Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: State of the Game #2 Published

13»

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    what did they do to make the framerate so bad on SWTOR? when I used to play it ran fine but now its a slide show.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    snip

1) Is this guy for real? In that case, every F2P game is a P2P MMO with a free to play option. Planetside 2 has a sub option.

2)There is no evidence of a population drop of active players.  http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/07/ncsoft-3q-report-shows-gw2-at-top-of-global-sales/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/30/korean-analysts-predict-guild-wars-2-expansion-in-2013/

Guess that means they are losing players? Lol. 

3) (because you can't count properly) All new mmos earn new players at a F2P launch, duh. Give it time. There may be new subs, but less subs now then there were a few months ago. 

4) SWTOR has added 1 new operation, a daily quest area, space mission "heroic modes" and like 2 new space missions, and a warzone. In that time frame GW2 has added tons of new events, a new spvp map, new mini dungeons, fractals (which is 9 new mini dungeons) and 3 massive events with tons of content each. Not to mention a whole new zone. Sure, some of thats temporary content, but it still is content. I would say wether or not GW2 has added more content is debatable. Thing is, you have to pay to enjoy most of that content in SWTOR. Space missions: Buy a pass, Warzone: Buy a pass, Operation: pay a sub, buy daily area.

Just wait until a couple of months from now when all you have is a failed illum revamp and GW2 has 2 more content patches. 

Move along to a thread where you argument actually holds onto the straws you are attempting to grab.

Just to add to what you're saying, I played GW2 at launch, took a break and started playing again before Christmas and the first time I logged in checked the servers to see how the population had faired and to my surprise the servers were still packed, many showing high, several full and the rest medium, GW2 is showing no signs of a mass population drop off. I think I agree about the content also, the January and February updates are meant to be so large for GW2 you can call them an expansion according to the last interview so I don’t think the less content argument will hold water soon.

It's going to be interesting to see what is done with Illum as it was a major let down at launch, all the other additions sound great but actions speak louder than words so I reserve judgment until I see how things pan out.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Well, if they really, seriously do something about the PvP in the game to make it less of a grind, I might consider giving it another whirl in a few months, despite the horrible F2P model.

I did enjoy PvP tremendously in TOR, even though the warzones turned into a massive borefest. I attained Elite Warlord in valor, without ever participating in the Ilum massacre (was republic).

They have a chance to start with a clean slate for all players with the level cap raised to 55 and to step away from grinding expertise so you can own the poor sods who came later than you for weeks.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Once I accepted SWTOR for what it is - a fun online co-op game with many MMO-like features - I was able to have fun with it.

I do know that SWTOR is not a Massive Multiplayer Online game - there will never be massive battles on the planets or in space. I enjoy the PVP it does have but I know this game will never be the long-term game I was hoping for. It will be a game I return for a few months when I get the itch and leave when the itch has been scratched.

Which is why the F2P should not be as restrictive as it is or have a monthly fee, and basically be like TSW - B2P

I would pay a monthly fee to Red Dead Redemption before I pay a fee for this, at least it got updated more often, and the last update was free as thanks from Rockstar for the support players gave it.

Games like Star Wars battlefriont, Jedi Knight and Republic Commando which were released ages ago, and Jedi Knight was before SWG, are still being played online by people today - These are the best places for online Star Wars action.

If you believe that the F2P model on SWTOR is restrictive, dont play Lotro or AoC. And maybe u didnt notice it yet, but TOR is earning new players and subs everyday, so far the F2P is an success.

I play LOTRO and it definately is less restrictive than SWTOR. The thing I like about it, is that you can earn Turbine points as you play - you get awarded for playing the game. The only way to earn CC is by paying

Also  can purchase more than 2 char slots, with 17 max

The only way to earn CC is by paying real money, correct, but anything bought with CC can be bought via the GTN or other players with credits - which you do earn via playing the game

• zzx81zzx81 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by davestr1zl

Once I accepted SWTOR for what it is - a fun online co-op game with many MMO-like features - I was able to have fun with it.

I do know that SWTOR is not a Massive Multiplayer Online game - there will never be massive battles on the planets or in space. I enjoy the PVP it does have but I know this game will never be the long-term game I was hoping for. It will be a game I return for a few months when I get the itch and leave when the itch has been scratched.

Which is why the F2P should not be as restrictive as it is or have a monthly fee, and basically be like TSW - B2P

I would pay a monthly fee to Red Dead Redemption before I pay a fee for this, at least it got updated more often, and the last update was free as thanks from Rockstar for the support players gave it.

