Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab Targeting is Here to Stay Folks

1235»

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    age of wushu LOL, he said age of wushu zomg! Enjoy that! L>O>L

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

WOW R U SERIOUS?! TAB TARGETING! WOW SUCH COOL NEWS!

LULZ

Thats like saying crappy games are going to be made this year....duh we know... thanks for nada

Crappy games? ArcheAge isn't crappy... Age of Wushu isn't crappy... It's also clear you never even read my post due to just how simply immature your comment is.

I beg to differ.  Although I have no idea what combat style Age of Wushu uses (tab target, or action) it still looks like crap and has horrible animations.  AA on the other hand is nothing more then a hybrid of WoW and farmville, nothing to see here.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Tab targeting always will be the a fundamental component of MMOs, and that is simply because FPS mechanics do not work well.  This is the reason that every MMO with FPS has and will continue to fail.

If a developer trys to add depth to an MMO that uses manual aiming, then the people that are interested in this style of combat complain that it doesn't require "skill" because they died from "X" game mechanic.

If a developer doesn't add depth to the game, then no one wants to play the game because there is nothing to do except pvp.  

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Tab targeting always will be the a fundamental component of MMOs, and that is simply because FPS mechanics do not work well.  This is the reason that every MMO with FPS has and will continue to fail.

If a developer trys to add depth to an MMO that uses manual aiming, then the people that are interested in this style of combat complain that it doesn't require "skill" because they died from "X" game mechanic.

If a developer doesn't add depth to the game, then no one wants to play the game because there is nothing to do except pvp.  

lol   hilarious post.  all of it.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by thinktank001

LOL

Go play Tera and learn, the future is changing. Silly-est post ever lol

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by Torvaldr I consider the combat in both GW2 and TSW a blend of action and tab or soft targeting.  They have both active and passive dodging.  The ranged attacks, both "physical" and "magic" can be evaded both by rng and motion.  You target a foe and won't miss them with a ranged attack, outside of rng, from not reticule targetting them, but they can actively dodge or move out of the way.  A ranged launch doesn't guarantee you will always hit if the target moves.  In my own categorization I refer to these as "soft targetting".
    What imaginary version of GW2 are you playing?   If you want to avoid a projectile in GW2 you can Dodge at the right time or be hit by it. You cant "move out of the way" as you say to avoid projectiles in GW2. Ive tried avoiding projectiles in GW2 by moving out of the way but it doesnt work. Ive been 20 yards away from the point of impact and still been hit by projectiles. This is easy to see with giant worms because they throw slow moving rocks. GW2s combat is still very much rooted in Tab target style, ArenaNet may try and hide it with a Dodge mechanic but its there.
    Yes you can. In fact, one of the major flaws of the Ranger longbow right now is that at long range, the longbow can't hit a moving target consistantly because the arrow speed isn't fast enough. Your character fires where it thinks the target will be with slight autotracking and if they abruptly change course, move behind something or someone, it will miss the target. One of the famous videos of Guild Wars 2 is this which shows a ranger's pet taking a hit for the ranger.

You're talking about Line of Fire, which is completely different.

In a true real time action game like Tera if an Archer fires an arrow at you you dont need to hide behind a wall or a pet you can just side step an inch and the arrow will miss you.

No autotracking.

Also, I wouldnt call the autotracking in GW2 "slight". Ive seen people shoot projectiles behind them.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

I play Tera right now, really enjoy playing it too, I like tab targeting also, but please don't think that everything is tab targeted and will remain king.

Defiance and Elder Scrolls, Star citizen and darkfall UW.

There is four MMOs coming out this year or next without tab target. Probably more but they are a large share of the big hitters coming out this year.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

I play Tera right now, really enjoy playing it too, I like tab targeting also, but please don't think that everything is tab targeted and will remain king.

Defiance and Elder Scrolls, Star citizen and darkfall UW.

There is four MMOs coming out this year or next without tab target. Probably more but they are a large share of the big hitters coming out this year.

