Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab Targeting is Here to Stay Folks

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lako
    So you have aimbot with fps mechanics, you get hackers making several attacks land with a big spike in a single gcd in tab Target games. I've encountered more of the later.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      If im rocking and rolling on a game.  Totally having a blast.  I dont think ive ever stopped to consider the targeting mechanics. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Razeekster

No offence, but people really really need to get over the fact that not every MMO has action combat! Action combat is not a common feature in MMOs like players are trying to make it seem! There are only a couple games that even have it in the West! Tab targetting is mainly what you will find in most MMOs. Players see a couple games with a feature and start acting like it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in every MMO.

I'm not sure if it's because like many say, players act like they are entitled, or if they truly think that tab targeting is an outdated feature. I've talked to other players who say they actually prefer tab targeting. Action combat like TERA has caters to certain people and I don't think these people realize that not every player actually wants action combat in every MMO. I say this because every new game I see coming out without action combat I see players complaining about the lack of this feature.

I also don't think that players realize that a game engine has to be specifically built around action combat if they want to include it. It's not exactly an "easy" feature to add, and that money could be spent more wisely. Like creating new features that other MMOs don't have. That is why it makes me happy that there hasn't been a large uprising of action combat MMOs and it looks like 2013 will once again be the year of tab targeting. Something that personally makes me happy (I have nothing against action combat but I do not want every MMO to have it).

Disagreed

Tab target, Static, boring, slow, trade-blows, turn based MMO combat is dieing the slow death it deserves.  Highly anticipated games like ArchAge would do wise to scrap their WoW style combat and reinvent themselves to at least follow GW2's hybrid action style combat.

Disagreed

No need to elaborate, there is a whole thread about this in ArcheAge forum and I would just repeat what many people said there.

I am pretty much indifferent when it comes to tab target vs. action combat. Either of them is fine when done properly. I do like having plenty of skills like in WoW though. I cant imagine playing MMO in which you can choose from 6 skills for years.

What could help is a system thats a bit of a AoC and Rift Macro Hybrid. 

Say you have 6 or 7 slots on your bar that you can use. Each bar is a customizable slot that allows you to assign 3 to 4 skills. They can either switch in a rotation or they can be done along the lines of rift macros where it uses the first on the list of skills avaible in that slot. An example would be... 

Skill slot 1

1) Crushing Blow - 30 second cooldown

2) Stunning Blow - 15 second cooldown

3) Normal Blow - Instant can remove cooldown from Crushing Blow. 

That would be one bar slot but 3 skills. It would go to whichever skills on the list was off of cooldown. 

Allowing players to customize these slots with an ever growing list of skills (Well until you reach the cap of course) makes each slot a combo and gives players at least the illusion of customization over their combat style. 

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

No offence, but people really really need to get over the fact that not every MMO has action combat! Action combat is not a common feature in MMOs like players are trying to make it seem! There are only a couple games that even have it in the West! Tab targetting is mainly what you will find in most MMOs. Players see a couple games with a feature and start acting like it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in every MMO.

I'm not sure if it's because like many say, players act like they are entitled, or if they truly think that tab targeting is an outdated feature. I've talked to other players who say they actually prefer tab targeting. Action combat like TERA has caters to certain people and I don't think these people realize that not every player actually wants action combat in every MMO. I say this because every new game I see coming out without action combat I see players complaining about the lack of this feature.

I also don't think that players realize that a game engine has to be specifically built around action combat if they want to include it. It's not exactly an "easy" feature to add, and that money could be spent more wisely. Like creating new features that other MMOs don't have. That is why it makes me happy that there hasn't been a large uprising of action combat MMOs and it looks like 2013 will once again be the year of tab targeting. Something that personally makes me happy (I have nothing against action combat but I do not want every MMO to have it).

Disagreed

Tab target, Static, boring, slow, trade-blows, turn based MMO combat is dieing the slow death it deserves.  Highly anticipated games like ArchAge would do wise to scrap their WoW style combat and reinvent themselves to at least follow GW2's hybrid action style combat.

Disagreed

No need to elaborate, there is a whole thread about this in ArcheAge forum and I would just repeat what many people said there.

I am pretty much indifferent when it comes to tab target vs. action combat. Either of them is fine when done properly. I do like having plenty of skills like in WoW though. I cant imagine playing MMO in which you can choose from 6 skills for years.

Say you have 6 or 7 slots on your bar that you can use. Each bar is a customizable slot that allows you to assign 3 to 4 skills. They can either switch in a rotation or they can be done along the lines of rift macros where it uses the first on the list of skills avaible in that slot. An example would be... 

Skill slot 1

That would be one bar slot but 3 skills. It would go to whichever skills on the list was off of cooldown. 

Allowing players to customize these slots with an ever growing list of skills (Well until you reach the cap of course) makes each slot a combo and gives players at least the illusion of customization over their combat style. 

Rift is a bit lazy with that though. You can just macro everything and click like 3 buttons.

Smile

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Except we did.  I was playing Vendetta Online in 2003 when literally *no-one* was doing the aim / twitch thing in MMORPGs.  Now it's all the rage, I guess.  It doesn't make a difference to me; different playstyles for different people, I guess.  I feel like I should be in one of those "I was playing aim-based combat before it was cool" memes.  Maybe someone will make one for me.

I think he ment further back when 56k was fast, noob.

