Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of taking the plunge...again

2»

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Update: I found my order confirmation emails from the couple of months I subbed on this account back in March/April 2011 and used that to get my account name and e-mail address.

With that I was able to get my password reset, but didn't know a character name so I submitted a help request and within an hour got a response from the GM Customer Support Lead with my character name and was able to log in, verify my information, and change my PW.

When I get home from work going to DL and take advantage of the $9.95 for the first month promotion.

One more question though:

With the new Bounty system - there is no reason someone can't randomly put a bounty on you for no reason other than that they have lots of ISK lying around and want to F with people?

Than you have to be PK'd enough times for something like 5 times whatever the bounty is?

That seems horribly broken.

Me, lowly couple million skillpoint toon flying around in an Industrial in high sec some random dude could put a billion ISK bounty on me and watch me get pod'd over and over for 5 billion isk?

For no reason?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    I ran multiple accounts in eve for years, on & off. Every now & then I reactivate the wrong account, thru customer support they were able to figure it out and activate my correct account after displaying proof I was the original owner. Usually that meant digging up the last 4 digits of the CC i used. Takes a bit, but they have always pulled thru for me. Here is hoping their customer support hasnt changed much over the years. Good luck. 

How long would it normally take for them to respond to you about that?  I put in my request last night and am still waiting.

last time it took a couple of days before I received a detailed response via email. From there it only took about an hour or so of back and forth and everything was squared away. both of my accounts were under the same name, so it was no problem.

• newchemicalsnewchemicals Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Update: I found my order confirmation emails from the couple of months I subbed on this account back in March/April 2011 and used that to get my account name and e-mail address.

With that I was able to get my password reset, but didn't know a character name so I submitted a help request and within an hour got a response from the GM Customer Support Lead with my character name and was able to log in, verify my information, and change my PW.

When I get home from work going to DL and take advantage of the $9.95 for the first month promotion.

With the new Bounty system - there is no reason someone can't randomly put a bounty on you for no reason other than that they have lots of ISK lying around and want to F with people?

Than you have to be PK'd enough times for something like 5 times whatever the bounty is?

Me, lowly couple million skillpoint toon flying around in an Industrial in high sec some random dude could put a billion ISK bounty on me and watch me get pod'd over and over for 5 billion isk?

For no reason?

While that could happen, it generally won't happen unless you the player does something that makes you a target.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

No, that's not how the bounty system works. That's how the old system worked. In the new system, the person who kills you can only get 20% the cost of your hull.

Say the bounty on you is 100,000 ISK. If you're flying a 100,000 ISK ship and you get killed, the PK'er only gets 20,000 ISK. Your total bounty then goes down to 80,000 ISK (100,000 - 20,000). 

Check out this page for more information: http://www.eveonline.com/retribution/bounty-hunting/

The most important thing to keep in mind is that a bounty placed on your does *not* equal kill rights. The normal rules of engagement are still enforced. For example, if someone puts a bounty on you and then attacks you in high-sec without kill rights or you being a suspect/criminal, they will get Concorded.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

How long would it normally take for them to respond to you about that?  I put in my request last night and am still waiting.

If you just submitted the request last night, be patient lol. It hasn't been that long. CCP is very good about responding, so I imagine they'll get back to you within 48 hours.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

For no reason?

I'm glad they helped you....I'm still waiting.

Originally posted by Boardwalker

No, that's not how the bounty system works. That's how the old system worked. In the new system, the person who kills you can only get 20% the cost of your hull.

Say the bounty on you is 100,000 ISK. If you're flying a 100,000 ISK ship and you get killed, the PK'er only gets 20,000 ISK. Your total bounty then goes down to 80,000 ISK (100,000 - 20,000). 

Check out this page for more information: http://www.eveonline.com/retribution/bounty-hunting/

The most important thing to keep in mind is that a bounty placed on your does *not* equal kill rights. The normal rules of engagement are still enforced. For example, if someone puts a bounty on you and then attacks you in high-sec without kill rights or you being a suspect/criminal, they will get Concorded.

That makes more sense.

I was worried about players exploiting the new system for big profits, which I guess was what happened in the old system?

I read somewhere you could put a bounty out on any player for any reason or none at all.

Maybe you can - but you still have to be "flagged" for someone to attack you? Well, of course low/null are a different story.

So you could in theory have billions of ISK bounty on you, maybe because you do really well trading and steal a lot of business a corp flags you.

But if you never go suspect/criminal in high sec and never stray into low/null where Concord can't or takes forever to respond, you're still relatively "safe" from getting PK'd?

I mean, I plan on spending a fair amount of time trying to push goods into null/low sec, so the risk is part of the game, but while I'm still learning the ropes and getting myself reaquianted with EvE I won't have to worry about veterans "noobie farming" with the new Bounty system.

I'm excited to see what is new and has changed. I also really like the new destroyers and updated ship roles.

That makes more sense.

I was worried about players exploiting the new system for big profits, which I guess was what happened in the old system? Yes, that was the old system. This new system is an effort to fix that problem.

