Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: MOBA Feature Coming in v5.2?

Comments

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by darkrain21
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by ichihaifu
    Originally posted by GeekieDave
    If people are going to complain and say that they are trying to milk everything they can out of this game, You need to rethink about where World of Warcraft actually came from. Warcraft started as a MOBA game and was a huge hit. I personally look at this new feature to be a homeage to what they were like once and where they have made it to now!

Warcraft was not a MOBA game lol. Term MOBA was created for the mod called Defence of the Ancients map that was created for Warcraft 3.

Blizzard is doing everything ArenaNet is doing. Doesn't surprise me at all.

This has nothing to do with ArenaNet dude, dont bring them to this topic.

-

Honestly I just want from the bottom of my heart for WoW to just die off already. Its existence itself is destroying many other games that come out that try to imitate it, not that its a good thing itself, but they only try to imitate WoW because its what it is, a giant of a game that has the attention of practically everyone of this world. If it didnt exist, we would have other innovative games. Thankfully we're slowly breaking out of copy-the-wow world of gaming we're so used to seeing.

Dont get me wrong here, I loved the game for 6 long years, but now its just boring to me as I've already seen everything wow itself has to offer, but it hasnt really presented us anything new during the past couple of years. That is why I feel like it HAS to retire, so that Blizzard could make something new and maybe even better than WoW itself was.

It has. ArenaNet brought up a MOBA gamemode to PvP a long time ago, now WoW want to try to get into e-sport aswell. Milking that cow for years now and still doing it. Icefrog should put a stop to Blizzard.

Wow is already an e-sport and has been since before LoL made an apperance and GW2 got denied because it didnt have a diverse enough PVP system.

WoW is not in e-sport, not even close. GW2 will go into e-sport soon, GW1 was in e-sport.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

WoW is not in e-sport, not even close. GW2 will go into e-sport soon, GW1 was in e-sport.

Areana junkies begs to differ.

Don't encourage people to play WoW, Blizzard is not a good game developer anymore. They were when they made Starcraft and Warcraft, now they are immature and rush out half assed content to milk the cow. WoW isn't moving the genre forward in any way.

Titan however is a different story, might become good, except we don't know a thing about the game, so it could be total shit.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

So Blizzard copied C&C with Warcraft1/2/3, Which spawned DOTA, which was copied by Anet, and now fans of Anet are claiming Blizzard is copying them??? Pot-Kettle-Black

lol bingo. They don't see the irony in it. It's hilarious.

Fixed that for you. (with a lie)

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

Explain how they copied C&C? Using telepathic powers? crystal ball?   :)

Please refrain from spreading lies.

Yeahk, I should have just credited Westwood and not C&C in particular.  Blizz did totally rip off the Westwood.  Please at least be honest about Blizz and the fact they rarely innovate and most every single one of their design moves is reactionary to what other games are doing.

You are correct sir. They are known to rip off idea and they rarely innovate.

But for some reason people think Blizzard ripped off Anet, because it make them feel better I guess. When in actuality a more plausible assumption is they ripped off LoL. The same people Anet are ripping off as well. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

So Blizzard copied C&C with Warcraft1/2/3, Which spawned DOTA, which was copied by Anet, and now fans of Anet are claiming Blizzard is copying them??? Pot-Kettle-Black

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

Yeahk, I should have just credited Westwood and not C&C in particular.  Blizz did totally rip off the Westwood.  Please at least be honest about Blizz and the fact they rarely innovate and most every single one of their design moves is reactionary to what other games are doing.

But for some reason people think Blizzard ripped off Anet, because it make them feel better I guess. When in actuality a more plausible assumption is they ripped off LoL. The same people Anet are ripping off as well. 

If it makes you feel better to say they ripped off LoL when they decided to put an MOBA mode in an MMO then I can accept that lol. At least we are agreeing they ripped off someone even if we can't agree with whom they ripped off. 

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

LoL is the worst MOBA that exist. HoN, Dota and Bloodline Champions are the only ones worth mentioning.

