Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: State of the Game #2 Published

Comments

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Clang. The sound of my jaw dropping. i didn't think that was possible with a SWTOR post anymore.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Once I accepted SWTOR for what it is - a fun online co-op game with many MMO-like features - I was able to have fun with it.

I do know that SWTOR is not a Massive Multiplayer Online game - there will never be massive battles on the planets or in space. I enjoy the PVP it does have but I know this game will never be the long-term game I was hoping for. It will be a game I return for a few months when I get the itch and leave when the itch has been scratched.

Which is why the F2P should not be as restrictive as it is or have a monthly fee, and basically be like TSW - B2P

I would pay a monthly fee to Red Dead Redemption before I pay a fee for this, at least it got updated more often, and the last update was free as thanks from Rockstar for the support players gave it.

Games like Star Wars battlefriont, Jedi Knight and Republic Commando which were released ages ago, and Jedi Knight was before SWG, are still being played online by people today - These are the best places for online Star Wars action.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Once I accepted SWTOR for what it is - a fun online co-op game with many MMO-like features - I was able to have fun with it.

I do know that SWTOR is not a Massive Multiplayer Online game - there will never be massive battles on the planets or in space. I enjoy the PVP it does have but I know this game will never be the long-term game I was hoping for. It will be a game I return for a few months when I get the itch and leave when the itch has been scratched.

Which is why the F2P should not be as restrictive as it is or have a monthly fee, and basically be like TSW - B2P

I would pay a monthly fee to Red Dead Redemption before I pay a fee for this, at least it got updated more often, and the last update was free as thanks from Rockstar for the support players gave it.

Games like Star Wars battlefriont, Jedi Knight and Republic Commando which were released ages ago, and Jedi Knight was before SWG, are still being played online by people today - These are the best places for online Star Wars action.

If you believe that the F2P model on SWTOR is restrictive, dont play Lotro or AoC. And maybe u didnt notice it yet, but TOR is earning new players and subs everyday, so far the F2P is an success.

Originally posted by hikaru77

If you believe that the F2P model on SWTOR is restrictive, dont play Lotro or AoC. And maybe u didnt notice it yet, but TOR is earning new players and subs everyday, so far the F2P is an success.

I play LOTRO and it definately is less restrictive than SWTOR. The thing I like about it, is that you can earn Turbine points as you play - you get awarded for playing the game. The only way to earn CC is by paying

Also  can purchase more than 2 char slots, with 17 max

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by Celcius

The expansion is going to be the nail in the game's coffin.

I doubt it.  It will make them money based on what many players have been saying.  People are always glad to get level increases and the players that have stuck with SWTOR this long aren't going to bail now that they have something new coming up.

It is a bad precedent, but one that was set by other developers like Turbine.  It's come to the point where developers just need to add a single zone, new quests and a level cap increase.  The people will still buy it. 

As a lifer I got the last two LOTRO expansions for free.  I quit the first one as soon as I hit the level cap.  I quit RoR soon after gaining only one of the five added levels.  I would never support EA by buying an "expansion" like Makeb.  But just because i think it's appalling, that doesn't mean their fanboys will.  Many SWTOR subscribers are excited for this update and are happy to pay the $10 for it.  Hell, they've been paying $15 a month and getting nothing in return for it.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Let's see where the game stands a few months from now. To me, a successful MMO is one that produces a significant amount of content every few months. (Regardless of patch interval size) 

SWTOR's content additions, even compared to other free to play games, has produced less content since launch then most MMOs do years after launch. The raids are miniature, the daily quest hubs are a joke, the flashpoints are decent..but they were done before launch so the quality will drop from this point forward, and the warzones are good.

Considering how much they have actually added to the game though...its pretty sad. In a year they added 3 raids, one of which was just bosses added to a current raid, for a grand total of 14 raid bosses. The next WoW patch has 13 raid bosses. 

Every patch in nearly every MMO that adds daily quests adds them pretty much in every content patch, so thats not exactly content. They didn't even add thay many of those. Once 5.2 is out for WoW they will have added 2 of them in MoP alone. (Around 4-5 months) Flashpoints are great, but they have not added them since SWTOR started its decline. Let's see what they look like with the smaller dev team. Space missions? Is that a joke? I can't really contest the Warzones because those are pretty solid, but that does not excuse how completely broken PvP has been since 1.2. 

Just a note: Mirkwood was only 10$ and added 3 player instances and a new raid. It was also only 10$ for free players and now you can even purchase the game with turbine points. Bioware and EA in their money grubbing way, only allows you to purchase the expansion with cash and not cartel coins for an insignificant amount of content.

I play LOTRO and it definately is less restrictive than SWTOR. The thing I like about it, is that you can earn Turbine points as you play - you get awarded for playing the game. The only way to earn CC is by paying

No it's not.  In SWTOR you level to the current cap without paying any cash.  Good luck doing that in LOTRO, just the vanilla level cap, just by questing.  You'll need to grind a LOT of mobs and deeds.  That's VERY restrictive in my book.