I read somewhere you could put a bounty out on any player for any reason or none at all. Yep, that's true. So if someone is being a douche in chat, or maybe undercut you in the market, you can slap on a bounty to express your displeasure, or for no reason at all. Sometime I put bounties on people because they haven't created a "bio" for their character and it irritates me.

Maybe you can - but you still have to be "flagged" for someone to attack you? That is correct. Normal rules of enagement still apply. That part of the game hasn't changed, which is good. They also added more information about who you can attack safely, and have added a "safety" switch that you can turn on and off--when this switch is on, it will prevent you from attacking illegally. Well, of course low/null are a different story. Indeed!

So you could in theory have billions of ISK bounty on you, maybe because you do really well trading and steal a lot of business a corp flags you. Yup.

But if you never go suspect/criminal in high sec and never stray into low/null where Concord can't or takes forever to respond, you're still relatively "safe" from getting PK'd? Yes, as safe as you can be. There are still pilots who will suicide kill you if they scan your cargo and see something valuable, so it's worthwhile to stay alert when transporting valuables.

I mean, I plan on spending a fair amount of time trying to push goods into null/low sec, so the risk is part of the game, but while I'm still learning the ropes and getting myself reaquianted with EvE I won't have to worry about veterans "noobie farming" with the new Bounty system. Sounds like you have the right attitude.

I'm excited to see what is new and has changed. I also really like the new destroyers and updated ship roles. And don't forget the UI changes. :) Many people think Retribution is one of CCP's best expansions, and I tend to agree.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

For no reason?

I highly doubt anybody would put such a large bounty on an unknown player.  Even if they did, it doesn't give anyone kill rights to you.  So even if they did blow up your ship, if you're in high sec concord would destroy their ship also.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

That makes more sense.

I was worried about players exploiting the new system for big profits, which I guess was what happened in the old system? Yes, that was the old system. This new system is an effort to fix that problem.

I read somewhere you could put a bounty out on any player for any reason or none at all. Yep, that's true. So if someone is being a douche in chat, or maybe undercut you in the market, you can slap on a bounty to express your displeasure, or for no reason at all. Sometime I put bounties on people because they haven't created a "bio" for their character and it irritates me.

Maybe you can - but you still have to be "flagged" for someone to attack you? That is correct. Normal rules of enagement still apply. That part of the game hasn't changed, which is good. They also added more information about who you can attack safely, and have added a "safety" switch that you can turn on and off--when this switch is on, it will prevent you from attacking illegally. Well, of course low/null are a different story. Indeed!

So you could in theory have billions of ISK bounty on you, maybe because you do really well trading and steal a lot of business a corp flags you. Yup.

But if you never go suspect/criminal in high sec and never stray into low/null where Concord can't or takes forever to respond, you're still relatively "safe" from getting PK'd? Yes, as safe as you can be. There are still pilots who will suicide kill you if they scan your cargo and see something valuable, so it's worthwhile to stay alert when transporting valuables.

I mean, I plan on spending a fair amount of time trying to push goods into null/low sec, so the risk is part of the game, but while I'm still learning the ropes and getting myself reaquianted with EvE I won't have to worry about veterans "noobie farming" with the new Bounty system. Sounds like you have the right attitude.

I'm excited to see what is new and has changed. I also really like the new destroyers and updated ship roles. And don't forget the UI changes. :) Many people think Retribution is one of CCP's best expansions, and I tend to agree.

Boardwalker, is it possible to know that you have been scanned?

This will be the 3rd time I'll try and fall in love with EvE online.

I really, really like what I've seen/heard in regards to Retribution - and what they have on the horizon.

I really, really like what I've seen/heard in regards to Retribution - and what they have on the horizon.

If I get the account thing sorted out,  I will PM you and maybe we will cross paths.

I've been waiting impatiently for Darkfall Unholy Wars to release and while I had fun in GW2 I was looking for something to do that had meaning and consequences.

I fall in love with EVE every 8 months or so, and every time I fall hard. It really is an immersive and deep game when given the chance. I also sometimes play a more traditional, avatar-based MMO on the side (WoW, Rift, Aion, SWTOR, etc) to keep things varied.

Typically I think they have to lock you first, so yes. Although I believe there is a module that allows them to scan without locking, but can't remember the specific module name to confirm.

• newchemicalsnewchemicals Member Posts: 43
    You can find scanners in the usual spots, Jita, trade hubs or trade route bottlenecks where all high sec traffic must pass through. You will see players with less than 0 secuity rating etc. The standard rule of don't be afk when transporting valuables and when you do transport valuables, make it as hard as possible for someone to try and gank you. A Drake using warp to 0 is probably tough enough to scare them off. An interceptor is pretty tough to gank as well.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Typically I think they have to lock you first, so yes. Although I believe there is a module that allows them to scan without locking, but can't remember the specific module name to confirm.

Most cargo scanning chars are using passive targeting systems. It means they can lock onto your ship without you knowing it. They still have to lock to scan your ship though.

*edit* new thread created for further questions!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5488976/thread/373608#5488976

Thanks all