Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a mess! (impressions of a new player to the secret world)

Comments

• newchemicalsnewchemicals Member Posts: 43

I was seriously considering this game after several CoH players went to it. However, after I read that the game came out in July and by December it went "B2P" and hosing all the lifetime subs, that alone was enough of a red flag for me to pass on it. Offering a lifetime sub is usually a good warning that the game is bad and probably why I passed on it when it came out in July.

I'll see if the game is around in July 2013 and evaluate it then.

Thanks for the review

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by newchemicals

I was seriously considering this game after several CoH players went to it. However, after I read that the game came out in July and by December it went "B2P" and hosing all the lifetime subs, that alone was enough of a red flag for me to pass on it. Offering a lifetime sub is usually a good warning that the game is bad and probably why I passed on it when it came out in July.

I'll see if the game is around in July 2013 and evaluate it then.

Thanks for the review

Huh?  Lots of subs and lifetimes who were very happy with the change -- they were treated very well and in fact gained some perks.  You can still buy the sub or lifetime as of today, so no one got 'hosed.' 

1.  Agreed that the event made life difficult for newcomers over the holiday, especially if you did not realize it was going on.  The mayans are not too difficult once you realize they spawn as neutral once you've grabbed the quest, but this was certainly not communicated as well as it could have been.  If treated carefully or avoided, they are just a nuisance, but folks using AOEs tended to attract them, and the fact that they get tougher could lead to many deaths.  That said, the older players had a lot of fun with the event.  Might have been nice if they limited them a bit in Kingsmouth.

Won't comment on a real or perceived exploit.

2. All I can say is that there ARE regular PvPers in TSW and that they DO have fun, despite the shortcomings.  This isn't to say there aren't any issues -- there are, and everyone is pretty damn vocal about them.  But Funcom has shown some commitment to improve things.  Balance is the largest issue in Fusang, with the challenge being 3 faction populations and the wide disparity in builds and gear.  

3. Not sure when this cropped up -- I think possibly with the event, but yeah it's a pain and the devs know it.

4. It's strange -- when I'm in game, I'm actually really happy with the character looks, and I haven't run across anything truly horrendous, but I do see some snaps here and there and agree there's some pretty ugly faces.  Hasn't bothered me at all in-game, not sure why.  Clothes are terrific.  Counbt me in for a vote on more options on character creation though.

5. I do get the occasional freeze, but I'm pretty sure that has more to do with my graphics card and drivers (typically get an error from the card itself).  My system isn't the newest either, so I'll see more about this when I upgrade (very soon).  I am not seeing major lag, but I know everyone has different experiences with this.

So sorry OP, if you had some issues -- I like the game enough to overlook some of the rough patches, but I don't seem to have run into as many as you did either.  I fully expect things to improve as it moves ahead, tho.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    With pvp

Now its b2p you could always have a guild that does tsw for pve and ps2 for pvp.

Probably the best current themepark experience you could get.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol warz comparison hahaha

Anyway a better comparison would be swtor, they do the same thing, story driven themepark in which case

Negatives:
    More bugs
    Higher sys reqs
    Not starwars if your a sw fan
    Uglier avatars
    Equally bad pvp
    Smaller world
    Less players (though not a problem with megaserver tech)
    3 stories instead of 8

Positives:
    better dungeons
    Less repetitive quest hub / fedex style quest system
    Better more varied quests - stealth, investigations, jumpers, physical puzzles
    Better dungeons
    Free character speccing
    Better payment model
    Skill based progression
    More rp features
    Better crowd performance
    Better graphics
    More alive world with more consistent lore
    better stories / voice acting
    better soundtrack (although swtor is good, tsw is best ever imo)
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

Basically the OP has no clue and should stick to WOW, there I said it.

Summing up a whole game on a one time event and one of the three pvp games is just bad.

If you really did your research before playing like you said, would have known TSW's strong area was the story arc and PVE mission.

Never played WOW but thanks.

If you bothered to read the OP you would realise that i have already mentioned stpries and missions as the positives But right now for me, all the negatives over shadow the positives especially FC's unwillingness to ban exploters has left very bad taste in my mouth.