Games like Star Wars battlefriont, Jedi Knight and Republic Commando which were released ages ago, and Jedi Knight was before SWG, are still being played online by people today - These are the best places for online Star Wars action.

If you believe that the F2P model on SWTOR is restrictive, dont play Lotro or AoC. And maybe u didnt notice it yet, but TOR is earning new players and subs everyday, so far the F2P is an success.

I play LOTRO and it definately is less restrictive than SWTOR. The thing I like about it, is that you can earn Turbine points as you play - you get awarded for playing the game. The only way to earn CC is by paying

The only way to earn CC is by paying real money, correct, but anything bought with CC can be bought via the GTN or other players with credits - which you do earn via playing the game

Your reply is only valid when F2P/Prefered Status are able to hold at least 1 or 2 mil of credits.

Who can buy anything from the GTN with such a negligible and minimal amount on the credit cap? So buying CC items from GTN is non-existant. How many items can you find that are sold lower than 350k may i know??

Originally posted by zzx81
    Originally posted by davestr1zl

Your reply is only valid when F2P/Prefered Status are able to hold at least 1 or 2 mil of credits.

Who can buy anything from the GTN with such a negligible and minimal amount on the credit cap? So buying CC items from GTN is non-existant. How many items can you find that are sold lower than 350k may i know??

I've seen virtually EVERY unlock available for well under that price at one point or another. People know now that its stupid to list for higher as it wont sell, so that was only a problem that existed in the first week or 2 and is no longer prevalent. I regularly see the most common ones (inventory unlocks, cargo hold unlocks, customisation unlocks, section X authorizations, the occasional weekly warzone pass, etc) on the GTN practically every single day for well under that price.

Secondly, if they werent listed under that price (which is rare nowdays) you can always trade with players for items of equivalent value like numerous molecular stabilizers or something if the person selling feels its worth significantly more than 350k for whatever reason.

This very second available on the GTN on this server there's 'legacy name unlock' for 55k, over a dozen '10 additional GTN sale slots' for 55k ea, ~10 'inventory unlocks' for 98k ea, 5 quickslot unlocks for 120k ea, over a dozen 'cargo hold unlocks' for 180k ea, 2 'Section X unlocks' for 299k ea..... etc

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

No it's not.  In SWTOR you level to the current cap without paying any cash.  Good luck doing that in LOTRO, just the vanilla level cap, just by questing.  You'll need to grind a LOT of mobs and deeds.  That's VERY restrictive in my book.

I don't think you can call an MMO F2P if it doesn't give you the released zones and quests for free.  There shouldn't be anything in an MMO store for unlocking quests to get you to the release level cap.  They shouldn't exist because that content should be free.  SWTOR got that part right.

Then by your own words SWTOR is not free to play. You can't do operations, you have to buy access to flashpoints more then a few times a week...and warzones. Don't you have to buy daily quest hubs in SWTOR? You even have to buy access to space missions! I agree that with LOTRO you need to pay a sub to enjoy the game, but you need to do it in SWTOR as well. The story is not that compelling in general for most class stories, and even the good ones don't compare to any single player RPG Bioware has ever made. 

But let's not compare SWTOR to LOTRO, lets compare it to another game that is currently free. Planetside 2, a game where you don't need to pay a cent to access all the content. Sure, there are boosters and whatnot, but the same is available in SWTOR. Thats not the argument here, wether SWTOR is P2W or not is irrelevent. The argument is wether or not SWTOR has a restrictive F2P model. The more modern F2P model is something you see in PS2. I can assure you that game is earning more money then SWTOR is. 

Not to mention that GW2 also exists. GW2 has no sub and offers just as much content, if not significantly more (we will see over the next couple of months), then SWTOR. Sure, it's B2P but that buy in is certainly getting cheaper. The buy in for SWTOR will always remain the same to access the whole game without restrictions: 15$ a month. 

1) SWTOR is not F2P, is a P2P MMO with a free to play option.

2) GW2 is B2P and the population drop of active players was huge compared with swtor after 3 months, even now.

2) The F2P model on SWTOR is a success, that is out of discussion, they are earning new players, new subs and more money, so why they will change?. 

4)GW2 more content than SWTOR?, just no. 