I don't think you can call an MMO F2P if it doesn't give you the released zones and quests for free.  There shouldn't be anything in an MMO store for unlocking quests to get you to the release level cap.  They shouldn't exist because that content should be free.  SWTOR got that part right.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

No it's not.  In SWTOR you level to the current cap without paying any cash.  Good luck doing that in LOTRO, just the vanilla level cap, just by questing.  You'll need to grind a LOT of mobs and deeds.  That's VERY restrictive in my book.

I don't think you can call an MMO F2P if it doesn't give you the released zones and quests for free.  There shouldn't be anything in an MMO store for unlocking quests to get you to the release level cap.  They shouldn't exist because that content should be free.  SWTOR got that part right.

Persoanlly I think that was wrong, they should have charged for 2 planets at a time instead of restrcited XP and UI bars and the weekly passes should be a once unlock. makeb should be free to subs, but charged for F2P

Paying for content is better than UI bars, as a game is all about content, that is what you pay a monthly fee for

Also the other thing is that SWTOR is restricted to 2 chars only. LOTRO you can unlock as many as you want up to 17 per server.

Then by your own words SWTOR is not free to play. You can't do operations, you have to buy access to flashpoints more then a few times a week...and warzones. Don't you have to buy daily quest hubs in SWTOR? You even have to buy access to space missions! I agree that with LOTRO you need to pay a sub to enjoy the game, but you need to do it in SWTOR as well. The story is not that compelling in general for most class stories, and even the good ones don't compare to any single player RPG Bioware has ever made. 

But let's not compare SWTOR to LOTRO, lets compare it to another game that is currently free. Planetside 2, a game where you don't need to pay a cent to access all the content. Sure, there are boosters and whatnot, but the same is available in SWTOR. Thats not the argument here, wether SWTOR is P2W or not is irrelevent. The argument is wether or not SWTOR has a restrictive F2P model. The more modern F2P model is something you see in PS2. I can assure you that game is earning more money then SWTOR is. 

Not to mention that GW2 also exists. GW2 has no sub and offers just as much content, if not significantly more (we will see over the next couple of months), then SWTOR. Sure, it's B2P but that buy in is certainly getting cheaper. The buy in for SWTOR will always remain the same to access the whole game without restrictions: 15$ a month. 

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Did you really just compare a game that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a month to TOR and ask why TOR can't put out that level of content?

Really?  No, I mean...REALLY?

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Then by your own words SWTOR is not free to play. You can't do operations, you have to buy access to flashpoints more then a few times a week...and warzones. Don't you have to buy daily quest hubs in SWTOR? You even have to buy access to space missions! I agree that with LOTRO you need to pay a sub to enjoy the game, but you need to do it in SWTOR as well. The story is not that compelling in general for most class stories, and even the good ones don't compare to any single player RPG Bioware has ever made. 

But let's not compare SWTOR to LOTRO, lets compare it to another game that is currently free. Planetside 2, a game where you don't need to pay a cent to access all the content. Sure, there are boosters and whatnot, but the same is available in SWTOR. Thats not the argument here, wether SWTOR is P2W or not is irrelevent. The argument is wether or not SWTOR has a restrictive F2P model. The more modern F2P model is something you see in PS2. I can assure you that game is earning more money then SWTOR is. 

Not to mention that GW2 also exists. GW2 has no sub and offers just as much content, if not significantly more (we will see over the next couple of months), then SWTOR. Sure, it's B2P but that buy in is certainly getting cheaper. The buy in for SWTOR will always remain the same to access the whole game without restrictions: 15$ a month. 

1) SWTOR is not F2P, is a P2P MMO with a free to play option.

2) GW2 is B2P and the population drop of active players was huge compared with swtor after 3 months, even now.

2) The F2P model on SWTOR is a success, that is out of discussion, they are earning new players, new subs and more money, so why they will change?. 

4)GW2 more content than SWTOR?, just no. 

Where did I say instances should be free to the level cap?  I said quests and by that I meant world quests in the zones.  In SWTOR you can reach the vanilla cap and no one ever has to pay a cent to hit the vanilla level cap.  In LOTRO they have zone unlocks on the way to the vanilla cap.  Got it?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Also mentioned in Hickmans letter....SAME SEX MARRIAGE(to an npc) is being added to the game.

This is another reason  why I will  never play the game.

Finally...they're patching in teh ghey.image  I wonder if my BH will be able to romance Blizz?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

2) GW2 is B2P and the population drop of active players was huge compared with swtor after 3 months, even now.

2) The F2P model on SWTOR is a success, that is out of discussion, they are earning new players, new subs and more money, so why they will change?. 

1. It's a P2P MMO with a free trial to 50.

2. Population might've dropped off, but not to the extent that SWTOR did. No, please don't reference xfire numbers. kthnx. :)

3. It's a SHORT TERM success. We will see what happens after Makeb. :) For now, I will acknowledge that it was a success....for now.