While FC is avoiding this issue under the pretense that 'staff is on holiday and need a break', Anet continues to perma ban those who exploited in wintersday event.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

After reading the praise from critics and player base i decided to give it a go. I got the game for 20 buck and was very excited. I mean two quality B2P games and holiday season..what could go wrong right?

Random spawns of zombies much higher than your level. When i just started playing i entered kingsmouth and immediately got attacked by a zombie which was red to me. As expected i died quite quickly. I inquired about this in general chat and i was told that this zombie will continue to attack me till i kill it and pick up its remains. 

I asked for help in general several times but i got no help so decided to continue playing. I got jumped by this zombie several times in middle of fighting other mobs and i died many many times that day. I decided to take break in frustration and give it another go next day.

Next day after several hours i managed to find help of a high level player to kill it and pick up remains. The attacks by aggressive zombie stopped.

I never had this problems first month after start before I left.

4.) Character Customization

I know this must have been talked about many many times before. But since i am a new player i just can not get over the hideous faces that i get to choose while making my character. No other MMO has put me off so badly on character creation screen before.

Agree on this.

5.) Lag and game freezes.

Horrible lag, constant server disconnects and game freezes is a part of daily life in TSW now.

There is "easy" as suggested by producer solution to this: upgrade to W7 64bit. I have put in "" that easy becasue game that advertise player can play even on XP CAN NOT INSIST THIS IS SOLUTION! I did it eventually, purchased even new hard disk and windows and boy .... what a differnce, no lag, no single disconnect, crash, ... nothing. Incredible fluid experience. Before was pure nightmare even on freshly installed copy of original W7 32biit. But many can not just afford to pay 10 times game client to have new windows and hard disk. And even if we are talking about only upgrading windows is still about 4x to 5x times game client in money. Unacceptable. Or they should advertise that is MONDATORY to have 64 bit windows. I had no problem running on my computer with 32 bit windows swtor, wow, gw2, lotro, rift, ....

Anyway ... despite my investment I left aprox week after. Main reason why I left and will NOT return until this is fixed (if they plan at all) is that SILL 7 (SEVEN!) ACTIVE BUTTONS LIMITATION! That is just plainly silly. Just spells BUTTON MASHING. And If I want button mashing will play console games not PC. Have nothing to do with "carefully plan" for 7 buttons, has to do with hated BUTTON MASHING.

But I'm fine if somebody is not bothered by, just simply said they will not get my money on sub. Yes, sub. If I decide to play i will 100% play on sub mode. I really hate so called F2P games as they are actually never free and they have destroyed quality in gaming. 

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

off topic:

As I see these kinds of posts more and more around let me just tell you something once and for all, If you already have a bought version of Windows 7 32bit then all you need to do is get a Win 7 64bit install DVD from PC sites like chip.de and use your original Win7 32 key to install the Win7 64 bit version to your system.

Windows keys do not depend on which 32/64 bit version you install but on how many times you activate(3 times) and what kind of version you use, Pro, Home Premium...

on topic:

The game has some very good features but sadly needs some work done in terms of better animations, and gameplay.

I really hope that with a bit of work, now that they changed the payment system, the game can become something great.

TSW deserves a chance.

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Interesting read.

Normally this kind of post are a whining rant from pro-pvp players but for once its a beginners view and experiences

told in a sensible way. I wish for more posts like this here on MMORPG.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    ^ Agreed. Good post, eventhough I disagree with a lot of things, especially the thing about character creation. Wish more posts were constructive as this one. If people took the time to read a post like this they might learn something about constructive critisism.
    Originally posted by trash656
    ^ Agreed. Good post, eventhough I disagree with a lot of things, especially the thing about character creation. Wish more posts were constructive as this one. If people took the time to read a post like this they might learn something about constructive critisism.

^Also agree -- the title is a bit dramatic (since he actually gives both pros and cons to the game) but this is definitely a reasonable review.  I'd say a better system (SSD, ram, better card, 64 bit windows) would remove many of the technical glitches.