Somebody said that you have to look at a newbie areas to see if the game is growing... and I check them on my server every day... newbie areas are packed every day... in fact there are more players on first planets right now then it was when they introduced F2P. And it's moving up slowly to higher level planets.

In general chat you can see many comments about players saying that they just subbed... from F2P status.

Maybe it's just my server, but there are no negative comments in general chat about game, there is lots of grouping going on and hunts for WBs. There are plenty of random group invites while questing LOL, which I take most of the time, though I am not fan of it.

People are very helpful, it's a pleasure to be in such great community. I remember one person stucked in some very bizzare place on Taris two days ago and she could not get unstucked for some reason... she picked really bad spot to stand LOL,  and her call was down. She asked for help and immediately  about 10 people ran to her location trying to figure out how to get her out... finally they managed to kill her... still not sure how...  but it worked.  It was reall fun to watch them scratching their head over it... but willing to do no matter what to help... well it was Pub side... /grin... good luck with it in Empire LOL j/k

That's funny, I have a few friends that are still playing it, and they say the exact opposite. Go figure right?
    Which is what is pushing them to unsub, due to the vitriol comments about F2Pers.

Well I would say either your friends are playing at 3am or they are lieing and don't play at all.  I was on today started a new toon.   And at 2pm in the afternoon Korriban had 3 instance going on.  For those who don't know because they never played SWTOR and just post on swtor because of some weird  obsession Korriban is a stater area. 

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by SBFord

The latest Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game letter has been posted on the official site. Executive Producer Jeff Hickman speaks briefly about what the team has accomplished, hints at a new special PvP zone incoming and then moves on to the hot topics the community has been discussing since the last SotG letter, including news about same gender romances for those who have been waiting so long.

Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP? Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP.

Read the full letter on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

At least they still admint they are incompetent and cannot manage actually having a galactic war in the Star Wars settings.

Moronic studio that has ruined the Star Wars license worse than I could imagine.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

That's funny, I have a few friends that are still playing it, and they say the exact opposite. Go figure right?
    Which is what is pushing them to unsub, due to the vitriol comments about F2Pers.

Well I would say either your friends are playing at 3am or they are lieing and don't play at all.  I was on today started a new toon.   And at 2pm in the afternoon Korriban had 3 instance going on.  For those who don't know because they never played SWTOR and just post on swtor because of some weird  obsession Korriban is a stater area. 

That confirms what I saw on my server.  Packed newbie zones and  higher then usual population in the low and medium planets, I really do not see any bad comments on forums about F2P players. And I follow General chat most of the time, because it can be really entertaining LOL. By the way I play on The Ebon Hawk. Great Server image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by MMOdad72

The latest Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game letter has been posted on the official site. Executive Producer Jeff Hickman speaks briefly about what the team has accomplished, hints at a new special PvP zone incoming and then moves on to the hot topics the community has been discussing since the last SotG letter, including news about same gender romances for those who have been waiting so long.

Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP? Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP.

Read the full letter on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

At least they still admint they are incompetent and cannot manage actually having a galactic war in the Star Wars settings.

Moronic studio that has ruined the Star Wars license worse than I could imagine.

It is primarily a pve game. It was designed from the ground up as a pve game. It was advertised as a pve game. Pve will only ever be the primary focus with pvp a mini-game at best allowing a reward system to keep most pvp players happy without conflicts with pve progression.

This is exactly how Wow did it. So if you have any issues with Star Wars not having much war in it then you will need to look at why World of Warcraft has no war in it's world either.

The issues here is expectations. A huge quantity of posts here are people complaining about the game not being what they personally wanted. This has absolutely nothing to do with the game in it's current form and design. It is nothing more than crying about not getting the right gift at Christmas. The players that enjoy it obviously enjoy a different type of game and/or enjoy it for what it is regardless.

Fact is that there are certain changes coming to appease more open system fans and also traditional themepark mmo fans. Current content focus is on expanding and fixing existing content with additional systems to be added at a later date (due to being built from the ground up). Their existing content progression is more or less on shedule. Additional features have been delayed and revalued due to F2P conversion and team changes.

I have more than a few issues with the current state of the game but it is exactly that ... current. If you haven't played the game recently you have no opinion to express. Wanting something the game currently does not offer is completely different than recognizing what is important for it right now. A far more detailed content schedule would be damn nice but open space combat and massive world pvp are so far down the list of importance at this time that is should be painfully obvious to anyone who has logged in and played a few hours recently.