Edit: Yes they are ripping off Anet by adding a dota style gamemode to their PvP. ArenaNet announced they are working on one about 1 year ago or maybe longer. All blizzard do is competing with other games and adding similar types of content to keep their players interested and so they can say other developers rip off their features.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

Actualy they're all ripping me off, I thought of MOBA's was before it became a MOD for WC3, true and no one can say otherwise.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Milkin everything out of the cashcow yo

I know right? A business trying to make the most profit from a very popular product they created? Crazytown.

Too bad Blizzard can't be more like all those other charitable MMO's whose developers work for free!

I don't know why some of you guys are ripping on that comment. It is true - Blizzard IS milking everything out of the cashcow.

He didn't say whether it is good or bad or justified or not; just stating the fact that they are milking it, which THEY ARE.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by Rusque

I know right? A business trying to make the most profit from a very popular product they created? Crazytown.

Too bad Blizzard can't be more like all those other charitable MMO's whose developers work for free!

I don't know why some of you guys are ripping on that comment. It is true - Blizzard IS milking everything out of the cashcow.

He didn't say whether it is good or bad or justified or not; just stating the fact that they are milking it, which THEY ARE.

You're right WoW has had a good run, with only 8 million or so active subscribers there's not much point in supporting the game any more, might has well throw out some half assed content and milk it quickly cus it will probably be shutting down in a month or two.

Blizzard are not milking WoW, they are supporting their producted with content patches and expansions.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

They are reacting to GW, LoL, and DoTA.  GW1 was a wildly successful esport and GW2 I think is very popular and Blizz wants to keep players focused on what they offer.

Yes because Blizzard does not already have control one of the biggest if not the biggest Esport game. GW1 was mildly successful at best.

The fact of the matter is Blizzard made a map editor with SC and WC3 that did not come with most good RTS of the time, not even speaking of the stolen models names and item mechnics, that DOTA and AoS benefited from. Do you truly believe it would have been as easy to make DOTA without Blizzard?

I don't like alot of the things that Blizzard has done lately, but they did not steal anything from ArenaNet. Lets talk about game mechanics that Anet is stealing.

Siege PvP - Countless Games.

Dynamic Events - Funny how this happened after rift, strickly speaking Trion did say it first, and sense you wanted to say Blizzard copied this Idea from them then, well there you go. Guild Wars 2 did do DEs with more grace.

Player Driven Story - Oh goddd this has been done by everyone.

Well, just about anything Guild Wars 2 does has been done, its just wrapped up and made to look pretty. It is no better then Blizzard after all ArenaNets management is all ex-Blizzard.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by expresso

Blizzard are not milking WoW, they are supporting their producted with content patches and expansions.

Adding fluffs and expansions ARE the definition of milking it, lol... especially if they are charging additional money for it. It is same as the fact that Peter Jackson is milking the crap out of The Hobbit by making what can be told in 1 movie into 3 and Lucasarts was milking the crap out of the Star Wars franchise by making a whole series of very average Star Wars based games.

Again not saying it is right or wrong, just saying it is what it is.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Did I miss something here? The footage shows landscape stills (not even an active world) of nothing more than what you see in WoW already. I see no indication that this is anything other than a fly-by still footage of landscapes. 

If they are adding a MOBA style play to WoW........ great for them. It took them long enough to try something different in PvP. It only took WoW around 3-4 years to add AoE looting into the game after a few other MMOs successfully used it in their games. 

Blizzard as a whole has only seemed to dissapoint me over the years with their approach to gaming. If others are happy with status-quo then that is great, but this gamer has left the Blizz bus a while back and does not see any reason to support the company so far.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    This is great if true. I've been itching for some dota action when playing wow bgs. I even searched for private servers with this mod.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    If people are going to complain and say that they are trying to milk everything they can out of this game, You need to rethink about where World of Warcraft actually came from. Warcraft started as a MOBA game and was a huge hit. I personally look at this new feature to be a homeage to what they were like once and where they have made it to now!

