Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a mess! (impressions of a new player to the secret world)

124»

Comments

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

doogiehowser you lost

drmarvin you won

edit: played the game for some months. very solid game with great quests especially this one in london with that girl...

stopped playing because it didnt feel like a real mmorpg

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Drmarvin
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

Basically the OP has no clue and should stick to WOW, there I said it.

Summing up a whole game on a one time event and one of the three pvp games is just bad.

If you really did your research before playing like you said, would have known TSW's strong area was the story arc and PVE mission.

Never played WOW but thanks.

If you bothered to read the OP you would realise that i have already mentioned stpries and missions as the positives But right now for me, all the negatives over shadow the positives especially FC's unwillingness to ban exploters has left very bad taste in my mouth.

While FC is avoiding this issue under the pretense that 'staff is on holiday and need a break', Anet continues to perma ban those who exploited in wintersday event.

Seems to me that you are trolling or some sort of FC hater.

Here is a quote from you from a GW2 thread titled 'I am shocked"

"I am a long time WOW player and i have been paying sub for over 6 years now."

Never played WoW, huh?

I'm sure you aren't lying about anything else though...

I had a newbie account in TSW that I just logged on recently for the first time in a long time and I got jumped by the zombie.  It was an easy kill as it was scaled to my level, just like one of the other posters here pointed out.

I have had very little lag in that game and would go so far as to say it was one of the best launches for an MMO as far as server stability is concerned.

The game is focused on PvE and just like the other games you don't play (WoW and SWTOR) the balance is more for PvE than for PvP, it's hard to balance for both without completely homogenizing the game.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Stealthman06

off topic:

As I see these kinds of posts more and more around let me just tell you something once and for all, If you already have a bought version of Windows 7 32bit then all you need to do is get a Win 7 64bit install DVD from PC sites like chip.de and use your original Win7 32 key to install the Win7 64 bit version to your system.

Windows keys do not depend on which 32/64 bit version you install but on how many times you activate(3 times) and what kind of version you use, Pro, Home Premium...

Thanks for this info, did not know this. Actually tried with company where purchased computer, but all presonel changed and nobody was not even willing to try to help, answer was only that is impossible and bla blah ... if I would have i.e. HP, Lenovo, ... that would not be problem and blah blah ... but because my was compatible and company no longer active ....

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Yeah, TSW suffers from a bad case of Funcom. They make games with great potential...potential is not "actual".

The setting is great.

The story is great.

The open character class is great.

The animations suck.

The fighting sucks.

Character creation makes 10 year old games look modern...

the way events are done need massive work.

The starting zone needs to be redone to ease new players into the game and the second zone needs to be toned down as well, 3rd story arc area is fine.

The way Funcom deals with exploits requires a massive change, doubt it will come seeing as how they have been like this since their first MMO over 10 years ago.

I really do wish we could get out of this "funcom sucks" mode of argument, and just talk about the game at hand without all the histrionics.  

The animations are average, but not fantastic -- why is this such a huge deal?  The dev team has committed to making improvements as we go.

The fighting does not in fact "suck," but does take some getting used to.  I really do wish we could get more detail from people criticizing the combat so that we can understand what exactly they do not like.  The system requires you to get a handle of the ability wheel pool and working with multiple decks.  What is it that is not good about the combat? -- I've found that once people understand how the wheel relates to the deck, they enjoy the freedom of what is possible.  Is it just confusion about the combat system or something else?

Character creation is again average, and could be better.  We'll see what comes down the pike.

The starting zone does drop you in on the deep end to some extent, but those who have been playing like the fact that there is less hand-holding.  What approach is right?  For now, TSW is embracing the steeper learning curve, and the community is picking up the slack.  Perhaps this is all more of a niche approach, but is again, something I think people like about the game.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by mistmaker

doogiehowser you lost

drmarvin you won

edit: played the game for some months. very solid game with great quests especially this one in london with that girl...

Didn't know there was a competition going on. It is my impression of a game nothing more. And experince of every player is going to vary. However, no surprise he didn't bother to reply after my last post though. Accusing me of distorting 'facts' in an opinion peice. lol

However i did post the screenshots to show that lag problem is more widespread and is not just limited to few .