4. If the argument is that GW2 has less content as of now in comparison to SWTOR? I'd agree. However, in the 5 month impasse that SWTOR had, GW2 has more content in the 5-6 months than SWTOR did in it's 5-6 months in. I would say GW2 is going at a rate where in about a year in, It'll have more content than SWTOR has added in 2 years time.

1) Is this guy for real? In that case, every F2P game is a P2P MMO with a free to play option. Planetside 2 has a sub option.

2)There is no evidence of a population drop of active players.  http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/07/ncsoft-3q-report-shows-gw2-at-top-of-global-sales/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/30/korean-analysts-predict-guild-wars-2-expansion-in-2013/

Guess that means they are losing players? Lol. 

3) (because you can't count properly) All new mmos earn new players at a F2P launch, duh. Give it time. There may be new subs, but less subs now then there were a few months ago. 

4) SWTOR has added 1 new operation, a daily quest area, space mission "heroic modes" and like 2 new space missions, and a warzone. In that time frame GW2 has added tons of new events, a new spvp map, new mini dungeons, fractals (which is 9 new mini dungeons) and 3 massive events with tons of content each. Not to mention a whole new zone. Sure, some of thats temporary content, but it still is content. I would say wether or not GW2 has added more content is debatable. Thing is, you have to pay to enjoy most of that content in SWTOR. Space missions: Buy a pass, Warzone: Buy a pass, Operation: pay a sub, buy daily area.

Just wait until a couple of months from now when all you have is a failed illum revamp and GW2 has 2 more content patches. 

Move along to a thread where you argument actually holds onto the straws you are attempting to grab.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Somebody said that you have to look at a newbie areas to see if the game is growing... and I check them on my server every day... newbie areas are packed every day... in fact there are more players on first planets right now then it was when they introduced F2P. And it's moving up slowly to higher level planets.

In general chat you can see many comments about players saying that they just subbed... from F2P status.

Maybe it's just my server, but there are no negative comments in general chat about game, there is lots of grouping going on and hunts for WBs. There are plenty of random group invites while questing LOL, which I take most of the time, though I am not fan of it.

People are very helpful, it's a pleasure to be in such great community. I remember one person stucked in some very bizzare place on Taris two days ago and she could not get unstucked for some reason... she picked really bad spot to stand LOL,  and her call was down. She asked for help and immediately  about 10 people ran to her location trying to figure out how to get her out... finally they managed to kill her... still not sure how...  but it worked.  It was reall fun to watch them scratching their head over it... but willing to do no matter what to help... well it was Pub side... /grin... good luck with it in Empire LOL j/k

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Somebody said that you have to look at a newbie areas to see if the game is growing... and I check them on my server every day... newbie areas are packed every day... in fact there are more players on first planets right now then it was when they introduced F2P. And it's moving up slowly to higher level planets.

In general chat you can see many comments about players saying that they just subbed... from F2P status.

Maybe it's just my server, but there are no negative comments in general chat about game, there is lots of grouping going on and hunts for WBs. There are plenty of random group invites while questing LOL, which I take most of the time, though I am not fan of it.

People are very helpful, it's a pleasure to be in such great community. I remember one person stucked in some very bizzare place on Taris two days ago and she could not get unstucked for some reason... she picked really bad spot to stand LOL,  and her call was down. She asked for help and immediately  about 10 people ran to her location trying to figure out how to get her out... finally they managed to kill her... still not sure how...  but it worked.  It was reall fun to watch them scratching their head over it... but willing to do no matter what to help... well it was Pub side... /grin... good luck with it in Empire LOL j/k

That's funny, I have a few friends that are still playing it, and they say the exact opposite. Go figure right?
    Which is what is pushing them to unsub, due to the vitriol comments about F2Pers.

I have a pair of rose tinted glasses too.

I have a pair of rose tinted glasses too.

Check by yourself... download a game and check newbie areas... everybody can do it... :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Sorry I am not going to use 30 gigs of bandwith to download a game I know I stopped enjoying months ago. 

Did you buy one of those 18$ speeders with lights on it too? (The one that costs as much as the expansion for free players and MORE for sub...)

Sorry I am not going to use 30 gigs of bandwith to download a game I know I stopped enjoying months ago. 

Did you buy one of those 18$ speeders with lights on it too? (The one that costs as much as the expansion for free players and MORE for sub...)

Nope, I am not  fan of ridiculous stuff... the only thing from life day stuff  I got is a tinsel bomb... which is pretty cool... and some fireworks /grin

But I got plenty of cartel boxes LOL... 

But I got plenty of cartel boxes LOL... 

That's all that needs to be said......

/facepalm

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

so i finally get to play hide the sausage in the shower with chewbacca?

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by bakabröd

so i finally get to play hide the sausage in the shower with chewbacca?

Well it looks like only NPCs from the expansion so I guess I'll keep my eye out  for Jabba the Slut.

Also Jeff Hickman is a tool.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    The first thing they need to do is fix the damn codex. It's really hard to gun for 100% completion of a planet when there's so many bugged entries.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.