Warcraft was not a MOBA game lol. Term MOBA was created for the mod called Defence of the Ancients map that was created for Warcraft 3.

-

Honestly I just want from the bottom of my heart for WoW to just die off already. Its existence itself is destroying many other games that come out that try to imitate it, not that its a good thing itself, but they only try to imitate WoW because its what it is, a giant of a game that has the attention of practically everyone of this world. If it didnt exist, we would have other innovative games. Thankfully we're slowly breaking out of copy-the-wow world of gaming we're so used to seeing.

Dont get me wrong here, I loved the game for 6 long years, but now its just boring to me as I've already seen everything wow itself has to offer, but it hasnt really presented us anything new during the past couple of years. That is why I feel like it HAS to retire, so that Blizzard could make something new and maybe even better than WoW itself was.

Seems very mature. I don't like it any longer... So I want it to just die off. Nice. Wow being around isn't hurting anything at all. Developers are free to make what the wish... You can't just blame Warcraft for lazy ass game developers. I'm playing wow after 8 years on and off and still having fun. Don't just assume because you don't lie something, no one else likes it. All of these games are a mat of taste.

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

As you have been told more then once, Warcraft was not a MOBA(Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) Warcraft started off as RTS(Real-time strategy) Then in Warcraft 3 a mod was made AKA Dota, Which spwaned MOBAs from...

The more you know.....

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by Serenes

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

They are reacting to GW, LoL, and DoTA.  GW1 was a wildly successful esport and GW2 I think is very popular and Blizz wants to keep players focused on what they offer.

Yes because Blizzard does not already have control one of the biggest if not the biggest Esport game. GW1 was mildly successful at best.

The fact of the matter is Blizzard made a map editor with SC and WC3 that did not come with most good RTS of the time, not even speaking of the stolen models names and item mechnics, that DOTA and AoS benefited from. Do you truly believe it would have been as easy to make DOTA without Blizzard?

I don't like alot of the things that Blizzard has done lately, but they did not steal anything from ArenaNet. Lets talk about game mechanics that Anet is stealing.

Dynamic Events - Funny how this happened after rift, strickly speaking Trion did say it first, and sense you wanted to say Blizzard copied this Idea from them then, well there you go. Guild Wars 2 did do DEs with more grace.

Well, just about anything Guild Wars 2 does has been done, its just wrapped up and made to look pretty. It is no better then Blizzard after all ArenaNets management is all ex-Blizzard.

Do some research please, Blizzard had copyed game's workshop to start with (AKA Warhammer) 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_Workshop(1975) Vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment (1991)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle (1983?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000 (1987?)

But really when it comes down to it Games workshop got there influance from Tolkin and prior writers.

If you dig deeper you would know that warcraft would NEVER exist if game's workshop and blizzard didn't ever team up to make a video game to begin with. Just do some research, you might find a lot. :)

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

what I get from this 

ANet announced they are gonna do something

Blizzard said good idea

ANet years later still working on it allegedly

Blizzard has the system in place.

Everything in the MMO universe is copied from something.  Im not a huge Blizzard fan, but I will say they still have the best combat engine (response time is instant) , and are the best at implementing and perfecting ideas

Guild Wars 2 has does absolutely NOTHING innovative, not 1 thing

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Lionexx
    Originally posted by Serenes

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

Do some research please, Blizzard had copyed game's workshop to start with (AKA Warhammer) 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_Workshop(1975) Vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment (1991)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle (1983?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000 (1987?)

But really when it comes down to it Games workshop got there influance from Tolkin and prior writers.

If you dig deeper you would know that warcraft would NEVER exist if game's workshop and blizzard didn't ever team up to make a video game to begin with. Just do some research, you might find a lot. :)

Did anything I said lead you to believe I did not already know this?

I know Blizzard benefited from other companies work.

That is my point that Blizzard is no more a copy cat then any other game company, a good idea is a good idea.

Does it make you feel smart to say "Do research" when the research you told me to do had nothing to do with the topic in which I was talking about? If it was related it was obscure.