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

doogiehowser you lost

drmarvin you won

Didn't know there was a competition going on. It is my impression of a game nothing more. And experince of every player is going to vary. However, no surprise he didn't bother to reply after my last post though. Accusing me of distorting 'facts' in an opinion peice. lol

However i did post the screenshots to show that lag problem is more widespread and is not just limited to few .

You're never going to get anywhere with these people. Everything that i've experienced with the TSW community is nothing short of toxic.  You're not allowed to say anything that might be construed as slightly "against" TSW.  I think it's a great game to avoid like the plague. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    For me, this game is a blast:) It has some problems, but I love it none the less. I have played this game since early access, and I have never had any significant errors or disconnects or crashes. I run it on a pretty good system, so maybe that got something to do with it. GM support is also great, they are very helpful and friendley. I think that with TSW, you either love it or hate it, there nothing in between..
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    2 I like. I like that its not steadily camping mobs and there's hard stuff you have to avoid. Also sounds like you picked up that cursed talisman from the cave, yeah that zombie will keep following you until you fry it on the church doors. But imo hard is good.

5 sounds like a pc or internet provider issue, game ran smooth for me on my mid range pc, never had a crash, the servers were really good no lag problems. You do need a better pc than for the likes of eq2 and wow, tsw is a much more technically advanced game. I'm suprised you had worse performance than swtor though, that runs terrible for me with more than 10 people on screen.

2 I agree with, 4 also to a degree, although you do get a lot of options in how you dress your character as you play.

I never said anything about hardware performance issue but i was talking about latency and server disconnects and freezes caused by high latency. I get constant FPS of 40 in game which is quite good.

If i was alone suffering from this problem i woudl call my internet provider asap  but when after 5 to 6 seconds of freeze suddenyl the general chat looks like this..

Player 1; LAGGGGGGG

Player 2; Omgaddd lagggggggg..

Player 3; Did everyone freeze? for f*** sake FC get your shit together..

Player 4 ; Arggghhh i died to lagg again......

You know you are not alone.

Also the zombie i am talking about is specificaly related to End Of Days event and not the one related to cursed talisman. it stops spawnig once you kill it and pick up it remains but problem is that it is red to new players.

I really felt that i was being trolled by FC when that red zombies killed me in 4 hits as soon as i got in Kingsmouth feeling all tough and  cocky with biceps flexing out of my sleevless top.

From where are you playing? I play from Norway, Europe and never experienced any lag. The game runs very smooth for me.

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133

I mean two quality B2P games and holiday season..what could go wrong right?

What was the other game that went B2P?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

This game outshines GW2 in every aspect, so while it may have some flaws, it's still the only and first choice for any mmo gamer at this point.

The mayan event will go away in one day, and the excellent game it is will remain, with the best dungeons and most innovative setting I've seen in years. I do not care about PvP and I  have not tried it so I can't speak of that. But honestly, the feelings and sensations I get while advancing through deep, complex and intelligent plotlines in TSW is unmatched by any mmo up to this date. It's about one zillion times better than "kill 10 boars" or "grind repetitive stuff to fill a heart".

Edit: I'm yet to encounter significant lag in TSW after around 80 hours of play.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Logged in today and the monstrous lag has gone away. Not sure what happened with their server infrastructure, but it was terrible. Glad it is fixed now. Although there was no official notification from them that they fixed it, or that anything was even wrong in the first instance.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It doesn't "outshine gw2 in every aspect"

It has better dungeons
    Better music
    Better voice
    Better lore

But....
    Gw2 has much better pvp
    Has a bigger world
    Has more leveling content
    Has best crafting of any modern themepark
    Has better animations

These sort of dishonest blanket statements don't help your "cause"
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

This game outshines GW2 in every aspect, so while it may have some flaws, it's still the only and first choice for any mmo gamer at this point.

The mayan event will go away in one day, and the excellent game it is will remain, with the best dungeons and most innovative setting I've seen in years. I do not care about PvP and I  have not tried it so I can't speak of that. But honestly, the feelings and sensations I get while advancing through deep, complex and intelligent plotlines in TSW is unmatched by any mmo up to this date. It's about one zillion times better than "kill 10 boars" or "grind repetitive stuff to fill a heart".

Edit: I'm yet to encounter significant lag in TSW after around 80 hours of play.