I'd prefer twitch anyday, Asheron's Call had "tab targeting" but if they came back with revamped graphics and twitch combat for all skills, that would be radical beyond belief, might even fix why most people didn't like melee's in this awesome game.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Disagreed

Disagreed

Skill slot 1

Rift is a bit lazy with that though. You can just macro everything and click like 3 buttons.

Yeah which is why I was saying limit it to 3 or 4 skills. The game would have to be designed from the ground up with this type of system in mind for it to work. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You see a lot of  " I'll never touch a game like that "  in these threads. And that statement seems to imply that change isn't going to happen because they wont let it. What makes you think you're here to stay ?

Tab targeting may be what some old gamers want but it's market is shrinking. Dice rolling mechanics are hold overs from when computers where weak and most people came from playing table top rules.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Hmmm tab tageting...I love it when playing a tank and roles are essential for my enjoyment.In fact I loved playing a mage DPS in EQ2,I always grouped and just targetted the tank and zapped! No need to even tab :)

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You see a lot of  " I'll never touch a game like that "  in these threads. And that statement seems to imply that change isn't going to happen because they wont let it. What makes you think you're here to stay ?

Tab targeting may be what some old gamers want but it's market is shrinking. Dice rolling mechanics are hold overs from when computers where weak and most people came from playing table top rules.

Who said we won't let change happen.  All we're saying we prefer a certain type of combat.  I personally don't like action combat and will never touch an action rpg game ever and that's my perogative.  I don't descredit people that likes an action type combat but you sir seem to think your way is the only way.

• I don't mind tab targeting but I do find it's a little boring if it's the only way all MMOs would do things. There's room for more than just one way of playing.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Depends on the game and the player... The OP is right in that you can't just tack on "action combat" into an older game engine.

I prefer action-style games, but not necessarily twitch gaming. GW2 was a good compromise for me. I can't imagine something like EQ or WoW with action-style targeting though.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I would prefer more unique combat systems like are found in Dofus/Wakfu and Wizard101/Pirate101. If anything needs to go it's the excessive use of action bars in this genre.

<3

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by laokoko

Obviously the FPS way is more fun.

It is just it is impossible to stop aimbot in those kind of game.

Just like it is impossible to stop maphack in RTS.

To me a cheat proof game is very important.  Sicne it is impossible to stop those cheat to exist, I hope it won't become a standard.

Obvious to who?  Did they send out a memo?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by dave6660

To me a cheat proof game is very important.  Sicne it is impossible to stop those cheat to exist, I hope it won't become a standard.

I figure most gamer like more skillful combat system.  And have to target enemy themself.

But since you disagree.  I could be wrong.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I much prefer tab targeting.  I'm too damn old and slow for twitch/aim targeting.

I have no problem with the idea of being able to turn off tab targeting if you so choose.  There are a few games out there with that option and that seems to be the way to go for me.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by DamonVile

You're reading way too much into opinions.  I don't like FPS games, I won't buy or play them regardless of how popular or unpopular they are.  Why is that a problem?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I figure most gamer like more skillful combat system.  And have to target enemy themself.

You are wrong. FPS is also not the only action combat system out there. D3 has a pretty actiony combat system. 3rd person shooter is also actiony.

Is FPS more fun than TPS or top down action? Depends on the game.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I wish I could play fps but I cannot they make me ill. Some motion illness it is so bad I have to stop after ten minutes and in some games not even 5 mins and my head goes boom. I cannot solve this problem at all so I avoid playing them.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You are wrong. FPS is also not the only action combat system out there. D3 has a pretty actiony combat system. 3rd person shooter is also actiony.

I actually agree with Narius... what is the world coming to!?

-- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The world ended on Dec 21, 2012 .. we are in heaven (or hell depending your MMO preference)? :P

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I read alot of threads but don't post much and most of the time i don't agree with Narius but he's definitely on point in this thread. :)

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I dont' even remember what D3 combat was like even though I'm paragon 100.  Havn't touch that game in a while.

FIrst of all, D3 isn't your typical MMORPG.  People call them ARPG, I just call them 3d side scrolling game.  Mainly you can't turn camera angle.  And what really make it action oriented is because it is limited to 4 players.  They have less technicle issue with less people involve.

And I shouldn't say FPS, I meant to say action oriented combat where you have to aim yourself, dodge, block etc to me "should be" more popular compare to auto target games.  But I'm no game researcher and I'm probably wrong.  That is just my guess. 

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

If I swing a sword everything in its path should be hit!

Tab targeting like AoC if it's to be used, focus on one enemy but position to hit multiple.  Nothing worse then fighting glued to the ground.

To be honest I'd prefer more Dark Souls combat where your weapon can collide with environment. Imagine a pvp match where you could lure a wide swinging enemy into a narrow space and possibly neutralize them or vice versa.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    The only game I enjoyed reticular combat in was Freelancer and it wasn't an MMO.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Disagree planetside style combat is the future. The only reason for tab Target is we didnt have the tech or internet structure back then.

I think it is just preference. The PS style combat is under represented because of technology involved .. not since we have it .. we will see more of it. But at the end, both style combat will co-exist.

Not everyone like actony combat (although i do), but at the same time, many do.

It's entirely preference.

I think we're going to see both going into the future.

While I personally like the more fast-paced, challenging action combat. Others don't. Some people like the structure of tab targetting, and not having to keep track of a dozen different things happening all at once. I know quite a few people who complained about this for both PS2 and GW2. Some people just don't want to operate at that speed.

It's a lot like the difference between a team-based FPS, and an RTS shooter like XCOM. Both are acceptable forms of gameplay, with their own audiences.

This discussion has been closed.