My one major gripe about the State of the Game #2 is the total lack of mention about anything related to quality of life features promissed only a short time ago at the guild convention but I also have to recognize the significant impact of team and game changes recently and simply wait.

Also, the Star Wars license wasn't ruined. This is Kotor and Bioware can do pretty much what ever the hell they want with it. It isn't canon. Disney will likely never have anything to do with Kotor time period and is focusing on continuing the new republic timeline. They can make a mmo based on canon material all by themselves at any time that has absolutely no conflict with Swtor.

You stay sassy!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    EA has pretty much written this game off.  You will continue to see small updates, but they will not be adding a lot of new content.  They basically have a  small team doing this.  
  • pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    EA has pretty much written this game off.  You will continue to see small updates, but they will not be adding a lot of new content.  They basically have a  small team doing this.  

Basically this post could not be further from the truth.  Its amazing how some have no clue WTH they are talking about, but still feel the need to show us how little they actually know by posting. 

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Rise of the Hutt Cartel

The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel

• Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!
    • Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.
    • The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.
    • Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    It is primarily a pve game. It was designed from the ground up as a pve game. It was advertised as a pve game. Pve will only ever be the primary focus with pvp a mini-game at best allowing a reward system to keep most pvp players happy without conflicts with pve progression.

This is exactly how Wow did it. So if you have any issues with Star Wars not having much war in it then you will need to look at why World of Warcraft has no war in it's world either.

The issues here is expectations. A huge quantity of posts here are people complaining about the game not being what they personally wanted. This has absolutely nothing to do with the game in it's current form and design. It is nothing more than crying about not getting the right gift at Christmas. The players that enjoy it obviously enjoy a different type of game and/or enjoy it for what it is regardless.

Fact is that there are certain changes coming to appease more open system fans and also traditional themepark mmo fans. Current content focus is on expanding and fixing existing content with additional systems to be added at a later date (due to being built from the ground up). Their existing content progression is more or less on shedule. Additional features have been delayed and revalued due to F2P conversion and team changes.

I have more than a few issues with the current state of the game but it is exactly that ... current. If you haven't played the game recently you have no opinion to express. Wanting something the game currently does not offer is completely different than recognizing what is important for it right now. A far more detailed content schedule would be damn nice but open space combat and massive world pvp are so far down the list of importance at this time that is should be painfully obvious to anyone who has logged in and played a few hours recently.

My one major gripe about the State of the Game #2 is the total lack of mention about anything related to quality of life features promissed only a short time ago at the guild convention but I also have to recognize the significant impact of team and game changes recently and simply wait.

Also, the Star Wars license wasn't ruined. This is Kotor and Bioware can do pretty much what ever the hell they want with it. It isn't canon. Disney will likely never have anything to do with Kotor time period and is focusing on continuing the new republic timeline. They can make a mmo based on canon material all by themselves at any time that has absolutely no conflict with Swtor.

Just love the post. Get ready for the "attack of the SWTOR haters" though if they have not already abondoned the thread. I've been trying to say much the same, but unlike me, you have sat down and made a very good mention of some of your own beefs with the game. I thank you for defending peoples ability to enjoy and play what they want.  I know that I'm excited to see what comes.  While I've already purchased the expansion I've let my sub lapse. If things go better I know I'm looking forward to SWTOR possibly getting all their ducks in a row.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
    Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Basically this post could not be further from the truth.  Its amazing how some have no clue WTH they are talking about, but still feel the need to show us how little they actually know by posting. 

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Rise of the Hutt Cartel

The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel

• Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!
    • Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.
    • The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.
    • Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!

You do know that everything in this 'expansion' - Makeb, new levels, new story, new abilities (as well as other things which may or may not be included such as the Cathar race and a new space combat mission) were all meant to come out last year in 2012, and for free.

This is either content they finished a long time ago and are holding off releasing to space out their content releases to make it look like they're doing regular updates, or its ~3-6+ months late and being charged for when it was originally meant to be free. We know absolutely _nothing_ about any new content that we didnt already no 7 months ago.

The dev team faced not 1, but 2 separate rounds of lay-offs, on top of EA themselves calling the game a disappointment. It is undeniable that the team they have working on it is significantly smaller than it once was, and thus the content released will be significantly less in either size, frequency or most likely both (which was incredibly iregular before the layoffs even happened anyway).

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by MMOdad72

I wanted it to be good, and it still isn't good in it's current form and design. You're crying about criticism aimed at the game from my perspective. Good for the people who enjoy it, but to me it sucks.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011