Originally posted by daltanious
    Anyway ... despite my investment I left aprox week after. Main reason why I left and will NOT return until this is fixed (if they plan at all) is that SILL 7 (SEVEN!) ACTIVE BUTTONS LIMITATION! That is just plainly silly. Just spells BUTTON MASHING. And If I want button mashing will play console games not PC. Have nothing to do with "carefully plan" for 7 buttons, has to do with hated BUTTON MASHING.

You DO understand you have access to the entire 575 abilities on the wheel, and all weapons in the game, right?  The 7 Active and 7 Passive limitation is for EQUIPPED abilities only -- that's your current deck.  You can swap in an inifinte number of decks built from the pool of abilities on the wheel.  The careful plannning comes with picking an effective combo of abilities to equip into new decks....  You may want to study the build system a bit -- here's a good primer:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

Originally posted by Ortwig

^Also agree -- the title is a bit dramatic (since he actually gives both pros and cons to the game) but this is definitely a reasonable review.  I'd say a better system (SSD, ram, better card, 64 bit windows) would remove many of the technical glitches.

Ok for the third and final time. ;)

The feezes and lag is server side. I already mentioned that i have no hardware lag and i get constant 40 fps in game on everything maxed out. I also mentioned how sometimes the entire region of Kingsmouth freezes and every player on that map experince the same latency lags and freezes which last as long as 10 seconds. And i also mentioned how every other MMO runs smooth at 30 to 50 MS latency and  i was told by players in Kingsmouth (probably alts of veteran players) that this problem has become more common since B2P conversion.

I am surprised people are still blaming my system even though i mentioned it twice.

My system specs are..

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor 3.0GHz

OCZ 8 GB RAM

WD Black Scorpion 500 GB x 2

ATI Radeon HD 7950 Series

Samsung 29" LCD TV

Win 7 64 bit.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

The feezes and lag is server side. I already mentioned that i have no hardware lag and i get constant 40 fps in game on everything maxed out. I also mentioned how sometimes the entire region of Kingsmouth freezes and every player on that map experince the same latency lags and freezes which last as long as 10 seconds. And i also mentioned how every other MMO runs smooth at 30 to 50 MS latency and  i was told by players in Kingsmouth (probably alts of veteran players) that this problem has become more common since B2P conversion.

I am surprised people are still blaming my system even though i mentioned it twice.

My system specs are..

OCZ 8 GB RAM

Samsung 29" LCD TV

Win 7 64 bit.

Sorry to have missed that -- wonder if it's region specific at all; servers are in NYC.  It'll be interesting to see if the End of Days event closing will have an effect as well -- that was pretty wide-ranging, and impacted every zone in the game.

EDIT: Getting my new rig this week, so will see how things change on my end.  Independent of server performance, the things I have seen that affect performance client side are: DX11 vs DX9, 4 vs 8g ram, video card (of course), 32-bit vs. 64-bit windows, SSD drive vs SATA.  The game definitely prefers a higher-end system.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    Its a shame you had a bad experience with this game as a new player. I've been fortunate enough not to run into any lag or freezing which would ruin anyone's experience if it were constant. The servants of one death are incredibly annoying, especially for a new player so I completely agree, but its a minute problem compared to what the game has offered to me. Good post nevertheless, gives new players a heads up.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

My system specs are..

OCZ 8 GB RAM

Samsung 29" LCD TV

Win 7 64 bit.

Sorry to have missed that -- wonder if it's region specific at all; servers are in NYC.  It'll be interesting to see if the End of Days event closing will have an effect as well -- that was pretty wide-ranging, and impacted every zone in the game.

EDIT: Getting my new rig this week, so will see how things change on my end.  Independent of server performance, the things I have seen that affect performance client side are: DX11 vs DX9, 4 vs 8g ram, video card (of course), 32-bit vs. 64-bit windows, SSD drive vs SATA.  The game definitely prefers a higher-end system.

i live in north of england on the border with scotland .we dont have cable or anything up here and i have to say i dont get any lag or anything regarding the type of problems you mentioned.but everyone is different i suppose..also character cust.is not a problem for me..i love the setting,pvp well i just dont do it.so i see the game totally different than you do.hope you find a game more to your liking m8..good luck.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i dont know what about haters talking
  • KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mayan do suck and crashing sucks also though.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    None of the points beside lag touch the core gameplay of this game which is doing missions with lots of puzzles.