But as far as I can see I did not say "BLIZZARD COPIED NO ONE ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHER WISE IS A LIAR AND A NITT WITT." No what I said is Blizzard is no more guilty of coping then ArenaNet/Riot/Bioware/etc/etc. I do defend WoW but I defend it on factual evidence of the game, I have no plans to deny WoW has copied endless amounts of mechanics but if you can blame one without seeing the others then they are blind and ignorant and all I wanted to do was educate them on the fact, that everyone does it.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

-

It has. ArenaNet brought up a MOBA gamemode to PvP a long time ago, now WoW want to try to get into e-sport aswell. Milking that cow for years now and still doing it. Icefrog should put a stop to Blizzard.

Wow is already an e-sport and has been since before LoL made an apperance and GW2 got denied because it didnt have a diverse enough PVP system.

WoW was in esport, it just stopped at a certain point because of various reasons. GW2 MIGHT be an esport when they will be able to add all the content that is missing in PvP. GW1 wasn't an esport whatsoever, sure it had some tournaments with cash prizes and some ladder on ESL, but it was never an esport. I've never seen someone getting paid to play GW1. If people playing the game aren't paid professional, then the game is not an esport.

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

LoL is the worst MOBA that exist. HoN, Dota and Bloodline Champions are the only ones worth mentioning.

Edit: Yes they are ripping off Anet by adding a dota style gamemode to their PvP. ArenaNet announced they are working on one about 1 year ago or maybe longer. All blizzard do is competing with other games and adding similar types of content to keep their players interested and so they can say other developers rip off their features.

LoL is actually the biggest esport on the planet. Sure its still the easiest MOBA compared to DOTA or HoN but you can't deny the fact that its the most played game and the biggest esport.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Actually, it's rather brilliant and something a lot of players probably want but don't know it yet. I'm not talking about DotA specifically, but the ability to have one login, one persistent stable of characters and a plethora of games to play with them. All the resources you've accumulated shared across each of the games. They could add plenty of games within World of Warcraft and most of them would have an equal or greater appeal than one someone would have to create a new login for, roll new characters for and pay extra for.

muvfuxxin brilliant. To go to what's probably an extreme, think PlayStation Home with progression, or Steam with a 3D world for its client.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by SirFubar

-

WoW was in esport, it just stopped at a certain point because of various reasons. GW2 MIGHT be an esport when they will be able to add all the content that is missing in PvP. GW1 wasn't an esport whatsoever, sure it had some tournaments with cash prizes and some ladder on ESL, but it was never an esport. I've never seen someone getting paid to play GW1. If people playing the game aren't paid professional, then the game is not an esport.

C&C release 1995

Warcraft release 1994

LoL is actually the biggest esport on the planet. Sure its still the easiest MOBA compared to DOTA or HoN but you can't deny the fact that its the most played game and the biggest esport.

It doesn't matter if it's big, Justin bieber is big and he's not a legend or a memoreable singer. LoL will be forgotten soon. Dota and HoN are the true mobas.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

what I get from this 

Blizzard said good idea

Everything in the MMO universe is copied from something.  Im not a huge Blizzard fan, but I will say they still have the best combat engine (response time is instant) , and are the best at implementing and perfecting ideas

ArenaNet have innovated alot more with GW1 and GW2 than Blizzard have ever done with WoW. WoW's good innovations was dungeon finder and talent trees.

• KinkykelKinkykel Member Posts: 4

what I get from this 

Blizzard said good idea

ArenaNet have innovated alot more with GW1 and GW2 than Blizzard have ever done with WoW. WoW's good innovations was dungeon finder and talent trees.

Name 2 things Arena Net have innovated in their games that hasn't already been done in the genre. I'll sit here and wait while you rummage around.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Kwintpod
    God I hate mobas

Seconded. I hate MOBAs and the culture it cultivates.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Kinkykel

what I get from this 

Blizzard said good idea

Name 2 things Arena Net have innovated in their games that hasn't already been done in the genre. I'll sit here and wait while you rummage around.

still waiting, fwiw Asheron's Call 2 did talent trees