GW2 wasnt about grinding repetitive stuff to fill a heart. You could fill most hearts passively while doing dynamic events, or avoid them entirely.

TSW is a good game, but it isnt better than GW2 in every aspect. At its heart its just a common themepark with interesting quests.

80 hours in.... you'll soon realise how limited the TSW 'world' is. It boils down to 3 themes, The Savage Coast, the Desert, and Transylvania.   The GW2 world is far superior and less disjointed.   The GW2 world is also dynamic, which TSW is not.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

It has better dungeons
    Better music
    Better voice
    Better lore

But....
    Gw2 has much better pvp
    Has a bigger world
    Has better animations

More inclined to say this is where I stand on it.  My preference for TSW has more to do with needing to take a nice long break from the fantasy genre, the love of the setting/storyline and thought needed in the questing and ability wheel.

It has better dungeons
    Better music
    Better voice
    Better lore

But....
    Gw2 has much better pvp
    Has a bigger world
    Has better animations

these are all opinions, but for me

tsw has by far the better questing and more REAL content

tsw pvp is fine for me 

gw2 world is big but not really big, just a lot of same within the same borders...

bo games are fine, but i would never compare them. i liked tsw more, i dont like the weapon bound attacks nor am i a fan of underwater combat. i prefer the freedom of tsw, but on the other hand, neither of those games can really keep me playing longer.

waiting for the sandbox games...

It has better dungeons
    Better music
    Better voice
    Better lore

But....
    Gw2 has much better pvp
    Has a bigger world
    Has better animations

tsw pvp is fine for me 

gw2 world is big but not really big, just a lot of same within the same borders...

bo games are fine, but i would never compare them. i liked tsw more, i dont like the weapon bound attacks nor am i a fan of underwater combat. i prefer the freedom of tsw, but on the other hand, neither of those games can really keep me playing longer.

You dont like weapon bound attacks....

You realise both games have those yeah?

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Omg is thread still going... Some people hate TSW some people like it, its as simple as that..

End it already.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Po_gg

1. first part I can't say much since I'm not interested in the top100 race. Second part, you're somewhat right, the spawning Servants could be a pain in the *** especially for a newcomer. It's maybe not a good move to give them this first impression on the game. Luckily it's only a few more days. (and for higher players the event is fun I think)

Your first point is solved, and not only because he event is gone now, FC addressed your exploit concerns as well:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=65258

So everyone got the title and the pet. :)

Originally posted by evilastro

It has better dungeons
    Better music
    Better voice
    Better lore

But....
    Gw2 has much better pvp
    Has a bigger world
    Has better animations

tsw pvp is fine for me 

You dont like weapon bound attacks....

You realise both games have those yeah?

no, there is a big difference. in tsw you can still choose out of a lot of attacks and passives from everywhere, where in gw2 you have just the same skills for the same weapon combination

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

2.)  Fusang PVP

I am an illuminatti player and had no idea that i joined  faction which owns Fusang in Group C  24 hours a day. Yes 24 hours constant farming of white marks for PVP gear. And how it is done?

Join Fusang (queue time is anywhere between 40 minutes to one hour), rush towards a facility, stand in there afk as you get your 3000 White Marks, leave fusang, convert them to Black Marks, rejoin queue..rinse and repeat.

On ocassion if you get 4 or 5 payers from Templars or Dragons zerg them with 15 players and camp their spawn point. This is the state of PVP in Group C. I have heared that same situation exists in Group A only difference is that Templars own Fusang 24 hours a day.

Because of this imbalance, Templars in Group A and illuminati in group C are geared to the teeth in 10.4 which leaves other factions in their groups with no fighting chance.

There is no buff for under dogs and at most you can get is 2 or 4 white marks in 3 minutes where as the over populated faction can farm upto 140 marks in 3 minutes. 

I'm Dragon and this is the main reason I don't play. I can't stand the imbalance and the results in equipment going to a dominant faction making that imbalance worse  and worse.

Otherwise, there is a lot I like about TSW. But Fusang needs to be better than it is now, especially for Dragon who are the underdog in every group.

Yes i understand your problem. That is why dragons are now mostly sticking to SH and ED (if it ever pops). But still its been 20 days now and the 'disconnected from community server' error is still there making Fusang pain in the ass. Feels like FC is still on holidays.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney