone universally agree on as being shittastic(Swotor, D3). WTB a "bury story" button so this crap doesnt make the front page.