Defiance: 

Game is said to have some kind of tie-in to the show.   So what happens when the show ends, or if the show flops?  Syfy is notorious for dropping shows after 2 or 3 seasons if they don't perform well in their targeted market.  The reverse could be said about the game.   How long do you think the servers would be around if they don't perform as well as they hoped? 

Star Citizen:

Not an MMORPG.  Just look at their FAQ.

Darkfall UW:

Not an MMORPG.  The development of the game was called darkfall arena.  Every single game mechanic was designed to facilitate "getting back into the action", and not designed to be a standalone game mechanic.  

Elder Scrolls:

I havent followed it much, but I thought the game was designed to be highly instanced and phased, and single player.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    I prefer tab targetting because I do not want ping to be a deciding factor in a MMORPG.

If people can play FPS, RTS, MOBA and action RPG over the internet, i highly doubt lag will be a huge problem for action combat in MMOs.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Eyrothath

MMO's with real time combat... Hmm..

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside 2

Fallen Earth

Face of Mankind

Global Agenda

Age of Conan(To some degree)

DDO (Action Combat)

DC Universe (Action Combat)

Guild Wars 2 (Action Combat)

Earthrise

MechWarrior Online

APB: Reloaded

The War Z

Defiance

Dust 514

Elder Scrolls Online

Not sure if I missed any or not.. I think I already forgot what this thread was about.. Something about how tab-targetting is more popular in the MMO-genre..

You're assuming that a game with real-time combat excludes a tab targeting option.  That's incorrect.  For example Guild Wars 2 has the best tab targeting option in newer games because it also has an automatic target option.  It's too bad that Guild Wars 2 locks the player in other options and doesn't open it up, but to list MMOs with real-time combat and mis-lead the community by stating they don't have tab targeting is not correct.

I'll also state this again, any MMORPG that doesn't offer a tab-targeting option is one that I won't play.  Many MMO players feel that way.  Open up your game play options and you will have more players in the game.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    i have an idea about target based combat. give every character a range of attack; like 50 ft, within this range any mob ahead of character can be attacked freely without hard targetting(locking a target), we can move our mouse to change direction and get another target, if we do want to focus on one mob we can lock on using any key we bind to "lock on" action.  keep the target systme but make it freestyle.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Prepared
    Originally posted by Eyrothath

MMO's with real time combat... Hmm..

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Planetside 2

Fallen Earth

Face of Mankind

Global Agenda

Age of Conan(To some degree)

DDO (Action Combat)

DC Universe (Action Combat)

Guild Wars 2 (Action Combat)

Earthrise

MechWarrior Online

APB: Reloaded

The War Z

Defiance

Dust 514

Elder Scrolls Online

Not sure if I missed any or not.. I think I already forgot what this thread was about.. Something about how tab-targetting is more popular in the MMO-genre..

You're assuming that a game with real-time combat excludes a tab targeting option.  That's incorrect.  For example Guild Wars 2 has the best tab targeting option in newer games because it also has an automatic target option.  It's too bad that Guild Wars 2 locks the player in other options and doesn't open it up, but to list MMOs with real-time combat and mis-lead the community by stating they don't have tab targeting is not correct.

I'll also state this again, any MMORPG that doesn't offer a tab-targeting option is one that I won't play.  Many MMO players feel that way.  Open up your game play options and you will have more players in the game.

Except most don't have tab targeting and the action combat games that do, such as GW2, force you to adopt a more action oriented style where blocking, dodging, positioning, and targeting of certain spells are much more important, so it's far different than a traditional tab target MMO. Face it, action combat is the future of MMORPGs. Yes a few tab target games will still be around, but more and more people are enjoying and creating action combat games.

That poster didn't even get them all. Here are a few more action combat games he forgot:

The Secret World - system similar to GW2

RaiderZ

TERA (HELLO, this is the biggest one and arguably this game has the most revolutionary and influential combat system).

Neverwinter

Blade and Soul

Wildstar

For me (and many other people feel the same way) action combat is far more fun and is a natural evolution of MMORPG's. It wasn't really possible before and now that it's here, its simply a superior way of doing things and I see no reason for any game to not have some sort of action combat non targeting system in place. After having played many such games now, I can't and won't go back to traditional tab target games.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please dont necro old threads.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.