I wouldnt play it longterm but progressing trough the game, soaking up the story and doing all those puzzles was fun.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

Summing up a whole game on a one time event and one of the three pvp games is just bad.

If you really did your research before playing like you said, would have known TSW's strong area was the story arc and PVE mission.

If you bothered to read the OP you would realise that i have already mentioned stpries and missions as the positives But right now for me, all the negatives over shadow the positives especially FC's unwillingness to ban exploters has left very bad taste in my mouth.

While FC is avoiding this issue under the pretense that 'staff is on holiday and need a break', Anet continues to perma ban those who exploited in wintersday event.

Seems to me that you are trolling or some sort of FC hater.

Here is a quote from you from a GW2 thread titled 'I am shocked"

"I am a long time WOW player and i have been paying sub for over 6 years now."

Never played WoW, huh?

I'm sure you aren't lying about anything else though...

I had a newbie account in TSW that I just logged on recently for the first time in a long time and I got jumped by the zombie.  It was an easy kill as it was scaled to my level, just like one of the other posters here pointed out.

I have had very little lag in that game and would go so far as to say it was one of the best launches for an MMO as far as server stability is concerned.

The game is focused on PvE and just like the other games you don't play (WoW and SWTOR) the balance is more for PvE than for PvP, it's hard to balance for both without completely homogenizing the game.

• SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93

I too bit the bullet the other day and purchased the game from amazon($17.99 aint bad at all).

My impressions so far are quite good, everything I have encountered so far has been excellent.

The zombie you spoke of is a tough fight but...use movement and dodging and you should come out of the fight battered but not dead.  I could see how this could frustrate people upon first leaving Argatha, but I enjoyed the fight quite a bit.

Lag and latency hasn't been much of an issue for me. I have a pretty solid ISP and have experienced very little lag or perfomance issues, maintain about 45-65 fps with relatively low latency.

Character customization is a little lack luster, but I managed to drum up a fairly decent little gal and a real ugly little dude(my intentions) but to me this isnt a game breaker. I played wow for years and I looked like everyone else so why should this phase me?

Hell I am an ugly bearded mofo, why shouldn't my character be the same? haha

Aside from that, I haven't ventured into any pvp yet, just been working the quests which have been long and awesome. A very fine job on behalf of FC for this.

I can see myself playing this game for quite some time, I love the fact there is no "Kill 10 Rats" quests, least that I haven't seen. The skill wheel is excellent, I love that I can play how I want to play.

While the game may have some issues, its still a pretty damn solid title.

Originally posted by Drmarvin

Seems to me that you are trolling or some sort of FC hater.

Here is a quote from you from a GW2 thread titled 'I am shocked"

"I am a long time WOW player and i have been paying sub for over 6 years now."

Never played WoW, huh?

I'm sure you aren't lying about anything else though...

I had a newbie account in TSW that I just logged on recently for the first time in a long time and I got jumped by the zombie.  It was an easy kill as it was scaled to my level, just like one of the other posters here pointed out.

I have had very little lag in that game and would go so far as to say it was one of the best launches for an MMO as far as server stability is concerned.

The game is focused on PvE and just like the other games you don't play (WoW and SWTOR) the balance is more for PvE than for PvP, it's hard to balance for both without completely homogenizing the game.

So you dig up a post from last year to label me as a FC hater? that post was more of a sarcasm than anythign else because those two guys were going at eachother for the mot ridiculous thing. So i posted in same tone claiming that i am also a WOW player and played it for 6 months, hence that  makes whatever i say on topic of  'players are beign forced to sub in P2P model' more relevant and an avsolute truth. Maybe you should have read the entire topic and not just one post?

And yes i hear this excuse all the time when PVP is badly implemented. 'Hey but this MMO is more about PVE'.

However if PVP turns out to be good people are singing to different tune. I as a new player to TSW however, would like to experince all aspects of the game regardless of whether it is heavily focused on PVE orPVP.

Only because PVE is better in TSW doesn't mean that PVP isn't open for discussion or criticism.

To check out your theory of xibalban being scaled to level of new player, i rolled a dragon and entered kingsmouth and no it was still pretty much red to me and had to take help of another player to kill it.

To me it seems you are bothered by my criticism of TSW and would dig up anything to make me look like a hater or a troll. Tough luck i say. If you can't deal with it, it is your problem not mine.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

Too many holes in your argument for me to really believe you.

Another post you had in that same thread:

'I enjoy playing WOW, so i never felt i was forced to pay'

So you did play WoW or you no?

I tried another newbie character on my girlfriends account and it was attacked by a low level zombie that was easy to kill as well.

Your main premise seems to be issues with lag and this one time event.  In both cases, several of us have come on here and had the opposite experience than you've had.  Combined with your seeming propensity to fabricate 'facts' to suit you makes this whole rant suspect in my opinion.

You also mention that you run dungeon instances with a regular group.  Is this after you had help killing the zombie?  You are familiar with 'glance tanks' so I would assume you have been pvp'ing and of course you'll have issues when you are new and the opposition is more experienced and equipted better.  There are counters to every build, the genius of the skill wheel and horizontal progression.

TSW is different and I commend Funcom for not redoing the same old themepark ala SWTOR.

Originally posted by Drmarvin

Too many holes in your argument for me to really believe you.

Another post you had in that same thread:

'I enjoy playing WOW, so i never felt i was forced to pay'

So you did play WoW or you no?

I tried another newbie character on my girlfriends account and it was attacked by a low level zombie that was easy to kill as well.

Your main premise seems to be issues with lag and this one time event.  In both cases, several of us have come on here and had the opposite experience than you've had.  Combined with your seeming propensity to fabricate 'facts' to suit you makes this whole rant suspect in my opinion.

You also mention that you run dungeon instances with a regular group.  Is this after you had help killing the zombie?  You are familiar with 'glance tanks' so I would assume you have been pvp'ing and of course you'll have issues when you are new and the opposition is more experienced and equipted better.  There are counters to every build, the genius of the skill wheel and horizontal progression.

TSW is different and I commend Funcom for not redoing the same old themepark ala SWTOR.

No i didn't. and i already explained to you. But i see you are busy digging up dirt because you don't have anything relevant to add to the on going discussion?

And i would like you to point out where i have fabricated any 'facts'? and before you say anything else where did the argument of 'facts' came in when my  OP  is nothing more than an opinion based on my personal experince? *rolls eyes*

I am not here to make you a believer. Ii shared my experince. Agree or disagree like everybody else did but for some reason you are more interested in picking up a  fight. 

As far as server side lag is concerned, did i ever claim that every single player in TSW is experincing the same? dont be so foolish. Obviously other players will have a very smooth experince without any lag or latency issues but that doesn't mean i am lying or making up stuff. Do you see me accusing these people and labeling them a sa troll? no because i have common sense. Not all players on every single dimesnion are getting affected by this.

And no ym main premises is not just about lag. I mentioned 5 points and you picked up the 'lag' and made it as a premises. And if you read my OP carefully (which i am sure you didn't) you would know that my issues with PVP has nothing to do with being less experinced or under equipped because i am Illuminati which are dominating side on my server 24/7 and if i want to i can farm entire QL 10 purple  gear within a week. What i said in my OP has more to do with bad design of Fusang and delays in fixing those problems.

If you want to continue to argue with me please atleast read the OP properly. Don't treat me like an idiot because i am not.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Yeah, TSW suffers from a bad case of Funcom. They make games with great potential...potential is not "actual".

The setting is great.

The story is great.

The open character class is great.

The animations suck.

The fighting sucks.

Character creation makes 10 year old games look modern...

the way events are done need massive work.

The starting zone needs to be redone to ease new players into the game and the second zone needs to be toned down as well, 3rd story arc area is fine.

The way Funcom deals with exploits requires a massive change, doubt it will come seeing as how they have been like this since their first MMO over 10 years ago.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson